Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of curiosity, I went through all the presets (listed in the back of the manual) to see what the VL4 is showing off. Most of the patches, as you might expect from a harmony pedal, are all about different uses of the harmony effects. The rest of the patches are showing off the guitar effects.
    Wouldn’t it be great to compile a list of great “Lead Vocal” effects? .....
    I’m sure the VL4 can produce killer Lead Vocals also. Has anyone come up with some really great “Lead Vocal” patches? What I’m trying to accomplish is perfecting the Lead Vocal so my voice shines, not the harmony voices. I have my harmony pedal set to “momentary” and use the harmonies only as needed so I need really killer sounding lead vocals.
    Any input on setting for Lead Vocals would be greatly appreciated.

Great idea to separate each parameter and work on them independently, I've been using one patch as my experimental patch. Maybe it's time to take advantage of the other 49.

I have no need for the guitar effects. I use the guitar thru into my Korg Acoustic Pandora, into my PA. It's a small box, not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes that I mount on my mic stand. It offers great effects with 50 user presets that I can change on the fly. It also has tap delay so I can keep my guitar delay in perfect timing with the music. Great device for acoustic electric guitar players.

We seem to be thinking on very much the same lines. If you print off my spreadsheet you'll see how similar the patches are in a lot of respects (email : cheye@mac.com" rel="nofollow">ocheye@mac.com). I'm still working away at mine and haven't added my custom patches to the spreadsheet yet. However what suits me may not suit other voices (or other mics).

I think that Digitech have rather missed the mark with the way they have marketed the VL4. A bit more weight (as per TC or Line6) and strength plus a manual that concentrates on the vocal tone first and foremost and the harmonies second might attract more working musicians.

The trouble is it is the harmonies that impress in a shop. I'm sure that loads of people don't buy them because they think of them as a gimmick and likewise some will buy solely for the harmonies not realising just what it can do for your solo vocals.

I didn't realise that Korg did a dedicated 'acoustic' pandora box. I'll have to have a look at it.

Cheers
    Ocheye

Comment

• Are you talking about the Korg Acoustic Pandora PX4A?

Comment

• Are you talking about the Korg Acoustic Pandora PX4A?

Yes. It's the ToneWorks Pandora PX4A Acoustic Personal Multi-Effects Processor. Sounds great through a PA or Headphones. Because you use the stereo headphone out, I haven't gotten it to sound as good through my acoustic amp. I usually use a small mixer anyway with my acoustic amp so it's not much of a problem.
        Again it's small and I can mount it to my mic stand. Nice and convenient.
        There are lots of effects;
        Effect Types:
        DYNAMICS: COMP, LIMITER, EXCITER
        MIC & BODY: C-MIC, M-LARGE, M-SMALL, G-LARGE, G-SMALL, T-LARGE, DRY, LIGHT, NYLON, STEEL, RESO, BANJO, SMALL
        MODULATION & FILTER: CHORUS1-2, 12STR, FLANG1-2, PHASER1-2, TREM1-3, AT PAN1-2, ROTARY, PITCH1-3, DRONE1-2, FILTER, FILTUP1-2, FILTDN1-2, TALK1-2, RANDOM1-2
        DELAY: SLAP1-5, DELAY1-5, PPDLY1-5, ECHO1-5, MULTI1-5
        REVERB: DRYAIR, WETAIR, ROOM1-2, PLATE1-2, HALL1-2, SPRING1-2, BRIGHT
        TONE
        NOTCH
        NOISE REDUCTION

Not to shabby for a box the size of a pack of cigarettes.
        David

Ochey-Thanks again.

Comment

• Anyone know exactly what Band Resonance/Center is and how to use it. I did notice it can produce a telephone kind of sound at one extreme, with that being the exception, what else can it do?

Comment

• I am considering getting the VL4 or the VL-PRO. The difference in price totally does not matter. I realize the vp-pro doesn't have guitar effects and I'm fine with that. Are the features/quality in the vl-pro better than the vl4?

Comment

• I just picked up the VL-Pro! I had a VL 2 so I can't compare it to the 4, but looking at it and the manual there are a few really nice features that the VL4 doesn't have. My favorites are (pros):

- better pre-amp (Soundcraft® low-noise studio-grade mic preamp)
              - Lexicon Reverbs
              - The Pitch correction does not use up one of your harmony voices (i.e. the VL4 was harmony 1,2,3 and a PC lead voice, the VL Pro is harmony 1,2,3,4 and the PC lead voice)
              - more control over the harmony voices. (persona and gender for each voice)
              - harmony pitch correction
              - you can force the harmony to be the exact notes that the midi keys are playing
              - configurable outputs. there are 5 outputs. you can use 1 for each harmony voice and one for a dry lead signal.
              - post processing of recorded vocal material with a DAW utilizing the SPDIF output
              - rack unit: cleaner setup with less cables and no banging it around on the floor (works better with my setup but could be a con for others)

cons:
              - no guitar effects (not a big deal to me, I wouldn't be using them most of the time except for small acoustic gigs in which case I have effects on my acoustic amp)
              - rack unit (no footpedal) You will need to get a midi controller or if you're cheap and don't want a huge controller you will do like I am doing. I use the digitech FS3X (3 configurable buttons) $30.ish and an expression pedal $40.ish maybe less. I will use the FS3X for up/down of the patches and to turn effects on/off. the expression pedal will be for the harmony levels. I believe you can set up the expression pedal for a min and max value eliminating the foam insert some around here are using for the perfect mix on their VL4.

I will post some more info when I have more time with the unit. Good luck with your decision.

I am considering getting the VL4 or the VL-PRO. The difference in price totally does not matter. I realize the vp-pro doesn't have guitar effects and I'm fine with that. Are the features/quality in the vl-pro better than the vl4?
              Tyler King
              Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
              .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
              .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
              -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
              -Digitech GSP 1101
              -Digitech Jam Man Looper
              -Digitech Harmony Man
              -Digitech Time Bender
              -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
              -Lexicon FW810S IO box
              -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• I just picked up the VL-Pro! I had a VL 2 so I can't compare it to the 4, but looking at it and the manual there are a few really nice features that the VL4 doesn't have. My favorites are (pros):

- better pre-amp (Soundcraft® low-noise studio-grade mic preamp)
                - Lexicon Reverbs
                - The Pitch correction does not use up one of your harmony voices (i.e. the VL4 was harmony 1,2,3 and a PC lead voice, the VL Pro is harmony 1,2,3,4 and the PC lead voice)
                - more control over the harmony voices. (persona and gender for each voice)
                - harmony pitch correction
                - you can force the harmony to be the exact notes that the midi keys are playing
                - configurable outputs. there are 5 outputs. you can use 1 for each harmony voice and one for a dry lead signal.
                - post processing of recorded vocal material with a DAW utilizing the SPDIF output
                - rack unit: cleaner setup with less cables and no banging it around on the floor (works better with my setup but could be a con for others)

cons:
                - no guitar effects (not a big deal to me, I wouldn't be using them most of the time except for small acoustic gigs in which case I have effects on my acoustic amp)
                - rack unit (no footpedal) You will need to get a midi controller or if you're cheap and don't want a huge controller you will do like I am doing. I use the digitech FS3X (3 configurable buttons) $30.ish and an expression pedal $40.ish maybe less. I will use the FS3X for up/down of the patches and to turn effects on/off. the expression pedal will be for the harmony levels. I believe you can set up the expression pedal for a min and max value eliminating the foam insert some around here are using for the perfect mix on their VL4.

I will post some more info when I have more time with the unit. Good luck with your decision.

Do you actually have it already? Digitech just started shipping them to dealers a few days ago. Mines been on order for a month from Sweetwater. If you do have it, who did you purchase it from to get it so fast? Or are you a dealer?

I should be getting an e-mail today verifying my shipment.

Comment

• Do you actually have it already? Digitech just started shipping them to dealers a few days ago. Mines been on order for a month from Sweetwater. If you do have it, who did you purchase it from to get it so fast? Or are you a dealer?

I should be getting an e-mail today verifying my shipment.

um, ya... I sort of work at digitech (Harman Music Group) and honestly I was surprised that I could get one this soon!
                  Tyler King

-Digitech GSP 1101
                  -Digitech Jam Man Looper
                  -Digitech Harmony Man
                  -Digitech Time Bender
                  -Lexicon FW810S IO box
                  -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• unpacked the VL4 last nite and hooked it up...right away i noticed the guitar signal was coming thru the amp with the vocals..not good !

after trying every connection configuration it's still like that.

i am Hoping that something is wrong with the unit....certainly Digitech would allow user to split the signal...i don't want my guitar with the harmonies in the PA !

P.S. first impressions are good..works with guitar And keys ....but they could have/should have built a Vocoder/TalkBox into this thing (would spare me from bringing my Digitech Talker to the chain)

Comment

• Nope that's the way it works.

Comment

• i can't believe it...the lower cost VL2 with lesser ability allows separate

guitar /vox outputs !

MAJOR design flaw...i'm packing it up and sending it back..but not before

Digitech has had an earful....

mannnnnnnnn

Comment

• okay, after freaking out, calling the local GC , and talking to Greg from Digitech (thanks ), i'm not trashing the VL4..

run your guitar into guitar input and out of Guitar Thru to amp

run the XLR Left Mono to PA

turn down Guitar Level on front panel all the way

this way you've got a separate guitar signal to amp and separate vocal to PA

i know it seems simple, but the manual does not explain it very well..

use the "ALT GOSPEL" setting and sing "because" by the Beatles

whoa....scary

Comment

• I could be wrong but the guitar thru is an unprocessed signal. Couldn't you use this and turn down the guitar mix knob so that the guitar is not mixed into the signal with the vocals? After all the VL4 is a mixer. Your scenario is what the thru is for. correct me if I am wrong.
                            Tyler King

-Digitech GSP 1101
                            -Digitech Jam Man Looper
                            -Digitech Harmony Man
                            -Digitech Time Bender
                            -Lexicon FW810S IO box
                            -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• The attached Zip file contains an MS xls file for you to keep track of your settings. I used a spreadsheet that was uploaded from "Ph_Dal" in a previous post. I hope he won't mind building upon his work.
                              I hope you'll find it useful, all you need to do is place your cursor in the appropriate setting field, click on the pull down and select your setting. Easy!

Comment

• BRILLIANT!!!

Great job HaloRecordings!

Thank you so much. Great time saver.

And of course kudos to PhDal for his original work.

Comment

Working...
                                X