No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    View Post

Furthermore, Neal (OcalaMusician) has written a very good basic article that could be called "getting to know the HD500." I will be adding material to it and expanding it, and then include some additional tutorials in this thread on using the HD500. This thread is far from over, and you'll be learning a lot more about how to use this gear in the weeks ahead.

I am having trouble finding a link to this document - can you please (re?) post it?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by shinyheadmusic
      View Post

I am having trouble finding a link to this document - can you please (re?) post it?

I haven't finished editing it yet. Expect it to appear mid-next week.
      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Hi Craig,

Great thread! I'm really curious as to how well the JTV's tone and volume knobs act as expression pedals for the HD500. Controlling 50+ parameters from one knob whilst playing sounds like it'd be brain-meltingly cool. Cheers!

Comment

• Made a trade with Guitar Center last week for a JTV69. The first one that came had a problem with the switch and data port. The one that I tried to play in the store had the same problem. The second one that came is the best guitar that I have ever played. The resonance and sustain are great. Had trouble getting the software to update, but once it did to modeled sounds are lush and full. Running it through an HD500 into a PA now and am very happy with the results.

The information provided by Line 6 is lacking in some specific ways and there does not seem to be a way to easily ask them questions.
          Carvin DC400; Fender Cyber-Twin head, Carvin 2x12, JTV69, DT25, Epiphone Nite Hawk, Tele squire, Wechter acoustic, Carvin AG 1000, Gretch 5120

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DrFunky
            View Post

NYLON

Hi Neal! I had a Variax 700 acoustic a few years ago. The Nylon string instrument was pretty accurate and fun to play. I really did not mind playing it thru steel strings as that was comfortable and the tone coming out was a Nylon. They had a D21 Martin for the Dreadnaught model. That was pretty nice too, as was the Mandola. There was also an acoustic Sitar that I loved. All in all, I like the acoustics on the JTV more. I'm getting some really nice tones thru the D28 model. As far as Nylons go- the best one I ever played was on My EMU Emulator III. I played that with pitch bending on my roland master keyboard and it also sounded good thru the Roland GKII pick up on a Strat I had thru midi on my VG 8/88. I know you are familiar with all this gear too! It really is a treat playing some other instrument thru a guitar or keyboard and people listening really hear that instrument in this case a Nylon stringed inst. For recording it was the best and really sounded authentic.

I never got the VG 99 or the new GR55, do they have Nylons and how do they sound? Did you put a GK pickup on any of your JTV's to play Roland gear? This would make the the JTV even more versatile as you could trigger the entire MIDI universe! Are you in to that? What kind of results?

Funky

Yes, I have two GR-55 units and both work terrifically provided the GK-3 pickup is installed and calibrated properly. I have a GK-3 pickup on each of my older Vax 700 guitars. Just thought...why not since it has no mag pups anyway, why not use it for this as well as the still very useable Variax modeling it already does. I use the other unit for my 6-string bass. It gives me the ability to do any guitar or synth just like on the typical 6-string guitar, but I can do while playing bass using single notes or chords.

I did try the VG-99 and it's nice, but for the price and the fact is does essentially LESS than the GR-55 for a fraction of the cost, it was real easy to choose which to keep during testing. The VG-99 is great if you only play guitar, or only play bass which is a similar, but different unit instead of the same like the GR-55. The VG has many more guitar/bass performance effects and "gimmicks" than the GR, but the GR allows you to have your real guitar while having independent control of two synth modules that can be anything, plus modeled instruments like electric, acoustic guitars & basses, and each has a signal path for independent FX or "must use same" FX chains. Then there are all the MIDI in & out controls you get which is a really long story.

My only "complaint" although I understand the reason...is that you cannot MIDI IN to this unit. In other words, you cannot use a keyboard controller or any other external non-GK-3 input source to access any of the internal sounds. I guess Roland thought this way to keep people from buying it and hooking it up to any other non-Roland MIDI device. Considering what it can do and the price - I think that is a fair trade.

**Especially for JTV owners - this unit is the perfect add-on to any Variax guitar. It fills in where the Variax leaves off, plus the combination of sounds is astounding!
            Take care,
            Neal

Comment

• And speaking of OcalaMusician...(a/k/a/ Neal Vanderhoof)...I've edited and posted his "Line 6 POD HD Startup Guide," which has a lot of useful information for those who want to get to know the HD series of effects.

I'm currently editing an audio example/video that shows how you can augment a basic amp sound dramatically by adding just a couple effects, hopefully it will be posted later tonight.
              N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• And here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESb4F00oX10

Comment

• Line 6 announced new James Tyler Variax models today. Here's another link to some additional new models.

I assume this means the JT Variaxes are doing well, and they want to cast a wider net.

Comment

View Post

Line 6 announced new James Tyler Variax models today. Here's another link to some additional new models.

I assume this means the JT Variaxes are doing well, and they want to cast a wider net.

Not sure, but I know from my past experiences that there was quite a hullabaloo (never get to use that word much..LOL) about the 69 having a HSS setup instead of the SSS mag pup setup. I'm a weird one, I love my 700s with no mag pups and could care less what mag pups are on any of the JTV guitars since I always use the modeling when using any Variax guitar. I know why the mag pups were added, but now with these additions, I'm not sure of the JTV line is doing really well, or it was a less expensive choice to try just swapping mag pups out instead of working on the software which is what i have the hardest time dealing with from Line 6. Several dozen compaints about the new HD Acoustic models and does Line 6 offer the original acoustic models as an option ...nope. They just portioned about 20% (0-2 out of 0-10) of the tone knob to a drier sound than the original 1.81 model set and called it 1.82. Nothing else was different or has been different from the 1.71 original Variax banks of modeled electric and acoustic guitars.

I begged for the original bank be added into the Custom Bank 1 which is nothing not found on the guitar in other slots, didn't happen. I've lately suggested offering model packs like they do for POD Farm, and give US the choice of which guitars we want or don't want. Line 6 has many acoutic models found ONLY on the AC700 guitar model, and as I already stated the original acoustic models can oly be used if you roll back the JTV software to any version prior to 1.81. However, you lose the added functionality of locking off the Volume, Tone, and Selector Switch when using dual inputs from the VDI connection into the POD HD500 or HD PRO locking out control over the modeled guitar while stil allowing the Mag Pup vol/tone knobs to work as well as a choice to use those same vol/tone knobs as controllers for wet/dry mix, amp gain, delay feedback or length, and any other variable contolled amp or FX paramter you can think of you might wish to have on the guitar instead of at your feet.

Personally I've found the most useful on the guitar to be the Amp Gain via Volume knob, and FX wet/dry mix using the tone knob when I do create a patch that needs additional contollers other than my two foot pedals. but the things I've always liked about Line 6 is giving choices. They did with this concept, but yet are not giving choices they could easily do with modeled guitars?? I'm stumped at this decision.

On a separate topic - the video looks terrific as does your work on my POD HD Start-Up guide!!! I wrote you a personal message and I look forward to hearing back when you have the time to respond. Thanks so much for everything Craig!!!!
                    Take care,
                    Neal

Comment

View Post

Craig - have you done much or any experimenting with the cabinets/Mics and the Cabinet parameters? I've found that setting the POD HD output to Studio/Direct for ALL application including L6 Link to a DT amp will give you more DSP power by using all pre only amp models, yet still having function controls over the cabinet choice, the cabinet resonance, and the microphone choice and room depth. All these work in Studio/Direct output while only using a fraction of the DSP that "Full" models chew up without getting any better results or even any sonically different results as long as the output on page 3 of 10 (I think) is set to Studio/Direct output.

If this intrigues you, I'd like to add to the Guide these functions & choices and what happens with several examples to show what your simple video shows just by adding some simple delay and EQ to a dual amp patch.
                      Take care,
                      Neal

Comment

View Post

Line 6 announced new James Tyler Variax models today. Here's another link to some additional new models.

JTV 69S = SSS format vs JTV 69 = HSS format, is the only difference I can see. And the JTV 59P has P90 soap bars instead of humbuckers.

Are there any other differences, I wonder?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by LarryLion
                          View Post

JTV 69S = SSS format vs JTV 69 = HSS format, is the only difference I can see. And the JTV 59P has P90 soap bars instead of humbuckers.

Are there any other differences, I wonder?

No other differences whatsoever. See my post #324 for a more detailed explanation.
                          Take care,
                          Neal

Comment

• I don't know about the new Variaxs - I'm pretty old school so I'll stick to my old faithful JTV69 (I've had it a month or so now!)

Comment

• Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this useful and educational thread.

I am considering purchasing the Dream Rig. My local music stores don't stock the JTV guitars. I was able to try out a JTV-69 for about an hour on a recent trip. The store didn't have any other models or HD500's in stock. I was plugged directly into a Fender Super-Sonic amp.

It seems that the 69 is the most popular model. I found the neck on the 69 too chunky near the body for my taste. I also noticed some tracking glitches. Perhaps these were attributable to the setup. A couple of posts in this thread indicated that raising the bridge can help.

I've read that the 89 has a slimmer, Ibanez-like, neck. It looks like Neal has one along with his 59. A few questions for him and anyone else who has tried an 89:

1. How is the build quality compared to a 59 and 69? Do you think the $100 increments in pricing are just based on the prices the equivalent name brands command? I've read the electronics are all the same other than different preset tunings on the 89.

2. Does the 89 track well with a low action setup? I am using XL 110's on my current guitar which I think are the same as the factory-supplied strings on the JTVs.

3. How do the Acoustic and Jazz guitar models sound on the 89 compared to the 59 or 69?

4. Any particular tests you would run when you demo a model to look for defects? (I've read some people have had problems with sticking switches or knobs.)

5. Is there a significant weight difference among the 3 models? The L6 site doesn't list weight on the Specifications pages.

I like the idea of having two full octaves and it's a more useful feature for me than the whammy bar.

I think I can get my local Guitar Center to bring one in for me but this may involve putting down a deposit. I'd like to be fairly confident about the purchase before doing that. I appreciate any input.

Comment

View Post

And speaking of OcalaMusician...(a/k/a/ Neal Vanderhoof)...I've edited and posted his "Line 6 POD HD Startup Guide," which has a lot of useful information for those who want to get to know the HD series of effects.

I'm currently editing an audio example/video that shows how you can augment a basic amp sound dramatically by adding just a couple effects, hopefully it will be posted later tonight.

TGIF guys ,

Been following the forums for a bit and noted the opportune time to join the fray as we just started posting a series of articles for programming the HD. The context is quite a bit different but hopefully complementary to what you are doing here with audio , screenshots and the like...

Shouts & regards, Tk

Comment

Working...
                                X