No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by controller
    View Post

Not sure why this review did not explain that the Axiom 49 Mk2 does NOT support Reason 5 Kong at all yet, especially as it was evidently reviewed using Reason 5?

Well, I tried the Axiom 49 with most Reason 5 modules, including the new OctoRex player and Kong, and it worked fine. However, although controls were pre-mapped to the OctoRex controls, for Kong's controls the situation is a little different. The Pitch Bend and mod wheel are pre-mapped, as are the pads. Although Kong's virtual pads aren't mapped to the Axiom pads, they are mapped to the Axiom keyboard, which I prefer for two reasons. First, Kong has 16 pads, while the Axiom 49 only has 8 pads, so I couldn't trigger all Kong pads from the Axiom trigger pads anyway. More importantly, there are THREE keyboard keys assigned to each Kong pad, making it very easy to do rolls, flams, and other articulations that would be difficult or impossible to do with the pads.

The one limitation is that for most controls, I need to use the Remote Override Mapping option (for those controls that can be automated in this way, which is the majority - right-click on the control, select Edit Remove Override Mapping, then specify the controller you want to use or more simply, invoke the "Learn" function). However, this means that you temporarily lose that control for other purposes. For example, if you use a control that maps to the SubTractor filter to control the Drum Room Reverb Size parameter in Kong, then that control will map to Reverb Size, even if SubTractor is selected. In one way, though, this is an advantage because for live performance, you'll ALWAYS be able to use that control for the desired live performance parameter, regardless of what else is selected. If you release the mapping, it reverts to the original, DirectLink mapping so the original mapping is never "forgotten."

As a result, I don't really find this such a big problem. I can play the pads from the keys, and use bend and mod wheel, "out of the box." If I'm programming sounds and want to use the controls, I can assign them temporarily and then release them when I'm done programming. On the other hand if I really really want to have, for example, the Kong Parametric EQ Frequency parameter as a live performance control, I can dedicate one control I don't use in other instruments to that. It's a workaround, but it works.

As to your question of where these changes are stored, any custom mappings are stored in the Reason project itself, NOT the Axiom 49. This of course makes sense because you wouldn't want to have to redo all your mappings if your controller broke down and you needed to replace it. In the example I gave of the Kong Parametric EQ Frequency parameter, if I create a template and Kong includes that mapping, that mapping will be intact whenever I start a new project. If I change my mind as I work on the project, I can always clear the mapping.

FYI - the older Axiom PRO controller works (I've seen it) with Kong in Reason 5 right out of the box, including the drum pads P1 through P8 interfacing with no thought or effort whatsoever with Kong's drum/controller Pads.

Axiom Pro is a different product line.

I see a few people online asking in other places, "when will Axiom 49 Mk2 support Reason 5" and I see no one answering yet!

In my experience, M-Audio is the kind of company that waits until something is close to release before they say anything. I didn't know about Venom, for example, until about two weeks before it was announced...and only then did I know because they wanted a Pro Review on it.

But for M-Audio to say that Axiom 49 does not support Reason 5 seems kind of extreme. It supports everything that was in Reason 4, supports OctoRex to a large degree, and as I pointed out above, you can play the Kong pads from the keyboard, use pitch bend and mod wheel, and manipulate controls with the faders and encoders. Granted, it's not full and complete support of Kong, but you can do a lot with the keyboard right now, the way it is. While I would of course welcome an update for Reason 5, it's not a deal-breaker for me because I can do 95% of what I need to do right now.

How also do non-supported instruments that one tediously maps manually work along side Directlink? Where are these user pre-sets stored? How do I access them? Too many questions and too little answers. Documentation is insufficient!

If all documentation was sufficient, I'd be out of a job Hopefully the above made sense, but if not, let me know and I'll explain further.
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Thanks for that thorough reply.

Being a "visual learner" (my wife occasionally calls me something considerably less flattering, but that's another story), it takes me a bit to get my head around mappings and text based interfaces, however you have explained it admirably.

What was not previously apparent prior to your response, was the innate ability of Directlink to remain intact, once a user customized controller was "released" from any special mapping. Which brings me to the obviously simple to some, yet still esoteric process to me ... how to "release" a controller back to its Directlink state? Do I assume by simply choosing "Edit Remove Override Mapping" again, et le voici - Directlink is once again present and in full command?

I notice that on several if not all Reason instruments, that there is invariably one of the 8 pads with its different direct relationship to the rotary knobs, that is dedicated for DirectLink's use with Axiom 24 only. Would you suggest for Axiom 49 owners, that this would be a logical place to utilize ones "custom" assignments, thereby not removing any pre-built DirectLink functions already in their tidy places by default? I am always concerned about overwriting existing functions and / or giving up the good stuff for my own trial and error. Certainly it would have been nicer to be able to call up a selected pad assignment at will, without fear of replacing Directlink - but I assume this is where the budget was set in producing this Axiom.

I bought this controller (previously I was a long term mouse tweaker), with the hope that I could plug and play instead of plug, fiddle, curse and pray. It's been a pretty good experience so far, but I'm still left wondering how much better it would have been if I spent another few dollars and got the Axiom PRO version. After witnessing the PRO jump into action on PC bootup (my Axiom usually sticks on a note on boot until I change patches and then switch back) showing no hesitation speaking to KONG and demonstrating its prowess in visual pictures, the PRO seems to be the more social and smarter sister of the two. Any further ideas on this?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by controller
        View Post

Thanks for that thorough reply.

Glad to help when I can. Certainly these forums have saved me major frustration on occasion thanks to the expertise of others.

What was not previously apparent prior to your response, was the innate ability of Directlink to remain intact, once a user customized controller was "released" from any special mapping. Which brings me to the obviously simple to some, yet still esoteric process to me ... how to "release" a controller back to its Directlink state? Do I assume by simply choosing "Edit Remove Override Mapping" again, et le voici - Directlink is once again present and in full command?

Yes, that's right.

I notice that on several if not all Reason instruments, that there is invariably one of the 8 pads with its different direct relationship to the rotary knobs, that is dedicated for DirectLink's use with Axiom 24 only. Would you suggest for Axiom 49 owners, that this would be a logical place to utilize ones "custom" assignments, thereby not removing any pre-built DirectLink functions already in their tidy places by default? I am always concerned about overwriting existing functions and / or giving up the good stuff for my own trial and error. Certainly it would have been nicer to be able to call up a selected pad assignment at will, without fear of replacing Directlink - but I assume this is where the budget was set in producing this Axiom.

The problem with the pad assignments for Kong is that Kong's virtual pads do not have a learn function or the ability to re-map them - so you can't just say "Learn" and hit a pad on the Axiom. As I mentioned, this doesn't bother me because I find the keyboard mapping better-suited to what I want do. Even if I could map the Axiom pads to the Kong pads, I'd still use the keyboard.

However, given that the Kong pads respond to MIDI notes, and you can re-map the Aixom pads to transmit particular MIDI notes (if you're willing to get into programming them!) there's probably a solution. But, I've never looked for it because of my desire to use the keyboard instead.

I bought this controller (previously I was a long term mouse tweaker), with the hope that I could plug and play instead of plug, fiddle, curse and pray. It's been a pretty good experience so far, but I'm still left wondering how much better it would have been if I spent another few dollars and got the Axiom PRO version. After witnessing the PRO jump into action on PC bootup (my Axiom usually sticks on a note on boot until I change patches and then switch back) showing no hesitation speaking to KONG and demonstrating its prowess in visual pictures, the PRO seems to be the more social and smarter sister of the two. Any further ideas on this?

I have not used and do not own the PRO keyboard, so I can't really comment...sorry.

As to the stuck note issue, two suggestions. First, see if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard. USB implementations are often improved with BIOS updates. However, that can be technically daunting and cause possible damage to your computer if done incorrectly, so either don't do it or find a computer professional.

Second, some USB devices seem to "like" being connected when you boot your computer, while others prefer being connected after the computer is booted. Try one or the other to see if one method works better than another.

Comment

I have recently updated the bios and that fixed an issue I was having with ASIO and VIA audio drivers competing for top spot. I think Windows 7 64bit is still in beta in some instances. I'll try the various boot processes - On -Off at boot etc., and see if that helps.

Further on the boot issue, for the first time ever it just did not stick. The only thing I did differently was instead of jumping right in to play some keys first thing, I slid a few sliders up and down prior to hitting the keys and no stuck note. Nothing conclusive but I'll continue.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

You'll be happy to know I pinged M-Audio and they are in fact working on DirectLink support for Reason 5 and Record 1.5. There's no official release date, for the reasons I assumed - they don't want to announce something until they're confident that it works properly. However, I got the impression it wasn't all that far off. Stay tuned.

Comment

good to hear - thx!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                View Post

You'll be happy to know I pinged M-Audio and they are in fact working on DirectLink support for Reason 5 and Record 1.5. There's no official release date, for the reasons I assumed - they don't want to announce something until they're confident that it works properly. However, I got the impression it wasn't all that far off. Stay tuned.

Axiom MKII DirectLink support for Reason 5.0.1 and Record1.5.1 was announced early this morning. The installer is available from the M-Audio website drivers and updaters page. Qualification of DirectLink for Oxygen and HyperControl for Axiom Pro was also announced.

Patrick Aurelio

Product Designer, Avid

Comment

Thanks Paul! See, all we had to do was ask for it here, and M-Audio came up with the DirectLink

Here's the link:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

Looking forward to checking it out!

Comment

Great news!!! ... my thanks Patrick, M-audio, and you Craig for helping make this happen. But lest anyone become complacent, be warned, I will be back to hound you once again when version 6 Reason comes out ;-) ;-)

Cheers!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by controller
                      View Post

Great news!!! ... my thanks Patrick, M-audio, and you Craig for helping make this happen.

As much as I'd like to take some credit for this, I have nothing to do with Reason 5/Record 1.5 support other than providing a place for M-Audio to tell you about it

Comment

• Any chance they are working on Direct Link for Sonar???
                        "Admittedly, it is difficult to reason people out of positions they didn't use reason to attain." - Craig AndertonProgrammer's Logic: " If I can tell you why it doesn't work it's OK that it doesn't work." - meTech Support Logic: " If I can't tell you why it doesn't work it's not our fault." - me

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes
                          View Post

Any chance they are working on Direct Link for Sonar???

I have no idea. But, Cakewalk is owned in part by Roland, which makes controllers that work with Sonar, and M-Audio is owned by Avid, which makes Pro Tools - a competitor to Sonar. So, I don't know if anyone's in any hurry to make this happen...but I could be wrong. One hallmark of this industry is there's a greater amount of cooperation among competitors than I've seen in any other industry.

Comment

• Thanks Craig. How hard is it to set it up without Direct Link?
                            "Admittedly, it is difficult to reason people out of positions they didn't use reason to attain." - Craig AndertonProgrammer's Logic: " If I can tell you why it doesn't work it's OK that it doesn't work." - meTech Support Logic: " If I can't tell you why it doesn't work it's not our fault." - me

Comment

• Excellent review. Please, I'd like to know which keyboard sounds are available in th Axiom (pianos, organs, etc). I've done a vast search without luck. Thanks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes
                                View Post

Thanks Craig. How hard is it to set it up without Direct Link?

Well...what is it exactly that you want to do? Use it as a control surface for a mixer? Control virtual instruments? It depends...

Comment

Working...
                                X