Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings to all -

I have a question about employing the four-cable method with the Tonelab LE method. If I follow the hook-up instructions set forth earlier in this thread, will this place the tonelab's Pedal efx BEFORE my amp's preamp, and then the Modulation, Delay, and Reverb efx in my amp's effects loop (i.e., after the preamp)?

Or, is the Boss GT-8/GT-10 the only unit that will allow this?

The reason I ask is that I would like to take advantage of some of the modeled dirt pedals, yet still be able to use my amp's preamp (e.g., use the tubescreamer model as a boost to my amp's driven preamp).

Thanks...
    Good transactions with: miggy01, DonaldDemon, Virex, Buildsem, MCon, Puddlegum, adamsa, gherb, spacecaptain21, Farbulous, aldo247, flummox, Ron Jambo/infragreen, aywilson

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Nuno_F
      View Post

Well I bought one a few weeks ago and after playing around with it, and recording some stuff I must say I am very pleased.

I was looking for better clean tone, and the tonelab LE with my new Highway one Telecaster is delivering the best clean tones I ever managed to get in my home studio. Funky liquid wah lines, very nice reggae type chords, and even very warm jazz sounds are all easily achievable with some tweaking.

Nuno,

Would you mind writing some of the settings to theese clean tones, plz (amp + settings). I hava a Strat and I find it a bit difficult to make a real clean sound. Thanks

Comment

• I'm looking for an original gig bag for the Vox Tonelab SE. Does anyone have one for sale?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jakoblose
          View Post

I've had the TLLE for three months and I have some issues with it:

- Last but most important is the two Fender amps, Black 2x12 and Tweed 1x12. I can only turn the Gain till two or maybe three before it begins to distort/overdrive. CAN THAT BE TRUE?? I thought these two amp were famous for their clean sound almost all the way up. I have the VR Gain at max as is recommended for Vintage amps in the manual.

Thanks a lot for a great thread - I hope someone can help me with this - or at least tell me if it's normal.

Thanks in advance.

Jakob

+1. Someone please chime in about this please. There has to be a way to keep this model clean without the digital noise. Maybe there is a glitch in some of the units?
          "Take the time to pull the weeds choking flowers in your life." J.Cantrell

Comment

• Hello all.

I have a quick question - the Tonelab SE had a great preset called (something like) "Tele Bender." It basically set the expression pedal up to bend the signal down a tone (or semi tone I forget).

Can anyone describe how to set up a patch on the LE that does this?

Cheers!

Comment

• Great review John. It's the best review ( most detailed and factual ) I've seen and being a long time Tonelab SE user, I've prolly read them all. I too, along with many others, wonder why Vox allows only single pedals as opposed to being able to chain several. My guess is it would require a redesign of the entire circuit. Regardless the Tonelab remains an extremely valid device for live and recording. I own a Marshall JCM 900/4100 and while the Marshall sounds really good with my Strat, the Tonelab actually sounds better, cleaner, heavier, more articulate and with efffects, models and a tuner all at your feet the JCM 900 just can't compete. As a result the 4100 remains in my studio and the Tonelab does the gig. Anyway thanks for the great review.
              Vox Tonelab SE
              Marshall EL84 20/20
              Marshall 1936, Marshall 1982
              Marshall JCM 900 4100
              6 Tokai Strats, 3 Floyd Rose Strats, Epi Les Paul Classic

Comment

• Thanks Jon for starting this, it's very informative.

I am in the market for a Tonelab LE to replace my old POD 2.0. I've run out of patches (only has 36) and am starting to struggle with new songs. I've used the POD for a few years gigging with an FB4 and "home made" bank up/bank down MIDI controller. This is plugged into the effects return on my Peavey Ultra 112 and provides a pretty decent sound - not perfect but fine in the band mix. The Tonelab LE fits my requirements very well and I have done extensive research on this and alternatives.

Anyway that's the back ground, but I wanted to answer a couple of questions raised earlier, namely (1) the Wah conundrum and (2) the "custom" power supply question.

1) The Wah does appear to be only possible in front of the amp models, but according to the manual the Wah can be placed before or after the amp models using the Order control (Page 35 of the manual). This gives much more flexibility , though you can't use the Fuzz too. I'm not sure that option came out in the earlier discussions. This before/after amp model also applies to the Phaser on the Pedal Effect section.

2) The power supply is custom but you couldn't use a standard 9V wall wart anyway. Standard warts are typically 9V dc. The ToneLab LE one is 9V ac. This is also true of the Line6 power supplies, so they are also "custom" - don't be fooled by the standard dc power plug Line6 use! The 9V ac is used to make the required internal power supplies and valve (tube) HT voltage using a thing called a charge pump. If dc were used then dc to dc converters would be required which tend to be noisy and affect analogue audio quality. If an IEC mains input were fitted this would hike the price and probably use switched mode power supplies - not good for the analogue world! Since the Tonelab LE PSU is just a transformer there is nothing to go wrong - it's just a lump of iron and copper! So just remember to pick it up at the end of the gig!

Hopefully this will be of interest or use to some. If some of these have been addressed earlier - oops, sorry but I haven't read every entry...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DrFrog
                  View Post

1) The Wah does appear to be only possible in front of the amp models, but according to the manual the Wah can be placed before or after the amp models using the Order control (Page 35 of the manual). I'm not sure that option came out in the earlier discussions. This before/after amp model also applies to the Phaser on the Pedal Effect section.

This was covered previously. To clarify: you can't have the MODELED effect after the amp models, but you can get the generic wah and phase (etc.) effects produced by the unit's usual modulation parameters. The special custom-modeled effects are fixed in their up-front positions. To the people who criticized the unit for this, I advised to choose the best of the two modeled effects that are in conflict as the one to use up front, and have the other effect be generated by the modulation parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFrog
                  View Post

2) The power supply is custom but you couldn't use a standard 9V wall wart anyway. Standard warts are typically 9V dc. The ToneLab LE one is 9V ac.

This was also covered, but it bears repeating. DC is not the same thing as AC, even when the plugs match up!
                  Jon Chappell
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
                  Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

• Jon, thanks for the prompt response.

The version of the manual that I have downloaded clearly states the the Wah and Phaser in the pedal effects can be placed before or after the amp model using the order control [6]. Below is the extract from the manual. Unless it doesn't really allow this and is a mistake in the manual or perhaps a sneaky update(!) it would appear to be possible. I can't say from experience as I am not in possession of one yet!

3. VOX WAH

This effect is modeled on two legendary VOX

wah pedals; the V847 and the V848 Clyde

McCoy model. Thanks to their unique “throaty”

tone, these are the only wah pedals many pro-

fessionals will consider stepping on. When used

wisely, this pedal can either make your guitar cry

like a baby or howl like a man possessed!

[2] "CLOSE"........................................... ..1.0...10.0

Adjusts the tone when the wah pedal is closed.

[3] "OPEN"............................................ ...1.0...10.0

Adjusts the tone when the wah pedal is open.

[4] "MANUAL" ..........................................1.0...10 .0

* Adjusts the openness (position) of the wah.

[5] "TYPE"............................................ .....847, 848

Selects either V847 or V848 Clyde McCoy

model as the wah type

[6] "ORDER" ...................... PrE(PRE), PoS(POST)

Selects the connection order. PRE/POST con-

nects the wah before/after the Amp Model.

I'd be very interested if you can confirm whether or not the manual is correct.

Thanks again...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by teetop
                      View Post

Greetings to all -

I have a question about employing the four-cable method with the Tonelab LE method. If I follow the hook-up instructions set forth earlier in this thread, will this place the tonelab's Pedal efx BEFORE my amp's preamp, and then the Modulation, Delay, and Reverb efx in my amp's effects loop (i.e., after the preamp)?

Or, is the Boss GT-8/GT-10 the only unit that will allow this?

The reason I ask is that I would like to take advantage of some of the modeled dirt pedals, yet still be able to use my amp's preamp (e.g., use the tubescreamer model as a boost to my amp's driven preamp).

Thanks...

Great question that I would also like the answer too.
                      "Take the time to pull the weeds choking flowers in your life." J.Cantrell

Comment

• I have a question: I want to run this into an amp, but without any coloration from the amp itself. For example, if i run it into a Fender Twin, it makes the tone sound like the amp is the love child of whatever i have on the preamp with a Fender Twin. I was thinking of something like the Atomic Amps Reactor, but i want something more to the effect of 2x12 with more watts (60-100 w)

does anybody know of anything good?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sorensen
                          View Post

I have a question: I want to run this into an amp, but without any coloration from the amp itself. For example, if i run it into a Fender Twin, it makes the tone sound like the amp is the love child of whatever i have on the preamp with a Fender Twin. I was thinking of something like the Atomic Amps Reactor, but i want something more to the effect of 2x12 with more watts (60-100 w)

Atomic also makes a 50w 2 x 12...

Comment

• Heres a new clip of the tonelab. If your into Van Halen type sounds this sounds pretty damn good. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6534742

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sorensen
                              View Post

I have a question: I want to run this into an amp, but without any coloration from the amp itself. For example, if i run it into a Fender Twin, it makes the tone sound like the amp is the love child of whatever i have on the preamp with a Fender Twin. I was thinking of something like the Atomic Amps Reactor, but i want something more to the effect of 2x12 with more watts (60-100 w)

I run my TLLE into the effects return of my Raven 60 watt. This bypasses the EQ and preamp of the amp. I mention Raven in particular because they are inexpensive and sound good to my ears. The 60 watt is only $200.00. They also make a 100 watt 2x12 for $300.00. If you have a little more to spend you can also check out the Tech 21 Power engines. They are amp cabs with power amps. Similar to Atomic Amps but at 60watts.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DrFrog
                                View Post

Jon, thanks for the prompt response.

The version of the manual that I have downloaded clearly states the the Wah and Phaser in the pedal effects can be placed before or after the amp model using the order control [6]. Below is the extract from the manual. Unless it doesn't really allow this and is a mistake in the manual or perhaps a sneaky update(!) it would appear to be possible. I can't say from experience as I am not in possession of one yet!

3. VOX WAH

This effect is modeled on two legendary VOX

wah pedals; the V847 and the V848 Clyde

McCoy model. Thanks to their unique “throaty”

tone, these are the only wah pedals many pro-

fessionals will consider stepping on. When used

wisely, this pedal can either make your guitar cry

like a baby or howl like a man possessed!

[2] "CLOSE"........................................... ..1.0...10.0

Adjusts the tone when the wah pedal is closed.

[3] "OPEN"............................................ ...1.0...10.0

Adjusts the tone when the wah pedal is open.

[4] "MANUAL" ..........................................1.0...10 .0

* Adjusts the openness (position) of the wah.

[5] "TYPE"............................................ .....847, 848

Selects either V847 or V848 Clyde McCoy

model as the wah type

[6] "ORDER" ...................... PrE(PRE), PoS(POST)

Selects the connection order. PRE/POST con-

nects the wah before/after the Amp Model.

I'd be very interested if you can confirm whether or not the manual is correct.

Thanks again...

This is true. I recently got a TLLE and experimented with the positioning of those 2 effects.

Comment

Working...
                                X