Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the next tab in the Setup section chooses the Clock Source. There's not too much to discuss here...you can select 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96kHz, as well as external digital in or word clock.

Moving along, there's the LCD calibration. This simply involves having five crosshairs appear sequentially on the screen. You tap each one as it appears, and then calibration is complete.

And finally, we have Update. As RoadRanger noticed, this is a blissfully simple process as long as your computer can transfer data to an SD card. You copy the software to the card, insert it, turn on the mixer, then follow the instructions.

...and that's it for the setup screens.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Does he Phonic allow me to hear FX but send a dry and/or wet signal to the DAW via USB? I play drums and would like to hear the effects but have the choice to use my DAW to insert them to a dry signal later. Or if i really like them i would send them. (An example might be using a notch eq to filter out the ringing of each tom)

Comment

Actually, at the moment you can't record the EFX - you record your clean signal from the input channels. This was initially done so users could always just apply the EFX they want in their DAW but we may figure out a system where effects can be recorded if customers so wish (it would mean giving up a channel though).

So basically, yes, you can use the EFX all you want on the system and they won't pop up on your recordings.

Sorry it took so long to get to this, it's been hectic out here!

Comment

It would be useful in live use to be able to record the main stereo mix or from a pair of groups. Bands like to get a recording of their live playing and are willing to pay a small amount for this but don't want to pay for your time to mix it down on a DAW. Commonly we'll run off a CDROM or two for them while packing up for the night.

Comment

I've had mine for 1 year now using it for most all of our live gigs, using it for recording both via FireWire for Tracking to Logic and via AES/EBU to a Denon DN-F650R. I had to learn everything about it myself since I have never seen another one and only recently ran into this review. I'd love to get my hands on a new S16 - how about a trade-in for both of us out here who bought Summit Digital Workstations, listening Phonic?

One thing that would freak most live sound guys out is to see nothing coming off the mains on the back of my board. Instead, it goes AES/EBU -> DEQ2496 -> Denon DN-F650R -> back to Summit AES/EBU input. Then I go DEQ2496 optical out -> SRC2496, then AES/EBU out -> DCX2496 Input A. Signal is digital all the way to the crossover/loudspeaker distro. Generally run out to 2 subs, 4 15" mains and 2 2x10" mains. Each band member has their own monitor mix coming off a Multi-out.

15&16 patch to my RX1602 for keyboards, computer, all other line levels on this submixer and ready for 2TR for iPod but that isn't necessary because...

I have a SDJ-2 that I hooked up to the inputs on the Denon DN-F650R which gets it back to the board via AES/EBU! Slick stuff. All my stereo recording and playback is via SDHC cards, which is a nice backup to tracking in the event a DAW crashes, etc. I mostly record MP3 as it can be immediately copied to someone's flash drive or smart phone but I can record PCM at 96Khz. For live sound, the difference between 44Khz, 48Khz, and 96Khz seems insignificant so I run 44Khz.

Another great thing my Summit does is interact with DJ software to assign channel pairs as mains, pairs for headphone cue, microphone, etc. all via FireWire. It is also possible to playback a recorded channel or channels via FireWire. One thing that got me really good one night was that I had setup some channels with FireWire input turned on, then did not have a computer connected later on in a live environment and could not figure out why I was not getting any sound out of certain channels... There was no indication of it being routed out to FireWire never-never land. Once I hooked up a computer, the FireWire lights on those channels lit up and I was able to re-route back to normal. Duh... Changing saved scenes that did not have the FireWire channel routing activated was the only way to fix it w/o a computer attached.

Another gotcha that took me awhile to figure out was that headphone volume seemed really low. I'd crank the knob all the way and it wasn't loud enough to hear over much of anything. But alas, headphone volume is linked to control room volume and by turning up control room volume on the screen (not the physical knob), headphone volume gets as loud as you want.

I've detected some artifacts in the compressor if the attack is set to less than 8ms. Hopefully the algorithm will be fixed by firmware update.

You're right about a "Eureka" moment and this mixer. But once that moment hits, it is a very capable tool for both live and recording. AAMOF, it blurs the line between as now I record everything live.

Listening to mine as I type...

Comment

Hi desertfox,

Thanks for taking the time to write down your experience. I'll convey the couple of issues you had with the product manager (particularly that compressor one, I don't think I'd heard this before - though he may be aware). Not sure about a trade in but we'll keep in touch. The new iS16 isn't quite ready for the street yet so we've got some time to discuss it.

Comment

Let me chime in here...extremely fast compressor attacks will be an issue with some program material. This is because with short enough attacks, the compression actually tracks the waveform. 1ms is 1kHz and 10ms is 100Hz, so with 8ms, waveforms around 200Hz will trigger the compressor, almost like a ring modulator effect. The usual "fix" is to lengthen the decay time so the trigger's decay is long enough to mask the rapid response, or to set an attack time longer than the period of the lowest anticipated waveform.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                  View Post

Let me chime in here...extremely fast compressor attacks will be an issue with some program material. This is because with short enough attacks, the compression actually tracks the waveform. 1ms is 1kHz and 10ms is 100Hz, so with 8ms, waveforms around 200Hz will trigger the compressor, almost like a ring modulator effect. The usual "fix" is to lengthen the decay time so the trigger's decay is long enough to mask the rapid response, or to set an attack time longer than the period of the lowest anticipated waveform.

Some would argue that one could abuse such an anomaly as an effect in itself - I know I would if it sounded appropriate to the material I was working on .
                  Venn Diagram - Artist WebsiteMachinedrum, Monomachine, Analog Four, Octatrack, NordModular, Moog SubPhatty, Novation Nova, Korg MS20 Mini, Maschine, Tassman, Aalto, Absynth, Uhe's ACE & AudulusContact

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by U&I
                    View Post

Some would argue that one could abuse such an anomaly as an effect in itself

You indeed could - particularly with bass. Envelope followers can give the same kind of effect, which is why when I designed them, I tried to make both the attack and release variable so it was possible to add a bit of "growl."

Comment

I'm sitting here drooling over the new iS16... Thanks to everyone who responded and the bug/hidden effect in the compressor makes perfect sense when explained by the numbers.

Comment

Hi everybody,

i have this really good Digital mixer.

I try to update so i begin to put the 'files restore' the Driver first, I turn on my Summit, and SUMMIT icone block 5 minute it's normal. I shutdown the Mixer.

After that, i put the file 'PHONIC.Summit.ap' that i rename 'PHONIC.Summit', and it's the only one on the SD card (SD not SDHC) in FAT-32.

I restart and SUMMIT icone block 5 minute it's normal too but nothing happen.

I try without key it's the same thing : PHONIC red block.

I have test the last Update but firstly it must install the restorfiles to update the 9.12 dsp with the last update files

Have you ever had a similar problem ? How did you proceed to update the mixer ?

Thx.

EDIT : grrrr i hope i don't have freeze my PHONIC

Comment

TO UPDATE A PHONIC SUMMIT (phonic corporation....'-_-)

Actually, the firmeware of phonic is 8.06, with addition-card

Take only SD Card not SDHC in FAT-32 for upadate

So FIRSTLY, go to download the 'Summit_Restore' on phonic website.

Because that go update the update system.Without that, YOU CAN'T UPDATE BY UPDATE MENU !!

1) Fallow all instruction of the 'Summit_Restore': the PHONIC Summit will be in 9.0

2) Take the last 'summit_firmware' on phonic website, and fallow instruction and all fonctionnate.

I think SUMMIT Corporation is not at all with their customer, don't reply to claim, a shame in the current economic system !!!!

CORDIALLY.

Comment

Is there Phonic IS16 available anywhere? In/to Europe?

http://www.phonic.com/en/is16.html

Comment

This has been a great read, but wish there was some info on using this as an recording audio interface.

Anyone using this with Reaper?

What does and doesn't work with Reaper?

If not Reaper then what DAW are you using and how well does this integrate?

Does this work as a control surface? If so do you have to have both a firewire connection, audio, and a USB 2 connection, MCU/HUI midi commands? Or is everything tunneled in the firewire.

What Firewire motherboard chipset works.

If I have more then 16 tracks in a project can I "bank up" the channels and control another 16 tracks?

Can you apply the onboard effects to the channel as you record it, or do you have to feed it back into the mixer and apply?

Any feedback as a dedicated audio interface in a project studio anyone would care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Duff

Comment

I suggest a firmware update that makes one of the buttons assignable so we can get a 17-32 option. I prefer to have the channels layered than not to have the extra channels at all. Phonic also needs to up the customer service and reply to concerns more quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X