No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Mattsdf
    View Post

Hey Jon, another question - I just bought a USB/MIDI interface. So now that i have it, I can record stuff directly from my TL:LE to my computer (i think..).

Mattsdf,

I'm not an expert on Midi by any means, but I'm fairly certain it cannot be used for recording audio. When I've used midi, it's been to control a drum machine and keyboards from a computer - the audio output came from the instruments (ok, a drum machine isn't really an instrument, but whatever). I also used midi to control the timing of the drum machine from a recorder and fed the audio back into the recorder (a br-8, fwiw).

What you would probably need is something converts audio into a USB output. I know a guy who records concerts like that, using a nice a condenser mic into the mic->usb converter, into a laptop. I think you would substitute the output of the tonelab for the mic.

If you have a soundcard with a line-in, you could probably take the output of the TL into the line-in of your soundcard.

Take that advice with a grain of salt though and do more research, I've never done the last two things I mentioned so I don't know how accurate that information is.
    --
    Wagdog
    Check out Lunar Commander on:
    iTunes App Store
    Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
    iTunes App Store
    Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
    - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

• hmmmm dammit... that really sucks, cause the only reason why i bought the thing was to record, so, i may have to return it.....

Comment

• Yeah, the midi on the LE is programming/control, not audio. You need it to use the editing software, I think, so it's worth having.

For recording, you'd use the analog or optical outputs. With analog, you'd need some kind of USB interface...I use an M-Audio MobilePre.

Comment

• Except that you don't actually need it for editing, you can edit the sounds with the LE unit itself, so therefore, its definitely not worth pay 70$ for.... but I guess I'm gonna have to return this and do more research, but thanks anyways

Comment

View Post

Except that you don't actually need it for editing

I think you need the software to back up your patches to the PC, and to upload patches that you might download - unless there's another way to do it. I think the software might make it easier to organize patches, then upload them.

Personally, I'm sort of questioning the logic of connecting the TL to a PC for uploading and downloading a single patch - I probably wouldn't be bothered. Like you said, if you're going to edit a sound, you're going to do it with a guitar in hand and the TL plugged into an amp... at least that's how I would do it anyway.
            --
            Wagdog
            Check out Lunar Commander on:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

View Post

Except that you don't actually need it for editing, you can edit the sounds with the LE unit itself, so therefore, its definitely not worth pay 70$ for.... but I guess I'm gonna have to return this and do more research, but thanks anyways

Yeah, to many it wouldn't be worth that money. I was going to try the M-Audio one for about half that, the laptop is right in the music room anyway.

Comment

• Hi to all,

I've read most of this post, but no mention of one thing that is VERY important to me.

What is the lag time when switching presets?

The one big problem I've had in the past with multifx units were drop outs when changing presets/sounds. I actually paid a lot for an Intellifex when they first came out, just to have seemless effect changes. (The unit is still used, but it might be time to pickup up an LE).

Comment

• I've owned both the TLLE and ZOOM G9 . Zoom switches faster . there is small difference between the two. The ZOOM G9 was instant nice and smooth as with the TLLE i've noticed a small time lag .
                  ---------------------------------------------------

Fender Deluxe Strat
                  Fender Telecaster
                  Gibson LP Goldtop P90
                  Schecter Tempest Custom
                  Morley Tremonti Wah
                  TC Polytune
                  Digitech GSP 1101 + GC2
                  Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 / G Flex 212

MUSIC: The last thing to leave your soul before you die

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
                    View Post

There's only one selection that will do this, and it's in the Modulation section, not the Delay section. The ToneLab LE confusingly names two effects "Mod Delay," but they're in different blocks and have different features. The one you seek (Dry-only Left, Effect-only Right) is in the Mod block, and its delay-time parameter isn't as specific (it goes from 1.0 to 10.0) as the one in the Delay block (which gives the read-out in ms, from 3-2,000).

Jon (or anyone), a further question on the "Modulation" mod delay. Based on the editing software, it seems that it provides 1400ms of delay divisible by the "time" control into 14ms increments (goes from 1,1.1,1.2...10). Is this delay in series or parallel with the "DELAY" block? The manual says it can be used as a "sub delay" for that section, but those sections can also be reversed.

Trying to find a way to have two delays in parallel. Any combination that'd give me that?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by lenster
                      View Post

I've owned both the TLLE and ZOOM G9 . Zoom switches faster . there is small difference between the two. The ZOOM G9 was instant nice and smooth as with the TLLE i've noticed a small time lag .

Which was your preference - the Tonelab LE or the Zoom G9?

Comment

• Hi everyone:

Just ordered the ToneLab LE. I am psyched, and it should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. However, I am not a newbie when it comes to the Vox Valvetronix line.

I am a proud owner of the first years run of the AD120VTH (120 Watt Head). Been Playing it non-stop since I first got it, without one single problem or hiccup. A friggin' great amp...and hangs easily with my all tube amps.

I wanted the flexibility of getting the great Valvetronix tone, direct thru a FRFR active PA (actually, for my bedroom, believe it or not). I have a dedicated guitar room with my main gear on the second floor of my house.

However, often I like to do a little "quiet" jammin' in the bedroom. I have the Yamaha MSR100, which has a nice form factor and small footprint. When I am not using the ToneLab LE, I can easily slide it / store it under my bed. And of course, for completely quiet playing, there is always the Headphones output.

I have read the LE Manual, already. I would like to double check with some of you ToneLab LE experts. I plan on running the ToneLab LE direct into the Yamaha MSR100, with the ToneLab output set for Line 1. I would leave the speaker simulations ON. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Deuterium

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Lester
                          View Post

Which was your preference - the Tonelab LE or the Zoom G9?

I lean towards the TLLE. Not as many bells and whistles and i'm not really into playing metal (although i like listening to everything) , The TLLE is easier to dial in tones sounds ( to my ears ) better direct to PA. 4 the time i had the G9 i thought it was an excellent piece of equipment just used to frustrate me at times . The TLLE is much simpler yet more enjoyable to work with. More of your classic rock tones and does low gain mnuch much better.

Hope this helps.

Fender Deluxe Strat
                          Fender Telecaster
                          Gibson LP Goldtop P90
                          Schecter Tempest Custom
                          Morley Tremonti Wah
                          TC Polytune
                          Digitech GSP 1101 + GC2

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by lenster
                            View Post

I lean towards the TLLE. Not as many bells and whistles and i'm not really into playing metal (although i like listening to everything) , The TLLE is easier to dial in tones sounds ( to my ears ) better direct to PA. 4 the time i had the G9 i thought it was an excellent piece of equipment just used to frustrate me at times . The TLLE is much simpler yet more enjoyable to work with. More of your classic rock tones and does low gain mnuch much better.

Hope this helps.

How about running either of these through a clean channel of a tube amp? How is the tone?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Lester
                              View Post

How about running either of these through a clean channel of a tube amp? How is the tone?

I used to own a Peavey Classic 50 212 and tried the G9 in front. Didn't sound too bad but sounded much better through the effects return bypassing the c50's preamp , that way your not colouring two preamps. Since that set up i'm now using a Laney VH100r . with pedals . I have tried running the TLLE in 4CM using effects only with an EQ in front of that chain with success.

THese are my experiences and tones to each individual are subjective .

FWIW the TLLE is an excellent tool none the less and i am happy with my purchase. Good luck .

Fender Deluxe Strat
                              Fender Telecaster
                              Gibson LP Goldtop P90
                              Schecter Tempest Custom
                              Morley Tremonti Wah
                              TC Polytune
                              Digitech GSP 1101 + GC2

Comment

• Hoping someone can reply and advise on my previous post's question:

I have read the LE Manual, already. I would like to double check with some of you ToneLab LE experts. I plan on running the ToneLab LE direct into the Yamaha MSR100, with the ToneLab output set for Line 1. I would leave the speaker simulations ON. Is this correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X