Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more review coming from you Craig?

A couple of weeks ago I purchased Record (and updated Reason) and am finding this review invaluable to pick up further tips on its usage.

I understand resource usage is important, but I just want to learn more about how this software works, and how others are adapting to it.

Most of us come from another DAW of sorts (me, Cubase 5), and find there are shortcomings in comparison. The great thing about Record is its flexible nature so many shortcomings have a Propellerheads way around them.

But, Craig never did get into the sequencing, or editing...two big uses of audio record software.

My opinion of Record is that its a great and easy piece of software that sounds great (I love the mixer EQ). But, it's not a replacement for Logic, Cubase, or even the lower end Protools yet. Despite what Propellerheads may claim, they do have a DAW here..."audio" and "workstation" being key aspects of their software.

Of course, the negatives which are positives in some ways (no VST, no midi out) probably benefit the user who does not need those features. I would gladly forsake VST plugins for midi out!

However, what's the future for this software? Are Props going to actually try and compete in the DAW market? If so, they need to up the game some. New effects every two years doesn't make them very competitive. And, I'll probably have to keep one foot in the Cubase camp to cover what may or may not be added two years from now.

I like that the upcoming versions of Reason and Record will fill in some gaps like Neptune autotune, and the sampling into its sampler player instruments really do help make R+R competitive.

Again, if they wish to continue to compete, Props is going to new to step up the addition of effects and features to more than every two years.

Wish List:

MIDI OUT!
    MIDI OUT!
    MIDI OUT!
    Audio warping
    Audio channel grouping
    Audio file grouping
    Noise gate effect independent of the mixer
    Improved Line6 control (I can live with Line6's stuff, but let it be more flexible)
    Better, dedicated delay effect
    64bit
    Rewire 64bit
    Better, dedicated chorus effect
    Independent Thor-like filter effects (so you don't have to invoke a whole Thor)
    More sends - mainly for headphone mixes (there are workarounds with Spiders and such, of course)
    Streamline Comp editing...it's a bit thick for what should be basic operations

The very last thing I would ever suggest Props do is add a plugin system. Really, I can do without, just keep the effects coming.

Craig, I hope you can continue your review.

Thanks!
    Guitars: Gibson SG Classic, Gretsch Duojet, Danelectro Hodad, Line6 Variax 300, Epiphone Les Kirk Std, Sterling AX40, Ibanez RG5EX1, SX Tele TL52-CAR
    Amps: B52 AT212, Line 6 Flextone II, Gibson Skylark GA-5, Line 6 HD500
    Basses: Stingray, Yamaha RBX375
    Synths: AN1X, EX5R, A4000, Emu Audity, XL1 Lead, Orbit, Roland JV1080
    Recording:Macbook Pro 8,1, Presonus FP10, Rode NT2, HS80M Mons, Cubase 6, MOTU ExpXT Midi

Songs:
    The Advisors

Comment

• Record 1.5 is coming out next week, with several enhancements. I'll be continuing the review then! Once I knew the new version was coming, it made sense to put this review on hold for a bit.

Stay tuned...
      CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Record 1.5 is coming out next week, with several enhancements. I'll be continuing the review then! Once I knew the new version was coming, it made sense to put this review on hold for a bit.

Stay tuned...

Next week? It must be your privileged status in the music world because last I heard it's August 25th for us mortals...

http://www.propellerheads.se/company/crew/blog/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_plan&PID=1897
        Guitars: Gibson SG Classic, Gretsch Duojet, Danelectro Hodad, Line6 Variax 300, Epiphone Les Kirk Std, Sterling AX40, Ibanez RG5EX1, SX Tele TL52-CAR
        Recording:Macbook Pro 8,1, Presonus FP10, Rode NT2, HS80M Mons, Cubase 6, MOTU ExpXT Midi

Songs:
        The Advisors

Comment

• Well I guess I just proved that not only am I a mere mortal, I don't even know how to count. I will write on the blackboard 100 times...

8 = August
          7 = July
          8 = August
          7 = July
          8 = August
          7 = July
          8 = August
          7 = July

Nonetheless...I'll try to twist a few arms to get an advance copy

Comment

• Looking forward to your 1.5 Record and Reason 5.0 Pro review.

Been using it since last week and am super impressed.

Octorex - allows for some incredibly tweaky rex mangling.

Kong - is rather superb and nurse rex opens up a plethora of possibilities IMHO - the physical modeled drums are damn great too.

Blocks - very well implemented and hugely useful - speeds up the compositional process 10 fold IMHO.

The stretching of both audio and midi clips is extremely powerful especially with snap to grid turned off - I have awakened my inner John Cage I think.

Neptune - been abusing the hell out of it as an effects device for pitch shifting delays and all sorts of non vocal based weirdness.

Good Stuff I must say
            Venn Diagram - Artist WebsiteMachinedrum, Monomachine, Analog Four, Octatrack, NordModular, Moog SubPhatty, Novation Nova, Korg MS20 Mini, Maschine, Tassman, Aalto, Absynth, Uhe's ACE & AudulusContact

Comment

• I'm actually installing it now...

Comment

• Looking forward to your 1.5 Record and Reason 5.0 Pro review.

That's right, back to work with you, Anderton!! (crack whip)

Seriously, although I've been playing with it for a week, my uses have been limited to setting up for a live show, replacing Cubase. I've dabbled with Kong and Neptune, but not much more.

It will be interesting to get your (and others here) take on the new revision, and uses you see with the new features.

One thing I think that really differentiates Reason/Record from anything else is the multitudes of uses, and the shear incomprehensible number of tricks people can perform with this this software.

Looking forward to more tips and tricks as well!

Songs:
                The Advisors

Comment

• I decided to not get Record. I simply dont want to deal with a dongle whatsoever. And I can do all of what it can do and then some via rewire and any number of hosts.

I am however very interested in Reason 5.

I have a few question about it.

1) the on screen piano keyboard. How well does it work and can you dive more into it? i'd love to be able to pluck out beats and basic melodies with just the laptop somewhere without anything extra.
                  2) Along the same lines, could I get away with just using the qwerty keyboard to mute the tracks and basically do a lot of the live performance aspect of reason.
                  3)Midi out? It seems from all I have found it does not have it. Neither does Record apparently. this is such a bummer and almost a deal breaker. If it doesn't have it, is there some sort of workaround (other than rewire)? It would be a very frustrating omission if it doesn't have it.
                  4) The sampling feature. How long is it? Could I say, record/playback the vocals, bass or guitar parts for the length of the entire song?

Thanks!

Comment

• Well, I went to Guitar Center today and got the record for reason update. So I guess I'll be able to answer my own questions myself. Even though I absolutely hate dongles and even the very idea of them i figured for $20 more, I'd give record a shot. Plus I really wanted to try neptune and the line 6 stuff seemed good too.

Well, the stupid dongle would not install! lol. After several re-installs, I went to the proppellerheads site. No help there. I finally found the answer in the propelleheads forum.

Turns out that since I have disabled a lot of services on my computer (to make it a more stream lined DAW), the driver provided by propellerheads does not work. So you have to go to the dongle makers site and download their installer.

What a pain and it totally reaffirms my hatred of dongles. The least propelleheads can do is include the more tolerant driver or at the very least, provide much clearer instructions and point people towards this solution without as much digging as I had to do.

It took so long to install this and it was so frustrating...but now its time to dig in and hopefully have so fun.

Comment

• The demo crashed my computer and ruined the drivers for my Presonus Firestudio Project .
                      Originally Posted by Analog_Control

Craft Beers Are Like The Indie Rock Of Music.

Comment

• I decided to not get Record. I simply dont want to deal with a dongle whatsoever. And I can do all of what it can do and then some via rewire and any number of hosts.

The dongle thing isn't so bad, because as long as you have an internet connection, you can get authorized. Once while I was on the road I didn't have the dongle and the airport had free wi-fi, so I authorized and was good to go. I also found that if I put the computer in sleep mode, the authorization remained...made it through the whole trip with Record ready to go, didn't have to reauthorize, and didn't need the dongle.

I am however very interested in Reason 5. I have a few question about it.

1) the on screen piano keyboard. How well does it work and can you dive more into it? i'd love to be able to pluck out beats and basic melodies with just the laptop somewhere without anything extra.

Check out Post #74. The keyboard in Reason 5 is the same as in Record.

2) Along the same lines, could I get away with just using the qwerty keyboard to mute the tracks and basically do a lot of the live performance aspect of reason.

Reason works very much like Live, in that you can map just about anything to a key command although there are some "forbidden" keys - space bar, tab, enter, numeric keypad keys, and most function keys.

3)Midi out? It seems from all I have found it does not have it. Neither does Record apparently. this is such a bummer and almost a deal breaker. If it doesn't have it, is there some sort of workaround (other than rewire)? It would be a very frustrating omission if it doesn't have it.

If it's there, I haven't found it. The only workaround I can think of is that if you use a workstation, you can create parts in it and slave Reason to the workstation's sequencer.

4) The sampling feature. How long is it? Could I say, record/playback the vocals, bass or guitar parts for the length of the entire song?

I haven't found a limit yet, and I've recorded samples that are several minutes long.

Comment

• The demo crashed my computer and ruined the drivers for my Presonus Firestudio Project .

That certainly doesn't sound right...was it Record or Reason? Have you checked for updates to the PreSonus drivers? I use a lot of their gear, and the drivers seem more or less indestructible.

Also...how much RAM do you have, and what latency are you running? Too little RAM or really short latencies will give the appearance of the computer crashing.

Comment

• Well, I've had Record 1.5/Reason 5 for a few days now. I really like them both. Im a long time Sonar user, but I also use Pro tools in the studio and I was a long time Cubase user.

I started out with hardware and midi. And R/R are very much like hardware. So for me, I really am enjoying how fast and creative the combo is.

Like for instance, when I want to add a bass line. Normally, I get out the tuner and plug in the bass. The I unplug it and plug into the fx. I run that into an Audio track in sonar. And then spend another few minutes setting it up tp record the bass.

But with record, the tuner is built right in and so are the fx. Im ready to go as inspiration strikes. And after years and years of wrestling with DAW software and menus and all that, it is really fun to not deal with any of that and just record again.

I haven't found a limit yet, and I've recorded samples that are several minutes long.

I was referring to Reason. Apparently it only samples for 30 seconds??

So far, my only real quibble, is using Record on a laptop. Its just so busy graphically and there is a lot on the screen. It would be nice if the allowed you to re-size it to get more of the images on screen. But, like I said, I know propellerheads. What you get is what you get. No point in really asking for features, lol.

I wasn't going to, but I think I may buy one of those 42 inch flat screen TV's and use Record with it. Even Reason seems to have gotten bigger and takes up more screen real estate.

Comment

• I just read this whole thread, super interesting!!!

You know, making music is about your vision, if your vision for a song doesn't need something like Reason, then great.

If your vision for your song needs a 'propellerhead' sound to it to make it what you envision - then again great.

From a technical review stand point, I think this thread was very informative. Good job!!!

I can sing, but if only I had a brain...

Comment

• my laptop gives audio drop outs when I have the wifi enabled.

I wasn't clear...you don't need a continuous web connection, just long enough to authorize. That's why I was able to put the laptop in sleep mode, open it up on a plane, and keep going.

Dongles really only punish legit users. A thief can downlaod a crack and be up and running in no time. Oh well. Knowing propellerheads (been there since Reason 1.0) they won't change. I still love their products. But I will always hate dongles. You can lose them. You can forget them. They tie up a port..etc..

Agreed on all points. But at least if you lose it, forget it, and don't want to tie up a port, as long as you can go online for a few seconds you're covered.

Comment

Working...
                                X