No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky
    View Post

Still not 100% (probably would help if I knew about drum machine "song" modes)

Gneissnfunky,

You're almost there. Make a few patterns in a Step Sequence, then SAVE that step sequence to a User location. I'd recommend getting into the habit of naming everything.

Next, press the CHAIN button. By default an empty chain defaults to recalling Step Sequence Preset 00. So now all you have to do is press the EDIT button can you can determine the order of events that you would like to happen.

You'll see something that looks like this.

This shows that the first step in the Chain is Step Sequence P00. Within Step Sequence P00 it is set to play Pattern 1, for 1 Measure in the key of C. It is also set to LOOP this over and over.

So in your case you'll want to choose a User Sequence and its pattern. When you're ready to add the next step, press the STEP+ button (also labeled INSERT) and adjust accordingly. Don't forget to SAVE your chain.

In this example I have my User Step Sequence playing Pattern 1 for 8 measures, then going to Pattern 2 for 3 measures and Pattern 4 for 1 measure.

Once you have your chain complete, you can set this all up to live in a PERFORMANCE, so you can have all of the sounds you want on the keyboard plus the patterns triggering in the order that you want, all automatically.
    -Mike Martin
    Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Wow, thank you so much...I can't wait to one hand jam (damn that sounded gross)...this really frees up my left hand for tweaking while a song progresses on its own...seriously cool...so many times having to shift key interrupts my flow during a song - not any more!...I think I get what song mode on a drum machine means now too...now about the eggs and taxes...
      Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Mike, these tutorials are great. This is going waaaaay beyond being just a review, thanks to your participation.

As the thread develops, I think I'll copy some of them as separate tips, write an intro or whatever if needed, and post them in the HC Articles library. That way you could also include links from the Casio site, your videos, or whatever...then you won't have to do the same work twice!

But since this IS a review, I should throw in an opinion: The more I delve into the XW-P1, the more I realize just how deep it is. I like that you can just skim along the surface and do the "plug-and-play" thing, but that if you want to dive deeper, you can.

Okay, back to learning about the step sequencer...
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Martin I have a question. Here in the UK the Casio is 725USD which is far more expensive than the price offered in the States. I really like to own the P1 but as a student I'm restricted by income despite working part time. So I was thinking I may look into importing on from the States, if so is the warranty international and plus what power adaptor would I need.

In an ideal world I love to buy one from the UK but I don't seem that happening.

Comment

• Monsterism,

I don't know that I can recommend that you to do that. I do not think the warranty would be valid. Also by the time you paid shipping and any other import costs and a new adapter I think you'd be close to the same price.
            -Mike Martin
            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• To all, obviously I'm thrilled for the enthusiasm and questions about the XW-P1. I'm sure Craig would agree, lets just try to keep the thread on topic. If you have questions that aren't related to Craig's latest post we probably need to move them someplace else. The Casio thread in the Key, Synths & Samplers section might be the best place. Here is the link - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...-of-a-NEW-ERA/
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                View Post

Monsterism,

I don't know that I can recommend that you to do that. I do not think the warranty would be valid. Also by the time you paid shipping and any other import costs and a new adapter I think you'd be close to the same price.

Bummer.

Thanks for your reply though.

Comment

• just because I was curious...there can be 99 links in a chain...I wish I could do quarter measures though...but everything has its limitations right? unless you make each measure a beat in which case you'd make it 24 measures maximum right? Sorry I may be thinking out loud again...
                  Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Two of the minis work like a charm for laptops.

Comment

• There are really three functions for the step sequencer:

1. Songwriting/inspiration generator

2. Live performance submodule

3. Create sequences offline for playback

Let's go over all three from a "review" standpoint.

Regarding (1), the factory sequences are quite cool. If Casio wanted to get into the loop library business, they could simply record the sequences (along with variations that have various parts dropped out, as happens with the eight Patterns associated with a sequence), convert them into REX or Acidized files, put them on a DVD-ROM, and voila - instant loop library.

Speaking of dropped-out parts, one of the important aspects of the factory sequences is the way the loops are deconstructed into various elements that are playable as individual Patterns. Obviously, having "all tracks all the time" gets pretty annoying, but you can actually play a performance just by calling up the right Patterns at the right time. Again to draw a comparison to Ableton Live, it's like having a bunch of Scenes ready to go. With this kind of application, you could even basically forget there's a keyboard, and just use the XW-P1 as a loop machine.

This then leads into the songwriting/inspiration generator aspect. When reviewing the Casio WK-7500, I mentioned that you could forget entirely that it was a performance keyboard, and by taking advantage of the sequencing and styles (it has a major "Arranger" component), treat it as a gigantic music library for audio-for-video, commercials, etc. Although the XW-P1 isn't as versatile in terms of styles (you won't find any bossa nova presets, if you know what I mean ), it still can provide a similar function within the dance genre: You can indeed treat it as a giant loop library, and record particular loops into your DAW if you want to work within that environment.

In terms of inspiration generation, quite a few of the sequences are useable as is, but some of them become useable by stripping out some of the tracks to something more basic. Either way, it's not hard to come across something you like as you go through the various factory presets, and some of them will definitely take you in interesting directions.
                      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Now let's consider the live performance aspect. As some of you who've seen my solo DJ act know, I'm into "fader slamming" where I have a bunch of loops going, then bring them in and out, solo them, etc. to create a performance. The XW-P1 lets you do something very similar.

If you call up a Pattern, you can enter the mixer mode and by choosing Volume as the parameter being edited, start doing the fader slamming thang by using the drawbar faders to create a real-time mix of the various tracks in a Pattern.

There are two main limitations. First, the faders have a 20mm throw, so it's not like you're using a DAW control surface (or something like the late, great Peavey PC-1600). In practice, though, I was somewhat surprised I didn't find this to be much of a problem. Sure, you have to be a little more precise with your fader movements, but I was able to zero in on the desired levels without much effort.

Second, the faders can mix eight tracks at a time. Typically these would be mixer channels 9-16, but the kick lives on channel 8. So if you want to do fader slamming with the kick, you need to hit the 1-8/9-16 button to access track 8.

However, in practice this isn't much of an issue because the 16 pushbuttons above the faders can enable/disable any track. Most of the time what I want to do with the kick is take it out and build things up, then have it come crashing back in. As it turns out, this is actually easier to do with the buttons than with the faders. You can also do things like fade out some tracks, then while they're faded out, disable them with the buttons. Bring the faders back up, and when you're ready to have them slam back in, hit the buttons. Very cool, and very fun.

But also, remember that with the mixer selected, the sliders can control whatever parameter you've selected for editing in the mixer. Normally this would be Volume if wanted to do the mix thang, but you can also select Part on off, essentially turning the sliders into on-off buttons (and therefore, providing an alternative if you'd rather turn tracks on and off with the faders instead of the buttons). But one of my FAVORITE fader warpage options is to switch over to editing the part's Tone, then take something like the hi-hat fader and go through the GM Sound Effects. It's wild.

Another cool trick is to set editing to coarse tuning, and vary the faders for the melodic parts. As they pitch is quantized to semitones, by slamming the faders around you can get a sort of "madman sample-and-hold" effect.

Of course after doing all these things, you've probably destroyed the original pattern beyond all recognition. But dig this! If you go out of the mixer and return to the main step sequencer screen, you can just call up your original sequence, and everything's back to normal - but best of all, it doesn't miss a beat. In other words, you can do your preset warpage, call up the original sequence, and it just keeps playing as a continuous, glitchless piece of music.

So, is the step sequencer capable of creating drum parts to play in the background? Yes. Can you do a whole lot more? Yes!! This is fun stuff.

Next, we'll get into actually creating sequences from scratch, which involves a little more detail.

Question for Mike: I was curious if it would be possible to use a control surface to drive the drawbar faders when used for step sequencer functions. I went to the Casio site to check out the (very complete) MIDI implementation chart, but it made my head explode because there's a huge amount of potential control. I found where you can use control signals for the faders when there's a drawbar tone selected, but I'm not sure if you can control the faders when they're being used for step sequencer functions. Can you confirm whether or not this is possible? It's not a deal-breaker or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks!

Comment

• One more thing, just to flesh out a couple of details...when first talking about the step sequencer, I said:

Each sequence pattern (what Casio calls a "part") has nine tracks - five drum, one bass, two solos, and one chord. So you can build up a lot more than just drum parts.

And in the previous post, I said:

But one of my FAVORITE fader warpage options is to switch over to editing the part's Tone, then take something like the hi-hat fader and go through the GM Sound Effects. It's wild.

In the first quote, I'm referring to the factory sequences. But as the second quote indicates, you're not limited to these assignments when creating your own sequences (or modifying factory sequences on the fly). However, I do think there's merit to using a more or less standardized setup for sequences, as you always know which slider to reach for when you want to mess with a part. For example, even if you create a sequence that doesn't have a kick drum per se, assigning the most "kick-like" part to track 8 means that when you reach for that fader, the results will be at least somewhat predictable.

This kind of planning ahead becomes important when you're using something like the XW-P1 for live performance, as you don't want to pick the wrong fader at the wrong time. In my live act, I have consistent song-to-song assignments for my control surface faders (which interestingly enough, are strangely similar to the assignments Casio chose for the XW-P1 - first five faders for drums, next fader for bass, etc. The main departure is I put chords next to bass then solos rather than the other way around).

Just thought I'd mention this so that all you XW-P1 owners out there don't get all excited about creating your own sequences, but then end up having totally different assignments for the different tracks...it's good to plan ahead sometimes.

Comment

• Also, if Mike has the time/inclination I have another question: Who came up with the XW-P1 sequences? Is there a committee inside Casio that does it, or do you have a bunch of third-party people you call on, or is some poor guy chained to a desk somewhere in Japan and not allowed out all all the sequences are done? I think readers of this review might find that kind of "background information" interesting.

By and large in this industry, a lot of the people responsible for the sounds we use go uncredited, so here's a chance to give credit where credit is due. Some insights into how you collect the samples for tones and such might of interest as well, but I DO understand it's late on Friday, and you do have a life

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                              View Post

I DO understand it's late on Friday, and you do have a life

Hi Craig, I just got off an airplane and I'm headed home. I'll get to your comments and questions as soon as possible. I will also reach out to the staff in Tokyo about what I can and can't mention as far as content development. Like many companies in the industry there were some third party contractors involved for sound development. Some of these guys are active other brands and products so their agreements may insist on anonymity. Secrets secrets. Take a look through some of the preset names and see if you recognize anyones name.

Have a good weekend.
                              -Mike Martin
                              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                                View Post

Hi Craig, I just got off an airplane and I'm headed home. I'll get to your comments and questions as soon as possible. I will also reach out to the staff in Tokyo about what I can and can't mention as far as content development.

Understood, and certainly understood if you can't comment. I just wanted to make sure that the guy chained to the desk in Tokyo got some credit.

Comment

Working...
                                X