Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good questions here, aswhad.

Quote Originally Posted by aswhad
    View Post

... what does knob 6 do "adjust the volume level of the programs" when you press AMP+CAB

That's the control to use to balance the programs as the last step, when you're ready to switch between programs in performance. I was using the Channel Volume to balance the overall level of the guitar sound relative to the gain, in the way you would for a single channel amp. But if you have additional, inter-program volume tweaks to make once your sound is all set, yes, you should use this control. Thanks for clarifying this.

View Post

Also is there a way to repeat a phrase so you can play along with it, like a loop station?

The short answer is, "not really." There is a Hold Delay mode, but you can't really use it for extremely precise, rhythmically accurate applications.

View Post

... on

http://www.tonelab.net/node/812 ...they had a discussion about [how] to trim the tube of a onelabSE, there is also such a feature on LE, but the best settings are to have all tuner leds lit but ... there are no leds for the tuner.

There is a trim pot on the LE, and it's in the same location as the one on the SE, described in detail on the forum you mention (between Insert Return and Output R). I don't intend to explore this in the near future, as I haven't felt the need to swap out the tube (although I do have available several versions of the 12AX7 and its ilk). That's definitely an "extra credit project," and whoever wants to tackle this and report back will earn my undying gratitude.

To me, though, the big caveat here is overdriving the A/D, which is a bad thing. I know that an oscilloscope will show different levels of voltage, and though "higher is better," I'm not sure here that "highest possible is better," at least with regard to the fact that the sound will pass through an A/D converter in its next stage. The chain goes like this -- and this is NOT in the manual:

Gtr. -> Insert -> A/D -> Pedal Effect -> Preamp -> D/A -> Valve Reactor (12AU7) -> A/D -> Amp/Cab Model -> Mod -> Delay -> Reverb -> Output Select -> D/A

It's true that higher voltage through a tube is more desirable for a guitar sound in an analog circuit, but I'm not sure about it here (and again, we're talking about tweaking it to the "highest possible" state using meters). You'd have to very carefully raise the voltage without overdriving the A/D, and then listen to the results very critically to determine if they were better for the effort. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but these are the things to watch for, and a way saying a better oscilloscope reading might not translate to a better listening-aesthetic experience.

But is it worth trying? You bet!
    Jon Chappell
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
    Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

• It was mentioned before that someone gave up their TL since you couldn't tweak on-the-fly/live easily. It looks to me like all you'd do is hit the block you want to modify (i.e "amp") and grab a knob below (i.e. "treble"), no? It's an extra button, but I don't think you'd need to get into menus to tweak parameters. Is that the way it works?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
        View Post

It was mentioned before that someone gave up their TL since you couldn't tweak on-the-fly/live easily. It looks to me like all you'd do is hit the block you want to modify (i.e "amp") and grab a knob below (i.e. "treble"), no? It's an extra button, but I don't think you'd need to get into menus to tweak parameters. Is that the way it works?

Yes, one button press and you're in. Then the 6 value knobs (the shiny silver knurled ones, labeled clearly with a matrix underneath) are active. No menus or cursor arrows, all parameters accessible at once via big ol' knobs.

What is true is that you just can't see the value till you turn the knob, but if you're working "on the fly," it means you're doing something by ear. For example, let's say it's "I need more treble here." So you hit "Amp" and grab knob 3 (TONE/TREBLE). The knob becomes active once you move it.

If you want to find the original setting (the saved parameter of the program), you rotate the knob back and forth until you see "ORIG" in the display, and that tells you your starting point.
        Jon Chappell

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
          View Post

What is true is that you just can't see the value till you turn the knob, but if you're working "on the fly," it means you're doing something by ear. For example, let's say it's "I need more treble here." So you hit "Amp" and grab knob 3 (TONE/TREBLE). The knob becomes active once you move it.

Am I correct in assuming it works the same as my VTX in that the knob doesn't change anything until you hit the current/original value of the parameter (so as to avoid large jumps in value as soon as you touch it)?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
            View Post

Am I correct in assuming it works the same as my VTX in that the knob doesn't change anything until you hit the current/original value of the parameter (so as to avoid large jumps in value as soon as you touch it)?

sorry to say no it does not work that way, it changes immediatly.

>>> Jon said "The knob becomes active once you move it."

Even my almost antic Roland GS6 doesn't do that.

THX for the reply Jon.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by aswhad
              View Post

sorry to say no it does not work that way, it changes immediatly.

>>> Jon said "The knob becomes active once you move it."

Even my almost antic Roland GS6 doesn't do that.

Got it...thanks.

Comment

• I've been calling around to my "local" (that's sort of a misnomer, I'm 2 hours from anywhere) music stores and nobody has these in stock (I'm a try before buying kind-a-guy). Musiciansfriend, sweetwater, zzounds - none in stock.

Where would one go to actually try/buy one of these?!
                --
                Wagdog
                Check out Lunar Commander on:
                iTunes App Store
                Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                iTunes App Store
                Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

• Well I bought one a few weeks ago and after playing around with it, and recording some stuff I must say I am very pleased.

I was looking for better clean tone, and the tonelab LE with my new Highway one Telecaster is delivering the best clean tones I ever managed to get in my home studio. Funky liquid wah lines, very nice reggae type chords, and even very warm jazz sounds are all easily achievable with some tweaking.

I erased all the distortion patches as I came across them, so no opinion on those. The ones I listened to didn't sound very impressive to me, but then again I was using either a tele or a 56 goldtop, probably not the best guitars for high gain sounds.

I did experience the digital clicks mentioned previously, but once I synchronized my Fireface 800 to the Tonelab signal at the SPDIF input these went away. This really can't be considered a flaw as there as digital recording systems should really be synchronized to a master clock otherwise errors may happen. That being said, I have other gear (Alesis Fusion) connected to the ADAT input and it never produced any glitches.

All in all the grips I have with the unit are minor. As I mentioned before on the effects forum I find it very annoying that the values jump to the current knob position as soon as you touch them. There's no need for that at all.

I found the effects to be generally good. I particularly like the Univibe effect and the wah. I am not very impressed by the reverb, at least comparing to my IK multimedia CSR. I wouldn't record with it, but just for jamming it's fine.

My only other grip is the lack of a input level. I don't think I'll ever have any problems with clipping the digital input since my guitars generally have low output single coils but I'd imagine people with high output active humbuckers may have problems there.

The editor is also a nice addition. My praises to VOX for launching the product with one readily available.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
                    View Post

You're also right that Vox designed this more with tone in mind, so that's where their focus is, and why the ToneLab LE is less expensive than the GT-8. It's fairly easy to look at the GT-8's signal topology, compare that with the ToneLab LE's, and have the GT-8 coming out on top, but consider that they did introduce an extra D/A-A/D conversion stage in the chain, so that the Insert/Pedal/Preamp signal (already digitized) could take advantage of the Valve Reactor technology (which is analog and occurs just after the preamp).

So Jon... are you saying you could connect the GT-8 into the LE and then have the TONE you want from the LE but the effects you want from the GT-8?

If so... that (IMHO) would be a great way to go!

SEA

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by sea
                      View Post

So Jon... are you saying you could connect the GT-8 into the LE and then have the TONE you want from the LE but the effects you want from the GT-8?

Well, you could, but it's not ideal. The ToneLab offers one Loop point, which is at the very front of the chain, before the gain-shaping tools (Pedal Effect, Amp models, Valve Reactor, Cab models). Since can't change the placement of the loop, you'd have to run your guitar through all stages of the TL, bypassing all but the gain-shaping effects. Then you'd take the output and connect it to the Return of the GT-8 (placed appropriately).

So it's physically possible, but realistically, I don't think using two full-featured mfx in this way is a practical solution.
                      Jon Chappell

Comment

• I currently have two identical 1x12 tube combos that I string together using the effects loops. I don't much care about running in stereo. What would be the best way to incoporate the Tonelab into the effects loop with my current setup?

Comment

• I had a Tonelab SE for more than a year of gigs and rcorded an album with it.

I now have the LE.

I like it much better.

The extra expression pedal was useless to me.

The smaller size is nice

The A/B switch was a total pain in the a$$. It was too easy to hit it by accident.

The presets are better sounding.

Oh and the best way to use these things IMO is direct to the PA.
                          Rock On,

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Milkman1
                            View Post

I had a Tonelab SE for more than a year of gigs and rcorded an album with it.

I now have the LE.

I like it much better.

The extra expression pedal was useless to me.

The smaller size is nice

The A/B switch was a total pain in the a$$. It was too easy to hit it by accident.

The presets are better sounding.

Oh and the best way to use these things IMO is direct to the PA.

Ok I'm trying to gather info on this kind of setup so I would like as many opinions as possible. How was the Tonelab -> PA setup for live use? Did it cut well? Sound as good as a real amp? Feel weird? Also, what kind of music did you play? Thanks for any info!
                            Main Rig:
                            LTD EC1000
                            Peavey 6505+
                            Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
                            TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
                            Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
                            M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

• @Overdriven

check out his site http://www.tmkb.com/equipmentlist.htm

and listen to http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomtommyknockers

Nice playing Mike.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Shinequwa
                                View Post

I currently have two identical 1x12 tube combos that I string together using the effects loops. I don't much care about running in stereo. What would be the best way to incoporate the Tonelab into the effects loop with my current setup?

This is an interesting question and was a bit of a puzzle. My immediate response was, "Just use the four-cable method." The problem is, you use up all your jacks this way with the TL and the first amp. Nothing is left to feed the second amp. But with a line splitter (such as the one Whirlwind offers, called the "LBS" for Line Balancer Splitter), you can do it (though you'll need to convert the XLR outs to TS, but that's no big deal).

First of all, I assume you run your current setup according to A. If so, then follow the schematic in B.

That's the best way I can figure this. Maybe someone else can chime in?
                                Jon Chappell

Comment

Working...
                                X