Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

FWIW, Amplitube 2 still crashes (for me) as a VST in Sonar 7 (for me), as it does in Live 6 - after about 5 seconds. Every other plugin I have is rock solid (including Guitar Rig 2 and Revalver MkII). I can only get AT2 to run if I use the Revalver MkII as a VST wrapper - it then will run all day and night).

The problem obviously is with IKMultimedia's VST implementation, but just though I'd update vis a vis Sonar 7. I have done extensive research into buffers, drivers, etc., but IK doesn not have good stability reputation.

Pity, because I think AT2 has the best sims available (although GR2 and Revalver are very, very close indeed.)

Best Regards,

Chuck
      "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
      http://www.flamencochuck.com

Comment

Just following up my post.

I did a thorough cleaning of my plugin folder, pulling everything that wasn't commercial or a plugin I use frequently. I created a 2nd audio_plugin folder in which to dump everything, so I could still experiment and have access to it through eXT or other hosts, but my Sonar 7 install would be clean. I simplified the directory structure. Then I went into the registry and cleaned out a lot of registry entries, some of which probably dated back to when I was using the fxpansion VST wrapper! A lot of crap buried down in the windows system registry .

So now my Sonar 7 is a lean, mean plugin machine.

I'm not a big advocate of moderation when it comes to plugins - whatever you can afford, why not? - but there is something both cathartic and useful in really simplifying your plugin structure.
        --
        digital lo-fi: A computer full of software and the truth.

Comment

FWIW, Amplitube 2 still crashes (for me) as a VST in Sonar 7.

I'm sorry to hear that, it works fine in Sonar 7 at this end using AMD X2, as well as in Sonar 6 on my laptop using Intel. You do have the latest AT2 update, right? And you instantiate it as a signal processor, not a soft synth?

Consider re-installing it just in case it got corrupted. I used to have problems with AT2 but not since downloading the latest version.
          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

This one threw me a little bit at first. Is it an instrument? A track? A pattern generator where you drag MIDI files into the Track View? A MIDI effect? The answer is none of the above: It generates a step sequencer clip on a MIDI track.

Like other step sequencers (see the attached image), this one has a matrix, with horizontal rows representing a particular note and vertical columns representing a particular beat or sub-division thereof. You click at the junction of a row and column when you want to drop a particular note (or drum hit, or whatever) at a particular time. As step sequencers are often used with drums, it's not surprising that this one integrates with Sonar's drum map feature.

The step sequencer has a seemingly unlimited number of rows (after inserting 130 of them, I lost patience and figured that's enough!). You can mute and solo individual rows, and set a velocity offset or multiply all velocities by a constant. To change this, you click and drag up and down on the number, or type in a value.

Although the screen shot shows only four beats to save space, the sequence can be up to 64 beats long, with up to 16 steps per beat. So not only can you have step sequences, but they can be pretty long and have some pretty fast notes chugging along. This to me is the most important Step Sequencer feature; you're not limited to, say, 4 beats of 16th notes.

There are controls for Articulation, Swing, and Portamento (with an associated on-off switch; of course, the instrument you're controlling needs to support portamento for this to matter). A Mode switch chooses between Poly (being able to enter several notes in the same column and Mono (only one note per column is allowed).

I loaded up Session Drummer 2, and all seemed well at first. But while the sequencer was playing, clicking around too fast on the different tracks to audition the drum sounds caused Sonar to freeze. So I re-booted, and of course, wanted to see if I could make it happen again. It did, and more specifically, I found it happened if I double-clicked on the note name. This was repeatable, so I figured okay, I'll double-click on the note name to bring up the Drum Map Manager only while it's stopped until either I find out that a) there's a fix, or b) there's a problem with my particular system that needs to be tweaked.

Once I sorted that out, everything worked great so let's get to the rest of the features.

I was initially disappointed that when you dropped a note in place, it defaulted to a velocity value and it seemed you couldn't drag the numerical-you had to type it in. Turns out that you can change the value with your mouse scroll wheel, as well as use Shift as a "fine tuning" modifier. Cool! However, next rev, I'd like to see the velocity value darker; it doesn't show up that well against the background.

Another great feature is that you can tie notes together very easily: Just click between them, and hit enter. The series of notes plays as one note, using the first note's velocity.

The Step Sequencer also includes a controller strip along the bottom where you can do the same kind of controller manipulation as in Piano Roll view, which is definitely a most useful addition.

The final feature is a "Fit to quarter note" option, where you can take a four-beat clip and force it to fit into a specific number of quarter notes. This is kind of like "time-stretching" as the notes get stretched to fit into a larger number of quarter notes, and shrunk to fit into a smaller number. For example, if you have an 8-beat, 4/4 sequence and make it fit 16 quarter notes, the sequence plays back at half time.

So is it cool? Yes. I like that you can trigger playback independently of the transport by clicking the Play button on the Step Sequencer itself. I also like that if you make copies of Step Sequencer clips, editing one copy affects them all-unless you specify that one should be unlinked, at which point you can edit it independently.

You can convert an existing MIDI clip into a Step Sequencer clip simply by clicking on it and selecting "Convert MIDI Clip to Step Sequencer." This is useful if you create a drum part from hitting keys or using a controller, then decide you could work more efficiently if you were using the Step Sequencer.

And if it wasn't clear before, you can have as many Step Sequence clips going as you want, even opening up several Step Sequencer clips on a single track.

Comment

One thing you can't do with the Step Sequencer is "lasso" a bunch of notes, then move them around-either to a different row, or different time within the same row. This could be very useful if you came up with a decent pattern with the Step Sequencer, but upon (for example) overdubbing additional parts, you decided you want to retain some of the Step Sequencer part but do a serious overhaul to the rest. Here's an easy way to do it:

1. Select the Step Sequencer clip and go Edit > Bounce to Clip. This converts the Step Sequencer clip into a standard MIDI clip.
              2. Open the clip in the Piano Roll view, and edit away.
              3. Close the Piano Roll view.
              4. Right-click on the clip and select "Convert MIDI Clip(s) to Step Sequencer."
              5. Now the Step Sequencer will reflect the edits you made.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is that when you convert back to a Step Sequence, the order of notes is reversed in the rows-low notes are on the top, high ones on the bottom. Then again, you can reorder them but I'd prefer if the notes stayed in the same places they were originally.

Comment

Hi, Craig,

Thanks much for your response; I've tried everything! (And it crashes in Live 6 also). Tried it again (loading as a sfx, not a soft synth) and it crashed again.)

I am on an Intel Dual Core E6700, Asus MB, etc. and everything else runs flawlessly. I am using ASIO, though come to think of it. I'll try WDM and see what happens.....

But it does run smoothly within Revalver, which certainly makes the VST implementation suspect, IMO....

Chuck

I'm sorry to hear that, it works fine in Sonar 7 at this end using AMD X2, as well as in Sonar 6 on my laptop using Intel. You do have the latest AT2 update, right? And you instantiate it as a signal processor, not a soft synth?

Consider re-installing it just in case it got corrupted. I used to have problems with AT2 but not since downloading the latest version.
                "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
                http://www.flamencochuck.com

Comment

Hi Craig,

I was wondering if you use any of the new East West PLAY vst's and if so, can you talk about how well or poorly they work in Sonar 7? I have a couple of them and they are a bit touchy as it is... I suppose if there are others who've had experience with using these vst's in particular with S7, perhaps they can comment here or start a separate thread?

Thanks,

Andy
                  www.andrewsigler.com

Comment

Hi Craig,

I was wondering if you use any of the new East West PLAY vst's and if so, can you talk about how well or poorly they work in Sonar 7? I have a couple of them and they are a bit touchy as it is... I suppose if there are others who've had experience with using these vst's in particular with S7, perhaps they can comment here or start a separate thread?

There should be some coming here soon for review, but they're not here yet. But if anyone has any experience with these, please post about them here so that everything related using things with Sonar 7 is in one place.

Comment

OK, a couple of questions about the Step Sequencer:

- Can each row send on different MIDI channels/ports? Sometimes I want a pattern to drive multiple kits on a multitimbral(sp) synth/sample. Sometimes I want to use specific sounds from different synths/samplers.

- Can I switch patterns? Am I only limited to having 1 pattern play per instance or are the "banks" of patterns? Can I switch patterns with MIDI keys from a controller?

- Can I record the MIDI output (in realtime)? Lots of times I build arrangements on the fly. Can I record a MIDI track (or multiple takes/tracks) in realtime (while switching patterns, see above)?

Right now I am using SonicBytes ERA as my step sequencer; but I am evaluating solutions for drum pattern/song creation. I was thinking about another (rewire) app like Guru, Fruity, Project5, Live, Reason, etc., I don't like the idea of getting another full fledge app; all I really need is a MIDI drum pattern tool.

If these things are possible I'll be really happy to upgrade; I have 4 Prod on my machine and 6 Prod upgrade never installed. This looks like a great upgrade anyway; sidechaining, z3ta/dimension le/rapture le, external signal processsing, and the linear phase/boost11(?) are probably worth it alone. Really impressive.

Oh and by the way. I really like the way community "insiders" like Anderton and Garrigus are present. Makes me feel really nice.

Well done all.
                      Naked Soul
                      Chicago House Music
                      www.nakedsoulchicago.com

Comment

1. Can each row send on different MIDI channels/ports?

Yes. The SS uses drum maps. Double-click the name of the row to bring up its properties and there you can assign a new channel and/or out port. You can also do it in the Drum Manager.

2. Can I switch patterns?

No. One pattern per instance. But you can have more than one SS clip (pattern) per track. Each new pattern gets its own SS view.

3. Can I record the MIDI output (in realtime)?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but I'm thinking no, you can't do that with the SS view.

Scott

--
                        Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
                        ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
                        http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
                        http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Comment

Geeze,
                          Why do all the developers release simultainiously? (stupid trade shows), reaper 2.0(user beta) and samp 10 also out just recently. How is a DAW Drunk supposed to inbibe it all in a single chug?? ( I'll take the Buss home!). Don't forget to investigate the side chain options in sonar!! The new Midi stuff could be the thing that takes me into the Cake- walking world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot another huge one - I got the Reason 4 upgrade within days of my Sonar7PE upgrade. I guess I'll sleep when I'm dead!

Comment

2. Can I switch patterns?

No. One pattern per instance. But you can have more than one SS clip (pattern) per track. Each new pattern gets its own SS view.

Scott's right, but there's another workaround: Save each pattern on its own MIDI track. Then you can mute/solo the tracks to change "presets."

3. Can I record the MIDI output (in realtime)?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but I'm thinking no, you can't do that with the SS view.

I think he means Groove Agent-type capabilities, where you can mess with the sequencer and record the results while you make changes. I'm on the road so my test options are limited, but perhaps you send the output to a hardware MIDI out port, and loop it back to a MIDI in? Or use the Hubi's MIDI loopback or something?

Comment

Oops! We'll try to fix that in the first patch.

Although I can understand why it is not acceptable fro S7 to crash in these circumstances, what would be the practical use of gluing controller events? As they are essentially modal events, gluing them would not increase their effect, would it? The end result would presumably be like using the old "thin controllers" cal.

Comment

One thing you can't do with the Step Sequencer is "lasso" a bunch of notes, then move them around-either to a different row, or different time within the same row. This could be very useful if you came up with a decent pattern with the Step Sequencer, but upon (for example) overdubbing additional parts, you decided you want to retain some of the Step Sequencer part but do a serious overhaul to the rest. Here's an easy way to do it:

1. Select the Step Sequencer clip and go Edit > Bounce to Clip. This converts the Step Sequencer clip into a standard MIDI clip.
                                2. Open the clip in the Piano Roll view, and edit away.
                                3. Close the Piano Roll view.
                                4. Right-click on the clip and select "Convert MIDI Clip(s) to Step Sequencer."
                                5. Now the Step Sequencer will reflect the edits you made.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is that when you convert back to a Step Sequence, the order of notes is reversed in the rows-low notes are on the top, high ones on the bottom. Then again, you can reorder them but I'd prefer if the notes stayed in the same places they were originally.

Switching from a MIDI clip to a step sequencer clip seems to delete any CC events that are in the clip, which is unfortunate.

Also, apart from switching back and forth between step sequence clip and normal MIDI clip, is there anyway of transposing and/or re-basing the step sequencer's root note? For example, if I want to work in a different register, how can I shift all of the rows up, by, say, one octave? As far as I can see, the step sequencer does not recognise any relationship between rows, so each one has to be altered separately.

Comment

Working...
                                X