No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by wolfledge
    View Post

I read reviews before I bought - people in reviews did not like the "light touch" and that made me hesitant. I bought it and have not found it to be any issue - and it fits into my cramped home studio setup - and that way I can face the computer screen and keyboard at the same time - better workflow.

Your PRO reviews are great!

agreed. i have one as well, and the new 88. I find them both quite playable considering the price range.

Comment

I'm considering an Axiom or Axiom Pro. What's the difference between "Direct Link" on the Axiom and "Hyper Control" on the the Axiom Pro? Also, do the Axiom and Axiom Pro have the same action/keybed?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
        View Post

I'm considering an Axiom or Axiom Pro. What's the difference between "Direct Link" on the Axiom and "Hyper Control" on the the Axiom Pro? Also, do the Axiom and Axiom Pro have the same action/keybed?

HyperControl additionally allows control of sends and plug-ins, whereas directlink only controls transport, mix levels, instruments, and pan (and track buttons such as mute).

HyperControl has better Bi-Directional MIDI capabilities. Not only track names, but plug-in names, parameter names and values are all visible on the LCD. Values of sliders and encoders are "graphically" visible on the screen. There is also a "Peek" Mode where you can see the names of an entire group of parameters.

The Axiom Pro has a completely different keybed than previous or current Axioms. It has a much higher dynamic range, and many types of players were consulted to create the most responsive and useful velocity curves utilizing that extra range.

In regular "MIDI controller mode", the Axiom Pro also has a more sophisticated LCD display for more intuitive editing of parameters (especially important when programming the pads). Also, the Rotary encoders and pads on the Axiom Pro have 4 pages (called Profiles) each. This is the equivalent of having 32 encoders and 32 pads per preset.

On the Axiom Pro, all "button" type controls (including the pads and the numerical keypad) can be programmed to send ascii key commands... even with multiple modifiers!

Bottom line is although the Axiom MKII is a vast improvement over the original Axiom, the Axiom Pro is a completely different class of user experience.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
          View Post

HyperControl additionally allows control of sends and plug-ins, whereas directlink only controls transport, mix levels, instruments, and pan (also track buttons such as mute).

HyperControl has better Bi-Directional MIDI capabilities for updating the its display. Not only track names, but plug-in names, parameter names and values are all visible on the LCD. Values of sliders and encoders are "graphically" visible on the screen. There is also a "Peek" Mode where you can see the names of an entire group of parameters.

The Axiom Pro has a completely different keybed than previous or current Axioms. It has a much higher dynamic range, and many types of players were consulted to create the most responsive and useful velocity curves utilizing that extra range.

In regular "MIDI controller mode", the Axiom Pro also has a more sophisticated LCD display for more intuitive editing of parameters (especially important when programming the pads). Also, the Rotary encoders and pads on the Axiom Pro have 4 pages (called Profiles) each. This is the equivalent of having 32 encoders and 32 pads per preset.

On the Axiom Pro, all "button" type controls (including the pads and the numerical keypad) can be programmed to send ascii key commands... even with multiple modifiers!

Bottom line is although the Axiom MKII is a vast improvement over the original Axiom, the Axiom Pro is a completely different class of user experience.

Comment

Paul - thanks very much for chiming in. Of course I've been sucked into the AES black hole last week, and won't be spending too much time in Pro Review land until the videos are edited...probably early next week. I appreciate your insights, and look forward to picking up where I left off!
            Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Paul, thanks for your response-it was very helpful.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                View Post

Paul - thanks very much for chiming in. Of course I've been sucked into the AES black hole last week, and won't be spending too much time in Pro Review land until the videos are edited...probably early next week. I appreciate your insights, and look forward to picking up where I left off!

Sorry I should have done a better job of introducing myself. My name is Patrick Aurelio. I am the testing supervisor for keyboards and MIDI for Avid's M-Audio brand. I was involved in the Axiom MKII, Axiom Pro, and Oxygen 3rd gen projects pretty much from beginning to end of development. I will do my best to answer questions regarding functionality.

Cheers.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by paurelio
                  View Post

Sorry I should have done a better job of introducing myself. My name is Patrick Aurelio. I am the testing supervisor for keyboards and MIDI for Avid's M-Audio brand. I was involved in the Axiom MKII, Axiom Pro, and Oxygen 3rd gen projects pretty much from beginning to end of development. I will do my best to answer questions regarding functionality.

Cheers.

Sorry Patrick, I just assumed from the user name that "Paul" was in there somewhere. You can call me Greg Anderson

You're doing a great job of answering questions, and I appreciate that you're restricting yourself to the facts and avoiding "marketing-speak." However...you ARE talking about your "baby," and if there are features you're particularly proud of, or if you feel I'm missing out on something important, please speak up. The whole point of a pro review is not about being politically correct, but about disseminating the most accurate, useful, helpful information possible - and the people reading these reviews understand that opinions are part of the story.

Anyway, I've edited 30+ videos so far; hopefully I'll be back to the pro reviews soon. Thanks again for checking in.

Craig

Comment

Oh, and FYI - when manufacturers get involved, page views jump considerably. People like being able to ask questions and get tips "from the source" as well as from the reviewer.

Comment

I've been playing guitar and bass for about 30 years. I know my way around keys. I'm new to the whole DAW thing and am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Midi. I am using an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE 8.04 and was wondering which Axiom would be a better fit for me, the Axiom 49 or the Axiom Pro 49.

Comment

Hi Anderton and all.

I am interested reading your review. I have the axiom 61. I love it and know there's a gold mine of stuff I don't know about it. I love the difference in velocity curves for playing really sensitive piano; love the faders; like the pads and have read numerous sections of manual back and forth and would love to understand more about the data 1/2 etc. I'm new to midi and don't want you to bore all the midi gurus at home, but I have to say that I wonder why M-Audio don't make some decent videos showing us visual male types 'how to' on some of the finer points. I'm also intrigued by enigma but it remains one to me after reading manuals for it and axiom and searching for videos to show me how. Much of this may be cos I'm a midi noobie, for which I beg your indulgence, but I am still searching for explanations for such noobs as me so I can get into those cool features you are starting to explain.

Are there such videos (that don't cost $489 per course) out there?

Thanks for your article. I'll keep reading.

BTW I'm using mac book pro and imac with ableton lite 8 through USB. Don't have a clue what the driver thing could achieve for me either. Cheers.

Comment

I'm looking at the original Axiom, the Mk II, and the Pro, and trying to determine what might be best for me. What makes my perspective a little different from most of what's been discussed here is that I would not be using it for any computer integration at all. I'm only interested in controlling MIDI modules in live performance... probably mostly a Motif Rack XS, though probably one or two other modules as well. The thing that appeals to me about these vs. other controllers is that Axiom seems to be, I think, the only choice for a lightweight 4-zone performance board with aftertouch. (I wish it were available with 73 or 76 keys though!)

My applications would be pretty simple, I think. They fall mostly into these categories:

1. Many of the Motif Rack XS sounds (esp. in some of the add-on packs) can make use of buttons and sliders on an actual (non-rack) Motif for real-time sound manipulation (introducing an effect or making some other change to the sound, like simulating a drawbar in an organ patch for example), so I would want to be able to program some of the buttons and sliders on the Axiom to perform the functions of comparable controls on an actual Motif. Is this do-able?

3. I want to be able to easily call up Axiom presets which may either be complicated (which zones are transmitting on which MIDI channels over which key ranges, including appropriate patch change commands for each zone, volume settings, and octave transpositions if needed)... but could also be very simple (a single patch change command sent to the Motif Rack). Ideally, a number of these presets could be called up with a single button. One difference among the Axiom models seems to be the number of recallable presets (20 vs 50 I think?)... though for very simple things, like calling up a single patch change command, maybe I don't have to "use up" an Axiom preset, but could simply use the numeric keypad to type the patch number to send to an attached module?

The other variable could be the feel of the keyboard. I would not be using it for piano, I have a weighted 88 for that. It would be used for organ, synths, brass, strings, etc. You mentioned that the Pro keyboard is different from the others... considering it would not be for piano playing in my case, is either keyboard probably better than the other?

Based on all of the above, any guidance for which model would be best for me--if any!--would be appreciated.

Comment

M-AUDIO......

Products - GOOD !

Support - HORRIFIC !!!!!!!

Thank you for your review of the Axiom 49. They new version is an impressive unit and at an affordable price point. HOWEVER......... Am I the only one in the world who asks, "How well does a company service their customers needs" ? I'll give you musicians a tip... Start asking this important question before you shell out your hard earned dollars. There are other companies that are good "all around companies", which is more than I can say for M-Audio.

I purchased the first version Axiom 49 twenty-one months ago. I used it only about 4-5 times in my studio, and once at a show. It got bumped (not hard) when my truck had to make a sudden stop to avoid hitting a stray dog. O.k. so my packing job wasn't that greatest, and the unit fell from the seat to the floor board (1 foot distance, all carpet). My Axiom would turn on after and yes it did work (kinda). Every "D" in each octave simply wouldn't work. Also, the trigger pads had misc keys that wouldn't work depending on the sound patch I was using in Logic.

I contacted M-Audio support. It was out of warranty period. They tried to get me to "pay per incident" for technical support. USing their brutal telephone screening system which literally can make you scream due to inefficiency....I was able to lie and say the product was still under warranty and speak to someone. The "impossible to understand man from INDIA" tech tried again to charge me but I got huffy and threatened to complain to Guitar Center (where I bought it) about their poor service. The tech reluctantly gave me a couple things to try to fix the problem i.e.(factory reset, etc). He gave me an incident report number and I later tried the things he suggested. They didn't work. I tried to call him back but was never EVER able to speak to a human being again. I kept getting emails sent to me asking if my problem was fixed. I was encouraged they had some follow up mechanism in place. I responded about 5 different times telling them the problem was not fixed and to please call me, they never did. I figured out that their follow up email was an automated email that no one apparently reads. I know they don't read this because ever email I sent begging them for assistance never was answered.

I gave them my phone number and a my work email and 5 times requested they contact me further to discuss my UN-resolved issue. I'm still trying to figure out why M-Audio sends out an automated emails to follow up on "support incidents" if they don't care what the result

was (Fixed vs. Un-Fixed) ??? This makes NO sense to me whatsoever !

Long story longer, sent complaint emails to every single email I could find on their website since I could never get a live body to speak to. NEVER did I get a return call, or email with URGENCY indicated on every email. Since I'm a regular customer at Guitar Center I complained to the store manager. They rolled their eyes at me at the very mention of a problem with an M-AUDIO problem. Obviously they are familiar with the dreadful customer support ! One has to wonder why Guitar Center doesn't drop M-AUDIO ? Back to my story.... Guitar Center tried to contact the M-Audio REP (M-Audio has another name now I'm told) that handled their store. Imagine that, the M-AUDIO REP wouldn't call Guitar Center back either..... AFter more haggling and many more days passed Guitar Center agreed to send my keyboard to a repair facility to troubleshoot. They said they would be willing to pay for it to be fixed if it wasn't too much. Well, it came back with an estimate to fix that was 75% of the purchase price. Guitar Center finally did contact M-Audio with this information and M-Audio REFUSED to pay the repair cost OR replace the keyboard. Because of my loyalty of almost two decades to Guitar Center (not M-Audio) I was certain they would just give me a new one. Not a chance ! They said if I wanted to buy a new one they would give it to me at their cost or below. I NEVER EVER wanted to give M-Audio another penny of my business, however Guitar Center would only work me a deal on a new

M-Audio Keyboard. Not having the $$$ to buy the new Axiom 49, I elected for the Oxygen 49. Guitar Center sold it to me for under their cost. So..... somewhat satisfied with Guitar Center, and 100% UN satisfied with M-Audio as a company.

This is a classic example of the way the world is going for business, especially with electronic musical equipment. The company spends all of its money on R&D and MARKETING...... They spend nothing on their support department, nothing in customer service, and elect to pay slave labor wages to a guy in INDIA to do their support. With the devices weighing next to nothing anymore, and made cheaply overseas (to gain maximum profitability from their customer) you would think they would just replace my unit. Not a chance, they won't spend a penny on keeping their customers happy.

By the way, I own several other M-Audio products and I have had ZERO problems with any of them.

Yes M-AUDIO is making products that are on the cutting age

Yes they make products with affordable price points.

BUT, and a this is a giant big BUT.....

If your'e the type of person that wants the assurance that a company will stand behind their product when something goes wrong (especially out of the warranty period), don't think for a second that M-AUDIO has an interest in assisting you ! They got your $$ money $$ already, they could care less about you now ! In fact, if you do have a problem, and with their cheaply made products you will .... my guess is that you never get to speak to someone from M-Audio let alone have them fix your issue.

When we are doing a review of a product, let's consider reviewing the company as well. M-Audio has massive shortcomings in their customer support and musicians should be aware of this when buying their products.

Thank you,

MV

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul1963
                              View Post

I've been playing guitar and bass for about 30 years. I know my way around keys. I'm new to the whole DAW thing and am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Midi. I am using an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE 8.04 and was wondering which Axiom would be a better fit for me, the Axiom 49 or the Axiom Pro 49.

Both units would integrate well with your system. If you haven't already, check out my previous post outlining the differences between the Regular Axiom and the Pro. As a person who knows your way around keys, The Axiom Pro has a semi-weighted feel, while the Axiom MKII has a more standard "synth" feel.

Almost all of Eleven Rack's parameters respond to MIDI CCs so you could program either keyboard unit to be a custom controller for Eleven Rack. With Axiom Pro, you would have many more rotary controls per preset because of the profiles, and you can name them all. With either, you could use an expression pedal (in addition to connecting one to Eleven Rack) to control whatever you wish... you could have 1 volume-1 wah or something more creative.

There's a MIDI CC reference in the "Options" menu of the Eleven Rack hardware display.

Cheers,

Patrick S. Aurelio

Test Supervisor - Keyboards and MIDI

Avid

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott
                                View Post

1. Many of the Motif Rack XS sounds (esp. in some of the add-on packs) can make use of buttons and sliders on an actual (non-rack) Motif for real-time sound manipulation (introducing an effect or making some other change to the sound, like simulating a drawbar in an organ patch for example), so I would want to be able to program some of the buttons and sliders on the Axiom to perform the functions of comparable controls on an actual Motif. Is this do-able?

I do not own a Motif, but if these parameters respond to MIDI CCs, RPNs or NRPNS, anything in the Axiom range will be able to control them.

View Post

3. I want to be able to easily call up Axiom presets which may either be complicated (which zones are transmitting on which MIDI channels over which key ranges, including appropriate patch change commands for each zone, volume settings, and octave transpositions if needed)... but could also be very simple (a single patch change command sent to the Motif Rack). Ideally, a number of these presets could be called up with a single button. One difference among the Axiom models seems to be the number of recallable presets (20 vs 50 I think?)... though for very simple things, like calling up a single patch change command, maybe I don't have to "use up" an Axiom preset, but could simply use the numeric keypad to type the patch number to send to an attached module?

Most of the simple things like program/bank change can be handled by a single button without having to switch presets of the controller. Each button (including numerical keys and pads) can recall a preset with MIDI program change, bank MSB, and bank LSB in one stroke. Any button can be set to increment/decrement patches as well. Unfortunately preset numbers cannot be typed data entry style. Each button can be constrained to a zone or be global.

Added benefits with the Axiom Pro are more buttons (numerical keypad and "F" keys) and the fact that you can store and "Peek" at custom parameter names for the buttons, sliders, etc. Preset naming is also only possible on the Axiom Pro.

Changing the actual preset of the controller is entirely through inc-dec buttons on the regular Axiom. However the Axiom Pro requires pressing "load", then a preset can be typed in or inc-dec.

View Post

The other variable could be the feel of the keyboard. I would not be using it for piano, I have a weighted 88 for that. It would be used for organ, synths, brass, strings, etc. You mentioned that the Pro keyboard is different from the others... considering it would not be for piano playing in my case, is either keyboard probably better than the other?

There is a little more "weight" to the action of the Axiom Pro than the standard Axiom and the Pro has more velocity curve options.

Regards,

Patrick S. Aurelio

Testing Supervisor: Keyboards and MIDI

Avid

Comment

Working...
                                X