No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by ponchihantouche
    View Post

I have a little problem with my mixer Phonic.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 and I can't control de Recording Volume with my faders, only with te Gains.

Not a problem - that's how it's supposed to work. The Summit cannot control your DAW - you can only record the raw inputs. You can also play back up to 16 channels though it and use the mixer to mix down to stereo but you'd normally not do that - you'd use your DAW to EQ/compress/add FX/mixdown/etc without any futher use of the Summit. Unfortunately you cannot record the output of the Summit via the USB/firewire so it is quite unlike a USB enabled analog mixer in this regard . You'd need an AES/BDU interface card for your PC for that if you don't want the additional digital to analog to digital conversions of using an analog input on your PC.

Comment

Hey, stoopid question - is there a simple PC program that will just capture all 16 channels to disk without having to set up a project in a DAW? Presonus has "Capture" for the SL, I've not checked to see if that would work with a Summit...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
        View Post

Hey, stoopid question - is there a simple PC program that will just capture all 16 channels to disk without having to set up a project in a DAW? Presonus has "Capture" for the SL, I've not checked to see if that would work with a Summit...

You can "dumb down" pretty much any DAW to record 16 channels, and create a template that has only those channels already set up to the right I/O and all that...then just hit record. Someone was telling me they wished there was a DAW that was just a basic ADAT, so I set up a template in Sonar that looked just like an ADAT

There are "lite" versions of programs that cost next to nothing (or are bundled - like PreSonus Studio One artist), or you could get Mixcraft, which is inexpensive but also includes some really nice plug-ins that aren't keyed solely to Mixcraft.
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
          View Post

Hey, stoopid question -

If you think that's a stupid question, you obviously have not spent a whole lot of time on internet forums
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

RoadRanger: Please see post #89. It was trapped by a spam filter and I just noticed that it needed to be approved.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
              View Post

You can "dumb down" pretty much any DAW to record 16 channels

Yes - but I was hoping for something less resource intensive AKA more stable. But then DAW's have come a long way and even the PC based ones are pretty stable these days as long as you don't try to use firewire .

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by caitlyntw
                View Post

RoadRanger, Thanks for the participation in the thread to let other know your product experience and for giving us feedback to make changes/improvements to our product. We're always looking for good marketing and technical talents so if you know anyone who would be interested in writing a more in-depth manual or other tutorial material, feel free to pm me here or email

You're welcome - and I PM'd you . BTW is Grant still with you? It's been a couple weeks since we've seen anyone from Phonic on your forum :

https://getsatisfaction.com/phonic

Comment

Hello friends of the forum ... he writes a 1-year student in audio engineering, Chile, first of all excuse my English but as it is write, write this message in my language (Spanish) and use the google translator to publish it.

I tell my story briefly.

about 1 year ago I started to amplify live bands in the neighborhood where I live, without any kind of knowledge and a mixer samson tmx20 that even I have, and did not understand much of amplification participate in a basic training in sound reinforcement, etc. .. and spent time with more knowledge in my head and I bought some very simple equipment and the reach of my salary (signal processors, EQ, etc), but this year I intend to grow, as I have done quite well, I began my studies engineering in sound and pretend my mixer renobar digital one and thought about the digital phonic mixer s16, to start as I have said and I read that it is quite easy to use, as already occupy roughly because I have studied the manual a few times and I draw much attention, but my question is if this mixer can leave something like "online" to use them as if they were a single 32-channel mixer ... series such as I live allen & heath attached image

good thanking this forum that has served me well, Hector greets them from the city of Santiago, Chile

Comment

Just had a "eureka" moment the other evening with my Summit... As I explained earlier in this thread, I have normally been tracking FireWire to MacBook Pro and also recording a 2 track backup to SDHC on a Denon DN-F650R hooked up via AES/EBU. Problem was, the lead guitar and vocals were always coming across too loud in the recorded mix, which must be that way for FOH mix to sound proper. The other guys in the band are always wanting to old-school it and hang a pair of mics out in the sweet spot, which there is nothing wrong with at all. However, THAT isn't what I was looking to accomplish. What I was looking to do is get a "studio" mix off the board during a live performance. The key was to patch 2 Multi-outs to XLR analog inputs on the Denon DN-F650R - that way I can adjust 2 aux sends to balance recording levels out without affecting the FOH mix. Viola. Why did I not think of it sooner?

I also use the Control Room output as my monitor mix to easily find and isolate feedback issues.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by desertfox
                      View Post

Why did I not think of it sooner?

Maybe for the same reason it took me so long to realize the touch screen was the mixer, and the hardware was just there to support it!

In a lot of ways, the S16 was almost like the first iPad-based mixer...except it didn't use an iPad

Comment

• When doing a "live to two track" recording without an audience I'll just use the main outs since we need no PA for that - just monitors on the auxes. That way you can use the faders and FX. BTW I did put in a "feature request" to allow the main outs (or a pair of groups) to be recorded via the USB/Firewire interface since I have one of those. I believe you can do that on the Presonus SL?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Pulent_Tito
                          View Post

Hello friends of the forum ... he writes a 1-year student in audio engineering, Chile, first of all excuse my English but as it is write, write this message in my language (Spanish) and use the google translator to publish it.

Hola Hector!

[...]my question is if this mixer can leave something like "online" to use them as if they were a single 32-channel mixer ... series such as I live allen & heath

You can "combine" the main outs by using the AES/BDU out on one to the in on the other but you can't combine the monitor sends without using an external mixer. If you can put all the inputs that need to be in the monitors on one of the mixers you could do it that way. It would be nice if Phonic could link all the buses somehow - maybe by using a extended version of multichannel AES/BDU ?

Comment

• Excuse the English. I'm Italian and I have a problem with mixer phonic summit. My problem is that the "on" lights don't always accurately reflect the status of that Main/Layer mode/Fader mode. What can i do? I'm desperate!!! Help me!!!

P.s.: upgrade 1.10.40!

Thank you!

Comment

• That sounds similar to the issue I reported here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/phonic/t...t_always_right

Comment

• No one answers? Has added another problem: not working AUX/MULTI!!! HELP ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X