Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Craig,
    Great job you're doing here. I wish I had time to stop over more often.

I hope you won't mind me making an announcement that should be of interest to every M3 owner or prospective owner:

================================================== =========================
    Karma-Lab unveils the Karma-Lab Wiki, a new resource for Korg M3 and KARMA users
    ================================================== =========================

Based on the concept of popular community-authored web references such as Wikipedia.com, the Karma-Lab Wiki (wiki.karma-lab.com) aims to build a library of useful "how to" information for working with the various keyboards, music workstations and software incorporating KARMA technology. Not only does it contain articles about KARMA technology, but general articles covering all aspects of the products that incorporate KARMA (such as Korg Keyboards like the M3, OASYS, Karma Workstation, Triton w/KARMA software and more). Over 90 articles are available at the moment, with more going up daily.

While forums can be an immense repository of wisdom and helpful advice, finding specific information can be difficult due to their conversational nature. The Karma-Lab Wiki is based on the idea of enabling the community to share useful information in an organized manner that facilitates finding the answers and advice they need quickly.

You can search for articles by category or by using the community-assigned tags in the sidebar. For example, use the category menu at the top fo choose the Korg M3 category for all articles specifically located in that category, click on the "korg-m3" tag for all articles that relate in some way to the M3 Workstation (but may also be in other categories), or click on the "pads" tag to see all articles that relate to using the pads on various keyboards.

Thanks for reading!
    Stephen Kay - KARMA Developer www.karma-lab.com
    Karma-Lab Wiki: Korg and KARMA Articles, Tutorials, Resources wiki.karma-lab.com
    Karma-Lab Forums: KARMA Technology and the products incorporating it forum.karma-lab.com
    Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, and not those of Korg.

Comment

I don't mind at all, it's useful information as opposed to mindless hype.

Hopefully when I get into the KARMA section (which isn't too far away...) you can pop over and at least let me know if I'm getting anything wrong.
      CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Hi Craig (and Pro Review readers):

As if you didn't have enough to do, we've just made this review a whole lot more interesting, and deep.

Read about it here:

http://www.korg.com/m3

Info, new MP3's and the OS will be available for download in the next few days.

So... get back to work around here!

Regards,

Jerry
        Korg Guy

Comment

Yes, I had heard rumors this was forthcoming...hence a bit of "holding back" the last few weeks (why write about something that's going to change?).

BUT the rumors didn't really indicate just how deep this update is That's pretty cool. As people can probably figure out by reading this review, I'm quite taken by the M3 and if it does even more...well, guess I'll find out.

Comment

Hi Craig (and Pro Review readers):

As if you didn't have enough to do, we've just made this review a whole lost more interesting, and deep.

Not to mention:

KARMA M3 Software for the Korg M3 Announced

What’s new in KARMA Version 2.2 for the M3 XPanded (v2.0)

Sorry to heap more things to look at on you!
            Stephen Kay - KARMA Developer www.karma-lab.com
            Karma-Lab Wiki: Korg and KARMA Articles, Tutorials, Resources wiki.karma-lab.com
            Karma-Lab Forums: KARMA Technology and the products incorporating it forum.karma-lab.com
            Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, and not those of Korg.

Comment

I had just purchased my M3 in early August - its absolutely exceptional. I cant wait to get my hands on this update and particularly on the Karma software!.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but than you Korg!

Comment

Yes, I had heard rumors this was forthcoming...hence a bit of "holding back" the last few weeks (why write about something that's going to change?).

BUT the rumors didn't really indicate just how deep this update is That's pretty cool. As people can probably figure out by reading this review, I'm quite taken by the M3 and if it does even more...well, guess I'll find out.

The new OS was posted last Friday so have at it:

http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1432

Other files and locations that will help/apply include:

Revised Editor with improved FW latency performance:

http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1385

Converted RADIAS + EDS Combis:

http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=1384

Nice Wiiki article from Stephen Kay/Karma-Labs:
                http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:updating-custom-sounds-to-os2

I thought Craig would want to take the user's perspective of what downloading and installing the OS is like - after all, he's got plenty of extra time for these things, right?

Enjoy!

Jerry
                Korg Guy

Comment

I thought Craig would want to take the user's perspective of what downloading and installing the OS is like - after all, he's got plenty of extra time for these things, right?

Guess it's time to do some serious file downloading...

Comment

I'm downloading now...256MB...

Comment

• Here's a link to the upgrade instructions so you can get an idea of what's involved. Note that you need a USB device with 512MB of storage.

Comment

• Well, that was totally painless. Eveything worked as advertised, and after the second update, the Xpanded logo and the V2.0 messages showed up.

I need to update the editor next and bury myself in manuals for a while...don't know if I'll have a chance to post more before I go off to a session, but there's definitely more to come.

First thing I noticed: The sequencer has a piano roll view!

Comment

• Okay, now Korg has me wanting a touch screen for my desktop computer...

See the attached image for a picture of the piano roll view. Nostalgia fans will appreciate that it's a lot like the vintage Mac sequencer, Master Tracks Pro (and this is a good thing).

Anyway, you can do all the things with this piano roll view you'd expect (zoom), and some things you wouldn't expect (adjust individual controller values). I did find it was convenient to take the stylus from my Palm Centro phone to do things like adjust velocity rather than use my considerably fatter fingers

See the toolbar in the upper right? You can draw notes, extend their lengths, move them around, show a variety of controllers in the controller strip along the bottom, and so on. If several notes land on the same beat, and you want to adjust velocity of one of them, as soon as you touch the note its associated velocity "handle" turns blue, making it easy to adjust one velocity tail out of a cluster of them.

The only limitation I'm seeing is no undo - and Compare doesn't seem to apply. Maybe the legendary Korg Guy knows the secret of undo.

But to get back to the bigger picture, having a piano roll view is HUGE. It makes editing on the M3 an absolute breeze - for the first time with a keyboard's on-board sequencer, my reaction to editing is "Okay, let's fix that note" instead of "Oh crap, I need to fix a note." The piano roll takes the M3 sequencer from scratchpad to way cool production tool.

This is only the first new feature I've checked out, and it's already extremely impressive...good job.

Comment

• The upgrade is sick!

The new piano is fabulous. I haven't messed around with the horns yet because I'm still stuck on the piano.

The new touch screen functionality really does make it the "iKorg."
                            Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9, a StudioLive 16.0.2, HS 80M monitors, 2 ATH M50 headphones, Synths both hardware and software, and a DJ rig using turntables.

Comment

• This update is incredible! The horns sound absolutely fabulous and authentic and just what I need to play some movie/orchestral stuff.
                              The addition of the velocity meters is also very practical

Comment

• I had completely written off the Korg M3 piano before. it sounded every bit as bad as the one I had on my Triton. Not so anymore! I actually *love* the new piano, and it made it into a track the first afternoon.

Actually upgrading the ROM in a synth after its release is just unheard of! I am just amazed by this upgrade.

Also, the VSTi editor works perfectly now in both Live 7 and Cubase 4, where I had previously had no success with either.

now if only they could update the portomento on the EXB radias to allow for a 'fingered' mode..

Comment

Working...
                                X