No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by YosefTux
    View Post

How close to driving SM57 and SM58 is this interface?

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there is sufficient gain to handle an SM57 or SM58?
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
      View Post

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if there is sufficient gain to handle an SM57 or SM58?

Yes exactly. Specifically enough gain to use one or the other for vocals. Normal vocalist, not a screamer

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by YosefTux
        View Post

Yes exactly. Specifically enough gain to use one or the other for vocals. Normal vocalist, not a screamer

Yes, I used an SM58 when testing it, as well as an AT-3035 condenser. But I wouldn't vouch for a ribbon mic (I don't have one here for testing).
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• I/O separation during playback on firefly 808?

Equipment: Firefly 808, PC, Windows 7, Firewire connection, Magix Samplitude ProX

The problem I have (as discribed in a similar thread) is that the inputs going directly onto the output.

What I need is that the outputs are driven only by the DAW SW. Thus the inputs go into the mixer, I want to select what channels are being monitored and going to the output. Furthermore: If I play back the recording I don't want to have the mics going through the output. This is very disturbing. They should be switched off during playback unless I am routing them through the mixer onto the outputs.

I did read the thread on the phonic website and tried using the ADAT but this does not work at all. If everything is going through ADAT no signal is being routed through firewire into the mixer/PC. Furthermore playing the recorded stuff does not work anymore necause the sync with ASIO is missing.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Hi!

We recently bought one of these and one of the biggest reasons for doing so, was the reviews I read on this thread, so this seemed the perfect place to ask for some additional information. (Before bying the 808U I contacted Phonic for some pre-sale support, but as they didn't reply then, I doubt that they would now).

We've been quite happy with the unit itself and the results produced, but as one gets used to a good thing one starts to get greedy. So my question would be, how could we get even more channels? For drums 10 to 12 would be ideal and a few more wouldn't hurt.

We are using this with Pro Tool 10 on a PC connected through USB. From what I've understood Pro Tools is able to use only 1 hardware interface at a time, but by using another device connected to the Firefly via ADAT or SMUX we could add 4 to 8 channels more depending on the sample rate? Or have I misunderstood something?

As the USB connection is the only port we can use, linking another Firefly via firewire isn't an option, but by purchasing another Firefly (or similar) and connecting it to the current "primary" Firefly via a digital connection, would that enable us to add 4 to 8 more channels (on Pro Tools)?

Comment

• Seems like the easiest option would be to get an 8-channel mic pre (like the MOTU 8pre or PreSonus DigiMax D8) that terminates in an ADAT output, and simply hook that into the Firefly. Voila - eight extra channels.

Comment

• Okay, trying this again since my first account got hacked.

I recently purchased the Firefly 808, and I'm trying to sort out whether the issues I am having are indicative of a defective unit or just shortcomings of the product. The main problem is that the box doesn't seem to respond to sampling rate settings made in Sonar 8.5. Further, unless I set the sampling rate in the Firefly control panel to match Sonar before launching the program I get disconnects, lockups, and blue screens. This makes it impossible to deal with material of more than one sampling rate without a lot of rebooting.

Am I missing some sort of setting? I have the control panel set to automatic, which seems like it should then respond to what happens in the program, but that's not happening. I've tried the Firefly on two different computers now to rule out any sort of hardware conflict. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Hi SoundDsnr23

It doesn't sound like a well compatible situation for the issue you encountered, it could be driver issue or compatibility issue

between program and our ASIO driver.

But please try a driver re-install using the drivers from the following link

http://210.243.85.26/beta/distributor/Phonic_FF808U.rar

We think you know it but it's worth to mention again that please select the Phonic ASIO driver for your DAW use! (Always

install the driver BEFORE connecting device.)

The sampling rate setting should be bi-directional which means you are able to adjust sampling rate in your DAW or your

control panel without specific sequence!

BUT we did encounter your situation when we were doing mainstream DAW compatibility testing! We found a operation

sequence-selecting sampling rate first at Phonic control panel- that's able to fix this issue. If you can select all supported

sample rate at Phonic control panel, you might have to find a specific sequence to fix this.

But we can't say it works for all DAW with same sequence.

Could you please try and tell us what you find so we may better assist you fixing this issue?

Eric

Comment

• Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Does your company not read the support entries sent in from the website? I have put in a ticket twice and gotten no reply. But I guess we can talk here.

Like I had said previously, the only way the system works is to set the sampling rate to exactly what Sonar will be configured for before I launch the program. Yes, I am using ASIO drivers in Sonar. I'm kind of shocked by this limitation, as I have been using various audio interfaces over the past 12 years and have never encountered a device that didn't mirror the settings from the DAW.

Perhaps there will be a driver update to correct this issue in the future? I will try installing the drivers from the link you sent, but they appear to be the same as the ones I already have.

Brian

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SoundDsnr23
                      View Post

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Does your company not read the support entries sent in from the website? I have put in a ticket twice and gotten no reply. But I guess we can talk here.

Like I had said previously, the only way the system works is to set the sampling rate to exactly what Sonar will be configured for before I launch the program. Yes, I am using ASIO drivers in Sonar. I'm kind of shocked by this limitation, as I have been using various audio interfaces over the past 12 years and have never encountered a device that didn't mirror the settings from the DAW.

Perhaps there will be a driver update to correct this issue in the future? I will try installing the drivers from the link you sent, but they appear to be the same as the ones I already have.

Brian

FWIW I use Sonar as my main DAW, and for testing interfaces (dozens over the years). There are times when it does seem there are communications issues, like when I set Sonar to a sampling rate and when I boot it up, it puts up a message about changing the sample rate as suggested by the driver, because the application for the sound card has it set to something else. I never really thought about it, I just set the sound card to the desired sample rate using its own application, then set the sample rate in Sonar to match it. As I don't change sample rates much, it doesn't really mess with my workflow.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Craig. I was curious, because I read that you had been using Sonar 8.5 as well. In my case it seems to be more severe. I can't really change sampling rates on the fly or the Firefly disconnects from the computer, and I have to power cycle it and restart Sonar.

Eric, I tried the new driver (it was different than the one I had once I unzipped it), and it won't install correctly. Below is the error I see when I look at the Firefly in the Device Manager.

Comment

• I should have specified that I'm using Sonar X1, which is more tolerant of interfaces than 8.5. As you may recall Sonar used to be pretty inflexible about recognizing different interfaces or sample rates, IIRC you had to restart Sonar if you made any interface changes. X1 is much better in that respect.

I should do some R&D about which interfaces and programs play nice together. For example I found that while Pro Tools will recognize non-Avid ASIO interfaces, the sample buffer has to be a multiple of 64 samples...and Sony software will recognize just about anything, but often defaults to WDM and if you want ASIO, you need to go in and specify it.

Seems more programs have some kind of quirk...

Comment

• Hi SoundDsnr23

The Phonic HELPDESK reply letters might be blocked into customers' trash-mail box sometimes, and I did reply you with same content. Anyway, the driver is slightly updated V5_22_1 version and should be compatible with Windows 7. Please right click the driver and choosing the Properties function, here you are allowed to set the driver into compatibility mode that should install driver well.

Please try and tell us here (Since you can't accept our reply on Phonic HELPDESK).

Comment

• Hey everybody! I'm having problems to use ADAT connection in my recently acquired Firefly 808 Universal. Here are the facts: 1) I'm able to use analog channels, they indicate signal on the FF808U Mixer Panel, and I can see them on Cubase; 2) I can sync with my Mixer Yamaha PM5D just fine; 3) The "in" leds on the firefly light up as I use the channels being sent to it from PM5D; 4) But... when I try to use my ADAT channels on the notebook: they don't appear on the FF808U Mixer Panel, that shows "Invalid SR", on the ADAT part. And this happens while all the leds on the FF are indicating that the ADAT connection is ok and Cubase allows to patch the ADAT channels to tracks, but there's no signal, nothing. If there's more information you need, just ask me, I don't remember anything else right now. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• I'm going to check with the product manager to make sure, but from reading your issue it seems to be a sampling rate issue. I couldn't find any kind of reference manual for the PM5D's ADAT function online, so I can't be sure exactly, but the Firefly needs to run at 44.1 or 48 kHz to run ADAT inputs properly (and I assume the Yamaha would be the same - it should be standard). SMUX (which is 4 channels rather than 8) is typically 88.2 or 96 kHz. I'd just make sure all devices are on the same page (and the computer - check the mixing software settings and the Phonic Control Panel software).

I'll get back to you with the product manager's response too, however - he may see something I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X