Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daviel,

Sounds like your in a Performance. Press TONE for a single sound.
    -Mike Martin
    Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Worked just fine. Thanks!

Comment

• I interrupted updating the XW-P1 - a window popped up that said it wasn't able to load a certain file - it stuck on 8. Now the synth will not turn on. Have I killed it? Can I get it to operate? Help!

Comment

• Daviel,

Unfortunately it may be fried. I know of one other issue where this happened. Casio actually made some changes to the updater after the last case. Daviel, I'll contact you privately and we'll work on getting your XW-P1 replaced right away.
          -Mike Martin
          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Thank you Mike.

David Loving

Waxahachie, Texas

Comment

• I think we all appreciate your great support Mike! Thank you! Great product, affordable pricing. What more could we ask for from a manufacturer? Fortunately was able to upgrade the firmware without a hitch. Got my P1 two weeks ago, still reading and re-reading and learning. Looking forward to more tutorial. No rush though, I am a slow learner, Regards, oliver

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
                View Post

Apparently I do! There are a lot of little nooks and crannies in the OS. I'll check out your tutorials for sure.
                N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by daviel
                  View Post

I interrupted updating the XW-P1 - a window popped up that said it wasn't able to load a certain file - it stuck on 8. Now the synth will not turn on. Have I killed it? Can I get it to operate? Help!

As a public service, here's something I wrote in the February 2012 issue of Electronic Musician in response to a reader question.

A firmware update modifies gear at a very fundamental level, sometimes including the section that “wakes up” the gear when you turn it on. If this becomes corrupted, in addition to possible operational issues the gear may not function at all. Although in many cases you can simply try again if a firmware update doesn’t work, it’s important to make sure any firmware update completes successfully.

The single most important factor is not interrupting the power going to the device doing the updating (usually a computer) and the device being updated. For a successful software update, use an uninterruptible power supply to power your computer and the device being updated (note that more updates these days are being done by loading a file from an SD card or USB thumb drive, which can simplify matters compared to using a computer). With battery-powered gear, check that the batteries are fully charged; a laptop can also be a good choice for updating if its battery is charged, as the updating process usually takes only a few minutes and you won’t have to worry about the power to the laptop being interrupted.

Regarding the connection between devices (typically USB), make sure the cable is plugged in tightly, and the device being updated is sitting securely on a surface and can’t be moved accidentally. Don’t trip over the cable, either—and if you have pets, don’t let them in the same room where you’re updating gear. One good jump on a table at an inopportune team could mean the end of the update.

Finally, read the instructions twice—once
                  before doing the update, then while doing the update. Follow these to the letter, as one misstep could mean trouble.

N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

View Post

Daviel, I'll contact you privately and we'll work on getting your XW-P1 replaced right away.

Class act.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

Apparently I do! There are a lot of little nooks and crannies in the OS. I'll check out your tutorials for sure.

The Step Sequencer is obviously one of the most unique things about the XW-P1. Due to the fact that nothing like this has ever been done in a keyboard, this is a bit of a learning curve here. So far the first two questions that seem to come up are -

1. If I don't want that sound (kick drum, snare drum, bass sound....etc) on this track how do I make it a different one?

2. I want to input that part from the keyboard, instead of using the buttons or the sliders.

Both of those things are covered in the links above.

After that, there are some incredible depths you can go with the Step Sequencer. We're shooting some tutorial videos on this part tomorrow.
                      -Mike Martin
                      Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• What does "chain" mean? How and when do you use it?
                        Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• It's like the "Song" mode on drum machines where you can string sequences together. Cool extras are you can shift the key for a sequence in a chain, and choose whether the chain will loop or end. You can also save a chain to the SD card as an SMF file.

Now comes the part where Mike mentions that chains can also make eggs Bendict, do your taxes, and monitor tire pressure

Comment

View Post

The knobs however can save the day (...)

Example: Four Knobs = Volume for Each Zone

(...) Using this method you have 4 independent volume controls, one for each zone.

Thanks Mike !

This is indeed what I was looking for; so the trick is to combine 4 identical knob assignments on performance level with individual knob enable/disable settings per zone/part.

I just did some experiments with this; it works great...

.. I'm already starting to miss though a few extra knobs for more real time control

Using a "shift" button which could quickly switch between different assignments for each knob would be awesome; maybe a nice little project for a next firmware

Kris

Comment

• Still not 100% (probably would help if I knew about drum machine "song" modes)...I've pretty much nailed down how to make a pattern, copy it to next pattern in the sequence, then build on it, so on so forth...whenever I've tried to play around with the "chain" it seems to bring in another sequence...yet that gets messy for me because it seems to erase what I've been doing so I've stop trying to figure it out through trail and error until I get a better understanding of what "chaining" means and how to use it...I'm not a live player synth player (piano is my background) so maybe I'm looking at this through the wrong lens...
                              Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• Hi,

First of all I think this is a great forum! I purchased my XW-P1 on 4/4 and till now I love this board. Especially the solosynth sounds are great, but more important : if you don't like them --> just edit them

The only thing I mis(sed) is a software setting for the susain pedal (open or closed). Why? I have a couple of "spare" pedals, but all normal closed. When connecting the pedal it works in reverse. Not a big issue though because I've already bought a switchable pedal: works fine.

Next to this XW, I have a Juno-Gi and a Korg Microstation - the combination of them, together with this excellent board, got me inspired again.

Thanx for sharing the info on this forum!

(I've created some short songs and put them on youtube, in case someone is interested, here are some of my vids to get an idea of some sounds/possibilities)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuai3WnVlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9GsHIKN80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_BuqnKR-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBkxzUg5eg

Comment

Working...
                                X