Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another splitter solution is the Galaxy Audio JIB/S, where you wouldn't need adapters for the output (as it has 1/4" jacks). Plus the extra outs could direct-feed a recording device or a spare P.A. input. It costs about $30.

Jon Chappell
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
    Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
      View Post

Another splitter solution is the Galaxy Audio JIB/S, where you wouldn't need adapters for the output (as it has 1/4" jacks). Plus the extra outs could direct-feed a recording device or a spare P.A. input. It costs about $30.

Perfect. Thank you!

Comment

• I am new in the thread, so hello everybody.

I bought a home studio 3 months ago and I am trying to get reasonable recording sounds. I have an Imac and a TC 24D and I like clean sounds, with my flying V plugged in directly in the soundcard. I have Guitar Rig and Amplitube for driven or distorted sounds, but I don´t like it at all. Too artificial, digital world, toy sounds. So I wanted an amp modeler and I am a valves fan. When I saw the Vox on internet I thought it could be suited for me. So my question is: is it worth to buy this compared to the software? I know the POD doens´t worth it, but I have read the TL is much better.

I am concerned that recording a good amp at the right place is the only way, but I cannot do that at home. In my opinion neither software nor POD can be used to reach even a non proffesional sound, so, can the Tonelab do it?

Thanks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Harry McBrowny
          View Post

I am new in the thread, so hello everybody.

I bought a home studio 3 months ago and I am trying to get reasonable recording sounds. I have an Imac and a TC 24D and I like clean sounds, with my flying V plugged in directly in the soundcard. I have Guitar Rig and Amplitube for driven or distorted sounds, but I don´t like it at all. Too artificial, digital world, toy sounds. So I wanted an amp modeler and I am a valves fan. When I saw the Vox on internet I thought it could be suited for me. So my question is: is it worth to buy this compared to the software? I know the POD doens´t worth it, but I have read the TL is much better.

I am concerned that recording a good amp at the right place is the only way, but I cannot do that at home. In my opinion neither software nor POD can be used to reach even a non proffesional sound, so, can the Tonelab do it?

Thanks.

With that in mind... can you record a dry guitar sound into your computer daw through TOnlab LE... then go back OUTof your computer... back INTO the Tonelab LE and use it like a VST with automation included?

If not... can you at least be able to tweak your tone and effects for the final mix and not PRINT the effect when you are cutting your track?

If so... is there a way to also HEAR the guitar tone but CUT it dry?

SEA

Comment

• Sea, thanks for your reply, but that is not what I was asking. I ask if Tonelab is a really great improvement compared to Guitar Rig or Amplitube for recording. I know POD is not, but I have read Tonelab could be. So my question is about the Tonelab recorded quality sound, mainly overdriven sounds.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
              View Post

This is an interesting question and was a bit of a puzzle. My immediate response was, "Just use the four-cable method." The problem is, you use up all your jacks this way with the TL and the first amp. Nothing is left to feed the second amp. But with a line splitter (such as the one Whirlwind offers, called the "LBS" for Line Balancer Splitter), you can do it (though you'll need to convert the XLR outs to TS, but that's no big deal).

First of all, I assume you run your current setup according to A. If so, then follow the schematic in B.

That's the best way I can figure this. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Would an A/B swith engaged with both A and B on work the same??

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by sea
                View Post

With that in mind... can you record a dry guitar sound into your computer daw through TOnlab LE... then go back OUTof your computer... back INTO the Tonelab LE and use it like a VST with automation included?

If so... is there a way to also HEAR the guitar tone but CUT it dry?

SEA

No. You can't use it as a VST at all. All you have on your PC is an editor. But you can take a dry signal from the Tonelab effects send and record that to the PC, while monitoring the effected signal, and even recording that too.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Nuno_F
                  View Post

No. You can't use it as a VST at all. All you have on your PC is an editor. But you can take a dry signal from the Tonelab effects send and record that to the PC, while monitoring the effected signal, and even recording that too.

Agreed. SEA, you'd simply connect two output signals from the TL to your DAW's interface: the dry one from the TL's Send and the effected one from the Output. You'd assign these to two separate tracks on your DAW and monitor only the effected one (emanating from the TL's Out). And as Nuno_F also pointed out, there's no automation capability here, unless the effects are generated from virtual plug-ins from within the DAW itself (via VST, DirectX, AU, RTAS, etc.).
                  Jon Chappell

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Shinequwa
                    View Post

Would an A/B swith engaged with both A and B on work the same??

Sho' 'nuff! As long as the box is designed to deliver both outputs simultaneously (sometimes called "Y" in an A/B box), without loading down the source. Morley has such a box called the ABY.

Note: Curiously, the "Y" never appears on the box -- either in the product name or as an option. Morley's product-design dept. should talk to the manufacturing dept.!
                    Jon Chappell

Comment

• Hey John,

Great info on this subject. I have been researching the tone lab, line 6 podxt live, and boss modelers for about a month and your review is by far the most comprehensive.

I have decided to go with the tone lab le and would like to know if the epiphone valve jr. or crate palomino V16 tube amps are good matches for the tl le?

Also, I just bought one of your books and really am enjoying it!

Comment

• I have decided to go with the tone lab le and would like to know if the epiphone valve jr. or crate palomino V16 tube amps are good matches for the tl le?

I think they'll impart too much of their own character to allow the models to sound like they should. The VJr in particular (I have the head/cab) has nowhere near the clean headroom needed. Sounds great, but sounds like a Valve Jr.

As always, it might sound "good", but it'll always sound like that particular amp, instead of a variety, which kinda defeats the purpose.

If you really need to use a guitar amp, best bet is to plug into the return of an effects loop, bypassing the coloration of the preamp.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by whitey
                          View Post

I have decided to go with the tone lab le and would like to know if the epiphone valve jr. or crate palomino V16 tube amps are good matches for the tl le?

I think they're a good match because both are quality tube amps. The ToneLab LE after all is a digital processor. Some would argue that a solid-state, full-frequency solution is in order -- like a P.A. cab or a super-clean amp, but I like the idea of tube amps with my guitar, and I dial in my effects to enhance my core sound.
                          Jon Chappell

Comment

• Hey Jon,

I got my TL LE like 2 weeks ago (and I LOVE IT!!!!!) It's beautiful in every single way. And yes, i can get an awesome sounding Metallica sound. But now i have a couple questions, first question - since the processor does run off a tube, I am just assuming that it needs to eventually be replaced. I was wondering both how long until it needs replacing (because its smaller than most tubes) and why isn't it easily accessible? My second question is if i connected it to my computer, like with a MIDI converter to USB, would I end up loosing valuable sound quality? If so, would the second best way to record stuff I have made would be through a hi-quality microphone? Or would that just brings be back to the USB problem again? My third question is, I am using a solid state UK made amp (Laney MXD 120 Twin) and in the manual it says do not put the volume higher than level eight (it can go to 10). When I use the ToneLab LE, the amp is noticeably louder (like a level 2 or 3 would be as loud as level 6 without the TLLE). So my question is, if i were to go to 8, would it damage my amp? And if not, what level would i consider max? Hahaha I have your work cut out for you, eh Jon?

Comment

• Simple question.... Why have there been NO LE's or SE's available anywhere for what seems like forever?? And none appear to be on the horizon.. Is Vox really this incompetent? Having no product on the market for months doesn't appear to be great business strategy..

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mattsdf
                                View Post

I was wondering both how long until it needs replacing (because its smaller than most tubes) and why isn't it easily accessible?

That depends on how much you play it. Lots of amps have only a single 12AX7 or 12AU7, and they last for years. It's true that the tube isn't as easily as accessible as it could be -- or even as its predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsdf
                                View Post

My second question is if i connected it to my computer, like with a MIDI converter to USB, would I end up loosing valuable sound quality? If so, would the second best way to record stuff I have made would be through a hi-quality microphone? Or would that just brings be back to the USB problem again?

There's no sound quality loss when going through USB/MIDI for the simple reason that there's no audio here. You use the digital optical S/PDIF for that. If you go direct the best way is via the optical out; the second best way is through the analog out. If you mike the sound, that's a different way altogether, and some would say it's even better than going direct. But direct vs. miking is apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsdf
                                View Post

My third question is, I am using a solid state UK made amp (Laney MXD 120 Twin) and in the manual it says do not put the volume higher than level eight (it can go to 10). When I use the ToneLab LE, the amp is noticeably louder (like a level 2 or 3 would be as loud as level 6 without the TLLE). So my question is, if i were to go to 8, would it damage my amp? And if not, what level would i consider max?

If the amp's manual says don't turn it above 8, then they should tell you why. If they don't, I'd contact the manufacturer. Let's assume, though, that it probably is because you risk damaging the amp. Since you're giving it a juiced-up signal from the get-go, I would back off a bit, but I can't possibly put a number on it, as it depends on so many other factors. There's no guarantee that your reasoning will actually equate linearly (in other words, just because your signal produces a "6" at "2 or 3" doesn't mean you can go to 4 or 5).

But if you're running an amp with a master volume at 10 (max) and a gain or channel volume at 8, and you want to go beyond, it sounds like you need a bigger amp!
                                Jon Chappell

Comment

Working...
                                X