Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one recently, as I wanted to be able to play along with the jam tracks, having no band. I haven't used it much yet, but my Thrash Metal playing stepson has deemed it SWEET!
    HCGB #332 YAMAHOLIC

Originally Posted by mistersully

if i was in the jungle and got stuck in quicksand... and someone reached out to me with that guitar and said "here, grab hold of this and i'll pull you out"... i'd try and remember the good times when the grainy goo filled my ears and nostrils

Comment

I swapped out the cheesy Celestion Custom for a celestion g12t-100 , upgraded the firmware to the latest , tightened all the screws that someone at the factory forgot to do , bought the ShortBoard and play it through a Gibby LP GT , for a $1100 CAD AMP setup it is a beast. This got rid of the annoying hiss on idle and allowed the amp to have a really deep bottom range with no distortion or clipping the highend. The shortBoard made it much more fun I just wish it was a little cheaper but at least I now have my band in a box and don`t need friends to play with anymore . A great DIGITAL amp .

Comment

(As a matter of personal preference, if I put a cord with a stereo 1/4" jack on one end into the headphone out, with a mono 1/4" jack on the other end that I stick into my Fender Deluxe power amp in, I can get a tube amp sound out of this setup. As with most practice-oriented amps, the Spider Jam's headphone socket disables the speakers when in use.)

That's a cool little tip. I'll have to try that. Thanks!
        Jon Chappell
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
        Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Excellent review. I bought one awhile ago and was surprised how good the clean tones are. I used the outputs to go into a sound card to PC and then used the headpone jack from the sound card as i need the audio from the amp and my pc. Doing this does not disable the speaker so i took a chance and unplugged the speaker and it did not do any damage.

I know you cant do this with a tube amp but i guess with digital amps it is ok...well it still works. Can anyone confirm this to be the case, just to be sure?

As an aside, I have been trying different speakers as well. So far a Vintage30, Alnico blue and Mesa Black Shadow just because i had those on hand. I know for the cleans i liked the Blue the best but the V30 was good all around or even the stock speaker.
          ________
          Martin C.

Comment

As an aside, I have been trying different speakers as well. So far a Vintage30, Alnico blue and Mesa Black Shadow just because i had those on hand. I know for the cleans i liked the Blue the best but the V30 was good all around or even the stock speaker.

I like V30's even on clean stuff. But I agree that the stock speaker is very good in this model. Thanks for the report!
            Jon Chappell
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
            Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

any problems with volume levels when switching between effects?

Comment

Interesting.... I own 2 of the Spider II's. I like the amps for "practice" but have found one thing that drives me bonkers and it would keep me from ever using a Line 6 for anything but practice.....

Channel volume. Set up a channel, save it. Go work another channel, come back and the channel volume is NOT what I set and saved. So say you've got a tone set for a lead... stomp the short board to switch...and the volume maybe close but not quite where you set it....

Two other friends with the Spiders have the same problem. We all use'm for practice but that's it....

Yup, I've got the same problem! It drives me crazy! You're basically trading reliability and consistency for versatility. Works well as a practice amp, but not for live performance!!

Comment

I have a Spider Jam (and used to own a Spider III 75 too). Both of them will properly save Channel Volume on a per patch setting. What you guys are not understanding is that the Channel Volume knob is actually a rotary digital encoder and needs to be handled in that fashion.
                  I've been posting here for years, but lost everything with HC 2.0!

Comment

Working...
                  X