Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want to remind everyone that post #172 has tips on firmware updates. I'm certainly not saying Paulogic's issue was due to pilot error, just that when doing a firmware update you really want to make sure you've done everything possible to insure a successful update. I used 64-bit Windows 7 and didn't have problems; as to the Mac, I'll still on Snow Leopard.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• The MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller now working with the Casio XW-P1!!!

I talked to MIDI Solutions and talked to John (They have amazing tech support BTW if you ever have a problem) and he figured out that it was a MIDI feedback loop that was causing the Pedal Controller and P1 to act the way they did. Once I understood this I hit SETTING -> MIDI -> MIDIOutSel and set it to anything but "MIDI" as setting it to MIDI will echo the Pedal Controller data to itself and create a MIDI feedback loop and you will get nothing and the P1 will possibly freeze.

The pedal controller also has a way to set it to not 'echo' incoming midi data if for some reason you need the P1 to send this data out of the midi port but not to the Pedal Controller, but its easier to set the P1 to not send the data out if you don't need this.

So there you have it. I hope this helps someone out as I anticipate the P1 with the Pedal Controller attached is going to be hard to beat!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Smart Alec
        View Post

How about some choirs and orchestral brass?

So I'm jumping ahead slightly. Craig hasn't gotten to Hex Layers but this is where the strings, brass and choirs really shine. This is one example of a single Hex Layer that has strings layered with choir. When you play with more velocity, it introduces a pipe organ and timpani. This is not a factory preset so I've attached the Hex Layer program in the zip file.
        -Mike Martin
        Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Thanks Mike! As I said in post #247, I've discovered the virtues of hex layers for PCM patches...so you're not "jumping ahead," you're "foreshadowing."

Comment

• Where would I find information on, or how, would I sync the tempo of a sequence played through a vst or standalone program like arturia arp2600 TO the xw-p1 tempo? What would the setup entail? Or how would I play a phrase on the xw-p1 ON a vst or standalone?
            Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• GneissnFunky,

I don't have the Arp2600 program but the XW-P1 can be a MIDI Clock Master or Slave device. To make the XW-P1 the clock master, press Settings then select MIDI. Scroll down to the third page and you'll find Sync Mode Set this to Master.

A Phrase or the Arpeggiator on the XW-P1 can trigger external instruments. Ideally you should take the time to create a Performance in which a Zone is set to MIDI device and the internal sounds are off. If you Edit a Performance and go to the MIDI page, you'll find the Gen parameter which is the XW's internal tone generator. If that is set to off the zone will make not sound from the XW. In this section you can also find the MIDI settings for this zone such as the MIDI channel it transmits on and whether it is transmitting via the standard MIDI outputs, USB or both.
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                View Post

GneissnFunky,

I don't have the Arp2600 program but the XW-P1 can be a MIDI Clock Master or Slave device. To make the XW-P1 the clock master, press Settings then select MIDI. Scroll down to the third page and you'll find Sync Mode Set this to Master.

While you were typing, I was trying this to see if I could answer the question. But I couldn't get sync happening with either Sonar or Ableton Live, with the XW-P1 as either a master (to control the DAW) or a slave (e.g., to sync the step sequencer to the DAW). Also, for some reason the DAW will recognize me playing MIDI notes on the keyboard, but not the Step Sequencer output...I figured that if I just hit start on the Step Sequencer, MIDI notes would flow out. Any clue as to what I might be doing wrong?

Comment

• Craig,

I've had it sync'd up to Cubase previously. I've also used the XW-P1 as the Master clock driving an iPad app that would sync. One thing, the XW-P1 does have have to be turned off then back on if the MIDI clock settings are changed.
                  -Mike Martin
                  Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                    View Post

Craig,

I've had it sync'd up to Cubase previously. I've also used the XW-P1 as the Master clock driving an iPad app that would sync. One thing, the XW-P1 does have have to be turned off then back on if the MIDI clock settings are changed.

Hey Mike - I took the liberty of emphasizing that, because that solved the problem.

And no, there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that I did a pro review of this keyboard so I would have expert tech support directly from Casio with a turnaround measured in minutes.

BTW Mike, the MIDI implementation chart in the manual says that the XW-P1 does not recognize clock sync, so I tried it in slave mode just to confirm the manual was wrong. You might want to correct that for the next rev.

Thanks!

Comment

• Here's the Hex Layer brass patch I was talking about...I think it sounds pretty cool.

As we've covered the PCM thing, got our units to sync to the outside world, and answered a bunch of questions, I'll move on to the Hex Layers next. So if you have any questions about what we've covered so far, now would be a good time to raise them.

FYI - I talked to a hardcore synth guy last night - plays out all the time, recorded a bunch of CDs, hangs out with famous players, etc. He has all the cool keyboards he could want, but I brought up the XW-P1 because I figured he would be "yeah, I guess it's okay, but..." and then I'd find out all the things he didn't like about it. That way I could cover them in the pro review and not look like a fanboi

But he said "I
                      have one. Man, it sounds so good. I can't believe something that costs $500 can sound so good." So...what don't you like about it? "Well...uh...y'know, it's a really cool synthesizer."

Comment

• Physically how do i set this up? Do I usb my xw-p1 and midi controller to my computer and set something within my DAW? Or do I connect my midi out from xw to midi in on midi controller and it will do this automatically? Sorry if these questions are inane but I really have a loose grasp on MIDI and its implementation. Most resources on the subject matter are uber technical or way basic. Maybe someone has a suggestion for where I could learn more?
                        Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky
                          View Post

Physically how do i set this up? Do I usb my xw-p1 and midi controller to my computer and set something within my DAW? Or do I connect my midi out from xw to midi in on midi controller and it will do this automatically? Sorry if these questions are inane but I really have a loose grasp on MIDI and its implementation. Most resources on the subject matter are uber technical or way basic. Maybe someone has a suggestion for where I could learn more?

Gneissnfunky,

It is very easy. Simply connect a USB cable from the XW-P1 to your computer and it is ready to be used as a controller with any music/MIDI application. Follow the instructions from my previous post if you're interested in syncing clock, then start your computer application.
                          -Mike Martin
                          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• While I don't want to turn this into a course on MIDI, I can give you the basics and you'll probably figure it out from there.

The XW-P1 communicates with your computer via MIDI. This can use either the USB interface, or physical MIDI cables connected to physical MIDI ports on your audio/MIDI interface. USB is more convenient, so use that.

One MIDI device will be the timing master and one will be the timing slave. Let's assume your DAW is the master and the XW-P1 is the slave. First, set the XW-P1 as Mike described, and remember to turn it off then turn it on again.

At your DAW, you will need to specify the Casio USB MIDI as your MIDI input and output ports.

Your DAW will almost certainly have a dialog box, probably somewhere under preferences, for controlling MIDI. The main option of interest here is whether you want the DAW to respond to external sync. In this case, that's not what you want, as that would make the DAW the slave. Instead, you're interested in having the DAW transmit MIDI clock. Some DAWs just naturally generate timing data that flows out the MIDI out connection (in this case, via USB). while others have a check box you need to check to transmit MIDI timing data.

There are two main types of MIDI data, MIDI clock and MIDI Time Code. You can ignore any MIDI Time Code options, as I don't believe this is part of the XW-P1.

I hope this helps!

BTW you might want to pick up a copy of MIDI for Musicians Although the book is old, the MIDI spec hasn't changed that much, and the material that's in there is still accurate.

Comment

• So for anyone interested in using the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller that Craig mentioned at the beginning of the review with the XW-P1 I now have an answer for how the XW-P1 seems to handle CC#7 (Volume) vs CC#11 (Expression) differently. Again Craig, if you determine this is off-topic feel free to remove this. I am adding it here because these are answers to questions I had when wanting to combine these two and so I figure they are valuable to someone out there wanting to do the same.

So CC#7 (Volume) seems to effect the sound post insert-effect but pre master-effect, at least while in Tone mode. MIDI CC#11 (Expression) however seems to effect the sound pre-insert effect. This is important for several reasons...

One reason is if you are wanting to use an overdriven leslie sound with your organ but you don't want to drive it the whole time full-out, using MIDI CC#11 you could back off on the expression pedal and clean up the sound. This is realistic to the way a real organ with a overdriven leslie cabinet would work. However with MIDI CC#7 the sound would stay distorted even as you backed the volume off. This would be like turning down the fader on a channel with distorted organ on it. The sound quality stays the same, it just gets lower in volume. This is not at all realistic from a performing organists standpoint. Lowering the volume of the organ to clean it up is an effect organists use all the time (especially in rock music) where they back off the volume and clean up the sound until they really need a driving sound then they floor the volume and overdrive the tubes in their leslie much as a guitarist does with the volume control on their guitar or with a distortion pedal.

The other reason this is important is if you are playing with a delay as an insert effect. If you are using MIDI CC#7 and you back off the volume then the sound of the delay turns down with the sound of the tone you are playing. Again, could be useful in certain instances I suppose, but not very realistic or useful IMHO. Much more useful is being able to swell - say a string sound - and then back off the volume and have the sound of the strings fade in and out while the delays ring on. This is something I do with guitar all the time and I have to say it is just as satisfying on the XW-P1.

I have to say that so far the Pedal Controller has not been easy to program (at least in logic pro), but luckily the tech support at MIDI Solutions has been better than just about any I have experienced and John sent me a midi file with the SysEx data on it and sent me to a site to download a free player on the mac that instantly put the pedal controller into the mode I wanted. They are first rate!

I really have to say I think the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller really opens up some very expressive possibilities on the XW-P1. I want to thank Craig for mentioning it. Now you have pitch, Mod and expression all under foot and finger plus the four control knobs that can be assigned as you wish. That's seven real-time controllers, not bad! I feel that the addition of the pedal is worth it just for added control of the organ and string swell sounds.

Now I wonder if I can get the built in wah wah on the XW-P1 to recognize MIDI CC#11 and react to it? Humm...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by So73
                                View Post

Again Craig, if you determine this is off-topic feel free to remove this. I am adding it here because these are answers to questions I had when wanting to combine these two and so I figure they are valuable to someone out there wanting to do the same.

This is useful, excellent information, so thank you very much for contributing it. The explanation of how #11 and #7 differ is helpful, as is explaining how those who don't see an expression pedal input needn't panic

And I agree completely about MIDI Solutions, they take excellent care of their customers. I'm not surprised at all that John was able to get you up and running.

This little keyboard just keeps looking better...I had to spend today dealing with the Harmony Central newsletter that ships this week as well as some necessary article updates, but tomorrow, I'm going to finish off the step sequencer material and if possible, start in on "hex layers in depth."

Comment

Working...
                                X