Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    View Post

Pas de probleme, Laurent! Je crois que peut-etre c'est une probleme avec MIDI, pas l'audio. J'ai utiliser Venom avec Ableton Live sans peine (mais avec Windows, pas Mac). J'ai Live sur le Mac et peut lui donner un essai.

Aussi, il y a de nouveau "firmware" - avez-vous l'installer? Ca fait un grand difference.

English: I think it's a problem with MIDI, not audio. I've used Venom with Ableton live without trouble (although on Windows, not Mac). I do have Live on the Mac and can give it a try.

Also, there's new firmware - have you installed it? It makes a big difference.

Thanks Craig for the tip. I installed the new firmware and it made a huge difference. I no longer hear that usb whine and the programs seem to change faster. -Ken

Comment

View Post

However, the coolest part (well at least in my opinion) about the external audio inputs is that they can be routed into Venom’s filter, amp, and effects. Yes, gate an incoming guitar sound…process it…you get the idea. We’ll get into this in detail later, but it seemed like a teaser might be appropriate

Hello Craig,

I'm very interested whether you found this feature useful and as cool as you expected it to be. I'm considering buying a Venom, and in addition to all those gritty sounds, hooking my Nord Electro to it to add some delay. Or turning the direct output of Nord down and using Venom's filter and filter envelope, which Electro also lacks.

From reading the manual it appears, that it should be possible with a patch with all oscilators silent and MIDI sent from Nord to control the envelope. What are your experiences?

Comment

• I've also developed an interest in knowing about applying the effects to input signals. Specifically I'd like to know how I can use the Venom as a delay "pedal" for my guitar. Looking through the manual gives me the impression that I can do it but I haven't used the Venom keyboard enough to be very familiar with it's ways.
        Gotta have my Guitars, gotta have my Keyboards, gotta have my computers so I can record my Guitars & Keyboards!

Comment

• I've spent some time today messing with the Venom and the Vyzex program but can't find anywhere that mentions or addresses the instrument/mic inputs? I'm surely missing it right?
          Gotta have my Guitars, gotta have my Keyboards, gotta have my computers so I can record my Guitars & Keyboards!

Comment

• Unfortunately it seems that both M-Audio and Psicraft (who made the Vyzex editor software needed to access the Venom's deeper functionality) are possibly abandoning this great synth to an early grave. Anyone that reads this review should be aware of this and factor that into their potential purchase.

For instance, when the Venom was first launched around 18 months ago, we were promised that we'd have the ability to buy (for a small fee) a more advanced software editor called Vyzor, which would allow (among other features) the ability to edit the midi messages sent by the controllers, and also would act as a VST plugin. Initially they said this software would be ready in 3 months. Needless to say, there has been delay after delay.

At NAMM in January they refreshed their 'coming soon' front page at www.vyzor.com to say that Vyzor is in final testing and should be available in 'around a week'. That was around 20 weeks ago.

There has been no response from the Psicraft reps in their forum, or from M-Audio staff in their Venom subforum for the past 6 to 8 weeks. In this case, I don't think we can apply the old adage 'no news is good news'.

This is really a great shame. One of the primary reasons I bought this synth in the first week of availability was the promise of this more advanced editor, and specifically the ability to work as a plugin within my chosen DAW. I'm still waiting over 15 months later.

If anyone from M-Audio / Psicraft or our trusty reviewer could shed some light on all of this, there are quite a few users waiting on some answers.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by badseed79
              View Post

If anyone from M-Audio / Psicraft or our trusty reviewer could shed some light on all of this, there are quite a few users waiting on some answers.

While I can't reveal my sources, I can say that neither M-Audio nor Psicraft are abandoning Venom. Don't ask me to elaborate, because I won't/can't. Suffice it to say I have a network of spies that extends throughout this industry

From my perspective, if they HAD decided to abandon Venom, I'd still be happy with what I have. But as someone who really likes and uses Venom, I too am looking forward to whatever's going to happen next.
              There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Thanks for your update Craig - it really is appreciated.

There are many of us out there that also love this little synth - we'd just like the last few things ironed out and the promised advanced editor to appear and all will be well.

Comment

• Yes, I wait patiently too

Comment

• Okay, the cat's out of the bag. Here's what I couldn't tell you about.

Jack O'Donnell seems to have some kind of golden touch, he's resurrected Alesis and Akai very successfully after being told they were a lost cause. I suspect that Venom will prosper under Akai, assuming they continue to plan producing it (I would be shocked if they didn't). Taiho Yamada who designed Venom was also involved in the Alesis Ion, so there's already a connection.
                    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• On the subject of Akai/Alesis, I read a news update; more of a public announcement by AVID with no qualification of WHY AVID is doing this but AVID has decided focus ONLY on Pro-Level gear instead of the requirements of a "Home Studio", refering to M-Audio, which AVID owns, and almost sounded like "restructering/reorganizing", the kind of words one uses to avoid saying bankruptcy. Wish I could find the article to post here now, but it was a very "matter-in-fact" statement that Numark will now be handling M-Audio so AVID can concentrate on their Audio/Visual Professional Gear. This bothers me in fact AVID takes a REAL LONG time before releasing updates to say Pro Tools or M-Audio Axiom Pro Controller and their Hypercontrol programs to ensure compatibility within product line. So will Numark now be responsible for the Venom and updates to hypercontrol AND will AVID no longer be producing M-Powered Software as what I have, MP9? It was a Public Announcement just last week or so either here on HC , SOS, or perhaps Keyboard Magazene's parent Co's website...sorry, just had surgery and am a recently disabled Veteran so when I find the exact announcement, will post it. One would think it would be on AVID's webpage as well, however, it SURE sounded like AVID was distancing themself from the home studio musician crowd by placing emphasis on their Pro Tools HD and AVID Audio-Visual efforts.

OK, I feel like a total idio because the post above by Anderton has the EXACT news release I read...I am surely blaming the post surgical medications for pain on not seeing that link on top of his post...there you go, confirmation! By the way, I posted *unanswered* questions to AVID about my concern for compatibility and updates since like in Alesis' case, Numark seems to be the once great gear producer's purgatory and they slowly die off after doing nothing but producing plethora of midi controllers and by the way of DJ GEAR....eehh!

Comment

• Part 1: Getting the Venom

Things about Avid selling (laying off) M-Audio are key in this. When businesses evolve in such dramatic ways users are in fact left alone. Last month I was having a round on my local distributor and saw the Venom synth for less than 200 EUR (even less in USD). I was a bit thoughtful at start (the synth built quality of the material its a bit on the cheap side, specially having used and programmed analogue synths such as Roland JX/Juno and Korg MS's), but I had a go and tried it in the store. Well, I was pleased with the fact the preset and the overall sound quality were above normal, even for what originally was the double of the price. The thing has something capable in there to express musicality, with its own filthy and a little sinister angle.

But I did not buy it though. I surfed the Internet instead. For a why on the price (why such a dramatic drop? What's wrong in here?). The fact that there were many users reporting glitches, some of them left (yet) unanswered was one shop stopping point. The disposal of M-Audio came quickly to the public as well. And Psicraft (Tony) not releasing the AU/VST plugin after more than a year getting people a bit frustrated. Quite puzzling, I must say.

Anyway, the newer price/quality balance got me, so I bought it.

Part 2: Something to add to the story...

I am a IT/software developer and as side profession I work with artists and am an artist my self (mostly working with audiovisuals). I am an Ableton Live, and in particular, Max for Live firm believer.

And I already developed several suites for Max for Live. After getting the Venom I had a look to the standalone Vyzex editor, which is by the way a good piece of software on its own right. I decoded the MIDI (CC and SysEX) documentation from M-Audio/Avid - which is pretty good by the way - and started coding in Max/Max for Live. Quickly, I got my prototype up and running and left it (with the synth) for use to artists I work with. Lots of bug have been taken out, features added in and I am finally quite happy with the result.

See for yourself: http://fabriziopoce.com/VenomControl.html

Part 3: About the VenomControl suite for Ableton Live / Max for Live

I am no M-Audio or Psicraft and this is no AU or VST, but Max for Live. If you can live with that (and most of all you own Max for Live), than I suggest you have a look to this new editor/control surface. This editor/control surface focuses on using the synth as a single part instrument (so there is no multi setup, what you still very well can do in Vyzex), fully integrated in Ableton Live as it would be with a AU/VST plugin. The suite supports full synthesis (all synthesis parameters accessible from its GUI, in Live), full clip/envelope automation and also presets handling (recall, store) and also some alternatice editing features for morphing presets. It is also possible to import single patches from the Venom synth (and, through this, from Vyzex banks).

Note: as this is semi-professional work, so there is a little price label on it: just 5 USD (you can buy only via Paypal).

And if you are not sure this works fine, you can still have a taste for free (there is a Lite version free to download with only a Max for Live control surface, no preset handling).

And, buy the way, this is also the opportunity to have a look to all the other tools I produced (see on http://fabriziopoce.com/).

Cheers

Fabrizio/June74

Quote Originally Posted by badseed79
                        View Post

Unfortunately it seems that both M-Audio and Psicraft (who made the Vyzex editor software needed to access the Venom's deeper functionality) are possibly abandoning this great synth to an early grave. Anyone that reads this review should be aware of this and factor that into their potential purchase.

For instance, when the Venom was first launched around 18 months ago, we were promised that we'd have the ability to buy (for a small fee) a more advanced software editor called Vyzor, which would allow (among other features) the ability to edit the midi messages sent by the controllers, and also would act as a VST plugin. Initially they said this software would be ready in 3 months. Needless to say, there has been delay after delay.

At NAMM in January they refreshed their 'coming soon' front page at www.vyzor.com to say that Vyzor is in final testing and should be available in 'around a week'. That was around 20 weeks ago.

There has been no response from the Psicraft reps in their forum, or from M-Audio staff in their Venom subforum for the past 6 to 8 weeks. In this case, I don't think we can apply the old adage 'no news is good news'.

This is really a great shame. One of the primary reasons I bought this synth in the first week of availability was the promise of this more advanced editor, and specifically the ability to work as a plugin within my chosen DAW. I'm still waiting over 15 months later.

Comment

• Update (sort of): I don't have a firm word yet on whether Venom will continue to be produced, but I get the sense that it will be. The reason why is I did three video tutorials for Avid on the Venom before the sale, and after the sale, I was asked by a representative of inMusic to provide copies in order to see if they were still relevant. I would think that if the company was planning on dropping it, they wouldn't have asked to see the videos.

But, I'm not going to twist anyone's arm at inMusic and try to get an answer; it always takes some time for these kinds of changes to shake out. I'm sure that when they know Venom's fate, they'll let me know because they're aware that I'm a fan of the unit.

Comment

View Post

Update (sort of): I don't have a firm word yet on whether Venom will continue to be produced, but I get the sense that it will be. The reason why is I did three video tutorials for Avid on the Venom before the sale, and after the sale, I was asked by a representative of inMusic to provide copies in order to see if they were still relevant. I would think that if the company was planning on dropping it, they wouldn't have asked to see the videos.

But, I'm not going to twist anyone's arm at inMusic and try to get an answer; it always takes some time for these kinds of changes to shake out. I'm sure that when they know Venom's fate, they'll let me know because they're aware that I'm a fan of the unit.

Thanks Anderton! I just purchased this synth a few days ago after noticing how much it dropped in price. I also watched several reviews on youtube as well. I guess I should have did a little more diligence and read some of the forums prior to purchasing and I would have quickly realized that this synth has given more than a few people some major issues. It has frozen twice on me since I owned it but I am willing to work with the product for a little while to see if I can work around some of the issues because I really like the different sound this synth generates and I do like the software as well.

I have many, well known and well respected synths and have been working with all types of gear for at least 30 years now. I am also a computer programmer so I know how difficult it can be to create software for a piece of gear like this. I have to say that they have done a great job with both the hardware and software. Even if they do not release another version of the editor, it certainly is good enough to get the job done now for me. Also, if the VST does not get released then I will just create one in Reaktor or something like that.

I have one final comment about this synth. If you are expecting something that creates the "usual" sound, than this may not be the synth for you. Also, if you are not in to spending time to create your own sounds, again, this may not be the synth for you. IMHO, if you are not willing to spend the time to really get to know this thing and if you are not willing to work around some of the minor bugs (and they are minor), then you may just want to look at something else.

I hope this helps others who are researching this synth and I also hope that M-Audio continues to release updates for it. I truly believe they have a great product on their hands here from both a hardware and software perspective. It's up to them to bring it forward to its next generation.

I will most likely keep this product as it has the ability to create something different from the rest which is what I am looking for.

Comment

• Wow this thread seems to be actually alive about the Venom. I was starting to think the thing was really lethal!

I just got here, but a simple question first before I start digging through the 9 pages of thread.

And I get the impression that Vyzex is RIP?

I guess I'll have to make a control map in Cubase.

----

Read it all. Venom does seem lethal. That's a shame. I personally hate to miss on the VST capability. For me the damage is not big, missing that support. Needed a midi controller, and always thought the sounds were a bonus and FX inside the Venom I could use to make distorted noises In time I guess I will only need to make sure I can run the software on a seperate laptop when we migrate to Windows 8, 9 10 etc.

Comment

• I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but my sources at InMusic say it's highly doubtful any additional development will occur with Venom.

Prior to M-Audio's sale, they were going to put in one last effort to make Venom happen, which is why I sounded hopeful in previous posts. They commissioned me to put together three videos about using Venom with Pro Tools SE, which was a bundle they were going to roll out, and they assured me that their intentions were to revive Venom. Apparently after the initial rush of sales, it didn't have "legs."

Then the sale happened. We now get into speculation, but I think InMusic probably wanted to spend their resources moving forward rather than trying to revive legacy products.

I should also put in a good word here for Tony at Psicraft. He did a lot of additional work on the editor, but then from what I understand the Venom firmware was changed in anticipation of this bundle that never happened, which invalidated a lot of his work. He would have basically needed to start over, with no compensation, for a product that wasn't going to be supported. Tony's a nice guy, but like the rest of us, he has to put food on the table. It was not his obligation to support Venom, even though he tried to.

It's sad, really. I thought it was a great instrument, and now I'm hoping it doesn't blow up.

But...if I see any selling for cheap, I'll buy another one. Then I can sell it for ten times the price in ten years when it becomes a much-sought-after collector's item.

Comment

Working...
                                X