Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

NAMM Coverage--What Do You Want To See?

Hey everybody--
As the years have gone on and more and more outlets are covering the NAMM show each year, we thought it would be a good idea to take the pulse of the community and find out what you like and don't like about the way NAMM is covered, not only by HC but in general. Obviously, we want to do more of the former and less of the latter.

For several years now, the focus has been on producing the short, from-the-floor demos and product overviews with folks from each manufacturer. Sometimes quantity is placed above quality, but the goal has always been to show you as much of the show and new products as possible.

Oftentimes, producing so many videos means late nights in the hotel room with room service, editing and rendering until the wee hours. As you probably know, there's a whole other side to NAMM, which is what goes on after hours at private events and parties, and our focus on show-floor videos means we really don't take part in any of that.

So, we're putting it to you. When NAMM rolls around in January, what's going to get you excited and make you feel like you're part of the action? Continue to crank out product vids? Less video, more photographs? After-hours coverage? Celebrity encounters/performances? Let us know!

We welcome your thoughts and suggestions and are looking forward to Harmony Central being the premier destination for NAMM coverage in 2015.
See more
See less

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right. I plugged in my Traveler after the MR died to get back to work and it saw it as an MR and did something to the internal rom making it unusable on any computer. I never sent it in for repair, I just use it for field audio now (for video shoots) as it still works fine standalone, just not as a firewire device on any computer I own. It would cost me $150 to repair it.

Wow...that seems really bizarre, maybe someone from Steinberg could comment? The Steinberg drivers just sit in my computer, they're around on startup and I haven't bothered to delete them from the startup menu. I've used a bunch of FireWire devices and haven't experienced any problems. Hmmm...

Are you sure it's not a case of the FireWire port itself being fried if you hot-swapped? While rare, hot swapping can destroy ports. This is why I always say in articles to make FireWire connections with power off to all units, and failing that, with power removed from at least the peripheral.

Haven't tried the digital I/O yet, been fixated on the processing and pres, but will investigate that aspect further.
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Here's a reference document from M-Audio regarding the hot-swapping/hot-plugging problem.
      There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Maybe it was an anomaly but no, the firewire port is fine. When I plugged the Traveler in it interacted with the Steiny driver instead of the MOTU driver - I saw the ballon come up in XP lower right corner as if I'd plugged in a MR816 "Audio device detected MR816" - and it did something to the MOTU rom.

The MOTU LCD screen went all wacky showing symbols I'd never seen before... and then nothing.

I've used other firewire devices since uninstalling the drivers and all is well. But the Traveler no longer shows up as audio hardware on any computer. MOTU said I'd have to send it in to fix it.

Again, I'm not trying to disparage Steiny in any way. I'm a loyal fan of Steiny. It's a great unit and I'm certainly in the vast and small minority % that had any serious issue with that unit.

It could have been the driver or driver install got corrupted somehow and killed the MR816 and my MOTU. I sent it back (the MR816) but I never heard back what was wrong with it exactly.

Comment

Just received one and did some initial testings. My plan is to use this as an ADAT device with my Pro Tools HD system and a Digi 192. After installation which went completely smooth I fired up the rig with optical cables in place and set up the system. After a few hours of trying to configure the system and try to understand how to use the MR Editor to get my signals in and out of Pro Tools I finally temporarily gave up and called Steinberg. The tech seemed puzzled that I was using the MR 816 with the 192 and made the comment that I should just use it with Cubase. He then said he would call me right back because he had to go to the lab and fire the MR up to walk me through it. He never called back... I went on ahead with trying to figure the whole thing out (manual does not go in depth with this use) and made some head way. I figured out how to use the hardware channel strips going into Pro Tools and thought I had it figured out. The problem I am stuck at is I can not monitor Adat 1/2 into Pro Tools while simultaneously monitoring the out of Pro Tools via Adat 1/2 into the MR (I would love to use the MR as the monitoring device.) To complicate even further I could only get the headphone feed from Adat out 1/2 in the MR Editor. I was sending the signal out of analog 1/2 to my mains but chooosing the headphone select in analog 1/2 sent no signal to the headphones. I really want this to work because I love the sound and complements my system but if I cant figure this out I will have to send it back.

To sum this up...

The sound is great but the MR Editor is confusing me to mental agony. Since Steinberg didnt call back, Im hoping somebody can help me before I have to send this thing back!

Comment

Due to inventory/fiscal year issues, I've had to send the MR816csx and CC121 back to Steinberg. They will return sometime in mid-April, and the review will resume then.

Meanwhile, feel free to discuss the products amongst yourselves

Comment

Due to inventory/fiscal year issues, I've had to send the MR816csx and CC121 back to Steinberg. They will return sometime in mid-April, and the review will resume then.

Meanwhile, feel free to discuss the products amongst yourselves
              just my luck!

Comment

Craig, thanks for the in-depth review! I've been planning to get one of these for a while (just waiting for my semester to end). I've had problems with Firepods on my computer (Vista loaded HP). Hopefully the MR816 works out!

As far as the whole 'monitoring vs. playback with reverb' problem goes, couldn't you record an input to two different Cubase tracks? Record the reverb (that's also being monitored) to one track, and leave the other track clean. Then when you play back for the artist, play the track with the recorded reverb on it. When you mix, you have the option to use the reverb from tracking or a clean track.

Or does it not work that way?
                The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
                Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

My experience has been poor. I've got an MR816CSX daisy chained with an MR816X into a 3ghz core duo 2 running XP servue pack 3.

Everything installed as described above and we recorded some live test tracks and everything looked and felt fine.... then we could not get playback anywhere anyhow. Then we tried to use headphones while recording a vocal track and got nothing out of the headphones while recording.

We started to look around in the device set up menu and the system crashed. Now all we get is this.

I've entered 5 tickets with MySteinberg and received one response -- "there is likely a problem with your audio interface... contact your hardware manufacturer" WTF??? Isn't that Steinberg?

Would kill for (or just pay cash) for somebody with a clue (because I have not a one) to help stting up this rig.

-Straightman
                  Simi Valley CA
                  Woohoo.... Doh!

Comment

Straightman

Sorry for your frustrations. If you write me a PM with a number to call you, I or one of my techs will walk you through your MR set up. Or, you can call them at 714.228.3301.

The error message you show is not a Steinberg message, but rather an OS message.

I am confident we will figure this out.

Thanks.
                    Best regards,

Brian McGovern
                    Steinberg North America

Comment

Progress. We traced the problem to a bad firewire card. A new SIIG 800 PCIe firewire card and no more blue screen.

I an now having trouble setting up my monitors.

We are recording and playing back fine though a little rough.
                      Woohoo.... Doh!

Comment

So I really enjoyed the review and am seriously thinking of going out and getting one, but how does it compare to say, the RME Fireface 400? I'm currently using a Presonus Firebox, and I'm more interested in getting a better A/D conversion, but also decent pres.

In a nutshell, how does the MR816 sound (yeah, I know it's subjective).

Thx,
                        Max

Comment

Craig, wouldn't it be a good idea to come up with some sort of subjective sound quality grading system ? Hotels have a grading system, so do high end restuarants (if that isn't subjetive then.....), so does Consumer Reports. CR grades everything and tell you why.

If say Lavry Gold's are 95 out of 100 with current SOA technology and JoeShmo convertors are a 50 out of 100, surely we can quantify the sound quality of every other convertors out there. Even if they all end up being betwen 70-80 at least we know, O.K. yes, these convertors are right up ther with "A-B-C" convertors.
                          88 keys

Comment

Hi Craig,

Did you get the unit back in April for further testing or has there been a planning issue preventing this Pro Review to continue?
                            Very much interested in seing this come to a conclusion!

Cheers,

Mats N
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :
                            http://nermark.articulateimages.com

Comment

Hi Craig,

Did you get the unit back in April for further testing or has there been a planning issue preventing this Pro Review to continue?
                              Very much interested in seing this come to a conclusion!

Cheers,

Mats N

It took a bit longer to get it back than expected, and it missed the "window" I had allocated to working on this review...then came Summer NAMM, and trade shows basically take a month out of everything else.

However, I have everything set up again and am recording examples of the reverb right now Also we'll get into the CC121.

Sorry for the delay, things are very busy here at Harmony Central!!

Comment

However, I have everything set up again and am recording examples of the reverb right now Also we'll get into the CC121.

I presume that it is the latest and greatest version of software being tested, i.e. the version announced at HC yesterday?

Very much looking forward to your findings Craig.

Cheers,

Mats N
                                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                                BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :
                                http://nermark.articulateimages.com

Comment

Working...
                                X