Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, to clarify this, what this means is that, when connected to by usb, the voicelive appears as a plugin in your sequencer, and as long as you have a midi interface, that the voicelive 2 will respond to both midi and audio data, but you are connected to a dedicated midi interface and the sequencer acts as the midi "bridge" between your keyboard and the voicelive2??? Just let me know if I'm understanding thsi correctly, thanks...

Comment

• I too am very interested on clarification of the points brought forth by Tradivro1.

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro1
        View Post

So, to clarify this, what this means is that, when connected to by usb, the voicelive appears as a plugin in your sequencer, ...

No, it won't appear as a VST (virtual instrument or effect) the way some hardware/software solutions do (e.g., Lexicon). But you can easily route audio to it. You select the VoiceLive 2 as your interface in your Setup/Preferences/Devices, according to your particular DAW. You can then select it as an input and an output, as I've done here in Cubase:

and as long as you have a midi interface, that the voicelive 2 will respond to both midi and audio data, ...

You don't need a separate MIDI interface; The VoiceLive 2 will act as both over its USB connection (though you still have 5-pin I/O/T jacks for a keyboard).

but you are connected to a dedicated midi interface and the sequencer acts as the midi "bridge" between your keyboard and the voicelive2??? Just let me know if I'm understanding thsi correctly, thanks...

See the Manual Addendum notes below.

TC-Helicon published an Addendum (in pdf form) to its manual, and I've copied the relevant text below. TC-Helicon's whole approach to the VoiceLive 2's manual is wanting, frankly, but the Addendum is a big help, and especially in terms of the unit's interface capabilities. Read on.

[From "VoiceLive 2 Manual Addendum"]

The USB Connection

Connecting the supplied USB cable between VoiceLive 2 and your Mac or PC computer offers the following benefits:

o Audio input and output for recording, processing and monitoring without a separate audio I/O box

o MIDI connection from your computer to VoiceLive 2 without an external MIDI interface.

o Easy backup and restore of preset and system settings

o Simplified system updates

o Information and tutorial videos

VoiceLive 2 And Digital Audio

Here are a few common methods of using VoiceLive 2 with a USB-connected computer and an audio application (DAW):

1. Capturing a full mix of your performance

2. Processing vocals from your DAW

3. Recording dry vocal and guitar tracks

We assume you are familiar with configuring your audio application for input and output and that you understand connection of VoiceLive 2’s inputs and outputs.

Method 1 - Capturing a full mix of your performance:

Set VoiceLive 2’s I/O parameters as such:

DIGITAL IN: USB: STEREO

DIGITAL OUT: FULL MIX

Connect your mic and headphones to VoiceLive2 and pick a preset you like. VoiceLive 2 will send the fully processed sound to your DAW and you’ll be able to monitor through your headphones or the analog audio outputs of VoiceLive 2. In order to set VoiceLive 2’s sample rate, play a little bit of audio from your DAW before recording your vocal track.

Method 2
        - Processing vocals from your DAW:

To use VoiceLive 2 as an effects insert, set the I/O parameters as such:

1. DIGITAL IN: USB: VOX L / INST R

2. DIGITAL OUT: FULL MIX

Configure an aux send in your DAW to send the vocal track to VoiceLive 2’s left input and the instrument track to the right. You can monitor through VoiceLive’s headphone or main outputs. When playing back using VoiceLive 2 as the output audio device, don’t forget to set the DIGITAL IN back to USB: STEREO.

Method 3 - Recording dry vocal and guitar tracks:

You’ll need a fully dry mono vocal track and optionally, a dry instrument track (guitar or keyboard) or midi performance if you plan to use harmony. Set the I/O parameters as such:

1. DIGITAL IN: USB: FULL MIX

2. DIGITAL OUT:VOCAL & GUITAR

Connect your mic and a guitar to VoiceLive 2 and your headphones to the headphone out. Even though you’ll hear fully processed vocals and guitar (with Guitar FX) in the headphones, the output feeding your DAW will be separate dry vocal and guitar that you can process later with Method #2.

Digital Input Notes:

Sample rate is synchronized automatically to the incoming digital audio stream. There is no independent configuration of sample rate in VoiceLive 2. When processing an analog input such as the MIC and sending to VoiceLive 2’s digital out, sending a short bit of audio from your recording application to either Digital in will set the sample rate.

When DIGITAL IN is set to USB:- or SPDIF: VOX L / INST R, the MIC and GUITAR IN are disabled.

When DIGITAL IN is set to USB (or SPDIF): STEREO, harmonies will follow the stereo audio coming from the selected digital input on presets where NATURALPLAY is set to AUX INPUT.

Digital Output Notes:

USB audio output will not function when either of the SPDIF: options is chosen for the DIGITAL IN parameter. SPDIF digital output is always available regardless of DIGITAL IN or OUT settings.

USB And MIDI Control

To use VoiceLive 2’s MIDI IN jack for harmony, preset change or realtime control while USB is connected, enter the I/O tab in the SETUP menu and set USB CONTROL to OFF. USB audio will function normally but MIDI will only be accepted by VoiceLive 2’s through its MIDI IN port. To re-enable VoiceSupport’s features and reception of MIDI from your DAW, turn USB CONTROL to ON.

Jon Chappell
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
        Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

• Thanks Jon ,

Is that "addendum" available for download.?

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by smallmouth
            View Post

Is that "addendum" available for download.?

You bet! Check it out here:

http://www.tc-helicon.com/media/Addendum.pdf
            Jon Chappell

Comment

• Hi Jon, thanks very much for that update, the addendum, makes things very clear, I was just reading the manual... Thanks for the link and the explanation, much appreciated...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro1
                View Post

Hi Jon, thanks very much for that update, the addendum, makes things very clear, I was just reading the manual... Thanks for the link and the explanation, much appreciated...

Let me also add my thanks and appreciation for clarifying this for us. I'm hoping when I visit my music store this week that they will have a VL2 for me to check out.

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• smallmouth, tradivoro1: thanks for your comments.

So that we don't lose any more comments, I'm closing this thread until the new site kicks in (sometime this week). Thanks for your patience.

[Edit:] We're postponing the launch of 2.0 for a few days, so I'm reopening this thread. Be aware that comments will not carry over, but I'll be copying and pasting comments with attribution until the new site launches. Thanks, Jon.
                  Jon Chappell

Comment

• Really enjoying the VL_2 and i still use my VL_1 which i dedicated to verbal foley FX. The adaptive EQ tone engineer is so great, I use it most of the time including on my mixing console and when recording. VL_2 will spoil anybody really quick.

Tom, why did TCH choose to print the measley 37 page manual instead of including the full 92 page manual that is available online? Will be nice if TCH prints and offers the full manual to VL2 customers. [Afterall... MSRP $1000]

Thanks again TCH ^5

HHNET
                    visit a website with REAL content
                    www.HappyHarry.NET
                    2009_MacBook | LogicPro9 | AW4416_Y56K | 01X | ART.Tube.MP.Studio.V3 | VoiceLive_2 | Rode.NT1A | Audio-Technica.ATM75 | MOTIF_XS | Ibanez_AEL2012

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Stingray5
                      View Post

Does it make any difference if you tune down a half step on a keyboard and run the midi out to the VL2? Would it still follow correctly. Thanks PS may add our keyboard says you can't,It's his VL 2, it just don't make since, But I don't know that much about midi.

Yes. I have developed a key-changing playing style utilizing [TRANSPOSE] on both my Korg and Yamaha keyboards.

I love that the VL_2 follows wherever you go and whatever you do!

HHNET
                      visit a website with REAL content
                      www.HappyHarry.NET
                      2009_MacBook | LogicPro9 | AW4416_Y56K | 01X | ART.Tube.MP.Studio.V3 | VoiceLive_2 | Rode.NT1A | Audio-Technica.ATM75 | MOTIF_XS | Ibanez_AEL2012

Comment

• Question for those who use this live...yes, I know some of this has been somewhat covered in some previous posts, but I was hoping to see if someone is using the VL2 in this particular way:

What we'd like to do for our lead vocalist is actually program a "patch" or "preset" for each tune for a given night's show (45-50 songs as a rule). Does the box do this well and respond to perhaps "stepping" through those presets with a single foot stomp or selection on the VL2 itself. We want to make this reasonably "idiot-proof" so that "preset" or "step" 1 is the patch for song 1, Preset 2 for song 2 and so forth. Ideally this will actually be run from the FOH board so that it does not become a footstomping "thing" for our lead vocalist as he also plays both electric rhythm and acoustic guitar (and is extremely hard on pedals...actually it REALLY isn't a good idea to have this on the floor in front of him).

Hope the question makes sense.

Jay
                        Bass Player/Worship Leader/Gear Junkie

Comment

• bump...anyone?
                          Bass Player/Worship Leader/Gear Junkie

Comment

• I've extended the rental of my Digitech Vocalist 4 while waiting to get my hands on a T.C. VL2. Considering taking it to church tomorrow for a solo I'm doing but it might throw my sound team for a loop. Yesterday I stopped into the music store and lo and behold they had a TC VL2 waiting for me. They kindly loaned it to me for the weekend after which I will return the Digitech and rent the Voice Live 2 with a view to eventual purchase if it is what I expect it to be.

A couple of concerns before I get started on this new journey.

1. Price was $899 on the website last time I checked but now is listed as $999. And there will be new software as of February.

2. Manual

Tom, why did TCH choose to print the measley 37 page manual instead of including the full 92 page manual that is available online? Will be nice if TCH prints and offers the full manual to VL2 customers. [Afterall... MSRP $1000]

This unit has only a CD manual and Jon Chappel already alerted us to an addendum to the manual. A hard copy is invaluable when learning a new piece of gear. I definitely agree with the sentiment expressed in the quote.

3. Should I wait to get a machine with the updated software or will it be an easy enough update from the computer? These units are rather hard to get hold of in the first place.

God Bless,

Don

P.S. Looking forward to comparing the sound of the T.C. Helicon to the Digitech.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by smallmouth
                              View Post

3. Should I wait to get a machine with the updated software or will it be an easy enough update from the computer? These units are rather hard to get hold of in the first place.

The VoiceLive 2 can be updated easily through the USB cable and the application that TC includes. I've done it myself twice now. So no need to wait.
                              Jon Chappell

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
                                View Post

The VoiceLive 2 can be updated easily through the USB cable and the application that TC includes. I've done it myself twice now. So no need to wait.

Jon,

I was on the Helicon forum a day or so ago and a few V Live 2 owners were dealing with clipping and vocal dropout after upgrading the system. After just about pulling their hair out, one of them discovered reverting back to the original operating system solved the problem. This does not exactly inspire confidence. How would you downgrade or revert to the original system? Would it still be available on line?

God Bless,

Don

Comment

Working...
                                X