Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass View Post

I have been looking at used Brian Moore guitars. I think I just made up my mind on what I am getting. The only thing I am NOT hot on is the satin neck.

The satin neck is definitely an adjustment for most players (myself included). Certainly, Epi elected to do this as a cost-cutting measure. Having played the guitar for a while, though, I don't find it to be detrimental, or even a distraction.

Les Paul Buying Guide

Forum Readers: If you're not sure what we're talking about here, it's that the back of the neck (not the fretboard), is a satin, or matte (non-glossy) finish. It has a different feel from a glossy finish, and some say if affects playability. (I notice it being a different feel, but it doesn't affect that way I play.) Satin finishes are cheaper to manufacture than gloss finishes, and Epi did this to keep the price down to around $750.

Jon Chappell
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
    Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Honestly though, would glossing the neck take the price to like....$753?
      Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Interesting. Though I'm brand new to guitar, I actually preferred the feel of a satin neck. The Glossy necks seemed to stick to my fingers, making it harder to get around the neck. But maybe that’s my inexperience talking?
        My Progressive Rock Band's website. If you check it out let me know what you think of our music/lyrics! http://www.facebook.com/aeonsatori

Comment

I've seen at least two people say that the Ultra III won't fit in a standard Epiphone Les Paul case. Have you tried it in one?

(Cool review Jon, but tell us about your jam) :-)
          -David

(the artist formally known as DC before the move to HC)

Comment

Hey Jon, thanks for the review!

I'm curious about your opinion of the nanomag sounds. I've got an Acoustasonic Tele (not that funny looking half acoustic tele thing from the 90's...) and absolutely love the Fishman Aura images it has. Are the 'acoustic-like' tones that the nanomag puts out good enough to stand on their own? I really love my Tele, but I'm more of a Les Paul kinda guy looks-wise..
            Fender Acoustasonic Tele
            Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
            Epi Les Paul Custom
            Garrison G-50-E
            1984 Martin Shenandoah
            Stiletto Studio5
            Upright bass w/pickup
            Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
            Essex (SX) B-205
            And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
            Aphex Punch Factor
            Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
            Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bassred
              View Post

I'm curious about your opinion of the nanomag sounds. I've got an Acoustasonic Tele (not that funny looking half acoustic tele thing from the 90's...) and absolutely love the Fishman Aura images it has. Are the 'acoustic-like' tones that the nanomag puts out good enough to stand on their own? I really love my Tele, but I'm more of a Les Paul kinda guy looks-wise..

It would be hard to answer that question w/out putting the Fishman Aura into the LP. I think the nanomag sounds fine. It definitely adds that acoustic dimension, and you can use it in exposed areas (intros, etc.). Can't say whether a NM-fitted LP is better than the Aura-fitted Tele, though.

I think if you were already used to having an acoustic-pickup sound (whether piezo or nanomag) from your solidbody, the next solidbody should also have it.
              Jon Chappell
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
              Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Haven't been on HC in a while and just came across this. Thanks for the review. I happen to own an Epi Les Paul Ultra II (has nanomag, but no USB, tuner, or push switch). I absolutely LOVE my Ultra II, and its my go-to gigging guitar. I also own an original '52 LP Goldtop (I've owned since 1968), and a '95 LP Custom, Custom Shop flametop (gorgeous). But I keep coming back to the UII for its tonal palette and flexibility. I put a set of Duncan's on it to give it a bit more punch and am very happy with the humbucker sound. The nanomag turns it into a sweet sounding acoustic, and I use that when playing rhythm on tunes that require that. I find I don't usually blend them as I'm playing through a single amp and enjoy the contrast from one sound to the other. I do use a Janglebox compressor, especially when using the nanomag, which gives it an even more attention-getting mellow tone. I love the chambered, form fitting body and its WAY easier on my back all night than my much heavier Gibson LPs. I did have two minor problems, one with the original jackplate (plastic on the UII) which cracked, but Epi sent me a replacement (and probably why they went to a metal one on UIII). And, I had to take a file to the G fretwire as it stuck out past the fretboard and would occasionally catch the high E string on it. But that was a very easy fix. The added features of the UIII seem appealing, and maybe one day soon, I'll make an upgrade. These EPI Les Paul Ultras are WONDERFUL, under-rated guitars. And, for the price, they're an incredible value. I've also been eyeing the 339 Ultra, but with the great tones I already get out of my UII, I'm not sure I need it??

Comment

My love affair with the guitar has only just begun and I spent countless hours researching and debating what guitar would be my very first.... My final choice was the Epi Ultra III and I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase, I won't ever part with this guitar not only because it was my first, because its quality instrument.... Kudo's to Epiphone!!!!

Comment

At last! A made in China Epi LP that is more expensive than a real Gibson LP.

The highend of the lowend exceeds the value of the lowend of the highend. LOL

Nice added features though. Of course if the the whiz-bang features have any real usefulness they will be available as generic aftermarket accessories for any guitar soon.

Im captivated by the humbucker tuner. In fact it seems to be available now from its original source. That the cats meow. And a beautiful presentation in this ad.

Comment

Working...
                    X