No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by kbeaumont
    View Post

The XW-P1 can playback midi files, you might use a laptop and a DAW of your choice to create them. Or connect an iPad and use garage band.

I'm not 100% sure on this but unless someone else can prove me wrong, this is not a solution. When the XW-P1 is in MIDI playback mode, the actual keyboard is disabled.

This limitation can be overcome if you use an iPad or a Laptop to run an external sequencer while you play along or record a track.

What I'm curious about is how muf thinks 99 patterns is a limitation. Unless you are playing a different pattern in every single measure for over 100 measures I honestly can't see any real life application where this would present a problem.

Realistically in just about every song ever written patterns tend to repeat anywhere from 4 to 8 measures per stanza and simply looping the primitives of each measure for the appropriate number of repeats should fit the bill for almost any tune you could possibly dream up.

BTW, while we're on the subject of the sequencers and the pattern sequencer, I have a quick question for Mike or Craig. If I hit a sour note during the recording of a pattern, how do I reset or edit it on the keyboard short of turning off and restarting the keyboard? I assume it has something to do with pressing and holding the pattern button but I haven't tried that yet.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
      View Post

BTW, while we're on the subject of the sequencers and the pattern sequencer, I have a quick question for Mike or Craig. If I hit a sour note during the recording of a pattern, how do I reset or edit it on the keyboard short of turning off and restarting the keyboard? I assume it has something to do with pressing and holding the pattern button but I haven't tried that yet.

Recording a Pattern or a Phrase? If you're recording steps into a pattern, when it loops around simply hit the correct note and it will be replaced. You could also press the switch and turn off the bad note on the offending step and again re-record it. You could also use Step Edit to fix the note.

If you're recording a Phrase, there isn't any editing...it is all in real-time. There is never a reason to turn off the keyboard. Just press the Play/Stop button and when you press REC again choose to do a NEW phrase instead of Overdub.
      -Mike Martin
      Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Just an FYI, I'm going to be away from the forum for the next week. Taking a long overdue vacation with the family. I'm uploading one more tutorial video tonight which I'll be linking here in a few minutes then I'm disconnecting from the internet for a little while.
        -Mike Martin
        Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Right, I was thinking phrase. I got my mords wixed up

Have a nice vacation. Thanks Mike,

Gary

Comment

• Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfg9GQis--o
            -Mike Martin
            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Mike, have a great vacation. I promise I won't blow the description of how Performances work in your absence.

But to compensate for Mike taking off for a bit, I have some good news: I have an XW-G1 here and have been working with it. Although pro reviews are really supposed to be limited to a single product unless indicated otherwise, I can't resist getting into the G1...it has a lot in common with the P1, but there are some significant differences. It'll be fun!
              Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
                View Post

What I'm curious about is how muf thinks 99 patterns is a limitation. Unless you are playing a different pattern in every single measure for over 100 measures I honestly can't see any real life application where this would present a problem.

I'm not playing different pattern in every single measure. In fact I have from 6 to 10 different patterns for single song. Pleas look at this example:

Pattern 1 Tone B

Pattern 2 Tone B

Pattern 1 Tone D

Pattern 2 Tone D

Pattern 1 Tone G

Pattern 2 Tone G

It is 2 patterns only but it takes 6 measures in chain.

I know I can use external sequencer and I'm gonna use DAW and VST's in future, but not right now. I'm a programmer and I don't want the turning on my computer to be the first thing what I do when I come home from office. I just want to play. Does it make sense?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                  View Post

Mike, have a great vacation. I promise I won't blow the description of how Performances work in your absence.

But to compensate for Mike taking off for a bit, I have some good news: I have an XW-G1 here and have been working with it. Although pro reviews are really supposed to be limited to a single product unless indicated otherwise, I can't resist getting into the G1...it has a lot in common with the P1, but there are some significant differences. It'll be fun!

Hey Craig,

I'm very interested in your review of the XW-P1 and really looking forward to your thoughts XW-G1 as well. I don't have either one but am very interested in these two keyboards and have been trying to figure out the differences between the two (besides the looping features on the G1. I'll be tuning in to hear your thoughts.

Comment

• Muf >>> So what you're saying is you change patterns every measure? I'd really like to hear what you're playing to get that kind of result.

Most popular music these days is anywhere between 4 to 8 to 12 to 16 bars of the same rhythm followed by another 4 to 8 bars of whatever chorus followed by yet another stanza by yet another chorus or twice again.

Any chance you could post one of your tunes here to give us an idea of what you're talking about?

Comment

• Muf >>> Actually I've been giving it some thought and I might have a workaround for ya. Why not set up the patterns as a bank of user patterns and switch them on the fly with a single button push? It might even be possible to switch them with the assignable foot switch using a pedal?

Comment

• hi happyrat1, thank you for your effort to help me. I'm taking vacation for next 10 days but when I come back I try to create the XW-P1 package (performance + sequences + chain) and I post it here.

Comment

• Hello Mike, I'm writing from Italy and I apologize now if my English is not perfect. I hope I make myself understood. I bought a few months XW P1 to be included in my setup and I'm very glad I did. Is really powerful! But I have a problem. The Casio is used in the slave and controlled by a MIDI Roland E60. I can control all the functions I want, except the "start stop" arpeggiator that I can not start from the Roland and the change of chords arpeggiator, that I can not remotely control. I tried everything but can not find solutions. Can you help? Thank you!

Comment

• I´m getting into crossroads, while surfing the web looking for a nice full size, semiweighted 61-keys midi controller 4 my home studio (Novation Impulse 6 its my first option, AKAI MPK61 my 2nd); I found out ´bout this beauty, and I have to admit that the XW captured me, can´t wait next week to give it a try, wheter @GC or @Samash. This keyboard really got my attention, Now I wonder if the XW-P1; with its knob buttons and sliders, can be used as a midi master controller for my home-set, that includes mac with ableton, studio-one, protools, and a variety of libraries.

This beauty looks like a gigfully reliable keyboard. Could anyone give me a hint... i have a really small budget, and want to make a good investment, what´s best? Plz Help me and guide me... Thanks

Comment

• First of all the keys are not semi weighted nor weighted at all. They are velocity sensitive with no aftertouch. That said however, they are nice solid keys with a synth action and have decent response.

Secondly, for gigging, I would have to say that while my machine never leaves my home studio, I'd have to say it's very lightweight but solid. Casio has been making portable plastic keyboards for decades and they've pretty much perfected the knack of molding a plastic chassis that can withstand a lot of abuse. My biggest worry would be knocking off a slider or a knob if this thing were to be constantly shipped from gig to gig, but if you are planning to do that you should invest in a good hard shelled case anyway.

Thirdly, as a controller I believe it can function in that respect though in my setup I have the opposite. I use a Korg TR76 as the controller and control the XW-P1 with the 7 octave keyboard.

Lastly, I have to say that for a performance keyboard, it's well designed, nicely laid out, and can produce an infinite number of phat, insane, screaming synth sounds as well as all the funky drawbar organ and hex mode and PCM sounds anyone could ask for. You'd be very hard pressed to find anything else out there that could provide as much bang for the buck.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by The GreatZoltar
                                View Post

Hello Mike, I'm writing from Italy and I apologize now if my English is not perfect. I hope I make myself understood. I bought a few months XW P1 to be included in my setup and I'm very glad I did. Is really powerful! But I have a problem. The Casio is used in the slave and controlled by a MIDI Roland E60. I can control all the functions I want, except the "start stop" arpeggiator that I can not start from the Roland and the change of chords arpeggiator, that I can not remotely control. I tried everything but can not find solutions. Can you help? Thank you!

Welcome, Zoltar! Or maybe I should say "benvento nel forum!" I'm not Mike (he's on a well-deserved vacation with his family), but I'll try to help although I don't have a Roland here for testing.

1. Push Setting, scroll down to MIDI, then press Enter.

2. Turn everything on (MIDI In, Sync Mode to slave if you want to start from the Roland, Perform, S. Seq, Phrase, Arp).

3. Exit back out.

4. Now (very important!) turn the power off to the XW-P1 then turn it back on again. This is important for the keyboard to recognize any changes you've made to the MIDI parameters.

Does it work now? I was able to get it to work by sending start and stop commands from Sonar. If you don't want something to sync, turn off whatever you don't want in Step 2.
                                Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Working...
                                X