No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by jstorms
    View Post

Hi, guys...have any of you VL4 or Pro users/performers ran either unit thru a loop station i.e., RC50 and looped the harmonies with good results? Did you use the instr lines in or the aux in? j

I have a loop station on my BOSS GT-10 but I haven't tried it out yet. I'd like to use it record a baseline for my guitar tracks and the over-dub with the lead. I plan to record an instrumental song using the GT-10 and then use the VL4 for another song which includes vocals.
    SoloArtist

The New Eclectic Sound Experience-Join Up!: Martin Owner's Club Day 2009
    www.mariejmiczak.blogspot.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by pickinatit
      View Post

This is what I was thinking. I'm in a classic/modern rock cover band with a female vocalist that does NOT play an instrument. We just run the guitar player thru it and she would still hit the pedal for Harmonies. Trouble is, I haven't been able to get a "realistic" enough sound to satisfy everyone in the band, especially her, but today is the first I recall anyone answering positively to using the VL4 with a female vocalist. I'll try the gold channel with no PC and see what that gets me. Further back I think someone suggested that with a female lead voice I should set the Harmony voices for male ? Does that sound right ?

Well, I AM a female vocalist so maybe I can help.

What you said sounds right. I do the lead vocals but have adjusted some of the patches to include male harmony ranges for a more realistic sound. Otherwise the harmonies would be too high and unnatural sounding. The same deal should go for male lead singers. DigiTech recommends mixing in some female vocals for the harmonies to keep it real and balanced. The Gold Channel is a great place to start but I don't use PC at all. Just get a good condenser mic, (I use Audio-Technica's ATM-710), add some male voices to those harmonies for your female lead and you should be good to go.
      SoloArtist

Comment

• Greetings from Australia,

I have a simple question that relates to the Live Pro version that I would like some help with. Simply put...can I turn the unit harmonies on and off with a footswitch? I have read the manual (which is typically unclear) and I have purchased a Digitech 3 button footswitch. As per manual instructions I have gone in to the settings and followed my nose to add the footswitch type via the units parameteres. Is this all that I do? Should it simple work now by stomping on one of the switches?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
          View Post

Greetings from Australia,

I have a simple question that relates to the Live Pro version that I would like some help with. Simply put...can I turn the unit harmonies on and off with a footswitch? I have read the manual (which is typically unclear) and I have purchased a Digitech 3 button footswitch. As per manual instructions I have gone in to the settings and followed my nose to add the footswitch type via the units parameteres. Is this all that I do? Should it simple work now by stomping on one of the switches?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a vlpro and the digitech 3 button footswitch and it's dead easy to set up. Just go to the Global I/O Setup and choose what you want each switch to do. That's it!

At first I used harmony on/off, preset up, and preset down. But I'm not coordinated enough to hit those properly live. So now I usually set the left one to be harmony on/off, and the middle and right ones to be harmony toggle. That way I can choose how to engage the harmonies depending on the tune.

If you have any problems, let me know.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SoloArtist
            View Post

I have a loop station on my BOSS GT-10 but I haven't tried it out yet. I'd like to use it record a baseline for my guitar tracks and the over-dub with the lead. I plan to record an instrumental song using the GT-10 and then use the VL4 for another song which includes vocals.

Last night I finally hooked up the VL4 to an RC 50 loop station and was surprised at the results. Everything worked fine and the quality of the vocal harmony was better than expected. I pushed the envelope and overdubbed several sets of harmonies one on top of the other and by the time I reached the third round I had a major choir effect going on. After four rounds of overdubbing, the harmonies begin to break down a bit but I ended up happy with the results from experiment. I can see where it would apply in a live situation since it cuts out the time it takes to over dub several harmonies, leaving more time to play fully loaded. It was a fun experiment and if you're in need of a full perfect pitched choir to back you up, then it can be done with few passes in overdub or perhaps on separate phrase tracks. Next time I'll play around with the VLPro and the loopstation to see if I can get an even bigger choir effect. The VL series has certainly turned out to be a most versatile unit.

Comment

• Has anyone used or looked into those small, portable field recorders? The ones that have two built in condensor mics?

I'm looking for something to capture musical ideas as they come to me without having to set up my Multi-Track. I need portability, simplicity and most of all, good quality sound. Also something I can download to my PC and or my Multi-Track (USB).

Anyone have any information?

David

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by HaloRecordings
                View Post

Has anyone used or looked into those small, portable field recorders? The ones that have two built in condensor mics?

I'm looking for something to capture musical ideas as they come to me without having to set up my Multi-Track. I need portability, simplicity and most of all, good quality sound. Also something I can download to my PC and or my Multi-Track (USB).

David

Two other students in my guitar class brought in a hand held recorder with two mics on top. I think it was an Edirol recorder. It definitely did the job and according to our teacher, sounded great.

Sony has two stereo condenser mics on their PCM-D50 with MP3 playback capability and USB for about $500.00. I hear you about setting up a Multi-Track but since most of my recording is done in the studio, its not a problem. I am using the BOSS BR1200CD but am not too pleased with the multiple menu screens and complexity of the unit.

Fostex also has a smaller Multi-Track (8 Track) unit for about $400.00 that will record 4 tracks simutaneously. I think it will burn your CD's onboard as well but you'll want to check that. This MR-8HD CD is not quite as big as the other Multi-Track units.
                SoloArtist

Comment

View Post

Has anyone used or looked into those small, portable field recorders? The ones that have two built in condensor mics?

David

Hi David,

I used to use (even though i used very little) a Pxr4, here is a description:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPXR4

http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD...&category_id=6

they do not sell them anymore, but I have one that I have not use for the longest and if you are interested you can PM me, ok?

I have it without the adaptor (I might have it somewhere, i just need to look for it) but it has a new memory card .

Let me know...

Omar
                  Originally Posted by VÃ****ctor

..Si te separas, espero que no, avÃ****same podÃ****amos vivir juntos, eso si, sin mariconeo...

Originally Posted by artiem

The truest indicator of one's character is how he acts when there are no consequences.

SPAM: FT/FS

Comment

View Post

What you said sounds right. I do the lead vocals but have adjusted some of the patches to include male harmony ranges for a more realistic sound. Otherwise the harmonies would be too high and unnatural sounding. The same deal should go for male lead singers. DigiTech recommends mixing in some female vocals for the harmonies to keep it real and balanced. The Gold Channel is a great place to start but I don't use PC at all. Just get a good condenser mic, (I use Audio-Technica's ATM-710), add some male voices to those harmonies for your female lead and you should be good to go.

Thanks, SoloArtist. I've been following this thread since the beginning and I don't know why, but I had no idea you were a female vocalist. I will have to go back now and re-read thru your posts for settings/advice etc.

I am really primarily interested in using the VL4 for LIVE performances. We've recently added a second female voice to the band (conditionaly, still in the "let's see how it works out stage". And they sound great singing together. I want to use the VL4 for the the "Back up" singer to sing harmonies when the Lead and back-up voices diverge instead of Harmonizing together. (hope you understand that).
                    "I Want To Soak Up The SUNN !! "

Trying to "shred" it [Comfortably Numb] is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa - babalugats85 -

"Fat girls are like mopeds. They're lots of fun 'til your friends see you on one"
                    - TIMKEYS-

Comment

View Post

I wouldn't recommend a condenser mic if the band is a loud rock band. At our last gig, I tried switching back and forth between sets from an AT condenser mic (2010? - not sure of the exact model number) to a Shure SM58. The condenser mic started feeding back at much lower volume levels than the SM58 - too low to allow the vocals to be heard well. I've used the condenser mic in rehearsals at lower volumes and think I've seen a bit of what everyone keeps raving about. It did seem to allow more clarity and take a bit of extra strain off the vocals. But they just don't seem cut out for loud bands in live settings.

Rickeysound

http://www.thetripsband.com
                      Rickeysound
                      http://www.thevynals.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
                        View Post

I wouldn't recommend a condenser mic if the band is a loud rock band. At our last gig, I tried switching back and forth between sets from an AT condenser mic (2010? - not sure of the exact model number) to a Shure SM58. The condenser mic started feeding back at much lower volume levels than the SM58 - too low to allow the vocals to be heard well. I've used the condenser mic in rehearsals at lower volumes and think I've seen a bit of what everyone keeps raving about. It did seem to allow more clarity and take a bit of extra strain off the vocals. But they just don't seem cut out for loud bands in live settings.

Rickeysound

http://www.thetripsband.com

I agree and I brought that point up when I first recommended using condenser mics in a live setting. If you have control over your stage noise they are great. If you are playing in front of a loud rock band, the thing is going to scream like a banshee! Still, some have written that their AT 2010's have been feedback resistant even when used with a full on band, albeit not screaming loud.

If you are doing something akin to heavy metal or hard rock, crystal clear vocals probably aren't going to be your focus anyway. It all works out.
                        SoloArtist

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by pickinatit
                          View Post

Thanks, SoloArtist. I've been following this thread since the beginning and I don't know why, but I had no idea you were a female vocalist. I will have to go back now and re-read thru your posts for settings/advice etc.

I am really primarily interested in using the VL4 for LIVE performances. We've recently added a second female voice to the band (conditionaly, still in the "let's see how it works out stage". And they sound great singing together. I want to use the VL4 for the the "Back up" singer to sing harmonies when the Lead and back-up voices diverge instead of Harmonizing together. (hope you understand that).

My pleasure Pickinatit! That's o.k. I suspect I'm the only female on here. Yes, my main focus is using the VL4 for live gigs as well. Recording is another deal all together but things you learn in the recording studio can very well carry over into your live performances. The acoustics may vary from venue to venue but if you have your vocal effects / harmonies down solid, its not going to matter that much. I'm not big on tweaking but you are free to re-read my previous posts. Well, back to the recording studio!
                          SoloArtist

Comment

View Post

Two other students in my guitar class brought in a hand held recorder with two mics on top. I think it was an Edirol recorder. It definitely did the job and according to our teacher, sounded great.

Thanks,

My little studio is set up for recording also, but for on-the-fly recording, it just takes too long.

Been looking at the Edirol 09HR and the Zoom H2. The Edirol seems to be the flavor of the month and goes for about $399.00 plus the cost of accessories. The H2 is similar but goes for $199.00 and includes the accessories. Seeing a price is a big factor, the H2 is looking good. It even records in surround!

Thanks again for your input.

David

Comment

View Post

Thanks,

My little studio is set up for recording also, but for on-the-fly recording, it just takes too long.

Been looking at the Edirol 09HR and the Zoom H2. The Edirol seems to be the flavor of the month and goes for about $399.00 plus the cost of accessories. The H2 is similar but goes for $199.00 and includes the accessories. Seeing a price is a big factor, the H2 is looking good. It even records in surround!

David

I've ben using a minidisc recorder (Sony) for the last 7 years and it's great. The only bad thing is you can't get them anymore - the iPod having blown them out of the market. If you can find one though - you get a small device that provides excellent quality. I have two actually - one that records only via a line-in and the other that has a mic input. I record board audio off the line-in and place the mic one out into the audience to hear how it sounded "ambient". I've been able to sync the audio to camera video as well. You can get PCM quality if you want it or choose different levels to record - up to 10 hours on the HD model at slowest record but still fine quality.

I believe some music stores may still sell the highest level machines - cost around 400 bucks which is comparable to what others are costing.

Back to the issue of not being a format that is supported anylonger though - I will have to find somehting else to use when the machine dies. I have looked into the ZOOM recorder and I would probably go for that - small, can record live and right to mp3. With the mini-disc you have to convert to mp3 but that's not such a bad issue.
                              Keith (The Whiners)
                              Sample using the VL 4 in a LIVE scenario ... Hear The Whiners using the VL and TC Helicon Harmony G units combined for harmony in recordings at The Whiners Web

Comment

View Post

Thanks,

David

Hey David,

I know, I know. Just to do something simple in the studio with the Multi-Track is a whole-afternoon affair! (I know, I was there yesterday)

Now the BR1200CD is a very advanced unit, but if I were able to record four tracks at a time, (basically mic the band), it would be a lot faster than overdubbing two stereo tracks at a time.

Edirol is actually a BOSS / Roland brand so I would imagine it is a quality unit. I'd like to look into Zoom H2 though. I want something that records quickly and easily and burns the CD's without a laptop and a ton of software. Music files eat up a ton of computer memory so I can't see burning out my laptop for that. Let us know what you decide and I'll do my own research as well.
                                SoloArtist

Comment

Working...
                                X