Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

NAMM Coverage--What Do You Want To See?

Hey everybody--
As the years have gone on and more and more outlets are covering the NAMM show each year, we thought it would be a good idea to take the pulse of the community and find out what you like and don't like about the way NAMM is covered, not only by HC but in general. Obviously, we want to do more of the former and less of the latter.

For several years now, the focus has been on producing the short, from-the-floor demos and product overviews with folks from each manufacturer. Sometimes quantity is placed above quality, but the goal has always been to show you as much of the show and new products as possible.

Oftentimes, producing so many videos means late nights in the hotel room with room service, editing and rendering until the wee hours. As you probably know, there's a whole other side to NAMM, which is what goes on after hours at private events and parties, and our focus on show-floor videos means we really don't take part in any of that.

So, we're putting it to you. When NAMM rolls around in January, what's going to get you excited and make you feel like you're part of the action? Continue to crank out product vids? Less video, more photographs? After-hours coverage? Celebrity encounters/performances? Let us know!

We welcome your thoughts and suggestions and are looking forward to Harmony Central being the premier destination for NAMM coverage in 2015.
See more
See less

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard it mentioned requests are taken, so, in the next batch of sounds could you throw in a few HEX splits por favor? Attached is one for the kitty. You'll have to unhide file extensions in folder options and change it to a .zlt file because the uploader won't allow me to upload that particular filetype, however it will allow me to upload an mp3, which is what it has been changed to.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.</div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky
      View Post

So I loaded a .mid song into Anvil, changed the GM MIDI instruments to tones I like, and played it on the XW-P1 player, viola, it worked...thank you happyrat...now for the strangeness. I have 771 .mid files on the SD card, I futzed with the first one so I didn't have to scroll alot (which is painfully slow) - "18 and Life". Well, when I entered PLAYER MODE Part 1 was on SOLO SYNTH which is the tone I had it set to previous to entering PLAYER MODE, but I could not mess with the tone nor change the tone using the sliders or wheel. When I forwarded the song, then came back to it, I no longer was in SOLO SYNTH mode as it was changed to a GM patch (distortion guitar I think)...I think this happened because Part I of the next song was a GM, and once the player plays a GM in Part I, then it's stuck in GM, I tested this theory by forwarding through songs with no Part I parts and it stayed in SOLO SYNTH until I got to a song with a GM in Part I...Additionally if that wasn't strange enough, all the songs on the SD card were changed, their parts mimicked what I did with with "18 and Life" (though 1999 in flute did sound cool)...So that's where I'm at, any answers would be greatly appreciated...I still can't understand why I can't use the the mixer to edit the parts in PLAYER MODE, as that would seem like the simplest fix...I'm assuming what I'm doing is not the intended purpose of the Smf player, if that were so I thought there'd be much more functionality, so, what is the intended use in that case?

Honestly, I've never had an opportunity to use Player mode. If I were to use Player mode, I'd modify my .MID files in advance and remove anything on track / MIDI channel 1 and potentially 2-4 as well. Stock MIDI files that you download from the web are going to have patch change information embedded in them. This may vary depending on where the files came from but anything that has MIDI data on MIDI channel one will likely interfere with whatever you're going to attempt to play live on top of the sequence.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">-Mike Martin<br>Casio America, Inc.<br><br><a href="http://www.casiomusicforums.com" target="_blank">Casio Music Forums</a><br><a href="http://www.soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear" target="_blank">PX-5S Audio Demos</a><br><a href="http://xwsynth.wordpress.com" target="_blank">XW Synth Blog</a></div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by marku70
        View Post

- Want to confirm that rotary speed cannot be controlled by a foot pedal (from manual did not look like that parameter was included). You can control it with one end button switch on WK-3000 but only in certain modes and layers complicate that. The XW-P1 looks like the dedicated rotary buttons are nice addition to not mess with other DSP button in middle of tune.

It can be done in a Performance. Edit a Performance and in the Controllers section you can change the footswitch input from HOLD to Rotary, Slow / Fast.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">-Mike Martin<br>Casio America, Inc.<br><br><a href="http://www.casiomusicforums.com" target="_blank">Casio Music Forums</a><br><a href="http://www.soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear" target="_blank">PX-5S Audio Demos</a><br><a href="http://xwsynth.wordpress.com" target="_blank">XW Synth Blog</a></div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
          View Post

Honestly, I've never had an opportunity to use Player mode. If I were to use Player mode, I'd modify my .MID files in advance and remove anything on track / MIDI channel 1 and potentially 2-4 as well. Stock MIDI files that you download from the web are going to have patch change information embedded in them. This may vary depending on where the files came from but anything that has MIDI data on MIDI channel one will likely interfere with whatever you're going to attempt to play live on top of the sequence.

Actually Mike wouldn't it make more sense to just switch the XW-P1's internal MIDI channel to a different channel from the Settings Menu rather than trying to reserve CH01 on every MIDI file you load in?

Also I'd like to raise again my earlier question of whether or not it's possible to play back or compose a MIDI file using the Solo Synth/Drawbar Organ/Hex Mode PCM sounds all at once or does the keyboard, as I suspect, default to the closest PCM equivalents when playing back a multitrack MIDI?

Either way I plan to experiment a bit with this stuff tonight.

And once again, many thanks for the INS file. I saw it posted on your XW Blog Page but are there any plans to put it on the official XW support download page as well? I think it deserves a permanent link for when this becomes a legacy synth after all the marketing hype dies down.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

• While trying to recreate the intro to "You Can Feel It All Over" I came up with another split...enjoy if you'd like...same as before, you must change file extension back to .zlt from .mp3.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.</div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
              View Post

Actually Mike wouldn't it make more sense to just switch the XW-P1's internal MIDI channel to a different channel from the Settings Menu rather than trying to reserve CH01 on every MIDI file you load in?

The Solo Synth, Hex Layers and Drawbar organ can only operate on MIDI channel 1.

Also I'd like to raise again my earlier question of whether or not it's possible to play back or compose a MIDI file using the Solo Synth/Drawbar Organ/Hex Mode PCM sounds all at once or does the keyboard, as I suspect, default to the closest PCM equivalents when playing back a multitrack MIDI?

It is possible, but again only on MIDI channel 1. Also, if a MIDI file sends a program change number without a bank change, it will revert to a GM tone.

And once again, many thanks for the INS file. I saw it posted on your XW Blog Page but are there any plans to put it on the official XW support download page as well? I think it deserves a permanent link for when this becomes a legacy synth after all the marketing hype dies down.

I'm note sure what you mean by marketing hype, but the blog site isn't going anywhere. It's really just getting started. I've sent the .INS file to Tokyo as they control the content on the support website. I don't know how soon it will get posted there which is one of the reasons I created the blog site in the first place, it is immediate.

Comment

• I was really excited about the player, one man banding it and all, so let me be specific in my question - Theoretically, is selecting specific GM sounds for individual tracks which make up *.mid files (created by something other than the XW-P1) on the XW-P1 through the mixer possible through a firmware update?

Comment

• Gneissnfunky,

Program changes need to occur in the MIDI file. If the program/bank changes are in the MIDI file you have full access to all of the XW's sounds, not just the GM bank.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                    View Post

Gneissnfunky,

Program changes need to occur in the MIDI file. If the program/bank changes are in the MIDI file you have full access to all of the XW's sounds, not just the GM bank.

So is that a yes on a firmware update?

Comment

• You don't need a firmware update to do what you want to do. Just embed program changes in the MID file you're feeding to the XW-G1. That's what I did for the audio examples to call up the different programs.
                      There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• I think I'll have to wait for a video tutorial one of these days...I do not know how to embed program changes in .mid files...everything I do with the XW-P1 I do with the onboard display...thanks anyway.

Comment

View Post

I think I'll have to wait for a video tutorial one of these days...I do not know how to embed program changes in .mid files...everything I do with the XW-P1 I do with the onboard display...thanks anyway.

You said you're using Mixcraft, right? That's where you'd embed the program changes, then you'd export the file as a Standard MIDI (.MID) file. When it's driving the XW-P1, the programs will change as instructed by the .MID file.

Next time I boot up Mixcraft, I'll write up some tips on how to embed program changes. We'll get you through this!
                          There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Wow, that would be really helpful...thanks in advance.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                              View Post

You said you're using Mixcraft, right? That's where you'd embed the program changes, then you'd export the file as a Standard MIDI (.MID) file. When it's driving the XW-P1, the programs will change as instructed by the .MID file.

Next time I boot up Mixcraft, I'll write up some tips on how to embed program changes. We'll get you through this!

Does a standard *.MID file keep proprietary bank and patch changes internally? I thought the second you saved anything to *.MID you lost the patch info and it reverted to GM patches?

Comment

View Post

I think I'll have to wait for a video tutorial one of these days...I do not know how to embed program changes in .mid files...everything I do with the XW-P1 I do with the onboard display...thanks anyway.

Here's two brief articles on the various MIDI standard file formats and what they can and cannot do. They make for a good short read and demystify a lot of what happens when you sequence a file without getting too bogged down in details. And BTW, I was right, MIDI 1 and MIDI 0 files are limited to only the original 127 GM patches.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...i_0_and_midi_1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI

Comment

Working...
                                X