No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes
    View Post

Wow I'm really glad I found this review! I was literally just about to click the purchase button at Musician's Friend for an Axiom 61 MKII. Now that I know they don't support Sonar I'll have to find another solution. It's a shame, they had a good price. Probably just as well since I've been seeing such negative post about their support.

This also brings up a subject where there's more to this than meets the eye. DirectLink is currently available for Pro Tools, Live, Cubase, Logic, Reason, and Record. From what I understand, it's not trivial to come up with a DirectLink app, and this loops back to the previous post about company resources. The company needs to judge whether taking someone off a project and having them develop DirectLink for Sonar, Reaper, Mixcraft, etc. is going to be worth it.

And, there's a further complication: Competition. Roland makes a series of keyboard controllers and given that they partner with Cakewalk, it's not surprising that their keyboards support Sonar's ACT feature, and includes a computer program for creating templates (sort of like Enigma - and something the 2nd Gen Axiom series would benefit from, IMHO). If I worked at M-Audio and had to decide whether to come up with a Sonar template or not, I'd guess that many Sonar users would gravitate toward the Roland keyboards, thus reducing the potential market for Axioms anyway. But what about Cubase - don't Motif synths support Cubase features, and therefore be subject to the same kind of reasoning? Well, no. First off, there's a big price difference between an Axiom and a Motif. Second, Cubase existed long before Yamaha purchased Steinberg, and there's a huge installed customer base that's not going to go out and buy a Motif, but a smaller controller.

And finally...while templates and things like DirectLink are cool, they're not all things to all people. Maybe you use Pro Tools, but your favorite instruments are the ones made by Arturia. Did M-Audio map their Pro Tools template to Arturia synths? I doubt it. And maybe you'd rather use faders for some instrument functions instead of the rotary encoders, but the template might not be set up that way. Ultimately, you may find that even with a template, what someone at the company thought would be a good implementation might have little to do with the way you use the controller.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled programming
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Your post brings up some questions and comments. First the questions:

1) Will ACT work with the Axiom? That might solve the problem.

2) Keyboard feel is very important to me and I HATE spongy feeling keyboards. I currently have an EMU XBoard 49. I love the feel but need more keys. Do you know how the Axiom 2 action compares to the EMU by any chance?

3) You said the Axiom has endless rotary knobs. Does this mean it can tweak by adding or subtracting to the currently onscreen value instead of having the on screen knob jump the the Axiom knob's setting?

I own Sibelius and recently called for tech support and was told that I now have to pay to talk to them. This and the negative support accounts paint a picture for me. Avid is making a business decision to reduce customer support. I'm just tired of companies that don't care about their customers. Yes margins are slim but not as slim as in the computer business and Dell has excellent customer service. Roland has excellent phone support. Avid chooses not to. Just another reason I hesitate go give them my money. OK rant off.
      "Admittedly, it is difficult to reason people out of positions they didn't use reason to attain." - Craig AndertonProgrammer's Logic: " If I can tell you why it doesn't work it's OK that it doesn't work." - meTech Support Logic: " If I can't tell you why it doesn't work it's not our fault." - me

Comment

OK one more rant. I spent 15 minutes typing my reply and when I clicked submit it said it can't post because my token had run out and to click the back button. When I did my entire post was gone! Why do I need a *&^^%$%^$*& token to post!!!????

OK I'll shut up now.
        "Admittedly, it is difficult to reason people out of positions they didn't use reason to attain." - Craig AndertonProgrammer's Logic: " If I can tell you why it doesn't work it's OK that it doesn't work." - meTech Support Logic: " If I can't tell you why it doesn't work it's not our fault." - me

Comment

View Post

Thanks for all the feedback. Your post brings up some questions and comments. First the questions:

1) Will ACT work with the Axiom? That might solve the problem.

ACT works with anything, really. Too many people think of ACT is this complicated thing but you can use it a temporary way to make quick adjustments. I should write an article about that...you could use the faders, encoders, buttons, whatever for ACT functions.

2) Keyboard feel is very important to me and I HATE spongy feeling keyboards. I currently have an EMU XBoard 49. I love the feel but need more keys. Do you know how the Axiom 2 action compares to the EMU by any chance?

Haven't used the E-Mu but even if I had, this kind of thing is too subjective a call. I'm sure there must be a GC somewhere that carries an Axiom so you can try the action for yourself.

3) You said the Axiom has endless rotary knobs. Does this mean it can tweak by adding or subtracting to the currently onscreen value instead of having the on screen knob jump the the Axiom knob's setting?

Yes! And this is a good thing.

I own Sibelius and recently called for tech support and was told that I now have to pay to talk to them. This and the negative support accounts paint a picture for me. Avid is making a business decision to reduce customer support. I'm just tired of companies that don't care about their customers. Yes margins are slim but not as slim as in the computer business and Dell has excellent customer service. Roland has excellent phone support. Avid chooses not to. Just another reason I hesitate go give them my money. OK rant off.

I can guarantee that Avid is not doing the kind of volume Dell does. I would think tech support is a small sliver of Dell's budget, and a much bigger sliver of Avid's.

I know what you're saying, but I think with Avid you're seeing a preview of what's going to be happening with all companies eventually. Several software companies have gone to the "pay for support" model, done very much on a warranty model...you get a certain number of freebie calls within a certain amount of time, but then you're on your own.

Actually, I have a great way to deal with tech support, and it's free: I post my question in Sound, Studio, and Stage. Someone almost always has an answer
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

View Post

OK one more rant. I spent 15 minutes typing my reply and when I clicked submit it said it can't post because my token had run out and to click the back button. When I did my entire post was gone! Why do I need a *&^^%$%^$*& token to post!!!????

You shouldn't. I thought the session length had been changed from the default, and extended to 24 hours or something, so people wouldn't be logged out for inactivity...I'll have to check. Meanwhile, when it's happened to me and asked for the user name/password after clicking to submit a post, I just enter the info and it takes me back to the forum. Although it appears the post wasn't posted, when I go into the forum, it's there. Apparently it gets posted as soon as you enter the user name/password and click on Proceed. I do think, though, that if you hit the back button at any point during all this, the post is toast.

Comment

Good to know and thanks for the Axiom info.

Comment

Mr. Anderton,

I posted this question a while back. Perhaps you might know the answer. I'm anticipating the purchase of the Pro Tools 9 cross-grade. Will I have any compatibility problems or set-up issues with the Axiom or Axiom Pro?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul1963
                  View Post

Mr. Anderton,

I posted this question a while back. Perhaps you might know the answer. I'm anticipating the purchase of the Pro Tools 9 cross-grade. Will I have any compatibility problems or set-up issues with the Axiom or Axiom Pro?

We'll all know soon, I'm installing Pro Tools 9 today or this weekend. First, though, I'm going to check DirectLink with Pro Tools 8, on the assumption that some will be sticking with it for a while longer.

Comment

OK I just pulled the trigger. Got a great deal - $271 for the Axiom 61 Gen 2. I tried one at GC and the action has been greatly improved since the first version. I'll chime in with a report when it gets hear.

Comment

View Post

OK I just pulled the trigger. Got a great deal - $271 for the Axiom 61 Gen 2. I tried one at GC and the action has been greatly improved since the first version. I'll chime in with a report when it gets here.

Looking forward to your comments!!

Comment

View Post

OK I just pulled the trigger. Got a great deal - $271 for the Axiom 61 Gen 2. I tried one at GC and the action has been greatly improved since the first version. I'll chime in with a report when it gets here.

Looking forward to your comments!!

Comment

Hey guys,

This is a somewhat general question, but I was considering buying the Axiom 49 and been following this thread closely.

1. I was wondering if I would be able to do something like this one the Axiom using the included sampler pads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H2twMYI4w

Of course this guy is very good and he's using http://www.thomann.de/fr/korg_nanopad_black.htm

The Korg nanopad has 12 trigger pads, the Axiom has 8. I was wondering if it will suffice? I guess it all depends on the number of sounds I want to use.

2. I'm using FL Studio: do the Axiom knobs etc. trigger the filter/EQ/some other events on FL Studio? Or do I need to get the Axiom Pro for that - Paurelio said something similar but I'm not sure... Paurelio if you could say something about the compatibility level between FL Studio and Axiom products it would be awesome.

Thanks a lot guys!
                          What's up you niggardly sons of bitches?
                          I wanna hit someone

Comment

OK I just pulled the trigger. Got a great deal - $271 for the Axiom 61 Gen 2. I tried one at GC and the action has been greatly improved since the first version. I'll chime in with a report when it gets hear.

I just bought an Axiom 61 Gen 1 for $300. (But I live in Southeast Asia).

I like the action quite a lot.

I have two Axioms now, a 61 & a 25.

The store had the new Axiom 49. But it was more expensive than the discontinued 61.
                            And I liked the 61 key layout better anyway.
                            He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi
                              View Post

1. I was wondering if I would be able to do something like this one the Axiom using the included sampler pads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-H2twMYI4w

The Korg nanopad has 12 trigger pads, the Axiom has 8. I was wondering if it will suffice? I guess it all depends on the number of sounds I want to use.

With this guy's level of skill, he would probably sound awesome regardless of which controller he uses. The pads on Axiom MKII and Axiom Pro are very responsive, and have adjustable velocity curves. They should accommodate virtually any playing style. Bear in mind, You can use the pads and keybed at the same time, so you're not limited to 8 sounds. It's all MIDI notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi
                              View Post

2. I'm using FL Studio: do the Axiom knobs etc. trigger the filter/EQ/some other events on FL Studio? Or do I need to get the Axiom Pro for that - Paurelio said something similar but I'm not sure... Paurelio if you could say something about the compatibility level between FL Studio and Axiom products it would be awesome.

Although there is no DirectLink or HyperControl for FL Studio, anything in FL Studio that responds to MIDI can be controlled by either the Axiom or Axiom Pro.

Comment

Two of my testing computers have Pro Tools 9 installed, and I have not seen any difference in compatibility since 8.0.4.

Comment

Working...
                                X