No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
    View Post

Hi Craig, I just got off an airplane and I'm headed home. I'll get to your comments and questions as soon as possible. I will also reach out to the staff in Tokyo about what I can and can't mention as far as content development. Like many companies in the industry there were some third party contractors involved for sound development. Some of these guys are active other brands and products so their agreements may insist on anonymity. Secrets secrets. Take a look through some of the preset names and see if you recognize anyones name.

Have a good weekend.

Solo Synth P6-8 "Drama-Kehew" - Brian Kehew? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kehew

Solo Synth P2-0 "ChrisMayLead" - Chris May? http://www.prefixmag.com/features/ve...pop-too/12468/ ?
    Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
      View Post

Each sequence pattern (what Casio calls a "part") has nine tracks - five drum, one bass, two solos, and one chord. So you can build up a lot more than just drum parts.

One quick clarification Craig. Although the first five tracks are labeled Drm1, Drm2, Drm3...etc., you are not forced to use drum sounds on those tracks. Any track can be used for any type of sound.
      -Mike Martin
      Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

One quick clarification Craig. Although the first five tracks are labeled Drm1, Drm2, Drm3...etc., you are not forced to use drum sounds on those tracks. Any track can be used for any type of sound.

Yes, actually I noted that in post #191 and also mentioned changing tones in #190.
        CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

View Post

Of course, if you want a continuous controller, you could use a MIDI controller pedal and feed its output into the MIDI input jack. One option is the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller, which converts a standard expression pedal into one that produces MIDI continuous controller messages.

So I got my XW-P1 right as this review was starting and have been following along everyday with much interest. Can I just say that I love the drum sounds on this thing! This board just sounds so warm.

Now for my question for either Mike or Craig. I have the MIDI Solutions pedal controller mentioned in the quote above that I used to use with my trusty old Casio WK 3500 to control the level of the organ and I remember it working great on that board. If I remember correctly I would use it with the overdrive and actually use the pedal to drive the organ more or less into OD with the pedal and I remember it working like a treat. However, so far I have been unable to get it to work properly (or at all) with the XW-P1. Could either of you confirm or deny that this solution will actually work with the XW-P1, and if it does could you tell me how to set it up so it will work properly?

Either way thank you both for all your hard work. I am so excited that Casio have decided to go this route.

Comment

• So73,

The MIDI solutions box is sending Volume or another CC?

I'd make sure it is set to send Volume or Expression. With an organ sound with distortion you should hear the both the volume drop and the level of distortion as the volume gets lower.
            -Mike Martin
            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

Also, if Mike has the time/inclination I have another question: Who came up with the XW-P1 sequences? Is there a committee inside Casio that does it, or do you have a bunch of third-party people you call on, or is some poor guy chained to a desk somewhere in Japan and not allowed out all all the sequences are done? I think readers of this review might find that kind of "background information" interesting.

So here is the answer I received from Tokyo.

"Mr. Yoshino is the solo inventor of the Step Seq. He developed the prototype of this function for a year. So, "some poor guy chained to a desk somewhere in Japan and not allowed out until all all the sequences are done" is the most proper answer of the question. :-)"

I clarified the question by asking if he created all of the Sequences too and confirmed that the preset sequences were created by a combination of internal staff (that had done rhythms for previous products) and some external contractors.

I admit the first time Mr. Yoshino showed me a prototype, I couldn't get my head wrapped around what he was showing me. He was using a prototype that didn't neccessarily have the correct sounds so all of these button presses and slider movements didn't make much musical sense. Clearly he had a plan that I didn't totally understand. He is a pretty amazing guy.
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

So73,

The MIDI solutions box is sending Volume or another CC?

I'd make sure it is set to send Volume or Expression. With an organ sound with distortion you should hear the both the volume drop and the level of distortion as the volume gets lower.

Hello Mike and thank you for your reply and all you have done to promote this beautiful new instrument that Casio has put together. I know its technically your job, but I think everyone who has been following the progress of the P1 from the buzz created at NAMM on clearly sees that you have gone far and above the call of duty in promoting this board. Perhaps you really feel passionate about this new direction that Casio has taken? It's beautiful and inspiring to see someone who is passionate about his or her job.

The MIDI solutions was set to send CC 11 if I remember correctly. I am not worried about the distortion or anything like that at this point, I would just like to see any sort of response from the XW-P1 as right now when I rock the expression pedal back and forth nothing happens. I have everything set up as I had with the WK.

I am guessing from your response that the P1 should respond right away to MIDI CC 11 or 7 without me having to tweak any other internal setting correct? I was not sure on this point. If this is the case it could be that either my expression pedal or the MIDI Solutions box is defective now.

Mike or Craig could you confirm for me that if everything were hooked up correctly and working properly I should be able to attach this device to the XW-P1 and without changing any of the internal settings effect MIDI CC 11 or 7? I thought that perhaos with the added complexity of the P1 I had to change something internally to get it to respond, but perhaps something is just not right.

Thank you for your help!

Comment

• The Pedal Controller's factory default setting is to send CC#7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1. However, as you know you can program it to send other messages - I would definitely try resetting it to CC#7 as that's so universal. Obviously I don't know every preset in the XW-P1 (yet) so I don't know which are programmed to respond to Expression (CC #11), but CC #7 is pretty universal.

I was able to control the master volume with CC #7 messages sent from my DAW, so I know that works. I'd suggest hitting the Setting button, going down to the MIDI sub-menu, and making sure that the MIDI In parameter is set to on.

Although the purpose of this review isn't really to give tech support, I enjoy these kinds of questions because they help illustrate various aspects of how the XW-P1 works that I might not touch on otherwise. The other thing is that when this review starts to wind down (well, if it ever does!) I can copy this thread, then edit out everything except the "tips and tricks" and post that as an article on the content side.

Let us know if you get cc#7 working!

Comment

• Might be getting a P1, god the suspense is killing me.

Was going to get a Korg Micro X but now maybe not.

Comment

• The MicroX might be getting a bit old in the tooth so it would be a good idea to listen to the sounds, it also does not have a sequencer, I believe, I did see one for sale in the US for $200 if you want it, at that price you could also get the XW-P1 too.

I am not anti Korg, as I have a MicroSampler on the way to fill an instrument/audio gap that I require, but I will be ordering an XW-P1 once the price and availability stabilises here in Australia, because it is packed full of the synthesiser and programmability features that I require in such a product.

Comment

View Post

The Pedal Controller's factory default setting is to send CC#7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1. However, as you know you can program it to send other messages - I would definitely try resetting it to CC#7 as that's so universal. Obviously I don't know every preset in the XW-P1 (yet) so I don't know which are programmed to respond to Expression (CC #11), but CC #7 is pretty universal.

I was able to control the master volume with CC #7 messages sent from my DAW, so I know that works. I'd suggest hitting the Setting button, going down to the MIDI sub-menu, and making sure that the MIDI In parameter is set to on.

Although the purpose of this review isn't really to give tech support, I enjoy these kinds of questions because they help illustrate various aspects of how the XW-P1 works that I might not touch on otherwise. The other thing is that when this review starts to wind down (well, if it ever does!) I can copy this thread, then edit out everything except the "tips and tricks" and post that as an article on the content side.

Let us know if you get cc#7 working!

Craig thank you for your help. I certainly did not mean to hijack the thread, but I thought that perhaps since you mentioned the MIDI Solutions box as a possible solution to adding expression to the XW-P1 it would be ok to ask since it was that comment that inspired me to dig it out and try it with the P1 in the first place.

I also tried midi continuous controller CC7 and CC11 to the P1 from the DAW as you did and confirmed that it seems to be responding to both. So my conclusion is that my MIDI Solutions box is now defunct. I don't remember ever reprograming it (nor even having the means to do that at the time) so I am going to order a new one and I will report back here when it arrives and i've tested it out with the P1. Having played around with the P1 for a couple of weeks now I can't help but feel that it would be super expressive to play some of the polyphonic pad and string sounds with volume swells controlled by and expression pedal so I am going to see if I can make that happen even though it will mean re-purchasing something I already bought.

I have another question if it is okay to ask but feel free not to respond or tell me if you feel it is off-topic or simply don't know the answer. When I experimented with sending both CC 7 & CC 11 to the P1 using a string patch it seemed to more or less respond identically. Do you Craig, or more likely you Mr. Martin know if the P1 treats these two differently and if so how? Is it the place in signal chain that differs? I tend to think of expression feeding whatever effects are being accessed and volume as possibly effecting the volume both of the sound itself and any effects applied to that sound. Or is it that volume controls the overall volume of either the tone, performance, or even the master volume and expression is limited to the channel on which it is being sent? Just wondering if there would be an advantage to programing the MIDI Solutions box to recognize one over the other.

Thank you both again for your help and I hope this question is relevant.

Comment

View Post

All the tracks except one are "monophonic" tracks. Meaning on each step of the 16-step grid you can only have one note on that step. The last track of the sequencer is polyphonic. Any of the tracks can be internal or external (MIDI) or both at the same time.

So this means you cannot do a sequence containing several polyphonic tracks, like, say, a piano part, an organ part, and a brass section? Or is there more to the story?
                          the poster formerly known as TrancedelicBlues

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by So73
                            View Post

I also tried midi continuous controller CC7 and CC11 to the P1 from the DAW as you did and confirmed that it seems to be responding to both. So my conclusion is that my MIDI Solutions box is now defunct.

Before you give up, go to the midisolutions.com web site and check into programming the pedal controller. It could have simply gotten its brains scrambled and requires some kind of reset.

I have another question if it is okay to ask but feel free not to respond or tell me if you feel it is off-topic or simply don't know the answer. When I experimented with sending both CC 7 & CC 11 to the P1 using a string patch it seemed to more or less respond identically. Do you Craig, or more likely you Mr. Martin know if the P1 treats these two differently and if so how?

I'll answer it from a more general standpoint. CC7 is straight ahead volume, CC 11 can be more than that and control other parameters. It is up to the patch programmer to decide what controller affects what parameter. If I was programming a sound and nothing seemed really appropriate for an expression control, I'd probably just have it feed volume so that if there was expression control data in a sequence, it would do something when fed to the patch.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Smart Alec
                              View Post

So this means you cannot do a sequence containing several polyphonic tracks, like, say, a piano part, an organ part, and a brass section? Or is there more to the story?

Correct as far as I can tell, unless you stack several copies of the same tone on different tracks and build up something polyphonic that way.

It's important to remember that the XW-P1 sequencer is a step sequencer; it's not meant to be a workstation-style DAW replacement. The disadvantage is you can't do everything a workstation-type sequencer can do. The advantage is that the XW-P1 sequencer is optimized so it's easy to play live, and treat it more like an extension of the instrument than as a "recorder." It's also really easy to come up with beats and patterns.

Comment

• Thanks, Craig. Looks like there's enough room for my laptop on the right of the unit, though, so that's not a dealbreaker...
                                the poster formerly known as TrancedelicBlues

Comment

Working...
                                X