No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by DrFunky
    View Post

I noticed that Line 6 is giving a $200 rebate on any of its JTV guitars, $150 for any DT amp and $500 for the purchase of a Dream Rig. Should be honored by any of the Internet

dealers.

From what I've seen (MF & Sweetwater) and the rebate PDF, it's a $200 instant rebate on the guitars and $150 instant rebate on the amps (heads or combos). Then there's an additional mail-in-rebate for the final $150, if you buy the HD500 too, completing the Dream Rig.

If you've purchased one or two components of the Dream Rig prior to today, and complete the Dream Rig during the promotion, then you also qualify for the $150 mail-in-rebate.

Details here:

http://line6.com/dreamrig/

Comment

• Hi All,

Great review!! Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I've learn't a lot as a novice guitarist.

I would dearly love to get my hands on the 'dream rig' and at this point have just the JTV59. I'm planning on getting an HD500 in the mid future. I'm currently using a Digitech RP500 and quite like it but would like to go down the Line 6 path.

One day in the (probably far) future I'd like to get a DT25 but was wondering what would be people's recommendations for an alternative cheaper combo amp?

I mostly play Hillsong type music.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Also would it still be a dream rig if you had a POD HD300 instead of the HD500? Would the 300 work as well?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by CW0401
          View Post

Also would it still be a dream rig if you had a POD HD300 instead of the HD500? Would the 300 work as well?

It wouldn't be considered the "Dream Rig" as outlined in this thread. However, it may work for you.

See this page for the differences (scroll down to "What are the differences between POD HD multi-effect pedals?")

http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/faq.html

A key difference is that neither the HD300 or HD400 support Variax Digital In so they won't power your JTV guitar or change the settings on the guitar from the Pod. That alone would be worth the upgrade for me.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Ferna
            View Post

It wouldn't be considered the "Dream Rig" as outlined in this thread. However, it may work for you.

See this page for the differences (scroll down to "What are the differences between POD HD multi-effect pedals?")

http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/faq.html

A key difference is that neither the HD300 or HD400 support Variax Digital In so they won't power your JTV guitar or change the settings on the guitar from the Pod. That alone would be worth the upgrade for me.

Thanks for that Ferna.

After looking at the Line 6 website I'm wondering if a viable close option to the Dream Rig may be getting the Spider Valve MkII 112 Amp and floor switch shortboard and forgoing the POD HD Altogether.

Hummmmm.........

Comment

View Post

Thanks for that Ferna.

After looking at the Line 6 website I'm wondering if a viable close option to the Dream Rig may be getting the Spider Valve MkII 112 Amp and floor switch shortboard and forgoing the POD HD Altogether.

Hummmmm.........

Hi CW,

I have a Sider Valve MkII 2x12 Combo and a DT25 combo. I like them both. And, in fact I use them both as I found the Dream Rig sounds even better in stereo out to 2 amps. I go from one 1/4 inch out on the HD500 to the power amp in on the back of the Spider Valve, the other 1/4 inch out goes to an effects pedal that is off, to maintain stereo. I set each program in the HD500 with DT info including out put to amp A (the DT25) to the other side of the stereo field.

I really have to agree with what Ferna told you... It is worth the extra $ to get the HD500 as it gives you VDI connection with JTV guitars. then 1 press of a footswitch controls a complete change in guitar and settings as well as alternate tuning if you so choose, amp, cabinet and mic, all effects, and if you have a DT amp- the class A or AB, Negative Feedback loop topology, and Pentode or triode setting. HD 500 is a no brainer, the amp decision is more difficult as it involves more money. You can start with any tube amp using the power amp In from HD 500. It should sound good. Spider valve will sound better, and on its own does sound terrific. The DT amp sounds best of course. But the system really purrs in stereo! I find the Spider Valve compliments the DT amp and I can hear the effects of the change in analog component settings on it which makes my sound work the best for me.

The idea of the Dream Rig, it would seem, is to deliver you endless tonal possibilities with one easy button press giving you really great sound. Anyway,this is the best tone I have ever gotten from any gear. It would be best if you could go to a store where they would let you play with all this stuff and decide for yourself what works best and what you can afford now. Keep in mind what I said about stereo and that someday you will want to have a DT amp in the system, or two!

Comment

• The DT amp sounds best of course. But the system really purrs in stereo! I find the Spider Valve complements the DT amp and I can hear the effects of the change in analog component settings on it which makes my sound work the best for me.

The idea of the Dream Rig, it would seem, is to deliver you endless tonal possibilities with one easy button press giving you really great sound. Anyway,this is the best tone I have ever gotten from any gear. It would be best if you could go to a store where they would let you play with all this stuff and decide for yourself what works best and what you can afford now. Keep in mind what I said about stereo and that someday you will want to have a DT amp in the system, or two!

Thanks DrFunky

You've given me even more food for thought. I would certainly love the idea of trying out the 500, DT and Spider Valve but the only thing availble in my town to try is the 500 which I will try. The Amp, which ever one I end up with, unless I go for a different brand will have to be bought sight unseen (or unheard in this case). Having said all that, I think after reading this thread and other research I've done, I don't think I'd be upset with either the Valve or DT if bought without trying first

Unfortuneatley I live in a rural city in Queensland Australia with only two shops that sell instruments. One of them is the Line 6 dealer but doesn't stock either the DT or the Spider Valve. They only have non valve spider amps.

Even more problematic is that the Australian Distributor for Line 6 has gone 'belly up' as we say in Oz and I've been told that it will probably be a fairly lengthy period of time before a new distributor is selected by Line 6.

I do have one final question though DrFunky.... With the Valve MkII, what do you do if you want to use two effects from the same effect bank? EG say you want to use the Red Comp along with Pitch Slider in the first bank Is there a way of doing it? I know this is not a dream rig question and apologize in advance.

Kindest Regards

CW

Comment

View Post

Thanks DrFunky

You've given me even more food for thought. I would certainly love the idea of trying out the 500, DT and Spider Valve but the only thing availble in my town to try is the 500 which I will try. The Amp, which ever one I end up with, unless I go for a different brand will have to be bought sight unseen (or unheard in this case). Having said all that, I think after reading this thread and other research I've done, I don't think I'd be upset with either the Valve or DT if bought without trying first

Unfortuneatley I live in a rural city in Queensland Australia with only two shops that sell instruments. One of them is the Line 6 dealer but doesn't stock either the DT or the Spider Valve. They only have non valve spider amps.

Even more problematic is that the Australian Distributor for Line 6 has gone 'belly up' as we say in Oz and I've been told that it will probably be a fairly lengthy period of time before a new distributor is selected by Line 6.

I do have one final question though DrFunky.... With the Valve MkII, what do you do if you want to use two effects from the same effect bank? EG say you want to use the Red Comp along with Pitch Slider in the first bank Is there a way of doing it? I know this is not a dream rig question and apologize in advance.

Kindest Regards

CW

CW- You could do that with an HD500 easily as you can assign effects blocks to be anything you want eg 4 different distortions if you want, but sorry Spider Valve is much more restrictive with effects. Line 6 has up-graded the choices which you have to down load using USB into an FB express and they are quite programable using the Spider Valve software, but you cannot do more than 1 effect from an effects block. What is available is quite good perhaps the best selection of effects in any amp and they sound quite good.

The effects in HD 500 are on another level due to flexibility of routing but it is the HD amps that really shine here. You should definitely try an HD 500 playing into the power amp In of a tube amp even if a Spider Valve is not available. This way you hear the harmonics of the HD amps the way they were designed. Of course, the DT amps are what makes this system go over the top,but I think if price was an issue a Spider Valve amp would not disappoint. Hope this is helpful

Funky

Comment

View Post

Thanks DrFunky

Kindest Regards

CW

A piece of advice: I started with an old Variax 300, got the HD500 and then upgraded to a used Variax 600, playing thru a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 until last month, when I pulled the trigger on a DT25. I now have what I call the "Cream Rig," that is, just a little less than the "Dream." I get the exact same tones (except the new acoustic sounds) as with a Tyler Variax, but can't access some of the advanced guitar features such as alt tuning a 12-string model or using the Variax volume and tone pots to change patch parameters like delay or distortion. The old Variaxes like mine don't have magnetic pickups, and they also lack the Tyler's alt-tuner knob, but I can use the Workbench program to set alt tuning to a preset.

If you're looking at the system and want to shave a few bucks from the entry price, consider this variation. The older Variaxes don't have the personality of the new ones, visually speaking, but they can be found for a fraction of the cost on ebay or craigslist, which could make getting the amp and HD easier monetarily. All Variaxes come with a VDI digital output, so you can switch guitar patches from the HD as with the Tylers. I suggest finding a Variax 600 or 700, as the 300's are the "budget" model and mine felt like it. The 500 was the original Variax, and they have a good rep, although I've never used one. My 600 has the feel of a nice Strat, with a lacquered maple neck (some say too lacquered, but I'm totally used to it now) and a nice balanced feel to it. I even did a little customization to the pickguard to make it my own.

One final piece of advice: especially with the HD500, before you play with it - read the manual. It's somewhat less than intuitive to program the unit, but if you arm yourself with the knowledge before hand, you'll have a far less steep learning curve. I LOVE the sounds I get and the flexibility of the system, which I use in bands as diverse as a 50's-60's doo wop group, a 9-piece wedding band, and a 80's-90's Alternative Rock cover band. I love recording with the setup as well, with a studio of guitars a knob's turn away. Here's an example of what can be done recording-wise: You can hear the Gretsch, Martin acoustic, and Les Paul models played thru the Blackface Dbl and Treadplate models on a video I edited and composed for my Teacher's Union. Good luck! I hope you find the rig as inspiring as I have.

Dave

shinyheadmusic.com

EDIT: Re-reading your post, you're from a part of the world unlikely to have access to Craigslist, and I'm not sure how shipping is with eBay, but I'll bet you can still find some used Variaxes in Australia. Good luck.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by shinyheadmusic
                      View Post

A piece of advice: I started with an old Variax 300, got the HD500 and then upgraded to a used Variax 600, playing thru a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 until last month, when I pulled the trigger on a DT25. I now have what I call the "Cream Rig," that is, just a little less than the "Dream." I get the exact same tones (except the new acoustic sounds) as with a Tyler Variax, but can't access some of the advanced guitar features such as alt tuning a 12-string model or using the Variax volume and tone pots to change patch parameters like delay or distortion. The old Variaxes like mine don't have magnetic pickups, and they also lack the Tyler's alt-tuner knob, but I can use the Workbench program to set alt tuning to a preset.

If you're looking at the system and want to shave a few bucks from the entry price, consider this variation. The older Variaxes don't have the personality of the new ones, visually speaking, but they can be found for a fraction of the cost on ebay or craigslist, which could make getting the amp and HD easier monetarily. All Variaxes come with a VDI digital output, so you can switch guitar patches from the HD as with the Tylers. I suggest finding a Variax 600 or 700, as the 300's are the "budget" model and mine felt like it. The 500 was the original Variax, and they have a good rep, although I've never used one. My 600 has the feel of a nice Strat, with a lacquered maple neck (some say too lacquered, but I'm totally used to it now) and a nice balanced feel to it. I even did a little customization to the pickguard to make it my own.

One final piece of advice: especially with the HD500, before you play with it - read the manual. It's somewhat less than intuitive to program the unit, but if you arm yourself with the knowledge before hand, you'll have a far less steep learning curve. I LOVE the sounds I get and the flexibility of the system, which I use in bands as diverse as a 50's-60's doo wop group, a 9-piece wedding band, and a 80's-90's Alternative Rock cover band. I love recording with the setup as well, with a studio of guitars a knob's turn away. Here's an example of what can be done recording-wise: You can hear the Gretsch, Martin acoustic, and Les Paul models played thru the Blackface Dbl and Treadplate models on a video I edited and composed for my Teacher's Union. Good luck! I hope you find the rig as inspiring as I have.

Dave

shinyheadmusic.com

EDIT: Re-reading your post, you're from a part of the world unlikely to have access to Craigslist, and I'm not sure how shipping is with eBay, but I'll bet you can still find some used Variaxes in Australia. Good luck.

Thanks Dave,

I already have the JTV59 but you've got some good advice there....

Regards

CW

Comment

• I've asked at Line 6's JTV forums, and maybe someone here can help - I'm curious to see some videos of the new JTV-69S magnetic pickups. A commenter there (who was unable to post a video) said he found them to have a lot of hum, and he was planning to replace them. It's not unexpected for single coils to hum, but I am still curious for some reviews - and things around this post have been pretty quiet for a while. Anybody out there able to oblige?

Comment

• I do not get excessive hum with mine. Run it through two Fender amps and my HD500 into the board.
                          Carvin DC400; Fender Cyber-Twin head, Carvin 2x12, JTV69, DT25, Epiphone Nite Hawk, Tele squire, Wechter acoustic, Carvin AG 1000, Gretch 5120

Comment

• So... Are we, at some point in the not-too-distant future, going to get the rundown on the whole enchilada?

I've been waitin' and waitin'...

Comment

• Hi,

I am a drummer - hope I am not intruding.

What is the best sounding way to the the 'Dream Rig' into a PA?

Using the HD500 XLR's, Using the DT25 XRL out or miking the amp?

thx

jorn

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by edeibler
                                View Post

So... Are we, at some point in the not-too-distant future, going to get the rundown on the whole enchilada?

I've been waitin' and waitin'...

Yes, me too. I don't like to make excuses, but as you may have noticed, the performance of the forums took a nosedive in October. We are getting about 900 registrations a day from spammers, who bombard us with spam (I just deleted over 100 spam posts from this thread alone, and another 180 in the Universal Audio Apollo thread). IT is working on it, and the forums are now at least responding faster, but this has seriously impacted my ability to do pro reviews as many times, I couldn't even access the forums (and once I was IP banned for no known reason).

Add to that one of our staff being out first from hurricane Sandy and then from an illness, coupled with my being the only person at AES and shooting/editing/rendering over 50 videos...well, like I said, I hate to make excuses but it's been hell the last couple months.

Anyway, the good news is the forum seems to be more stable, and as an extra treat (!), Line 6 sent me a StageSource monitor, which conforms to the link protocol and seems like it would be ideal for the acoustic guitar emulations. Also, there is now a DT25 update AND a POD HD500 update, so it seems like - assuming no more disasters - the thread is ready for a reboot in the next couple days.

Thanks for your patience.
                                CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Working...
                                X