No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    View Post

Before proceeding...the Cakewalk auto-local control may be a feature, not a bug. I was testing out the MIDI/controller aspects of the XW-P1. When I opened Sonar Local Control was turned off, so I turned it on. But then, as soon as I created a MIDI track, there was "double triggering" from the XW-P1 step sequencer due to the notes being triggered internally, and also being triggered by Sonar's MIDI output (which was echoing data from the MIDI input).

I think the assumption is that if you're using a synthesizer with Sonar, you'll be playing MIDI from the keyboard into Sonar, and driving the sound engine from Sonar's MIDI out. That way there's no double triggering, and also, you don't have to change anything when going from record to playback in Sonar.

That sounds like a very plausible theory. I believe the architecture of the XW-P1 also plays some part in it though. I say this because when I use my Korg TR76 with Cakewalk, it refuses to talk to the computer at all unless the TR is set to Sequencer Mode. Also, occasionally, but not always, the keyboard exits unresponsive when I shut down Cakewalk, however, rebooting the TR reinitializes the keyboard.

Then again, to make things even weirder, though I haven't yet experimented with every possible permutation, in my current setup, when I select a Casio track in a composition the Casio keyboard remains unresponsive. What in fact happens is when I switch tracks in the Cakewalk Sequencer, my TR keyboard acts as controller for either/or keyboard. I haven't messed around with this much as of yet simply because I prefer having a 6-1/3 octave XW than a 5 octave keyboard. All of the XW's front panel controls still work as expected though. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say Cakewalk, at least my version, balks at having more than one input controller at a time.

Also, one other point about the arpeggiator that seems to be so obvious many overlook it, however to get to the selection and edit menus for the arpeggiator, if you want to use a specific arpeggio rather than the default, you have to press and hold the arpeggiator button until the menu appears. It's brilliantly simple to apply but not very intuitive if you are trying to figure out how to get into that menu.

Comment

• As someone who owns Roland, Yamaha, and Korg synths, I was very reluctant to buy a Casio when a trusted musician friend recommended one. I bought the CTK-6000 (at about 1/10 the price of my Roland Fantom X6 - tweaked the sound parameters - hooked it up to 2 Bose L1 systems in church - and it sounded like I was playing a Steinway and Sons grand piano!! Incredible sound for CHEAP$$$.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

Before proceeding...the Cakewalk auto-local control may be a feature, not a bug. I was testing out the MIDI/controller aspects of the XW-P1. When I opened Sonar Local Control was turned off, so I turned it on. But then, as soon as I created a MIDI track, there was "double triggering" from the XW-P1 step sequencer due to the notes being triggered internally, and also being triggered by Sonar's MIDI output (which was echoing data from the MIDI input).

I think the assumption is that if you're using a synthesizer with Sonar, you'll be playing MIDI from the keyboard into Sonar, and driving the sound engine from Sonar's MIDI out. That way there's no double triggering, and also, you don't have to change anything when going from record to playback in Sonar.

Sorry to flog a dead horse here Craig, but you should in fact alert Cakewalk that it is a bug. I managed to get the XW working with another sequencer I use, Rosegarden, and it not only restores control on exit but also allows full control while running the program. The sequencer in question is an open source program called Rosegarden in case anyone wants to try it. It's primarily used in Linux but Windows binaries are available as well. If anyone has any questions about using it or configuring it for the XW-P1 just mention it and I'll try and point you to a few instructional videos and resources.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
          View Post

Muf >>> So what you're saying is you change patterns every measure? I'd really like to hear what you're playing to get that kind of result.

Most popular music these days is anywhere between 4 to 8 to 12 to 16 bars of the same rhythm followed by another 4 to 8 bars of whatever chorus followed by yet another stanza by yet another chorus or twice again.

Any chance you could post one of your tunes here to give us an idea of what you're talking about?

hi happyrat1, I've attached xw-p1 package file (you have to change the extension from .zip to .zpk) and mp3.

It is quite a simple song Electricity from early 80's from band O.M.D., but I've used 99 steps in chain and I had to shorten some parts.

You can watch the original version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43XLVqjytQ

The question is if I could do it in some better or more effective way or I should better use external sequencer (which I'm planning to use anyway). But I'd like to be able to play as many songs as possible without computer.

Let me know if the package file is OK. I have no idea how could I test it.

Comment

• OK. I think the problem here is that you are trying to use the Step Sequencer as a full blown MIDI sequencer. It was never really designed to do that. It was designed as something more like an intelligent Rhythm Ace or Drum Sequencer. ie. It's meant to provide programmable accompaniment for live performances.

From what I saw in the MP3 , the xylophone and organ parts could be programmed into the arpeggiator or phrase recorder if you wanted to automate those and they'd automatically follow your chord and key changes during a live performance.

The step sequencer would be used to automate and chain the bassline and percussion only.

Otherwise, if you are looking to record an entire performance, then you're pretty much stuck with using a tablet or a netbook or some sort of computer to record the whole thing verbatim.

At least that's my understanding of the reasoning and design behind the step sequencer. It's not a full blown multitrack MIDI sequencer. Perhaps Craig or Mike could set us both straight on this once they return from vacation?

Regards,

Gary

Comment

View Post

OK. I think the problem here is that you are trying to use the Step Sequencer as a full blown MIDI sequencer. It was never really designed to do that...Perhaps Craig or Mike could set us both straight on this once they return from vacation?

I'm not Mike, and I'm not on vacation, but I agree with your assessment. The Step Sequencer is 16 steps and designed to produce complete patterns suitable for live accompaniment or when recording, to be a whole lot more fun than a metronome .

You can chain the patterns together and create longer pieces, but really, that's an extremely tedious approach compared to using a standard MIDI sequencer.
              N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• hi Gary and Craig, after spending "few" hours creting the chains I have to agree with you. Thank you both for your advice.

Regards,

Hynek

Comment

• Is the software editor available on iPad? If not, when is that coming? Seems like an amazing way to get more control over the synth engine ... Keep it performance oriented with large target buttons and scrollable desktops ... Can't wait to until I get mine Wednesday or so ...

I'm wondering why I can't find any videos showing the an iPad and Xw-P1(G1) together ... It would be cool to play another synth on the iPad like iMS20 and feed it into external input to create it would seem some really rich and complicated sounds ...
                  NEW ALBUM RELEASE ... THE END OF TECHNOLOGY ...

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

• No, the editor is not available on iPad. That being said, there are many app such as TouchOSC that will allow you to manipulate aspects of the XW over MIDI. I'll plan on doing a XW iPad video soon.
                    -Mike Martin
                    Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Will the editor become available on iPad? Unless there's some technical limitation, it would be a major shame not to happen ...

Looking forward to seeing the video ...

What I'd like to view is something like iMS20, maybe iMaschine or Electribe app being fed into external oscillator ...

And then maybe a little recording into Garageband or whatever ...

To me, XW-P1+iPad+interface (preferably ioDock) is like 11-pound sub-$1000 touchscreen Neko ...

Who's idea was it to include the iPad pad? Another bit of brilliance ...

Two sequencers? Madness !!!

The only thing I learned tonight that disappointed me tonight was there's not digital oscillators creating the sound in solo synth but PCM samples ... I guess what matters is results, though ... And I'm really looking forward to diving in ...

BTW ... Even in the manual it does not seem like there's a list of PCM waveform anywhere ... Is there?

In addition ... I think for these synths and keyboards the company should its name to Sioca ... The Sioca XW-P1 ... The Sioca Privia .. It's almost beautiful ... Would give you free publicity in the music press like when Datsun went to Nissan (although in some parts of the world they are apparently bringing back the Datsun name lol ... )

http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/releases ... Introspective future/retro pop dealing with themes of authoritarianism, apocalypse and alcohol ...

Featuring "Hot Mess," "Hateful Little Rapper," "Ladio GaGa" and "Somewhere in Time."

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Caligvla
                        View Post

BTW ... Even in the manual it does not seem like there's a list of PCM waveform anywhere ... Is there?

Go to the Casio support section, and download the XW-P1 appendix. It has all the waveforms listed, as well as drum mappings to the keyboard and all the factory preset names and locations. It's well worth printing out as a reference.

There's also a separate document that covers the MIDI implementation in detail.
                        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Super ... thanks ... (seems like a very comprehensive list of waves ... )

Got my iPad2 today ... P1 arrives on Wednesday ... I can't imagine how anyone could leave that rubberized space blank considering that original iPads and 2s go for peanuts now (I have nothing against Android tablets but they just don't seem to attracting any kind of serious music app development ... I particularly like the Korg iMS20 and iElectribe apps ... ) ... And how the P1 and G1 really seem to make terrific use of external sound sources ... Not to mention the DAW possibilities ...

(I may be getting ahead of myself a bit, as this P1 solution was just to keep me busier while recuperating in bed with a knee inury ... But I have this weird fantasy of being so satisfied with this unique setup as to sell off my fully expanded Fantom X7 and possibly even V-Synth XT ... ) The P1 plus iPad plus Alesis ioDock is probably the ultimate less-is-more music workstation ...

I've been a fan of Casio's Privia line for years ... Heaven's knows when i worked at GC a few years ago I sold mountains of them vs. the comparable Yamaha models ... For the price, sound and action, it was always my first choice in the low-end category ...

Comment

• Found a semi-rigid case made by Gator for a 49 keys keyboard. $132.00 Later, Ray

Comment

• Define "semi-rigid?" Got a link? I'm sure a lot of people are interested.

Gary

Comment

View Post

Define "semi-rigid?" Got a link? I'm sure a lot of people are interested.

Gary

Stiff foam. Got it from Musicians Friend. It's made for 49 keys and small 61 keys. Later, Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X