Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by todd25
    View Post

Thanks for the great review.

Firstly I was just wondering about the AC adapter on this unit. I live in Europe and don't want to have to use a step-down converter with my audio interface. Is it possible to switch between voltages for this unit and if so could I just order an EU adapter from Roland for my American bought machine?

The power supply handsl 100-240V, 50/60Hz. All you need to do is replace the cable that goes from your AC wall outlet to the transformer with a commonly-available AC cord. You didn't mention where you're from, but if you're in Germany, places like Saturn have what you would need.

Also, regarding the auto SENS. How does this work exactly? Do I plug in a keyboard, press a button and play for 5 seconds and then it sets the level for me?

You start auto-sens, then play. After you feel you've hit what will likely be your maximum level, you stop auto-sens. I use this for narration all the time because my "vocal booth" is a separate room. I turn on auto-sens, go into the room, talk for a while, leave, turn off auto-sens...levels set

Also, I'm worried that I will find setting the gates and compressors for all the individal inputs a little overwhelming. I only ever use one analog synth, a bass guitar, a keyboard for pads and an old drum machine with 6 individual outs. How would you recommend that I set up the settings for the pre amps? I don't want to have to mess around with compressors and gates every time I want to jam, but neither do I want to be worrying that my signal is being worsened by having the wrong settings in place.

You can just ignore the gates and compressors until you're ready to delve into them. You can do that sort of thing in your DAW anyway.

Finally, I wonder about the onboard reverb. What exactly is the point of this? I use keyboards and electronic percussion modules and when I add reverb its there to stay. It seems that this reverb is only audible in the headphones? Is this more of a singer-songwriter thing?

You've pretty much nailed it. It's ideal for all those singers who like to hear themselves with reverb when they do a take.

Thanks!!

You're welcome
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by ezang
      View Post

The OC software control panel/mixer does not show any levels. This is quite inconvenient during live gigs when the OC is not in a convenient place to see the lcd display.

I talked to an employee of Roland recently, and he said that this feature will be available with the next driver update. So worth checking the Roland page for an update from time to time.

Comment

• Hi there. Your extensive posts convinced me to get the Octa-Capture but there is one thing I'm having a problem with and I can't seem to solve it.

I'm trying to make two individul mixes and route them to separate outputs for direct monitoring whilst playing back backing tracks via my DAW (in this case using outputs 1/2 or the headphone out for mix A and outputs 7 and 8 for Mix B) in the background.

I seem to have set everything up properly in the ASIO Octa Capture control panel but I have the following problems:

If I talk into a mic plugged into one of the inputs it registers as a signal in the interface.. however I can't get any monitoring sound from that input to any of the outputs. I can hear it in the headphones plugged into the headhone jack on the front no worries but zero sound from the outputs. This is also unusual because if I play a track I just recorded in (and from) my DAW (Reaper) I can hear this no problem through ALL of the outputs.

This brings me to my next issue. I set up Direct Monitor A to solo on outputs 1 and 2 but it still comes out ALL the outputs!

Any ideas of what I may need to do to be able to monitor live through the outputs on the back? What am I doing wrong? Is it only possible to hear playback though the outputs and not a live signal???

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Comment

• UPDATE on my last post. I am now able to get a signal from my mic but it's EXTREMELY feint coming from the rear outputs compared to the playback volume from my DAW of recorded tracks on the front headphone jack signal (you can only barely hear the mic signal, I tried it with another sound source apart from the mic, same issue [edrumkit into the line in]). FYI I'm set to 44.1hz, patchbay is set to output 1-2 Direct Mix A, Output 7-8 Direct Mix B.. all other outputs set to Wave out 1-2, 3-4 etc. All input and output mixer levels are set at 0db (but i have tried the channels i have instruments/mics plugged in as high as +12 db (maxed out on both input and output channels) and the volume coming out of the outputs is still WAY lower than the volume from the headphone output. Does the send signal need to be amplified by an external source to be heard at a reasonable volume? Like say an external powered mixer or power amp or powered monitors??

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by sex robot
            View Post

I'm trying to make two individual mixes and route them to separate outputs for direct monitoring whilst playing back backing tracks via my DAW (in this case using outputs 1/2 or the headphone out for mix A and outputs 7 and 8 for Mix B) in the background.

I'm not totally sure I understand what you want to do. You mention two individual mixes. Do you mean separate mixes you can call up when desired? Also, why do you want to send the mixers to separate outputs for direct monitoring - you can mix them in with your DAW backing tracks?

Let's try this - instead of telling me what you're doing, tell me what you would like to accomplish, as simply as possible. I suspect the problems you're having are due to not making full use of the mixer applet.

I have to say it took me a little while to wrap my head around it...but now it makes complete sense.

We'll get this figured out; you may be making the situation more complex than it needs to be.
            N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
              View Post

Let's try this - instead of telling me what you're doing, tell me what you would like to accomplish, as simply as possible. I suspect the problems you're having are due to not making full use of the mixer applet.

Hi, thanks for the prompt response. OK I'll try to make this as simple as possible. Basically I am using the interface in a small home studio with the intention me and my girlfriend can plug our instruments into the interface (mic,e-drums,bass etc) and then play along to/with tracks we had already recorded in my DAW (Reaper). Then i was hoping i could plug one set of headphones in the front headphone input and then my girlfriend plug a second pair of headphones in the rear input so we both could hear everything at similar levels whilst we played/sang etc and layered tracks.

In a nutshell its the levels on the second pair of headphones that is the problem (too low- but ONLY in hearing the input signal from the currently playing instruments/vocals). You can hear the pre-recorded tracks coming from the DAW clear as a bell though so it must be possible?

I hope that makes it clearer?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by sex robot
                View Post

Hi, thanks for the prompt response. OK I'll try to make this as simple as possible. Basically I am using the interface in a small home studio with the intention me and my girlfriend can plug our instruments into the interface (mic,e-drums,bass etc) and then play along to/with tracks we had already recorded in my DAW (Reaper). Then i was hoping i could plug one set of headphones in the front headphone input and then my girlfriend plug a second pair of headphones in the rear input so we both could hear everything at similar levels whilst we played/sang etc and layered tracks.

In a nutshell its the levels on the second pair of headphones that is the problem (too low- but ONLY in hearing the input signal from the currently playing instruments/vocals). You can hear the pre-recorded tracks coming from the DAW clear as a bell though so it must be possible?

I hope that makes it clearer?

Well for starters, the rear panel outputs are not designed to drive headphones - they're line level, and NOT stereo. You say you can hear the pre-recorded tracks, though...so there must be enough level, which is possible depending on the headphones. However, if you're sending any tracks to the "other" channel, you won't hear them, or they will be very faint. You'll have to create a mono monitor mix.

I'll check out what happens when I plug headphones into the back, but really, that's not the intended usage for the rear panel jacks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                  View Post

Well for starters, the rear panel outputs are not designed to drive headphones - they're line level, and NOT stereo. You say you can hear the pre-recorded tracks, though...so there must be enough level, which is possible depending on the headphones. However, if you're sending any tracks to the "other" channel, you won't hear them, or they will be very faint. You'll have to create a mono monitor mix.

I'll check out what happens when I plug headphones into the back, but really, that's not the intended usage for the rear panel jacks.

Thanks. Yeah i figured it wasnt intended for phones but with the prerecorded tracks having ample volume i thought it may be possible. It would be very handy being able to monitor with dual headphones as i dont really want to have to buy an external powered mixer or headphone amp for the second pair of phones.

Comment

• If you're using the same make and model of headphones, you can probably use a Y-type cable to split the headphone output signal between the two headphones.

Comment

• I did think of tat. Do you think it will split the signal though so you only get the sound in one earpiece each though? Another thing i noticed too is i get a fair amount of white noise/buzzing from the outputs when the octa capture is connected to the laptop via USB but then when i disconnect the usb cable its fine. Any idea what may be causing that?

Comment

• Hi! Do you have the 1.50 Octa-capture update? I have recently updated and there are a couple of very useful changes. However, I updated to Protools 9.05 from 9.02 at the same time and now I get pops and clicks where before I was all clear and loving the Octa-capture. I'm pretty sure it's the Octa-capture update as PT9.05 is fine with my Mbox 2. Any thoughts on the matter? I'm using Windows 7. This thread has been a great and useful read, but please excuse me if I missed something earlier relevant to my post, as I haven't read all of it!

Comment

• I'm using a UA25-Ex and need more inputs so I'm looking at the Octa-Capture. My plan would be to permanently wire my mic's in the back and use the front for guitar. I'm using Windows XP on a laptop, HS7XL.Usually record at 44.1 16 bit just because that's what I'm used to.

Here comes the stupid question.... will the Octa- Capture work with this system? I see every post about it is Windows & 64 bit. (I'm new and learning this stuff) I'm sure it would be "backwards compatible to XP but I'd like to hear it from someone. Would I gain a REAL benefit from this upgrade? Afe the Pre amps much better than what I'm using now (Aphex 107).

If it does work I could unload my UA25-EX, my Aphex 107 preamp, and my Alesis 3630 compressor and get some real estate back in the "studio".

What do you think? Here's my set-up.

Software:Home Studio 7XL

Computer: Dell Vostro 1000, 4 GB ram , Windows XP, Professional Version 2002 SP 3, Mobile ADM Sempron

Processor 3600+ ,1.99GHz

Western Digital (1TB) External Hard Drive for HS7XL projects

Cakewalk UA-25EX

M-Audio Keystation 88es

Alesis 3630 compressor

Aphex 107 Pre-amp

Rode and AKG mic's

Comment

• Thank You Mr. Anderson.....I mean Anderton.

Your review alone made me want to check this unit out, and I do not regret it. Many thanks for the reviews you have also provided on the ipb-10, many props on the STOP...No REALLY STOP.

All I can say is the Octa-Capture performs over what I expected, and expectations were high. I recently entered the "pro-sumer" market for recording and production. Before this I had a M-Audio 192 sound card I was using as my entry level.

This unit is crisp, clear, flexible, and very much under control. I use mostly Sonar, and this interface made integration seemless. Install was easy, quality is high, and built in with Sonar's track flexibility makes an amateur like me sound like a pro.

One recommendation I would make is to ground this thing. I had some line level noise until I ran a grounding wire from the interface to the grounding plug of another piece of equipment. Since this time it has been nothing but trouble free recording.

If you are the type of person who likes plug and play recording, this unit is for you. I cannot say enough about how great the Octa-Capture has worked for me.

Comment

• Hi all! Hi Anderton!

"Long time no see"!

I bought the octa-capture, following your advice and many others on this revew.

Since I'm a newbie, though, I only discover what ist's like to work with an external interface.

Here's my problem: I made a try by recording two lines successively, a bass and a voice, both plugged in the first entry (1). Then I tried to go for the 7 others, to go further with my tests, and here's what happens: I get the sound, either in my headphones or in my monitors, but NO TRACE of it in Logic Pro, wether I record or not (the Vu-metre don't even show the slightest move). As if the USB wouldn't transmit anything else than the entry nr 1...

What do I do wrong? I even used the function "go back to factory settings", just in case, but no success, the problem remains the same! And, up to this point, I don't find the solution in the manual.

Will somebody be gentle enough to handle my ignorance? I'm pretty shure the answer is stupid, but I didn't find it alone, up to this point.

Thank you.

Rwubu

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by psykobmbor
                                View Post

One recommendation I would make is to ground this thing. I had some line level noise until I ran a grounding wire from the interface to the grounding plug of another piece of equipment. Since this time it has been nothing but trouble free recording.

Totally agreed, as I pointed out in post #86. But it bears repeating as grounding really does make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X