Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a really tough question to answer because the programs accomplish similar goals through very different methods. For example, Live's Session View is unique to that program (aside from Sonar's Matrix view, which is very similar) while Cubase's arrange option is a unique feature for that program.

You can download a free demo of Ableton Live. It's totally full-function except that you can't save projects. See if you like the workflow and if you do, then your decision is made for you.

Both are excellent programs, but we're getting into Strat vs. Les Paul territory...so much is subjective.
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

.....the programs accomplish similar goals through very different methods.

That's the essence of my question I guess. I was interested to know whether both apps can produce a pretty much identical end product of equal quality. I know Cubase 6 can take you all the way to a pro quality track ready for CD. I'm not sure if Live 8 is designed as a composition and performance tool, leaving out some of the technical production stuff that Cubase 6 has. Even if Cubase 6 does this other stuff better than Live 8 that's fine, as long as Live 8 can do it.

As I am a newb I just want to know that the functionality is in Live 8 somewhere, ready to be exposed and employed as my knowledge expands.

The intuitive dynamic composition environment of Live 8 and the Akai controller is really attractive to someone used to banging on an instrument. Composition is a big part of what I want to do, but I don't want to lose audio recording and production capabilities. I just want to make sure that Live 8 can get all the audio stuff done, and other stuff I'm sure that exists which I do not know about yet.
      '76 Explorer, R7, '60 CS Strat
      JMP100 MV, Mesa DR, Roland JC60
      4 x 12 JCM900, 4x12 Recto

Comment

That's the essence of my question I guess. I was interested to know whether both apps can produce a pretty much identical end product of equal quality.

From a technical standpoint, yes. From an artistic standpoint...that's up to you

One thing you should be aware of is that you'll see uninformed people on the net talking about Live's "poor audio quality." This is because Live specializes in being able to stretch loops, and you can't stretch without losing some degree of fidelity (although Live does an equal or better job than anything else, and the more you stretch, the more the hit on fidelity - playing back a 160 BPM loop at 80 BPM is not a pretty sight). If you just do straight-ahead audio recording, the sound basically equals any other program that does straight-ahead audio recording.

Comment

From a technical standpoint, yes.

Thanks. That answers my question. I can produce hi fidelity audio tracks using Live 8 just as I can with Cubase.
          '76 Explorer, R7, '60 CS Strat
          JMP100 MV, Mesa DR, Roland JC60
          4 x 12 JCM900, 4x12 Recto

Comment

Live 8 is great, as Anderton said it is "an instrument" for looping composition that has become a full DAW.

I thought about switching to Logic or something else, but I really like the creative experience of it, and the fact I can bring my recording set to a live show and really change it up live.

Getting the APC40, or launchpad (boy was I annoyed when that came out a few months later!) will help you better understand and use the somewhat nonstandard interface.

My brother uses it for guitar looping, I use it for techno, and then we can jam together ;-)

great program. Don't get distracted by the millions of extra features they've added! Stick to the core, it's very solid.
            VJ FRANZ K - SYNTH, DRUM MACHINE, iPAD APP REVIEWS, DEMOS, PERFORMANCES on YouTube

WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/VJFRANZK

WE MAKE OUR FUTURE.

Comment

Getting the APC40, or launchpad (boy was I annoyed when that came out a few months later!) will help you better understand and use the somewhat nonstandard interface.

I have both the APC40 and Launchpad, and that's really optimum as each does things the other doesn't. I'd rather have one of each than two of either one!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the review. For the past 3 months or so, I've been using the APC 20 Lite version of Ableton 8 for practice and jamming on guitar and bass.

Right now... I'm tempted to get the Keith McMillen Softstep. Using my feet to control Ableton, esp. for looping, would seem more intuitive means for control while playing guitar. Also, I could see SoftStep having the potential with Ableton to act as a bass foot pedal instrument for accompaniment to guitar playing.

So.... has anyone tried Ableton + Softstep with their guitar?

Cheers,
                -- Joe
                Joe in St. Louis
                Ibanez SR35 5 string fretless bass
                Ibanez S540, Squier Tele guitars
                QSC K12 PA, Fender DRRI
                Abelton, RP1000, Solid Metal, Glass Nexus, Keeley pedals

Comment

bump
                  Joe in St. Louis
                  Ibanez SR35 5 string fretless bass
                  Ibanez S540, Squier Tele guitars
                  QSC K12 PA, Fender DRRI
                  Abelton, RP1000, Solid Metal, Glass Nexus, Keeley pedals

Comment

I have both the APC40 and Launchpad, and that's really optimum as each does things the other doesn't. I'd rather have one of each than two of either one!

Would you mind updating the review with some explanation of why you use both and how you use each? Thanks!

Comment

Would you mind updating the review with some explanation of why you use both and how you use each? Thanks!

Sure! First, I need to explain a bit about how I use Live.

My first Live controller was the Peavey PC-1600, with 16 faders set for MIDI volume control and buttons set for Solo on/off (it's still a great controller, BTW). As a result, I pretty much limited myself to 16 channels so they could all be put under control of the PC-1600.

When the APC40 came along, the controller's special-purpose nature was great, but there were of course only eight faders. So, I needed eight more control options.

Of course, there are many differences between the APC40 and Launchpad, but the main one for my purposes is that the APC40 has faders and the Launchpad has buttons. So, I use the APC40 to control the sounds that require constant dynamic control, whereas the Launchpad is more for "auxiliary" sounds (e.g., percussion) where I can simply tap a button and set the volume. It's almost like the Launchpad has eight "volume presets" for channels that I can change immediately, whereas the APC40 is more about "live mixing" when I want to work with dynamic changes.

FYI although I posted that some time ago, it's still pertinent. This approach works well for me.

Comment

Thanks! I got the Launchpad as part of a bundle from NovaMusik. Quite informative to read how you've been using yours.

Comment

Got this press release today...

Ableton is pleased to announce the beta version of Live 8.4, featuring native 64-bit support. Registered Live 8, Suite 8, Live Intro or Live Lite 8 users can download the beta now. The 64-bit version of Live allows the use of more than 4 gigabytes of RAM. This means that Live users can now work with Live Sets (including Sets using third-party plug-ins and ReWire configurations) that are much larger and more memory intensive than in the 32-bit version.

The 64-bit version of Live works with PCs running Windows Vista/7/8 (64-bit) and with Intel-Macs running OS X 10.5 and up. The 64-bit version of Live 8 does not support Max for Live, video, or The Bridge. Ableton is currently working with its partners to add support for these features.

The release version of Live 8.4 will be available later, as a free update for registered Live 8, Suite 8, Live Intro or Live Lite 8 users.

Live 8.4 Beta Download Link: http://www.ableton.com/downloads/live-8-beta

Details about 64-bit operation: http://www.ableton.com/articles/what-difference-between-32-bit-and-64-bit-version-live

Comment

any rumors circulating about Live 9? especially with Bitwig Studio looming on the horizon
                            weebz wrote:God appeared to me in a dream and said "Thou shalt post on Guitar Jam"

Comment

any rumors circulating about Live 9? especially with Bitwig Studio looming on the horizon

I haven't heard anything specific, but even if I had, I couldn't tell you

Comment

Hi Anderton.,

APC40 is still some people are using.. dont you think its too soon to tell APC40 is a thing of the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X