Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about custom tuning on the guitar. Is it possible to dial in the 5 string banjo and then set up a tuning like this?...

Low E string- OFF (no sound)

Low A string.. tuned up to a high G note (as if first string 3rd fret.. a huge jump)

D.. as is

G.. as is

B... as is

E.. as is

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
      View Post

Wow, you're brave...maybe someone from Line 6 could comment as to whether you'd be biting off more than you can chew...

We did it!

The piezo pu leads were swapped successfully AND the modeling knob was rotated 180° so I can see the white dot and know what model I'm on. A general conversion to left-handedness and I'm rockin' like a geologist!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

Wow, you're brave...maybe someone from Line 6 could comment as to whether you'd be biting off more than you can chew...

We did it!

The piezo pu leads were swapped successfully AND the modeling knob was rotated 180° so I can see the white dot and know what model I'm on. A general conversion to left-handedness and I'm rockin' like a geologist!

Comment

• Im interested in the JTVs, but don't know which model would suit me best. Unfortunately, my local stores don't stock higher end products so testing is tough. I mainly play either a custom made strat on rock or funk gigs and an Ibanez Artist semi hollow for jazz or fusion or classic R&B.

My question is twofold: 1. would you say fender models sound better from the paul style guitar, or short scale models from the longer neck? 2. Does it feel better playing an acoustic or arch top on the paul or is it just as comfortable with the fender body style?

I realize this is highly subjective, but maybe someone who's been playing a long time like me could give their opinion.

Thanks!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Bill lorentzen
            View Post

1. would you say fender models sound better from the paul style guitar, or short scale models from the longer neck? 2. Does it feel better playing an acoustic or arch top on the paul or is it just as comfortable with the fender body style?

Each model sounds the same from emulation because all the sound happens in the DSP. Although with JTV-69 you get a typical strat-style 5-postition switcher and single coils (magnetic), so you can use them beside the emulation to get that sound. Playing acoustic sounds more depends on playing technique and strings than on the body style. I've played JTV-69 only. It's quite heavy but for me that body style is the most comfortable. Well, I'm strat-man

Regards,

Jacek

Comment

• Thanks Jacek. Even though I can get a decent sound for jazz on my strat, it just doesn't feel the same as my semi-hollow. I guess I need to play them myself to understand. Thanks!

Comment

• Bookum

Did you ever figure this out? I'd like to do the same thing, but I suspect that there is no "ordinary" way to do this, since the Workbench only allows one octave pitch changes on the strings, up or down.

Generally, it would be great to know if anyone has successfully "hacked" the Variax to allow turning strings on or off, and changing string pitch beyond the +/- 12 frets (octave) limits.

Cheers

Comment

• This is a question for Line 6: Why haven't you made any nylon string acoustic models? Would I be correct in guessing that the sustain on steel strings is too long for it to sound authentic?

Comment

• I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this Pro Review, I have been playing guitar for about two years now and have had a POD HD500 for about a year, and honestly it has spent most of its time in the box. I played with it some when I got it but felt it was (is) to complicated for me to figure out. I revisit it from time to time trying to figure out how to get good sounds from it. I have been drooling over the JTV59 and finances are such that I was able to place an order for one Friday and it should be here next week.

The reason I bought the Variax, is because Ive been playing an acoustic (I almost gave up on the electric guitar because I could never get the sound I keep hearing in my head to come out of the amp) and I really want to play acoustic and electric without have to carry around 4 guitars everywhere I go. I have a Fishman SA220 and plugged the HD500 into it today and wow, the sound is great. For some reason I never tried that before.

My Question is is there a "Dream Rig For Dummies" book that I could get or I even questioned Line 6 about giving a class or seminar that I could go to for a week or weekend to learn how to utilize all this great gear. They of course said no and did not further elaborate. I only have two pieces of the puzzle, but will try to complete the package after the first of the year, but if I cant figure out where to start and I am fearing that I have spent my money on a very nice electric; acoustic guitar, which is not bad by no means but I want to utilize this equipment to hopefully be good enough to play live in a cover band.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh and please keep this great review going I have learned alot just by reading this post. ie: I hooked the POD to my Fishman. Again thanks for your time in doing this.

Stout

Comment

• Stout,

Not so big a deal...if you can get a DT25 amp next- just connect the Pod HD500 to the DT amp thru the line 6 link. Then, anything you do in the HD500 plays thru the DT amp and has the tone of a real tube amp. The only control you will need on the DT amp is the master volume otherwise the HD500 is controlling everything including program changes to the JTV guitar (hopefully you are using the Variax -VDI connection from the JTV to the HD500). So now one press of a button on the HD500 can change your JTV guitar and its setting, the HD500 itself (amp, cabinet and effects settings), and the DT 25 amp affecting its Class A or AB, NFL topology (negative feedback loop "type"), and pentode or triode of the output tube(s). Basically, one button press controls everything!

I program all my presets on the HD500 with JTV choice and settings. I have them set up now in standard tuning. But if you should get into alternate tunings, you could conceivably set up 512 tunings as well. This is what makes all this seem so complicated. There is so much you can do with these tools! So Let's keep it simple...Do ALL of your programming using Line 6 Edit. You won't need to make changes using the HD 500 except if you want to use the Utilities section which can be reached by holding the view button. Otherwise everything else is in Line 6 Edit- laid out quite elegantly... It is all there in front of you on the computer screen.

I also put DT25 information in each program so that when I make a change on the HD500 to another patch (Preset)- The JTV and the DT25 follow the way I have planned. (All this is provided you are using the VDI connection from JTV to Pod and the Line 6 link from Pod to DT amp). And, JTV and DT info can easily be programmed using the Line 6 Edit as well as your HD500 stuff.

The only difficult hardware to master is the Pod HD500. Fortunately for you, you have had it for a year and are probably familiar with a lot of the features and how to work it. By the way, be sure you watch ALL of Line 6's Pod HD500 videos. they also have a few JTV and DT25 videos. and, Line 6 has at least 2 Sean Halley videos out now just for some cool Dream Rig setups. Also, you can learn a lot about the HD500 by trying other people's programs, try...Customtone.com

For your acoustic programs stay connected to your Fishman amp thru the direct outs of the HD500 (XLR Out). Then it is a matter of turning Master Volume up on the Fishman, and DT Master Volume down. Sean Halley's first 'Dream- Rig' video shows you how to program this using volume pedals (in a dual-path preset for electric and acoustic guitars) so you can keep the Master Volumes of both amps where you like. This is enough for you to get started.

If you like, you can download some of my programs at Customtone.com, my name there is drfunk. I am not a great programmer, but I think many of these will get you in the ballpark for various sounds you may be looking for... Including some acoustics which may even sound decent thru the DT amp. Always be prepared to tweak any tones so they lend themselves to your own style, string gauge, choice of JTV guitars, and anything else you like for your own Flavor.

I have discovered that I like to go out of the HD500 in stereo to 2 amps. And, that sounds quite good to my ears. I am very pleased with what the JTV, HD500 and DT25 combination can do. It really is a "Dream-Rig." I hope this helps....Funky

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Bill lorentzen
                        View Post

This is a question for Line 6: Why haven't you made any nylon string acoustic models? Would I be correct in guessing that the sustain on steel strings is too long for it to sound authentic?

Line 6 did make a nylon string classical guitar model, BUT it was only available in the Variax model 700 Acoustic modeling guitar. Not available on any other model since. Why?? Not a clue, but I also never had one of those acoustic model 700 Variax acoustic modeling guitars and have no idea how good all the acoustic models other than the two banks available on all Variax guitars then and now might have sounded.

And I think you might wish to ask Line 6 this question on the Line 6 forums for the Variax guitars. If Line 6 reps don't answer, I'm certain those who had the Variax model I've mentioned will and give their impressions of all the models on that specific guitar model.
                        Take care,
                        Neal

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by OcalaMusician
                          View Post

Line 6 did make a nylon string classical guitar model, BUT it was only available in the Variax model 700 Acoustic modeling guitar. Not available on any other model since. Why?? Not a clue, but I also never had one of those acoustic model 700 Variax acoustic modeling guitars and have no idea how good all the acoustic models other than the two banks available on all Variax guitars then and now might have sounded.

And I think you might wish to ask Line 6 this question on the Line 6 forums for the Variax guitars. If Line 6 reps don't answer, I'm certain those who had the Variax model I've mentioned will and give their impressions of all the models on that specific guitar.

NYLON

Hi Neal! I had a Variax 700 acoustic a few years ago. The Nylon string instrument was pretty accurate and fun to play. I really did not mind playing it thru steel strings as that was comfortable and the tone coming out was a Nylon. They had a D21 Martin for the Dreadnaught model. That was pretty nice too, as was the Mandola. There was also an acoustic Sitar that I loved. All in all, I like the acoustics on the JTV more. I'm getting some really nice tones thru the D28 model. As far as Nylons go- the best one I ever played was on My EMU Emulator III. I played that with pitch bending on my roland master keyboard and it also sounded good thru the Roland GKII pick up on a Strat I had thru midi on my VG 8/88. I know you are familiar with all this gear too! It really is a treat playing some other instrument thru a guitar or keyboard and people listening really hear that instrument in this case a Nylon stringed inst. For recording it was the best and really sounded authentic.

I never got the VG 99 or the new GR55, do they have Nylons and how do they sound? Did you put a GK pickup on any of your JTV's to play Roland gear? This would make the the JTV even more versatile as you could trigger the entire MIDI universe! Are you in to that? What kind of results?

Funky

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Stoutgerm
                            View Post

My Question is is there a "Dream Rig For Dummies" book that I could get or I even questioned Line 6 about giving a class or seminar that I could go to for a week or weekend to learn how to utilize all this great gear.

Well, I have some good news for you. This pro review is about to go into its "second wind." I already published a quite in-depth review of the HD500 that's in the Articles Library, and we've covered the Variax and DT25 in this thread, so we've pretty much covered the individual elements. But, we also need to cover the SYSTEM element - how all this stuff works together. I happen to know of an upcoming Dream Rig development that will kick this thread up another notch, but also, will be a perfect way to discuss using all this gear together.

Furthermore, Neal (OcalaMusician) has written a very good basic article that could be called "getting to know the HD500." I will be adding material to it and expanding it, and then include some additional tutorials in this thread on using the HD500. This thread is far from over, and you'll be learning a lot more about how to use this gear in the weeks ahead.
                            Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Man that's great news indeed. I just traded in my last new guitar for a dream rig. I have been a line 6 user since the POD and was waiting on the JTV to come out when I was sidetracked by my interest in another instrument that didn't work out so well! So I'm ready, practicing again and stoked with my JTV69, POD 500 and DT25. By the way, I had the chance to try a JTV 69 US as well as a JTV 89. Vastly different necks and for my $$ the Korean JTV69 was the one. The us version just didnt seem to have $2500 more coolness. The 89 has a very thin neck, but very playable as well. I also have played on a 700 and 500 (it wasn't called a 500 when I got it), XT live and Vetta II (called the widow-maker by the guys in my band) for the last 8 or 9 years so the comparisons will be interesting for me. I have nothing but enthusiasm for Line 6.

Comment

• This is a great forum. I've throughly enjoyed reading it. I bought a HD500 about a month ago, and I picked up the DT50 2x12 yesterday. With my limited experience with the amp, it seems like the volume has to be a little too loud to have that nice warm tube sound. I'm considering either getting a power soak or returning it to get a DT25 head and cab. Can any DT25 owners attest to the "gig-worthyness" of the DT25? Does it have enough umpth to sound clear above the typical bar scene?

Also, several pages back Anderton mentioned going into EQ'ing with a little more depth. This would be most helpful. I'm at the trial and error stage of adjusting the EQ. If there could be some general EQ'ing knowledge and then focused EQ'ing on the HD500, I would be very appreciative.

Comment

Working...
                                X