Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pls help, especially mr Anderton !

this is a what if....

what if one connects up this roland octa capture with all 8 mics

and records for more than 30 mins...straight...into a laptop...

first, will that have problems with noise, dropouts, etc...

with an acer i 5 laptop bought only this year ?

next,

PLAYBACK from above laptop back to roland octa capture...

is it Possible to use all the backside 8 OUTPUTS

giving me the original 8 sounds from the 8 mics ?

we need this situation, so that all these 8 outputs go into

a very decent and quiet analog mixer for mixdown therre in analog form...

for final

L and R output to a master recorder.

has anyone done any of these things yet ?

thanking you

k

Comment

• hi to all...

just to let u know, i got a direct response from Roland japan HQ, since i speak japanese...

and here is in essence what they said , regarding the above question i asked...

Thank you for the inquiry.

and visiting the Roland visitor counseling center

Thank you very much for using our products regularly

After connecting and recording eight microphones with the OCTA-CAPTURE (UA-1010),

I received your enquiry with whether it is possible to Play back each tracked microphone

from the rear OUTPUTS 1 thru 8 of OCTA-CAPTURE through USB.

Yes,

It is possible to make all 8 (INPUTS 1 thru 8) connections of the microphones,

and to output each mic's tracked sound to OCTA-CAPTURE from

OUTPUTS (OUTPUT 1 thru 8)

Please feel relieved.

However, in order to perform the above-mentioned operation,

there is necessity of specifying the output number of a each track separately by

either the recording software , or setting this up as direct monitor

from within the "control panel" software of OCTA-CAPTURE.

* It becomes necessary to display the screen of the "control panel"

of OCTA-CAPTURE on a personal computer by installing the driver.

The flow (signal) of the monitor under recording is set up on this "control panel."

Please understand the situation kindly about this important point.

- Visitor counseling center (e-mail inquiry form)

https://www.roland.co.jp

==== Better Life with Music ====

4-7-19, Takaoka-nishi, Naka-ku,

Hamamatsu-shi, 433-8118 Roland Corp.

Comment

• I came in here to answer your question, but Roland got to it first. Props to them for the quick turnaround and customer service.
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Anderton, I rediscovered the beauty of it's built-in Reverb. It sounds bloody fantastic. I've got altiverb and oxford reverb, still I go back to using octacapture's reverb, although "slight" inconvenience having to route Mix A to record itself.

Comment

• I am curious to know if anyone is successfully using the octa capture under win 8 using either win7 or vista drivers. I have read that changing the INF.file can make them work for some of the edirol/roland products but not all. Given roland's tendency to release drivers for a new OS months after it was released, i cant really wait that long as dont want to miss out on the special win8 upgrade price.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comment

• USB 3.0?

Hello.

I am about to purchase an Octa-Capture but I've been reading conflicting forum posts and reports that it may work properly with USB 3.0.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

I will be using this with a Mac under OS 10.7 or soon 10.8

Also.... what is the mic preamp gain range on these? I can't find a spec.

Thanks a lot!
              I really wonder if I'm over-thinking this?
              Analog Cabin Recording

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme
                View Post

Anderton, I rediscovered the beauty of it's built-in Reverb. It sounds bloody fantastic. I've got altiverb and oxford reverb, still I go back to using octacapture's reverb, although "slight" inconvenience having to route Mix A to record itself.

Maybe if enough people give Roland props, they'll make a more convenient way to access the reverb in a future update
                N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wizard71
                  View Post

I am curious to know if anyone is successfully using the octa capture under win 8 using either win7 or vista drivers. I have read that changing the INF.file can make them work for some of the edirol/roland products but not all. Given roland's tendency to release drivers for a new OS months after it was released, i cant really wait that long as dont want to miss out on the special win8 upgrade price.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I haven't installed Windows 8 yet...but I'm curious as well.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by e.maynard
                    View Post

USB 3.0?

Hello.

I am about to purchase an Octa-Capture but I've been reading conflicting forum posts and reports that it may work properly with USB 3.0.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

I will be using this with a Mac under OS 10.7 or soon 10.8

Also.... what is the mic preamp gain range on these? I can't find a spec.

Thanks a lot!

no problem with usb3 on win7, gigabyte d3v motheboard

Comment

• Anyone have an idea of the Mic preamp gain?
                      Analog Cabin Recording

Comment

View Post

Anyone have an idea of the Mic preamp gain?

It's 50dB. So, don't expect to use any ribbon mics with it unless you have an external preamp.

Comment

• Have any of you seen/heard any problems not having a input pad on any channels?
                          Analog Cabin Recording

Comment

View Post

Have any of you seen/heard any problems not having a input pad on any channels?

No, because if I need a pad, it's invariably because I need it at the mic itself (e.g., overloading a condenser mic's internal electronics). As the Octa-Capture gain can go all the way down to 0, and I don't have any mics that by themselves generate a higher-than-line-level signal, the lack of a pad switch on the Octa-Capture has not been an issue.

Comment

• I'm really on the fence. It's down to this unit or a Focusrite 40 (on my Mac).

Anyone have a thought on these two - sonically & stability wise?
                              Analog Cabin Recording

Comment

View Post

I'm really on the fence. It's down to this unit or a Focusrite 40 (on my Mac).

Anyone have a thought on these two - sonically & stability wise?

Well, having reviewed lots of Focusrite gear and used the Octa-Capture regularly since this review started, I think it's safe to say you can't go wrong with either one.

The main difference is that the Octa-Capture is USB 2.0 and the Saffire 40 is FireWire. Your Mac can probably handle either one, but if there's a laptop in your future and it doesn't include FireWire, that makes the decision for you. For Windows users, the ability to cascade two Octa-Captures is a big deal, but the Mac makes it so easy to integrate different interfaces that's not a consideration for you.

Also while it betrays a certain degree of laziness , I really like the automatic level setting on the Octa-Capture.

The format may matter to you. The Focusrite is a rack-mount unit. It's possible to rack-mount the Octa-Capture, but it's smaller and designed more as a tabletop interface.

Comment

Working...
                                X