Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I solved my problems with bad balance by buying new cables. Now I have another question. Can be volume of monitors connected to out 3-4 controlled by main out knob on front panel? I need to control volume of two pairs of monitors at the same time because I have some new monitors from my friend here.

Comment

• Yes u can. 3/4 is mix B. Will take some familiarisation

The virtual mixers are awesome

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

Sorry, don't have a KA6 for comparison.

Ah ok, thanks Anderton, and sorry for stretching too much the original subject!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme
          View Post

Yes u can. 3/4 is mix B. Will take some familiarisation

The virtual mixers are awesome

This really not working for me. When I input monitors to output 3/4 and in patchbay select multimonitor thw MAIN OUT knob on the front panel have no effect to volume of outputs 3/4, only for outputs 1/2.

Comment

• firmware Version 1.51 is out

[ Ver.1.51 ]

Following bug fixed.

USB transfer of OCTA-CAPTURE(UA-1010) might stop when it transmits or receives heavy MIDI messages while recording or playing audio.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Palio
              View Post

This really not working for me. When I input monitors to output 3/4 and in patchbay select multimonitor thw MAIN OUT knob on the front panel have no effect to volume of outputs 3/4, only for outputs 1/2.

Correct ... the hardware knob only controls 1 & 2
              Don Boomer

Comment

• got this for $125, now I can use octacapture's SPDIF in for a total of 10 inputs

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                  View Post

Correct ... the hardware knob only controls 1 & 2

I found a solution to use more pair of monitors and controll their volumi while mixing.

1. Link (red) input and output faders in controll application for directmix A.

2. Set the patch bay to output 3-4 and 5-6 to directmix A

3. use Direct Mixer knob on front panel of OC to control your volume.

But I have a problem. I try to compare the sound with my old M-Audio Fast Track PRO and sound output from octa capture seems more stereo placed and some instruments (VST presets) sounds a little bit like phase inverted. Both for speakers and headphones. Is this normal? If not, how to solve this problem?

Comment

• Hi, Mr. Anderton.

Thank you for a great review, and sorry to bump an old thread, but I've read through the whole thing and still have a couple of questions.

First, I've heard conflicting reports on how the preamps on the Octa-Capture perform at high gain settings. One report from Electronic Musician states that the pres remain quiet with the gain turned up for recording a ribbon mic. (http://www.emusician.com/gear/0769/r...terface/135215).

Others say that they begin to get noisy when turned up, such as this one from GearSlutz: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...a-capture.html

Can you confirm whether or not the pres get noisy when cranked up to record quiet sources, like ribbon mics?

Secondly, a report from Audio State of Mind says that recordings made with the Octo-Capture are less "defined," less "detailed," and more "artificial" sounding than recordings made on devices by RME would be. This particular review is for the Quad-capture, but I understand the components are the same or very similar (http://audiostateofmind.com/2012/roland-quad-capture).

I will be recording, mixing, and mastering original music with the OC, if I purchase one. If the above report is true, I'm worried whether it is up to the task. What is your opinion on this?

Third, I use a lot of VST's and virtual instruments simultaneously in my projects. So far, this hasn't been a problem on my old Mbox2 and my (relatively) new computer. I'm assuming that the OC is at least as fast as the Mbox2 (and hopefully faster), so there shouldn't be any problems in this area, right?

Finally, I want to do some reamping. I believe you addressed this earlier in the thread, but since I'm asking, I can run a recorded track in Reaper to one of the outs of the OC, through a reamping box, into my amp and record the amp through one of the OC's inputs, correct?

I thank you for your time and input; not to sound like a sycophant, but it's an honor to be able to ask someone with so much experience. I'm kind of a mad scientist in the studio, and I just need to make sure the OC can stand up to all of my experimenting before I invest that much money in it.

Comment

• can't answer all, cause I'm working with budget mics

but performance of VSTs depends on CPU power, not audio interface

I also re-amp and using reaper. I route the output of the clean guitar track to one of the outs using balance connection , using a cheap Stereo Male 1/4 to XLR adaptor > XLR cable > Re-amp box, and back to octacapture input

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme
                        View Post

can't answer all, cause I'm working with budget mics

but performance of VSTs depends on CPU power, not audio interface

I also re-amp and using reaper. I route the output of the clean guitar track to one of the outs using balance connection , using a cheap Stereo Male 1/4 to XLR adaptor > XLR cable > Re-amp box, and back to octacapture input

Awesome, zzzxtreme. I appreciate it.

Comment

• Over 6 years ago I bought a Mackie Onyx 400F based on one of Craig's first ever pro-reviews... amazingly it's still on the first page as of today!

During a very productive drum recording session last saturday, the drummer accidentally threw it on the floor (thank you rack ears... should have removed them a long time ago... never figured they could be removed until now) and something went bad inside. It's dead and beyond repair now... (I figure the warranty is long gone)

So I decided to trust Craig once again and bought the Octa-capture! Really neat little box, much prefer the size, and yet it's got 4 extra preamps! Will miss the dual headphone outs though, now I have to get a headphone amp. At least it's got some juice!

Auto-sens is nice, though it seems to air on the safe side (with peaks topping at about 6dB, but better be safe than sorry, especially in 24bits).

Only reliable comparison I've been able to do so far is a direct recording of my guitar to re-amp in Guitar Rig 4 and the difference is interesting. Using the same guitar, same cable, and trying to match the signal level as closely as possible, the new tracks have an extra clarity to them, but the Mackie ones sound a bit "fatter".

Amazingly, the Roland has a lower input impedance on the high-z setting (740k vs 1M), which from experience would have cause the opposite effect.

Sad thing is I can't say whether it's the Roland being "hyped" or the Mackie lacking detail. But based on Craig's testing, I would assume the Roland is the most accurate one.

Then it dawned upon me: I've always been struggling with slightly distorted high-hats, I always blamed the room or the mic (though when renting high-end mics it did sound better). Could it be... during all those years... it was actually my interface not doing a good job on cymbals?

I won't get to tracks drums for few weeks, but now I can't wait! I'll report back on my findings (using same room and mics)!

Tomorrow night I'm tracking bass, can't wait to see if the low-end is as solid as Craig says!

Oh yeah: driver installation was so easy (I didn't bother with the CD and went straight to their website, but turns out I already had 1.50 in there) it was almost anti-climactic! That's with 2 PCs (a Vista 32-bit laptop, and a Win 7 64-bit uber powerful desktop).

Also, no physical button for mic pre gain is a bit of an annoyance... on the other hand no more messing with them by mistake, and I can save settings and recall them!
                          What is this sorcery?

Comment

• Sounds good, Badside. I'm still doing some comparison shopping, and all the input definitely helps.

I appreciate it, man.

Comment

• Badside, congrats. I got a cheap used old $120 Roland MMP2 preamp to make use of the octacapture's spdif in, now I get 10 inputs. i totally recommend it over other similarly priced preamps. preamps taken from their high end digital recorders

Comment

• Another super review. The post is very informative. I have introduced to lot of new terms. Certainly these will help a lot to increase my music knowledge. Keep posting more reviews like this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X