Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Craig,

You indicated Logic does not allow you to name Busses. Please forgive me if you are aware as I do not wish insult, but, if you go to Options->Audio->I/O Labels, you can assign Names and Short Names to the Buses that are available.

When you select a bus for a send or I/O option, you will see the menu display your Bus list as: "Bus# (bus name)" respectively.

Had you provided names for the Busses and Logic simply did not pass this info on to the MC Mix? I'm curious to know if this is helpful as we Logic users might want to request this issue be addressed in a future rev...

Comment

Hi Craig,

You indicated Logic does not allow you to name Busses. Please forgive me if you are aware as I do not wish insult, but, if you go to Options->Audio->I/O Labels, you can assign Names and Short Names to the Buses that are available.

When you select a bus for a send or I/O option, you will see the menu display your Bus list as: "Bus# (bus name)" respectively.

Had you provided names for the Busses and Logic simply did not pass this info on to the MC Mix? I'm curious to know if this is helpful as we Logic users might want to request this issue be addressed in a future rev...

Thank you! You are 100% right, but my confusion came about because when I entered ONLY a short name and not a long name, the short name did not show up as a bus label or in the MC Mix. Apparently, it's necessary to enter a long name for the MC Mix to show that in its displays. If it's too long to fit in the display, the MC Mix shortens it intelligently rather than select the short label. Logic, on the other hand, substitutes the short label on-screen if the long label is too long.

Thanks again!
      CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Why is this thing so expensive?

Does it have built in DSP to run plugs?
        He who seeks the truth must doubt everything.

Comment

Why is this thing so expensive?

Does it have built in DSP to run plugs?

Well, list is about $1,399, street is typically $999. Perhaps someone from Euphonix can chime in, but my assumption is that a fair amount of the price went into the Alps motorized faders, and the power supply needed to power them. I don't think the OLED display is cheap, either, but it's a crucial part of the deal--it's so much more informative than, say, 7-segment LEDs or less expensive LCD types. There are also the knobs, a lot of switches, and a fair amount of software development both for the unit itself and for compatibility with various programs.

It also looks cool so the industrial design is probably something that needs to be amortized.

There is no DSP built in to run plugs.

By way of comparison, the Mackie Control Universal is about $100 less (street or list), while the Mackine Control Universal Pro is $1,299 street and $1,549 list. Things with moving faders tend to be costly.

Comment

You are absolutely correct, Craig. High-quality controllers are not cheap to build, and the MC Mix's price is pretty sweet when you consider that it not only has touch-sensitive ALPS motorized faders, but is also the only controller at this price to offer touch-sensitive encoders and hi-res OLED displays. Everyone else is still using the usual encoders with the same low-res LED's that we've seen for years.

Comment

OK, this may seem like a silly question.

The end result of a controller is to use a knob/slider/whatever to control a parameter of the program.

So how would this Euphonix set up compare to Novation's Nocture in regards to an end result?

Novation has the Auto map universal 2.0 and it seems to control everything the home studio musician would need. Right?

So does my mouse, or anything else I can program, but my concern is How much does one spend on a controller, How much of the controller does one really need. What factors would you use to justify the level of want in a controller?

If I am recording and playing back 2 tracks with 3 effects, I don't really need a controller. Where as a mix of many tracks and effect are used, a controller would be a big help. The question here is, how would a less expensive controller (Novation) stand up against a more expensive one (Euphonix)?

Comment

I haven't used Nocture, but I'll google it and see what comes up.

If it doesn't have moving faders, that's a huge point of differentiation right there that may or may not be crucial to what you want to do.

Also, I'm starting to see a "dividing line" forming between control surface concepts: One, like the MC Mix, seems intended to reproduce the experience of using a console in a DAW context. The other seems more intent on reproducing the experience of having an analog synth, with its collection of knobs and faders for real-time contro. With the latter, moving faders isn't as important, because you're using the controls more to program a sound. With the former, moving faders are crucial in terms being able to interact with the audio on a continuous basis.

Comment

I haven't used Nocture, but I'll google it and see what comes up.

If it doesn't have moving faders, that's a huge point of differentiation right there that may or may not be crucial to what you want to do.

Also, I'm starting to see a "dividing line" forming between control surface concepts: One, like the MC Mix, seems intended to reproduce the experience of using a console in a DAW context. The other seems more intent on reproducing the experience of having an analog synth, with its collection of knobs and faders for real-time contro. With the latter, moving faders isn't as important, because you're using the controls more to program a sound. With the former, moving faders are crucial in terms being able to interact with the audio on a continuous basis.

Good point about the dividing line. I have played around with controller assignments in Logic and I could control almost every parameter in Logic using only my DX7 data entry slider.

The smaller more compact Controllers require the operator to select one section (Fader/mix screen, or the Insert screen, or some other screen) at a time, where as a giant Daw control console has faders/knobs/buttons all laid out at your fingertips. Again it all goes back to needs. If you don't needs it, don't gets it.

Comment

Craig: Thanks for the review as I am very interested in these devices.

Can you do us a favor? Look in the memory manager (or whatever Mac calls it) and tell us how much memory the EuCon software uses?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Craig:

Thanks so much for your super in-depth review! I wish I had this much information available to me every time I was considering dropping a thousand bucks!

You mentioned the divide you're seeing developing between console control surfaces and soft synth controller surfaces - can you speak to how well the Euphonix works as a soft synth controller?

I use Logic Pro 8 and make extensive use of the program's internal instruments, especially the B3 emulation, and I'm hoping the Euphonix and its faders will make a useful and somewhat intuitive control surface for that, as well as Logic's mixer.

Again, thanks for all the 411!

Comment

It shows about 60MB usage and 1 GB virtual memory.
                        But you cannot compare Apples memory system to Windows.
                        And you can define, how many channels are stored in ram from Eucon settings.
                        I wouldn´t care about that, RAM is cheap.

You can control B3 emulation with McMix, but as far as I checked it out,
                        you are better off with Novation stuff, where you can assign what to control.

FX and Mixer control is great.

Any Nuendo McMix users around?

David

Comment

Hey everybody - sorry for "going dark" on you, but I've had to get all my video/audio/music gear ready for Frankfurt (I leave in about 10 hours). One of the drawbacks of a hardware pro review is that if I'm traveling, I can't really do anything...but the advantage, of course, is that I can pick up where I left off once I get some of the Frankfurt videos edited. Meanwhile, perhaps some others will have taken the plunge with the Artist Series and continue to post their experiences as well.

See you in about 10 days...although I will be monitoring the thread as much as possible.

Comment

A great review so far. Thanks a lot for that. As soon as a local shop stocks them I'll be trying out the faders. And in the meantime I'll be watching very, very closely for Windows support. I surely hope the devs of my favorite DAW (I do sound design on it mostly) Reaper can be persuaded to support this protocol. Most of the functionality is there, and I'd love to have a good bunch of faders with touch sensitive knobs, set up this well.

Have fun in Frankfurt.

Comment

Thanks for your review. One issue I've not seen mentioned anywhere is that when you're using a volume pedal to control midi volume (CC#7) while recording into logic with a keyboard controller the fader is chattering about trying to deal with the 128 steps of midi verses the 1024 Eucon fader throw. (Perhaps there's a fix for this using the Logic environment but I dont' know of one)
                              It would be helpful to have a toggle in the EuCon software that would "disable faders" in order to deal with this problem. During mix playback this would be a good feature to have as well.

I would also like to see a fix for the faders snapping to to zero when clicking in the finder or another app while Logic is open.
                              Other than that it's a great product and I look forward to future updates and developement.

Best,

John

Comment

Thanks for the review, I bought this thing. (before reading the review)

There are 2 things I wish Euphonics will change here:

1. an option that when scrolling the banks on the MC mix, it should NOT scroll my tracks in my DAW (DP) - Mackie control has a preference for this in the hardware.

2. Give us please an option to lock the MC Mix to my DAW, that it SHOULD stay in focus even when my DAW is in the background.

These 2 things bother me VERY much.

Comment

Working...
                                X