No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by wagdog
    View Post

It looks like some of the online retailers have them in stock now (zzounds does anyway) ... let's hope they start appearing in the retail stores soon as well.

MF now says 6/28, so maybe the paint is finally dry on our nice new LE's.

Comment

• OK... I've got one. Against my usual try-before-buy policy, I ordered one from zzounds and it showed up the next day (w/free ground shipping, btw). Zzounds lets you return stuff, and they pay return postage, so that's about as good as try before buy as I'm going to get since I live in the boondocks.

First impressions: it's built like a chinese tank. That means, it's made in china, and it feels like it's built well, but it probably isn't. Mine quickly developed a floppy expression pedal to the point that the pedal now doesn't stay put, it just falls freely forward. I'll be calling zzounds for a replacement tomorrow. I also feel that the switch pots are cheap and don't feel "snappy" when turned, they sort of fall into the indentation. I suspect that parts like the pots and jacks are basic chinese electronic crap. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I think we all know what I mean when I say that.

After they send a replacement, I do plan on keeping it (provided the next ones pedal lasts more then a few hours). The effects sound fantastic and after a few hours playing around with it and reading the manual I was able to understand and adjust most of the effects to my liking. I found the distortion pedal models were excellent. The chorus/flanger/phaser effects were very nice and the delay effects are well done. I also found that once you get used to the "interface", it's very easy to control. Tonewise, I'm really impressed with the sounds of the effects, very nice.

As far as amp models go, they are very good. Do they sound like the amps they're modeling? I really can't say, but they do sound good. Since vox made the distortion pedals and wah on the same bank, you can't use them at the same time (wow - BAD decision, did a real guitar player actually design that?), but you can crank up one of the amp models and use that as the "distortion" pedal along with wah (that's my plan anyway).

FWIW, my typical setup is a custom tele through a blues jr. For the stereo effects I also plugged into a marshall combo. The chorus sounded awesome through both amps.

Curious if anyone else has found "floppy" pedal issues with this unit.
      --
      Wagdog
      Check out Lunar Commander on:
      iTunes App Store
      Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
      iTunes App Store
      Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
      - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoni
        View Post

I read the whole thread I am still confused.

Does the Tonelab LE sound good through a clean guitar amp?

My current rig is a VOX AC30CC or a Marshall BluesBreaker running clean with this effects chain - Boss TU-2 Tuner, Boss Metal Zone, Fulltone OCD, Danelectro Fab Chorus and a Boss DD-6 Delay.

I find I want to buy a bunch of dirt boxes - Can the Tonelab LE pacify this?

I can answer your first question more than the second. Yes. I play through a clean guitar amp (a Carr Rambler) through a ToneLab SE, its predecessor, all the time, and it sounds good. I would imagine that the ToneLab LE would also be fine.

The ToneLab SE has a bunch of different distortion. You can do distortion in numerous ways, including using its pedal emulations or amp simulations.

~~~~~~~~

I won't be trading in my SE for the LE. The missing second pedal in the LE is not a good thing for me. I like having a volume pedal AND a wah pedal there at the same time. That was how my guitar rig was set up before I got the SE. In fact, part of the allure of the SE was the two pedals (in addition to the decent sounding simulations/effects). While I am perfectly aware that I can set up a volume pedal in the effects loop (or after the chain), I'm then looking at hooking up a second thing and effectively making the stuff I carry just about as bulky...plus having to hook it up. No. Not good. Boooooooo!!!!!
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wagdog
          View Post

... Mine quickly developed a floppy expression pedal to the point that the pedal now doesn't stay put, it just falls freely forward. I'll be calling zzounds for a replacement tomorrow. I also feel that the switch pots are cheap and don't feel "snappy" when turned, they sort of fall into the indentation.

After they send a replacement, I do plan on keeping it (provided the next ones pedal lasts more then a few hours). The effects sound fantastic and after a few hours playing around with it and reading the manual I was able to understand and adjust most of the effects to my liking. I found the distortion pedal models were excellent. The chorus/flanger/phaser effects were very nice and the delay effects are well done. I also found that once you get used to the "interface", it's very easy to control. Tonewise, I'm really impressed with the sounds of the effects, very nice. ... Curious if anyone else has found "floppy" pedal issues with this unit.

Wagdog:

Good assessment here. I think the issue with the "floppy pedal" is an anomaly with your unit. I've not heard of this before. And it seems that when Vox removed a dedicated wah pedal (to reduce the footprint of the SE from two pedals to one for the LE), they removed a basic guitar-player paradigm: separate wah and distortion banks. People still want to see a modeled distortion AND a dedicated wah (even though, as you point out, you would choose the modeled wah and then derive your distortion through the amp/cab modeling and the 12AU7 Valve Reactor circuitry).

It's a hard concept to promote when an "update" is actually cheaper and scaled-down from its predecessor. People will just think the new one is "better in every way," and that isn't the case when the LE is compared with the SE. But the LE does have its advantages, not the least of which is lower price, reduced size, and upgraded processors. Many products in the consumer electronics field (like digital cameras) follow this model (smaller, cheaper, reduced feature set but upgraded quality) without adverse reaction, and perhaps Vox was hoping to do the same. I think they're predicting that a distortion pedal is so personal that people would simply patch their favorite (Fulltone, Keely modded, Tube Screamer, Mad Professor, etc.) into the Insert point, and use the modeled wah.

But you're right about the way the chicken-head selectors feel. It was definitely a design decision to go with these controllers that "don't feel 'snappy' when turned, they sort of fall into the indentation," as you accurately describe them.

It seems like you're pleased with the unit overall. Keep us posted!
          Jon Chappell
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
          Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

View Post

Yes, you would simply patch them in (you can use more than one, if you like) through the Insert point, which is at the front of the chain, right where you'd run a distortion box anyway:

Guitar --> ToneLab --> [Insert: MetalZone>OCD>TS9>CryBaby>etc.] --> TL modeled pedal --> TL amp/cab sim --> TL vol. ped. --> TL mod fx --> TL delay fx --> TL reverb fx --> AC30/Bluesbreaker

_
            Jon Chappell
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
            Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
              View Post

Wagdog:

Good assessment here. I think the issue with the "floppy pedal" is an anomaly with your unit. I've not heard of this before. And it seems that when Vox removed a dedicated wah pedal (to reduce the footprint of the SE from two pedals to one for the LE), they removed a basic guitar-player paradigm: separate wah and distortion banks. People still want to see a modeled distortion AND a dedicated wah (even though, as you point out, you would choose the modeled wah and then derive your distortion through the amp/cab modeling and the 12AU7 Valve Reactor circuitry).

It seems like you're pleased with the unit overall. Keep us posted!

Hi Jon,

One of the reasons I bought this pedal was because I didn't want to haul around any more stompboxes to gigs. Having an all-in-one unit is very, very appealing. Having played around with the LE yesterday, I'm certain I can make do with using a distorted amp model assigned to the Control switch when I need a dedicated Wah.

I do own a tubescreamer and have to say that the TL model of it is very good.

What I'm really appreciating in this unit is the Modulation effects and Delay effects - they are really well done, especially in stereo.

I'm still playing around with the different Pedal effects - sort of like a kid in a candy store with all those possibilities!

So yes, overall I'm very pleased with the sound quality of the LE and variety of effects possible - awesome.

Regarding the floppy pedal: I called ZZounds yesterday for a replacement. Unfortunately they are sold out 'til the end of July. I have a gig friday, two next week and one the week after - and I want to use the LE. So I took it apart and fixed the floppy pedal myself. There are two allen bolts holding the rocker in place underneath the pedal - mine were completely loose. After tightening, the pedal works fine. I'm going to give a workout today at practice and hopefully it will stay together.

I do stand by my "chinese tank" comment though; I wish the rush to cheap products didn't preclude using quality components. The outside of this product looks rugged, but the pots make it feel like it's soft and squishy inside. I would gladly pay another $100 for more solid hardware.
              --
              Wagdog
              iTunes App Store
              Google Play

iTunes App Store
              Google Play

- Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
                View Post

Of course, if you tap in exactly a dotted-8th rhythm (once) using the Tap Tempo feature mapped to the Delay Time, you can do it this way.

But I suspect you're asking if the unit will perform the math for you, and the answer is yes, and for many different divisions besides dotted-8ths. So you'd tap in quarter notes (much easier to perform precisely, especially at bright tempos), and tell the Tap Tempo to interpret that as a "factor" of your tap -- in this case, a 3/4 division (which is a dotted-8th). So the news is good for the dotted-8th freaks among us.

Here's the relevant text from p. 49 of the manual (which lists 3/4 -- dotted-8th, if you tap quarter notes -- among the choices):

FACTOR VALUE KNOB 5 SETTING

If the MODULATION effect’s SPEED parameter or the DELAY effect’s TIME parameter are assigned to a control switch, you can set the MODULATION effect’s LFO SPEED or the DELAY effect’s DELAY TIME by the interval at which you press the control switch twice. When you do so, the interval at which you actually press the pedal will be applied to the parameter at a “factor” (i.e., multiple) of 1/6, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1, 4/3, 3/2, 2, 3, or 4, according to the setting of the FACTOR parameter (value knob 5).

BTW, I am well versed in the dotted-8th delay technique. Check out my flatpicked rendition of this well-known "circus music" tune, "El Cumbanchero": The first section is flatpicked normally. The second pass is executed entirely with a dotted-eighth setting on the delay. The picked notes here are actually slower, and therefore more easily played, than those in the previous section.

"El Cumbanchero" with dotted-8th delay

Shameless plug dept.: The tab for this arrangement (including an explanation on how to convert tempo in bpm to delay time in ms) is in my book (which includes a CD) "Great Country Riffs for Guitar Vol. II" (Hal Leonard Publishing).

Hope this helps.

How can we use the tap tempo

Comment

View Post

I read the whole thread I am still confused.

Does the Tonelab LE sound good through a clean guitar amp?

My current rig is a VOX AC30CC or a Marshall BluesBreaker running clean with this effects chain - Boss TU-2 Tuner, Boss Metal Zone, Fulltone OCD, Danelectro Fab Chorus and a Boss DD-6 Delay.

Clarification:

What I mean or was thinking I would just run the ToneLab LE instead of the the listed pedals.

I want to add a MI Audio Crunch Box, Zvex Box of Rocks, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde but if I can get these types of distrotions or tones out of a ToneLab LE I would perfer to buy it.

Marshall, Vox, and Fender Tones, oh yeah.

Self Diagnosed - I have Short Attention Tone Span (SATS)
                  "If wishes were horses then dreamers would ride"
                  Jon Butcher

Guitars; Gibson CS Les Paul 58' RI', Gibson CS Les Paul 57' RI, MIJ Fender Stratocaster 62' RI, ESP - LTD400NT, Tacoma DM9

Amps; Marshall Bluesbreaker RI - 30 Watt Version, Vox ACC30C1, Fender G-Dec, Peavey Bravo 112, Crate Stealth 50 Combo

Pedals; Fulltone OCD, Subdecay F-Bomb (Fuzz), BBE Freq Boost, Boss TU-2, DD-6, MT-2, RV-5, ProCo Rat II, Danelectro FAB Chours

Comment

View Post

Clarification:

I want to add a MI Audio Crunch Box, Zvex Box of Rocks, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde but if I can get these types of distrotions or tones out of a ToneLab LE I would perfer to buy it.

Dragonsoni,

I have no idea what those boxes sound like as I've only used a tubescreamer for distortion before getting the TL.

What I can tell you is that you can get a WIDE variety of distortion effects from the TL, at least I've been successful in doing so, so far. In the pedal department there is a tubescreamer model and a rat model and some others I'm not familiar with (that do sound pretty good, except I really don't like the "metal" model). I have been finding though that by using the amp/cabinet models you can get a great array of distortion effects, from creamy dark sustain to ringing ear piercing screech and all points in-between.

I've learned to hook up the amp/cabinet model to the "control" switch, so it's like having another pedal to turn on and off.
                    --
                    Wagdog
                    iTunes App Store
                    Google Play

iTunes App Store
                    Google Play

- Joe Walsh

Comment

• Is there a users group of forum for users of the TLLE? I'd love to find a world of tips and tricks.

Comment

• i hust bought the Tonelab Le and have a question about the 5 output settings. I use it with a Vox AC30. Is it possible to use 2 different output settings, so I can use the both inpits of the Vox one at the time. Or does anyone knows an other solution to use the both inputs of the ac30 without changing a cable. Thnx Loek from the Netherlands.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by WaveMagnet
                          View Post

Is there a users group of forum for users of the TLLE? I'd love to find a world of tips and tricks.

I would like a forum as well, so I've just created one:

http://tonelable.com/

There is no content there at the moment... this is an open invitation to all to go forth and add your wisdom!

The main page looks bad at the moment, give it time. The forum is operational though.

It may take a day or two for the name to propagate through the DNS, so if it doesn't work, try it in a day or two.

Wag
                          --
                          Wagdog
                          iTunes App Store
                          Google Play

iTunes App Store
                          Google Play

- Joe Walsh

Comment

• I registered...yeah, baby!

Comment

• Right on Wagdog. I'm in.

Comment

• Hey Jon, another question - I just bought a USB/MIDI interface. So now that i have it, I can record stuff directly from my TL:LE to my computer (i think..). However, I cant figure out how! Could you tell me how? Maybe you already answered this question, but i cant find it! Do I have to download other recording software? Or can I do it on the ToneLab LE Sound Editor?

Comment

Working...
                                X