Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be looking for a review of the VL4.

On a side note, does anybody know why Digitech seems to have made the decision to drop the Vocalist Performer. Everybody I talk to says it's a great unit (I agree), especially for the price. So why did they decide to stop making it?

I'd imagine because the VL2 outperforms it and it's the same price if i recall.

Comment

Digitech acknowledgement of our very own Mr Anderton. Way to go Craig! I guess Digitech is reading this forum

Greetings from DigiTech.

DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 Now Shipping

We are proud to announce the shipping of the latest in vocal technology, the Vocalist Live 2, new from DigiTech and the world's only smart, multi-part vocal harmony processor for guitarists. It's so simple to use: Play, Sing and Harmonize.

Go to http://www.digitech.com/products/Vocalist_Live2/ to discover the Vocalist Live 2. Then go to an authorized DigiTech dealer and sing your heart out. Harmony has never been easier.

Also, be sure to check out the Harmony Central Pro review by Craig Anderton at:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651409

DigiTech
      Memeber of the Blues Brigade

Comment

I must concur that the VL2 works great!! I play in a band with my twin sons and we have the 3 part harmony thing down.....problem is they're going off to college!!! I played last night at one of our regular venues with the folks that will be taking over when they leave for school. The new guys sing a little, but no where near what we usually have, so I used the vocalist, after having just received it and then testing it for about an hour.

I had comments from several of our regular fans that the new guys were doing a great job on the harmonies!!!! They didn't even realize the other guys weren't really singing much!!!!

The only thing I had to do was tweak the mic level on the VL2 so that my mic and the other guys mic could be set at about the same level on the mixer. Other than that I switched between using a third above and below for most songs to a third and a fifth above for some others. A killer box, easy setup and sounds great!!

Comment

So I used the vocalist, after having just received it and then testing it for about an hour.

I think that says a lot right there I always recommend that people never use a new piece of gear in a mission-critical situation without extensive testing, but the VL2 is indeed pretty much plug and play. Glad you're enjoying it!
          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I received a private email from one of the developers of the musIQ technology, and asked if I could quote it in the forum...he said yes, so here goes:

"GARY25302 makes a very interesting point that we’ve seen time and again during our beta trials. Users report that for the vast majority of the time, the chosen harmony note works well, but there are always going to be the odd case where you don’t get what you expect. The cool thing is that without ever telling anyone, we constantly saw guitar players simply adapt a chord or accentuate a note and then get exactly what they want, just as Gary did. We actually didn’t really anticipate this, but we found that guitar players were using their guitar as the user interface – something they understood very well!

"The most common example of this is when a singer may want the harmony to go to, say, a 7th when he is singing the 5th, but was not in the habit of playing the 7th chord. By simply adding the 7th he gets that as his harmony note. Guitar players figure this out pretty quickly – one of the easiest ways to get a specific note you are looking for in the harmony is to make sure it’s in the underlying chord."

Comment

I use a guitar style that is a modified "Nasville Tele" style that utilizes a flat pick and finger picks. This results in very little actual strumming and significant alternating bass with arpeggiated notes of the chord in a simulated finger picking style. My concern is, ... will the resulting harmonies be affected by the single note/double stop style of playing? Thanks

Comment

Hi - sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, and thanks so much for the review. After reading your review I was really even more motivated to go out and get either the VL live 2 or 4. However, when I went to look, it seems the price has gone up. Last month I thought they were quoted as 299 and 399 respectively, now they are 350 and 499! Maybe I got it wrong and they were originally 399 and 499 - but I don't think so.

Thanks,
                Mike
                Mike - http://mikewestwood.com
                Yamaha s90xs, Ovation 1778 Elite T, James Tyler Variax (JTV-69), JBL EON 515, Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, Digitech Vocalist Live 4, Alesis ioDock, Line 6 HD500

Comment

Hey m1westwood,

No sir, you are absolutely correct. The price has gone up within the last week or so. My dealer tells me that in his opinion digiTech could have priced the VL1 and VL2 at twice their initial MSRP and they would still sell like hotcakes !!

It is my understanding that at this time, digiTech is the only company selling this type of voice harmonizer (chord recognition). Once other companies catches on to this breakthrough technology, competition will surely drive the price down.

I've had my VL4 on order since last month. Now they tell me not before Aug 20th. What is up with that !!

To all VL2 owners, please give us your honest opinion of your new unit.

Comment

Wonder if the people who have the VL4 on order will still get them at the purchase price they were when the order was submitted?

Comment

THEY DARN WELL BETTER !!!

Comment

Hey m1westwood,

To all VL2 owners, please give us your honest opinion of your new unit.

I've been following a thread of gigging musicians who were very skeptical about the VL-2 before receiving them but are now providing overwhelmingly positive reviews including gigging experiences with a bunch of different strumming styles. This is the most information I've seen from end users of the product.

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1266055944/m/6951098964

Comment

I've been following a thread of gigging musicians who were very skeptical about the VL-2 before receiving them but are now providing overwhelmingly positive reviews including gigging experiences with a bunch of different strumming styles. This is the most information I've seen from end users of the product.

Thanks for the link. Of course, hearing is believing which is why I posted the audio examples...you might want to check those out and make up your own mind. There willl be additional audio examples, too.

I certainly agree with the guy in that thread who said that "DigiTech has hit a home run."

Comment

WOW this really gives me something to think about, I have been seriously considering the TC Helicon voice live unit....this may change my mind.
                            Monthly Podcast: http://fuzzballrecordsradio.tk/

Or Quixotic Rage myspace info here

Band web page: http://JMBess.googlepages.com/home

Studio web page:http://JMBess.googlepages.com/fuzzballrecords

Great trades with: Stazinish, Silverring233, sirkonks, Facing Failure, yuantian, simplestargazer, Juan M, jcloud, and you can check my ebay account for more!

Comment

Does anyone know when (or if) DigTech will release a VL4 demo video ?

Comment

Playing in different spaces and using different microphones, guitars, amps and/or sound systems will require adjustment on the vocalist live 2. Adjust the guitar volume on the guitar. The mic settings on the vocalist live 2 are essential for getting the best sound. After experimenting using a Taylor T5 to trigger the Vocalist Live 2 into a Fender Acoustasonic JR DSP I have found the following settings sound best to me. Using a SM57 into the Digitech Vocalist Live 2 try starting with

Input --- 2 o clock
                                Compression --- 8 o clock
                                Reverb --- 10 o clock – Room Reverb Setting
                                Enhance --- 8 o clock – Resonance Setting
                                Harmony ---10 o clock – 3rd above and 5th above for most songs

Output guitar into channel 1 of Fender Acoustasonic DSP and use guitar effects on amp. The guitar is passed straight through unaffected by the Vocalist Live 2 settings.

Output the mic from the vocalist live 2 into channel 2 of Fender Acoustasonic with amp effects off.

On some songs I also use a video iPod into channel 2 with bass and drum parts I have previously recorded. I adjust the volume on the iPod to get the right balance between the vocalist live 2 voices, bass and drums and adjust guitar volume from the guitar. The amp has a separate volume control for setting the level to feed the amp into the PA.

I hope this helps you get set up and started with the Vocalist Live 2

Comment

Working...
                                X