No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    View Post

It's really not that much of a problem, nabeel. More of a minor annoyance. It would have been *convenient* to have stereo jacks side-by-side.

Yeah, I hear ya. I have a small Tascam recorder too, which I'll be using when I run to the board, I'll probably just put it into the headphone out

Comment

• Here's something I just figured out

When using Eleven Rack as an interface, it's important to realize there are two MIDI ports. The Eleven Rack port is for MIDI control over USB of the Eleven Rack parameters, but using the physical 5-pin DIN connectors for, say, an external MIDI keyboard or control surface requires using the External MIDI port.

I found this out the hard way while using the 11R with Sonar - I couldn't get my keyboard to show up as playing MIDI notes. I had Eleven Rack selected, right? Wrong. As soon as I enabled the External port, everything worked as it was supposed.

BTW - I'm writing an article for issue #84 of the Harmony Central Confidential newsletter on how to use the 11R with non-Pro Tools programs, including Cubase, Sonar, Live, Record, and Mixcraft. Stay tuned! 11R makes a pretty cool general-purpose interface. When the article gets posted in the library, I'll include a link here.
      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Bring this up!

I'm running the 11R into Garageband, it records just fine, but the ability to adjust recording level in garageband is not selectable.

Can anyone help with suggestions or workarounds perhaps?

Comment

• Hi Scootergtr,

If you're recording the output of your Rig (guitar signal through all the amp and FX emulation), you can set your signal level by adjusting the "Rig Volume" control.

Press EDIT

Turn the SCROLL knob until you highlight the block labelled "OUTPUT"

Turn the illuminated knob on the far left labelled "RIG VOL"

Hope this helps.

Hiro

Comment

• Thanks for the great review. I do have a couple of questions.

Compared to the tones of Pod Farm, how do you feel this compares? I am really interested in getting one, I do not gig, but I live in an apartment, thus making it hard to justify purchasing a tube amp. However, these clips sounded great, and I'm just curious about your opinion.

Also, does the Eleven Rack take pedals well? I have a couple of pedals that I bought a while ago that I was going to use with a tube amp, but I decided against getting a tube amp due to my apartment situation. Its a boost and a big muff clone, and I was wondering if you had any experience with any real pedals through this product.

THanks for the great review, it looks like I may have to start saving up for one of these.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Ehosteda
              View Post

Thanks for the great review. I do have a couple of questions.

That's why we're here

Compared to the tones of Pod Farm, how do you feel this compares?

I really feel that like amps, amp sims have their own character. You get more amps and effects with POD Farm 2, and the ability to do dual signal paths. Those are very strong points. As to the sound, a lot of that is how you program the various modules. I guarantee I can find people who can make either Eleven Rack or POD Farm sound terrible, and others who can make either one sound great. If you have an iLok, you can download a 15-day free POD Farm 2 trial.

I am really interested in getting one, I do not gig, but I live in an apartment, thus making it hard to justify purchasing a tube amp. However, these clips sounded great, and I'm just curious about your opinion.

If you don't gig and already have an interface, then you don't need two of Eleven's most compelling features and you could save a lot of bucks by getting POD Farm 2 and all the model packs...and have enough left over to buy some other amp sims. Also remember that you won't be able to do the cool on-screen Eleven Rack editing with programs other than Pro Tools.

Also, does the Eleven Rack take pedals well? I have a couple of pedals that I bought a while ago that I was going to use with a tube amp, but I decided against getting a tube amp due to my apartment situation. Its a boost and a big muff clone, and I was wondering if you had any experience with any real pedals through this product.

You can of course put pedals before Eleven Rack, but one of Eleven Rack's really excellent features is the effects loop. That's much more tedious to pull off in a DAW context with a plug-in; for example if you were using POD Farm, you'd need a DAW with an external insert option for plug-ins, then put an instance of POD Farm before the hardware insert, and another instance afterward.

Hope this helps! Eleven Rack is a fine unit, but I'd say it's biggest strengths are the ability to pick it up and take it to a gig, integration with Pro Tools, and overall quality of the audio interface.

THanks for the great review, it looks like I may have to start saving up for one of these.[/QUOTE]
              N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Check it out! Looks like everything I was wanting is going to be added . . . parametric eq, stereo delay, etc! http://www.avid.com/US/products/Elev...-Pack/features
                http://www.theunlikelies.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by travisswan
                  View Post

Check it out! Looks like everything I was wanting is going to be added . . . parametric eq, stereo delay, etc! http://www.avid.com/US/products/Elev...-Pack/features

Hiro, do you have any idea what the expansion pack will cost?

Comment

• $99 - Available in March

Comment

• Hi Travisswan - $99 in March is correct. What we showed at the show was an alpha build but we're on the home stretch to complete our development. I've got to admit, it's one of these things that looks mildly impressive on paper but when you hear it, it's awesome. We can't wait to get this out to you guys.

@Alvasin - Using Eleven Rack as your sole interface depends on what type of recording you're doing on a regular basis. If you are recording more than just guitar, particularly a lot of multiple mic setups like drums of acoustic ensembles, then you could use a interface with more inputs like a 003 or ProFire 2626. If it's pretty much a single instrument at a time like guitars, bass, some vocals or a keyboard, the Eleven Rack will do great with inputs for guitar, mic and line level sources. The new parametric EQ and Dynamics processing in the forthcoming upgrade is going give you the ability to track with that kind of processing which is something those other interface products can not do.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by avidgtrpm
                        View Post

I've got to admit, it's one of these things that looks mildly impressive on paper but when you hear it, it's awesome. We can't wait to get this out to you guys.

"Mildly impressive?" Hah - it looks AWESOME on paper, and I haven't even heard it. I haven't touched my amps or pedals since I first plugged into this thing about 5 months ago - been using it constantly both live and in the studio. In fact, I've started selling off my other gear because I'm tired of it sitting around doing nothing. Needless to say, this update sounds awesome and I'm greatly looking forward to it!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by avidgtrpm
                          View Post

Eleven Rack does come with Core Audio and ASIO drivers which will allow you to use Eleven Rack as your audio interface with other DAWs like Sonar. It's not going to be as 'advantaged' as when you use Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE but no different than using any other 3rd party interface. I don't know how old your versions of Sonar and Windows are so I can't guarantee everything will work.

Actually there is one (potential major, depending on your workflow) problem with using DAWs other than PT: There is no way to mute the rig output to the Main XLR Outputs, so if you want to add extra VST plugins (such as say iface or recabinet for example) to the rig output and listen to that the rig output from Eleven Rack will be heard as well. If you use Protools it mutes the rig output on startup, none of the other DAWs do that.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                            View Post

I finished the article that goes into more detail on the "fizz removal" process.

It includes the examples from this Pro Review, but also gives some additional tips about trimming high and low-frequency, as well as "dual notch" techniques illustrated with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 4. If you found the fizz removal technique intriguing, I strongly suggest you read the article...it takes the concept to the next level, and has a ton of audio examples.

A quicker alternative to the EQ is to use an impulse-based VST, such as Recabinet or iFace + redwirez *after* the eleven rig input does wonders to the fizz and improves the overall sound a lot. The trick is that if you use a cab on the 11, but do not use the impulse plugin's wet signal 100%, leave it to say around 50% dry/wet instead. Give it a go, I was very surprised by the great tone I got.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MoonBoy
                              View Post

A quicker alternative to the EQ is to use an impulse-based VST, such as Recabinet or iFace + redwirez *after* the eleven rig input does wonders to the fizz and improves the overall sound a lot. The trick is that if you use a cab on the 11, but do not use the impulse plugin's wet signal 100%, leave it to say around 50% dry/wet instead. Give it a go, I was very surprised by the great tone I got.

Good tip, I actually tried the convolution cabinet in ReValver for the same reason and I can confirm what you observed. But, I find adding an additional cab alters the sound of the amp more than the parametric approach; the parametric lets you optimize the amp you've chosen rather than give a "different sound."

And some breaking news - I was talking to someone from Avid the other day, and I'll be getting the update as soon as it's available. I'll add a "coda" to this review as soon as I've had a chance to play with the update.

Comment

• I just got the Eleven Rack expansion pack. I've played with it for a few hours now - HIGHLY recommend it thus far.

My favorite additions:

The J45 Amp (1965 Marshall JTM45) - I think "big and warm" describes this amp. Wow. In conjunction with the new DC Distortion pedal it SINGS for lead stuff. I threw a tiny bit of Multi-Chorus in after the cabinet for a little warmth and boy did it deliver.

I'm also loving the new speaker breakup feature - I used to push cabinets to the breaking point regularly to get the "breathing" thing happening (if you haven't tried doing this on a recording - TRY IT), and Avid is right on the money with their speaker breakup.

I'm totally excited about the 4-band parametric EQ but haven't tried it yet. I did notice it's all knobs though - the visually informative graph you get in Pro Tools inserts is missing, which is a bit disappointing, but I guess I can't have EVERYTHING I want.

I'll post more as I play more.

Comment

Working...
                                X