Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume that it is the latest and greatest version of software being tested, i.e. the version announced at HC yesterday?

Very much looking forward to your findings Craig.

Cheers,

Mats N

Yes! That's one reason for the delay. At Summer NAMM I found out updates were coming, so thought it might be worth waiting for them.
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Here's an interesting interview with the people responsible for the updates:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/community/community_stories/ai_update_interview.html

It gives a good overview of the new features.

Comment

Before getting into the reverb, which appears unchanged, I'd like to touch on the updating process.

The Steinberg interview mentions updating as a "one-click process" and while that's pretty much the case for the MR Tools, there are also firmware updates for the MR816 and CC121, as well as a FireWire driver update. Cubase needs to be updated as well if you didn't update previously to version 5.1.

There's also an updated MIDI driver and while I wasn't sure if I needed it or not for the MR816, I do plan to test the Motif XS with the new setup, so figured I might as well update that as well.

I couldn't find any "master update" document, but it seemed like a logical enough process: Update the FireWire driver first (included in the MR tools package), as the firmware update for the MR816 occurs over FireWire. So I did MR Tools, the Firmware (with everything plugged into an uninterruptible power supply - HIGHLY recommended when updating any firmware for any product, as a power failure could leave the device being updated non-functional), the MIDI drivers, and then Cubase. Fortunately, the Cubase update is a patch, not a full update, so it's a quick download and quick update.

The whole process of downloading, reading documentation, and performing the updates (and taking my time so I didn't make any mistakes) took longer than the time I'd allocated for working on the Pro Review today, but after it was all done I booted up Cubase and - success! Everything seems to be rocking 100%.

I should also add that it's really important to read the documentation on updating, as it's well-written and you want to make sure you follow the steps exactly as presented. The only caution is that the MR Tools update does three different updates when launched, and there's a pause between the updates where there's no indication of activity. Be patient; you'll be informed when the update is over.

Good job, Steinberg. More tomorrow.

Comment

Does anyone knows if Steinberg are planning to release a "smaller" card, with 2 mic preamps and the same specs as MR816 ?
          I don`t need 8 preamps.
          I`m thinking about getting the Fireface 400.
          How does the mic pres in MR816 compare to Fireface ?

Cheers!

Comment

Looking forward to your comments on the CC121.

Thank you for the heads up on the updates.

Is there any source of information or discusson on daisy-chaining units together. I have an MR816 X and a CSX. All the presets default to the X reverb choices.
            Woohoo.... Doh!

Comment

Does anyone knows if Steinberg are planning to release a "smaller" card, with 2 mic preamps and the same specs as MR816 ?
              I don`t need 8 preamps.
              I`m thinking about getting the Fireface 400.
              How does the mic pres in MR816 compare to Fireface ?

Cheers!

You beat me to the question. I'm also very much interested in this. I think there are very many musicians who, like us, record a maximum of two tracks at a time but still want the quality of the hardware, the low latency performance and the integration. I know I do!

Cheers,

Mats N
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :
              http://nermark.articulateimages.com

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any "inside knowledge" and am not sure if Steinberg can comment on future product plans...but I'll ask if there are any plans along these lines. We might get lucky

Comment

Thanks mate
                  I find it a bit odd that Steinberg hasn`t released a smaller version.
                  I`ve heard good stuff about the Fireface 400, also the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.. but a bit too much for me.
                  Mats do you have other suggestions ?

Comment

Thanks mate
                    I find it a bit odd that Steinberg hasn`t released a smaller version.
                    I`ve heard good stuff about the Fireface 400, also the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.. but a bit too much for me.
                    Mats do you have other suggestions ?

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions at all.

At present I'm using a TC Konnekt 24D but the drivers are very unreliable and one mic pre died two weeks after the warranty expired so I can't recommend that. Luckily I never mike anything stereo at home so as long as the other one works I'm semi-OK. I would, however, like something reliable right now as the Konnekt 24D can turn belly up anytime. So a MR2?? from Steinberg would suit me very nicly.

Cheers,

Mats N
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :
                    http://nermark.articulateimages.com

Comment

Sorry for the delay...can't seem to add tracks! There's no OK button.

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall and see what happens.

Comment

Just to make sure, I opened Cubase 4...the OK button is there.

Currently uninstalling...

Comment

Fixed! After uninstalling I installed 5.0, then immediately applied the 5.1 update without going through any intermediate update.

Comment

People who've followed my writing for any amount of time probably know I'm not a big fan of artificial reverb - it never sounds like what happens when you clap your hands in a church. However...

I have to say that the Rev-X has impressed me. There are three algorithms, and the Hall algorithm is excellent in terms of avoiding periodicity on long decays, and there's a spacious quality to the reverb tails that recall a real acoustic space. Of course, this is all in DSP within the MR816csx, so your CPU doesn't have to work any harder to get a good reverb sound.

The plate also sounds like, well, a plate. Like a real plate, you want to keep it reasonably short, otherwise you'll hear a periodic change; but within that limitation, it's gorgeous on voice and for certain types of music, drums.

As to the Room algorithm, I found that it was the best option for adding ambience to dry recordings (e.g., drum machines). With short decays and conservative mixes, you can make just about anything sound like it was recorded in a room.

In terms of controls (you'll see plenty of screen shots in the next posts), there are the usual suspects that won't be a surprise to anyone using digital reverbs: Reverb Time, Initial Delay, High Pass Filter, Low Pass Filter (these filters are very useful), Diffusion, Room Size, High Ratio (high frequency reverb time, based on a ratio of the "master" reverb time), Low Ratio (the same concept for low frequencies), Decay Time, and Mix. It's assumed the Rev-X is going to be a send effect so the mix defaults to all wet, but you can also use the Rev-X as an insert.

One reason why I like the reverb might be because the controls are all effective. It's easy to tweak parameters to dial in the sound you want.

Sooo...how about some audio examples and screen shots?

Comment

For all the examples*in this and the next few posts, I plugged an Alesis SR-16 drum machine (yeah, I know it's 20 years old, so sue me - it's still super-fast to set up) into two MR816csx mono inputs and recorded a loop, then a single hand clap so you could hear the decay tail most clearly.

The first audio example is the Hall Algorithm set for a unnaturally big room size and relatively high level. I did this so you could hear the quality of the reverb reflections and decay. The first screen shot shows the settings used to obtain this sound.

The second audio example is a bright Hall sound that has a similarly long decay. The second screen shot shows the settings used to obtain this sound. The most interesting aspect of this clip is that the brighter sound isn't harsher.

Comment

The first audio example is the Hall Algorithm set for a deliberately small size. The sound still holds up as being useful; in fact, I like it alot to give the sound of a well-treated big recording room. The first screen shot shows the settings used to obtain this sound.

The second audio example is your basic plate sound. You'll note the really smooth reflections, and the slight inherent brightness and clarity instead of the more diffused, dark sound of a large hall. The second screen shot shows the settings used to obtain this sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X