Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does the apollo compare to the scope dsp audio platform?
    I now know how to coordinate a moon landing............ time to pull out the old 4 track.

Comment

• Any users of both creamware and the apollo have any real world comparisons they would like to share??
      I now know how to coordinate a moon landing............ time to pull out the old 4 track.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

Also this Belkin dock can daisy-chain to another Thunderbolt peripheral, and supply ports to other devices.

The Apple Thunderbolt display is also a TB hub that also has USB3, FW800, Ethernet and a magsafe power adapter, so it's a great option if you work with a MBP.

Comment

• I got my Apollo and a new Macbook Pro...great combination with the Thunderbolt card...more to come...

Comment

• I have 2 questions regarding this interface (indirectly).

1. How do you interface MIDI with it?

2. The latest version of the Mac Pro desktop system does not have Thunderbolt available as an option, although the iMac and Laptops do. Any inside info as to when Mac Pro desktop system will be Thunderbolt compatible? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Comment

• PC early adopters ==how has UA's PC setup worked for you?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by blue bravo
                View Post

I have 2 questions regarding this interface (indirectly).

1. How do you interface MIDI with it?

2. The latest version of the Mac Pro desktop system does not have Thunderbolt available as an option, although the iMac and Laptops do. Any inside info as to when Mac Pro desktop system will be Thunderbolt compatible? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Sorry for the delayed reply...I just deleted about 200 spam posts in this thread

Anyway, there is no MIDI interface in Apollo; you would need to add a separate MIDI interface. MOTU has a 5-port (in and out) model called the Micro Lite USB interface. If you need only a couple ports, the M-Audio MIDIsport 2 x 2 gives you two ports. There are also a lot of 1 x 1 USB adapters, like from Alesis.

As to when Apple is planning on a Thunderbolt desktop...I have no idea. There are some PC motherboards with Thunderbolt (ASUS, IIRC), and the iMac already has Thunderbolt. But apparently, cards have their own issues...this thread has some interesting comments. Also, a post in another thread about Thunderbolt on the Mac says:

"As the Thunderbolt interface uses PCI protocols, it would actually be reasonably straight-forward to devise and implement a PCI-e card to carry a Thunderbolt host controller chip. Unfortunately, because it would not be able to use the high speed interlock channels that are only accessible on the motherboard, the speed of the interface would be severely restricted -- even if a PCI-e x16 slot (normally used for graphics cards) was used, maximum speed would never be able to exceed 1.8 Gbps.

"To gain the full speed of Thunderbolt, the host chip must be placed on the main motherboard with direct access to the chipset ... and currently the only chipset that supports PCI interlock is the new 'Sandy Bridge' series (P67, PM67, H67, HM67)."

Google shows a bunch of threads in the Mac support forums, but they're down for maintenance as I write this. But, I think the bottom line is if you want Thunderbolt on a Mac is to get a laptop or iMac with it, or wait for the next generation of Mac Pros. As to Windows, cards will be available but only for specific motherboards that have specific chipsets.
                There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DCSJ48
                  View Post

PC early adopters ==how has UA's PC setup worked for you?

The Windows drivers aren't out yet...I keep asking for a beta
                  There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by LatencyLover?
                    View Post

Any users of both creamware and the apollo have any real world comparisons they would like to share??

I reviewed the Sonic Core SCOPE about a year ago, but the system went back so I can't do a direct comparison. However, obviously the approach to software is different; the SCOPE system comes bundled with a lot of software and some that's optional at extra cost, while Apollo comes bundled with some software, and a lot that's optional at extra cost. Also, SCOPE has virtual instruments whereas there are currently no virtual instruments available from UA. However, UA offers lots of specialized and exceptional processors like tape emulators, the Lexicon 224 emulation, various classic effects from MXR and Roland, and the like. It is doubtful these kinds of plug-ins will be available for the SCOPE system, as they seem to be mostly into designing their own, and adapting the ones designed for the original SCOPE system.

There's also a philosophical difference. The SCOPE system is designed to virtualize a studio, e.g., the way it hooks into a DAW with "virtual patch cords" for the I/O. Apollo appears to a DAW like a traditional audio interface, but with the ability to add plug-ins while recording or on playback. In that respect, the systems are similar as you can use the processors for more than just playback from your computer.

I think the SCOPE system is really brilliant, but it's also more complex to use than Apollo, which is more general-purpose. Although I can run my circa 2000 SCOPE card in my current computer - and kudos to Sonic Core for developing 64-bit drivers for owners of the original SCOPE cards! - I'm currently not using it, as so much of what it offers is duplicated by other software and hardware in my system, including the Universal Audio plug-ins; also some elements, like the samplers, are out of date compared to products like Kontakt and MOTU's MachFive.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

The Windows drivers aren't out yet...I keep asking for a beta

Thanks for your great work here in this forum, Craig! It's much appreciated!

BTW, Re: Windows drivers for the Apollo, please do keep requesting them, and please keep this pro review running until we can get a good look at how well the Windows drivers work!

I'm especially interested in how they perform at low latency, and how stable they are under a heavy load. I use TAFKAT's DAWbench tests to see how things perform, BTW, which consistently puts Lynx and RME at the top of the pack for low-latency performance. Hoping UA can put on a good show in that regard! UA has a real opportunity to get it right here.

I've called UA about the Windows drivers and could not get a solid answer about when they might be released. If you or UA have any info on availability, please let us know.

Needless to say, I can't use the Apollo with Windows yet, so I've been in limbo about buying it, hoping UA will release great drivers. I've really been hoping for the best, since the rest of the unit seems just about right for what I need.

Thanks again, and keep it up!

Comment

• Wow...this is a great tool...I took the plunge after many years of analog-only exclusivism and bought Protools 10, a MB Pro and the Apollo...I've spent a week getting to know these devices and have gotten to the point where I am limping along through small projects without my board and hardware...

My immediate concern is my huge gap in knowledge about basic aspects of this set-up...for example: I didn't realize I needed an external drive to record to. I ordered a 3TB OWC Mercury Elite external drive based on the Avid website's recommendation and am awaiting it.

Here's the dumb question of the day: do I set the drive up from the Apollo or the Mac?

This thread has changed my life. No. Really.

Comment

• Hi there!

What I would really like to know is - How easy is it to increase your input count with the Apollo?

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Octopre, providing 16 mic pres and plenty of outputs, although they run at FW400.

Therefore, as they are daisy-chained to my OWC external hard drive which can run at FW800 or eSATA (potentially), my hard drive is pulled down in speed to FW400 also.

I would like to:

a. take the load off my CPU

b. increase my analogue input count and

c. maximize the speed of my external drive

I see that using the ADAT on the Apollo only adds 8 channels, and SPDif increases the count by a further 2, still only providing 12 mic pre's.

If the Thunderbolt card is installed, could the Firewire ports be used with the two additional interfaces to make use of their analogue inputs?

This would be excellent!

The facility of DSP effects processing PLUS a total of 20 Mic Pre's would make for a killer rig, especially if I increase my 13" i7 Macbook Pro's RAM to 16GB.

This could also leave my FW800 port on my MBP free for my OWC external drive. (I wish MBP's had an eSata port to really make use of the external disks potential!)

If someone has an Apollo Quad with the Thunderbolt card and a bit of spare time to test this properly, I would LOVE to hear the results of it!

This seems like the best solution for someone running a portable Macbook based home studio, where outboard equipment is limited.

Being a home studio user doesn't mean I will only be simultaneously recording with a Vocal mic, DI box, and stereo pair on an acoustic. Some sessions require a little bit more!

I would try it out myself if I had the money to get my hands on an Apollo, but I am a poor student!

Many thanks,

Dave

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by LaycockAudio
                            View Post

If the Thunderbolt card is installed, could the Firewire ports be used with the two additional interfaces to make use of their analogue inputs?

Aggregating devices on the Mac is easy, and I've done it with Apollo. This article describes how to aggregate with both Windows and Mac computers, and the Mac example uses Apollo

Comment

• Hi Craig, As a heads up (if you missed it), UA has finally released Windows drivers! Yay! So now that this major milestone has been reached, I'm hoping you'll take up the gauntlet and test these drivers out soon. If you get a chance, I invite you to test using DAW Bench ( http://www.dawbench.com/ ) which I've noticed has gained a lot of traction as a great audio device/driver benchmark suite over recent years. Anyway, whatever results you come up with for the Windows drivers will be much appreciated! I'm particularly interested in Apollo's low-latency performance, what load it can handle at low latencies, etc.... Looking forward to your next entries!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by onjam
                                View Post

Hi Craig, As a heads up (if you missed it), UA has finally released Windows drivers! Yay! So now that this major milestone has been reached, I'm hoping you'll take up the gauntlet and test these drivers out soon.

You bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for this.

I spoke to UA today to get some additional background information, which will be included as well. Unfortunately some flu-like something chose to visit me today, so while I may do the installation tonight, it will probably have to wait until tomorrow...I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.

Then again, maybe that's the optimum time to install the system. If I can do it when I feel this bad, then imagine how easy it will be for people who aren't sick!

Comment

Working...
                                X