Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

24145333

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here's an example of the harmonizer in action. Notice I don't have to look down to activate the harmonies. If I were using the built in harmony button I'd never be able to do that.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls63_GRKqV0&fmt=35
    PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
    Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
    www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

    Comment


    • MF Stupid Deal of the Day for 10/14/2010

      TC Helicon Harmony G: $119 USD. That's cheaper than used on eBay.



      edited to add that this is no longer the SDotD, but priced very well at $129 USD for clearance



      http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...sts?sku=180235
      Tastes like Chicken

      Comment


      • I am not sure how that device works. I get the fact that it follows your guitar chords. How does it turn on and off the harmony without having to step on something?

        Comment


        • Just to get everyone caught up to speed, Helicon will be putting out the new firmware with the fixes in place, for the VL2 next week. This is according to the forum it was posted on. Should be awesome when done, has a looper and some more software improvements. Better Vocal correction, and the like.

          Enjoy!!
          .

          Comment







          • The second gripe is that there's no ability to stage the next preset. Scrolling is nice, but it's not good enough for seamless shows where one song is starting immediately after the last. I don't want to be staring down at the unit between tunes. I'd rather do it during solos or other "when I choose" times prior to the next song.



            You could also accomplish this by copying the presets you want for your set in sequence to an unused portion of your preset bank, between 205-400. This would be very (Drag and Drop) easy with the latest version of the VoiceSupport utility. Simple to do on the unit as well, but would take longer. Just find the preset you want, hit "Save", and scroll to the slot in which you want to save, then hit "Save" again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

            --

            Matthew

            Comment








            • Quote Originally Posted by knerr
              View Post

              You could also accomplish this by copying the presets you want for your set in sequence to an unused portion of your preset bank, between 205-400. This would be very (Drag and Drop) easy with the latest version of the VoiceSupport utility. Simple to do on the unit as well, but would take longer. Just find the preset you want, hit "Save", and scroll to the slot in which you want to save, then hit "Save" again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

              --

              Matthew




              In theory sure, but in practice, not so much. We know 2X the songs we do on a normal night. No show is the same and we get requests, skip songs, etc. Plus with everything I do for the band the last thing I want to do is add scripting each show to the list. If you play the same show every night over and over then sure, it would work.
              PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
              Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
              www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

              Comment


              • Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. I've probably read every post on this thread on the VL2 over the past year or so. I'm interested in getting one but in all my research I've seen very few reviews from people using it in rock band scenarios with relatively loud stages. While the VL2 seems aimed more at the acoustic / singer songwriter crowd it also has appeal to someone like myself who plays in cover band. Looks like a couple of you who posted in this thread use the VL2 in rock bands so maybe you have some comments on this question: How does the VL2 perform when playing a loud stage? My concerns are how well it tracks the lead vocal for harmony purposes with all the other stage wash going on? Feedback is a huge concern also. Even with a loud stage I experience very little feedback with my current monitor setup. I'm worried that all the auto compression / makeup gain could cause feedback issues.



                For the record, I won't be relying on the unit heavily for harmony purposes as I already have a bass player who sings great harmonies, but I like the idea of adding a bit more layering in some songs. I'm probably MORE interested in all of the available effects since I run our sound and have to do a set it and forget template for effects. Also, since I run an 01v mixer I can't mute effects when talking to the crowd so being able to do it from a pedal would be nice.



                Any feeback would be greatly anticipated (no pun intended). I've love the idea of the VL2 but it isn't cheap and if it causes more issues than benefits in this type of band I don't want to deal with it. I have enough work to do owning and running the PA



                Thanks in advance!
                http://www.partypushers.net

                http://www.myspace.com/soulvillemusic

                Yamaha 01v / JBL PRX612's / QSC HPR181i's / Mackies SRM 450's / Shure, Audix & Line 6 mics

                Comment


                • You're doing what I do - run PA and front a rock band. Tap tempo and effect toggling are very nice to have at your feet. I will say the unit is not a fan of loud stages. There are 3 things that contribute to problems of stage bleed mistriggering the harmonizer.



                  1 - Overall stage volume

                  2 - The volume of the monitor of the singer using the harmonizer. If it's hot the harmonized voice is going right back into the harmonizer. This makes crazy harmonies. I call it harmonic feedback and it doesn't sound good

                  3 - Don't discount the microphone. You want to A) Be right on top of the mic so you can lower the overall gain and 2) use a mic with a very tight pickup pattern such as an Audix OM5 or OM7.
                  PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                  Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                  www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

                  Comment








                  • Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                    View Post

                    In theory sure, but in practice, not so much. We know 2X the songs we do on a normal night. No show is the same and we get requests, skip songs, etc. Plus with everything I do for the band the last thing I want to do is add scripting each show to the list. If you play the same show every night over and over then sure, it would work.




                    Yeah, in your situation it wouldn't be very practical. I guess I interpreted your term, "staging the next preset" to mean it would be planned ahead of time.



                    How long have you been using the StudioLive? Our band bought one a few months ago and have been blown away. Where do you do your primary dynamics and EQ'ing with your vocal channel? Do you mostly rely on your VL2 and run the basically flat, with little compression, or do you have another approach? Do you do much with the onboard effects?

                    Sorry to bombard you!

                    --

                    Matthew

                    Comment








                    • Quote Originally Posted by knerr
                      View Post

                      How long have you been using the StudioLive? Our band bought one a few months ago and have been blown away. Where do you do your primary dynamics and EQ'ing with your vocal channel? Do you mostly rely on your VL2 and run the basically flat, with little compression, or do you have another approach? Do you do much with the onboard effects?

                      Sorry to bombard you!

                      --

                      Matthew




                      I used to use the VL2 for dynamics and EQ, but I don't do that anymore. "Adaptive EQ and compression means it changes and I want predictability. The only thing I use is some de-essing, the rest I get from the StudioLive. If you're at all prone to feedback you don't want to be compressing right off the bat as you're increasing the chances for feedback in the monitor.



                      Vocal effects are entirely done on the VL2. I make a lot of use of tap tempo. Doing all the effects on the VL2 also allows you to toggle them off between songs. There's a global effect control which is nice for different venues. In cave like venues I go dry. Outdoors I'll boost the effects.
                      PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                      Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                      www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

                      Comment


                      • Thanks Abzurd. That's what I wanted to know. I DO monitor pretty loudly. Wouldn't have to but the drummer, bass, and guitar player are loud and I've never had luck getting the stage much quieter. Been singing 20 years as a semi pro and have pretty much only used sm58's. I do eat the mic but not sure I want to change mic brands just to satisfy the VL2.



                        This may be a crazy question since the whole purpose of the VL2 is to harmonize, but do you think the unit is worth buying just for effects and the singer's ability to control them? I know vocal effects can sound great when it's just an acoustic guitar and voice but from my experience all those cool effects are kind lost in a rock mix. Has anybody heard these effects FOH in a rock setting?



                        Thanks.
                        http://www.partypushers.net

                        http://www.myspace.com/soulvillemusic

                        Yamaha 01v / JBL PRX612's / QSC HPR181i's / Mackies SRM 450's / Shure, Audix & Line 6 mics

                        Comment


                        • The effects are as good as you're going to get from anything else and better than most. The ability to control the ON/OFF, and tap tempo make it very valuable. If you don't really need the harmonies then I'd suggest the Create XT. It's essentially the effects part of the VL2 in a stompbox and 1/4 the price.
                          PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                          Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                          www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

                          Comment








                          • Quote Originally Posted by soulvillemusic
                            View Post

                            This may be a crazy question since the whole purpose of the VL2 is to harmonize, but do you think the unit is worth buying just for effects and the singer's ability to control them? I know vocal effects can sound great when it's just an acoustic guitar and voice but from my experience all those cool effects are kind lost in a rock mix. Has anybody heard these effects FOH in a rock setting?



                            Thanks.




                            The effects you use will always depend on the style music you're playing. For rock, you'll be looking at the slap and tap tempo delays, the doubling, the megaphone, maybe the modulation occasionally. The reverb will still be useful if you're doing a ballad. They key is to use everything in moderation, mix it up, and to use it to accentuate certain lines or phrases. Otherwise, it will get lost, like you said. The dynamic delay is great for this, as it basically mutes or attenuates the delay output until you stop singing, then brings it back in. I feel I'm doing it right when people don't notice the effects, or notice them, but can't really put their finger on what they were hearing.

                            I agree with Abzurd, though, in that if you don't need the harmonies, the Create XT is a great value.

                            Comment








                            • Quote Originally Posted by soulvillemusic
                              View Post

                              Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. I've probably read every post on this thread on the VL2 over the past year or so. I'm interested in getting one but in all my research I've seen very few reviews from people using it in rock band scenarios with relatively loud stages. While the VL2 seems aimed more at the acoustic / singer songwriter crowd it also has appeal to someone like myself who plays in cover band. Looks like a couple of you who posted in this thread use the VL2 in rock bands so maybe you have some comments on this question: How does the VL2 perform when playing a loud stage? My concerns are how well it tracks the lead vocal for harmony purposes with all the other stage wash going on? Feedback is a huge concern also. Even with a loud stage I experience very little feedback with my current monitor setup. I'm worried that all the auto compression / makeup gain could cause feedback issues.



                              For the record, I won't be relying on the unit heavily for harmony purposes as I already have a bass player who sings great harmonies, but I like the idea of adding a bit more layering in some songs. I'm probably MORE interested in all of the available effects since I run our sound and have to do a set it and forget template for effects. Also, since I run an 01v mixer I can't mute effects when talking to the crowd so being able to do it from a pedal would be nice.



                              Any feeback would be greatly anticipated (no pun intended). I've love the idea of the VL2 but it isn't cheap and if it causes more issues than benefits in this type of band I don't want to deal with it. I have enough work to do owning and running the PA



                              Thanks in advance!








                              We have the VL2 in our band... I purchased it about a year ago. We have a full 5 piece band and do have fairly loud stage volume. What I do is run it in Mono mode, put the Main XLR into one channel of my MixWiz16:2 and run that for FOH only... Then set the second output DRY into another channel in the mixer and run that for Monitors only. Takes up an extra channel on the board, but then you can run all the effects without worrying about feedback.



                              - Corey
                              Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS 1960, PRS CE24, Kramer Stagemaster Custom w/ SD-JB & DiMarzio FT

                              Main Rig: Orange TH-30 Head, Marshall JCM 900 1960a 4x12w/ V30s & G12T75s X-Config, PEDALZ


                              - PRS Crusader -
                              - Avatar Brood -

                              Comment


                              • That's makes sense Corey. So I can actually run the two 1/4" line outs to a stereo channel on my board and pan those hard right / left for true stereo and then run the dry output to another channel and just monitor off of that one. Cool. Do you hear harmonies when monitoring off the dry output or is it totally dry (no effects or harmonies). If not I guess I could could always mix some wet channel in the monitors if I wanted.



                                Think I'll get a used one off of ebay and try it out!
                                http://www.partypushers.net

                                http://www.myspace.com/soulvillemusic

                                Yamaha 01v / JBL PRX612's / QSC HPR181i's / Mackies SRM 450's / Shure, Audix & Line 6 mics

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X