Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really appreciate Anderton's opinions and review so far of the device, compared to some members of the musicplayer forum snobbery.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by monsterism
      View Post

I really appreciate Anderton's opinions and review so far of the device, compared to some members of the musicplayer forum snobbery.

Well, I try very hard to be objective, but I do give "extra credit" in certain areas.

Someone whose ideal keyboard would be a Motif is not the target audience for the XW-P1. And that's fine, the world already has the Motif, and it fulfills that whole ROMpler/workstation thing extremely well. So if my heart was set on a Motif, those are the sounds I needed, and then I played the XW-P1, I could conceivably go on a forum and say the XW-P1 sucks because it doesn't fit MY needs. And for my needs, it would suck. A classic 1956 arch top Les Paul would suck even more if you want a Motif

But, different people have different needs. There are three main reasons why I like the XW-P1 so much.

1. It stakes out unique territory. Several people have pointed out that it sort of overlaps with the Venom. Well, I the Venom but even though they have sort of the same target audience, they are functionally quite different. I don't want to get into a Venom-vs.-XW-P1 discussion as there's a pro review of the Venom if you want to know more about it, but the similarities tend to be relatively superficial in my opinion. The XW-P1 is most definitely NOT a me-too synthesizer, and it appears the XW-G1 might be even less so.

2. You can really tweak it. What appeals to me about a synthesizer is whether I can customize it to my needs. I'll give an analogy: I don't like most POD HD500 presets. If I walked into a music store and ran through the presets, I'd think it sounded awful. But, it's extremely tweakable, and by just making a few changes here and there I've gotten sounds I absolutely love - some of the best sounds I've gotten from any multieffects. By and large I think Casio has done a reasonable job on the XW-P1 presets, but there's enough flexibility built into the architecture that I can transform it from Casio's synthesizer into my synthesizer.

3. It's $500. Some people use that as a justification for why it's not a $3,000 keyboard ("well, what do you expect for $500?"). I understand that viewpoint, but if it's an instrument you don't want to play and can't tweak, it doesn't matter if it's only $500 or even $100. My opinion is that you receive value far in excess of $500. I really like the fact that people who are just getting into keyboards, or DJs expanding their act, or those who have a nice ROMpler but nothing dance-oriented can afford a musical instrument with an architecture that allows for creativity and personalization. And while I realize some people complain about the keybed, I don't have a problem with it at all. When I hit the keys, they sound

So I can understand the snobbery, I see it all the time in this industry about a variety of products, particularly those with low price tags. It's like people who don't take Mixcraft seriously - but they've never created a project with it. If the XW-P1 just dropped out of the sky one day into my studio and I knew nothing about it - price, features, hype, whatever - I would be impressed with the fact that I had an instrument where I could really roll up my sleeves and do crazy, creative stuff. But I wouldn't know that from 15 minutes at GC. The value of a pro review is that I'm spending a LOT more than 15 minutes at a GC, and passing on what I know. What makes this review fun is I keep finding new things I hadn't discovered. That's a big deal to me.
      CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Well I definitely appreciate it, I'm new to synths and this looks like the best package to dip my feet in.

Comment

• When dealing with the solo synth how do I limit the resonance upper/max value? Sometimes I tweak it a little to far where my ears bleed...do I need an external compressor to prevent this or is there a way with the DSP compressor? Also any opinions on what your typical four knobs should be? I love cutoff next to resonance with the other two knobs being [fill in the blank]...
          Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky
            View Post

When dealing with the solo synth how do I limit the resonance upper/max value? Sometimes I tweak it a little to far where my ears bleed...do I need an external compressor to prevent this or is there a way with the DSP compressor? Also any opinions on what your typical four knobs should be? I love cutoff next to resonance with the other two knobs being [fill in the blank]...

I think what you're basically asking for is a governor on the resonance control to limit its maximum range to, for example, 100? I don't know of any way to limit the maximum amount of resonance, it just goes from 0 to 127...and when it's assigned to an assignable knob, it makes the 0 to 127 adjustment. Maybe Mike has some genius workaround?

Comment

• That presents a challenge. I think it can be done though. I think using the "Virtual Controllers" section of the Solo Synth you could create an offset that would prevent it from reaching the maximum value. I'll have to give this a try.
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                View Post

That presents a challenge. I think it can be done though. I think using the "Virtual Controllers" section of the Solo Synth you could create an offset that would prevent it from reaching the maximum value. I'll have to give this a try.

Yeppers, govern a parameter, that's what I need...also, in "EDIT" within Performance Mode you can select "hold, sost., phrase s/s, etc" for pedal, but can pedal be used to control a knob parameter (like cutoff)? I was surprised to not see the pedal control modulation, I feel I must have overlooked it or something. Personally having the pedal start/stop phrase record is awesome for making multi-layered phrases...such fun.
                Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

View Post

Yeppers, govern a parameter, that's what I need...also, in "EDIT" within Performance Mode you can select "hold, sost., phrase s/s, etc" for pedal, but can pedal be used to control a knob parameter (like cutoff)?

In a Solo synth tone (not a performance) you can assign the pedal to be a modulation source for anything (such as filter). Of course the pedal is a footswitch so it would jump you between two values not be a smooth transition.

This is done in the "Virtual Controllers" section.
                  -Mike Martin
                  Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Breaking news...an XW-G1 is showing up here soon! Although the focus will remain on the P1, I'll be pointing out differences between the two going forward.

Comment

• Anderton can you quickly comment on the p1 processing audio from say an external device what this means and possibilities?.iI understand you will cover it later but I'm trying to research into what this actually is.

Comment

• How do I get the virtual controllers to work for me in solo synth tone? Do I have this right? 8 parts = 8 sliders , each slider can be assigned to an additional "control" (ie. filter, oscillator, etc...)...and if pedal is set to "hold" then setting the source to "hold 1" in virtual controls can control the additional destination "control" using the pedal?...the point is adding additional controls applied to Synth 1,2 PCM1,2 Ext and Noise when adjusting volume using the sliders?

Comment

• Gneissnfunky,

If you are in Tone mode with a Solo Synth sound selected, press EDIT then scroll down and select the Virtual Controllers section.

This section is a "modulation matrix" that allows you to assign MIDI controllers to change elements of this single solo synth tone. There are an almost limitless number of things you can do here to make the solo synth respond in a particular way. You can assign something such as the mod wheel to control portamento time as an example.

The sliders can not be chosen as a virtual controller source. The sliders also do not correspond to 8 parts...I'm not sure what you're referring to here. In a Solo Synth tone the big blue LED lights up to show you the function of the 9 sliders, it's labeled right above the LED. In a Solo Synth tone, the first six sliders control the levels of each of the six oscillators. The 7th slider controls the total mix level of all of the oscillators and sliders 8 & 9 control the effects.

The virtual controllers section is a pretty deep level of editing and manipulation. This area provides some amazing capabilities but it requires some understanding of the architecture or signal flow of the solo synth engine. I'm certain Craig will get into some pretty heavy details of the solo synth and I hope he will describe of the capabilities that this area provides in the XW.
                          -Mike Martin
                          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                            View Post

I'm certain Craig will get into some pretty heavy details of the solo synth and I hope he will describe of the capabilities that this area provides in the XW.

Correct on both counts. Modulation matrices are your friend

Next up is creating a step sequence, then I'll take a brief detour into processing external ins through the XW-P1 as it seems there's some real potential there.

Comment

• I think my confusion arises from the fact that when you slide a drawbar in virtual controller edit it selects a different part...so let me try again, when the source, is say "cutoff", and the destination, is say "resonance", then when I tweak cutoff I'm also tweaking resonance? turn up cutoff = turn up resonance? If that were true, would it eventually be possible with a firmware update to make that opposite - turn up cutoff = turn down resonance (thinking of how negative keyfollow works)?

Comment

View Post

when the source, is say "cutoff", and the destination, is say "resonance", then when I tweak cutoff I'm also tweaking resonance? turn up cutoff = turn up resonance? If that were true, would it eventually be possible with a firmware update to make that opposite - turn up cutoff = turn down resonance (thinking of how negative keyfollow works)?

Gneissnfunky,

Virtual Controllers can already be used to do positive or negative values. Cutoff is a Destination, not at Source so it couldn't work exactly work as your describe.

Again, I think the XW is capable of doing what you're asking but I've been on the road this week so programming an example has not been possible. If the resonance it turned up all or most of the way and you close the filter it can have an edge. Yesterday it was described by someone as being able to slice through concrete. So why not just turn the resonance down just a touch then save your preset with the resonance in a lower position? In the meantime, I'll get to an example of modulating cutoff and resonance simultaneously that also limits resonance at a lower value.
                                -Mike Martin
                                Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                                X