Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil, what speakers have been your favourite so far with these amps?

Comment

• I really don't have a super wide variety to choose from. I've got a couple of 12" Utah's in my '72 Twin, a 10" Eminence in my Super Champ, a 12" EV in my '83 Princeton II. The single amp mentioned in Batch 6 on this page is mine. I've also got a pair of Eminence 12" speakers in a "chopped" Fender amp cabinet. Those are the speakers that are always here, so they have had the most play time.

Additionally, there's always a bunch of different half stacks and so forth coming through here, and as I said, I've had several clients audition the Guytronix kits to seek their opinions... I had a buddy's Marshall 1960a (loaded with stock Celestion 75's) here on a long term loan (it's been returned to him now), and both heads sounded really good through that, although it favored the Ardmore a bit more IMO. The Gilmore Jr still sounded very good, and had some good bottom end chunk going on - and it's surprisingly loud if you don't stop to think about the "1 watt / 1 meter = X dB" efficiency ratings of typical speakers first... If the speaker does 90 dB @ 1 watt / one meter, that's pretty loud. Loud enough that you don't want to be exposed to it for 8 hours straight. The Gilmore Jr is bound to surprise a few people with just how loud 1/2 watt can be.

Rich has suggestions on speakers, and unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try them. I believe he has a specific 16 ohm 10" Weber he likes, and IIRC, he's also fond of a 1X10" extension speaker cab from one of those little solid state Marshall mini stacks. I'm sure he'll be happy to share the details (I've got them in the studio and I'm answering this from home).

Me? I would still like to try the Ardmore through a Vox / Celestion Blue, or maybe a Eminence Red Fang or the Weber Blue Dog. But so far, of all the speakers and cabinets I have tried, I keep coming back to the 1X10" blue label Fender Eminence inside my Super Champ... I run a speaker cable from either head right to that speaker, in that little open back cab, and it just sounds great. (<-- Big grins when playing through gear is always a good thing! )

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Now that I've had more time to try different speakers, here is what sounds good to me;

12" Weber Blue Dog (16 ohms Gilmore Jr) light dope, 15 Watts

10" Celestion 'knock-off' used in the Marshall Micro Stack

2 x 8" Weber 8A125 and 8A125T

4 x 12 Marshall 1960A 75 watt speakers (Gilmore Jr)

4 x 12 Weber Blue Dogs (2) and Silver Bells (2) (Ardmore)

There are a lot of possibilities. I have not heard a speaker that did not sound 'good', its just that the above choices sounded a bit better to me than most others.

The Gilmore likes to 'see' 16 ohm loads and the Ardmore likes to 'see' 8 ohm loads. You can use 8 or 16 ohms with either, its just that they sound a tad better using the values mentioned.
        Best regards,
        Rich
        www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Danocoustic
          You ain't gettin' me back to Californee

Oh, don't make me call in the SP.

Let's see, I still need to describe the final parts of the build, plus testing the B+ voltage, as well as doing the end caps. Have I forgotten anything else? Oh yeah... some clips.

I'm still rounding up volunteers for a day at the studio playing / recording these amps. Please send me a PM if you're interested!

I think I will write about the end caps right now, since I can do that from memory.

The kits each come with two wooden end caps that bolt to the sides of the metal heads / cases.. Other than the steel cases, that's the only "enclosure" that comes with them stock. And to be honest, while they don't provide any protection for the tubes, they will serve fine for general home use if you're going to leave the head sitting on top of a speaker cabinet or rack or whatever, but if you plan on taking it with you in your travels, then something a bit more substantial is definitely in order IMO.

The wood end caps are nicely grained, and pre-sanded. Do a little fine sanding if you feel it's needed, then finish them however you want. I used a nice light-honey colored stain. I applied several uniform coats, and once that was dry, I sprayed them with a couple of layers of clear coat to give them a little gloss and "shine". I'll try to get some photos of that uploaded soon.

Several builders have built the kits inside of a "donor amp" chassis. Obviously, I didn't go that route... but that's one possible cabinet "solution". I believe Guytronix has information on custom made cabinets for either kit. Since the external dimensions of the cabs are identical, a cab made for one kit model should fit the other just fine. If you're handy with woodworking and covering skills, you could put something together yourself with little problem. Check out the www.guytronix.com site for some ideas of what other users have built as far as enclosures / cabinets.

One suggestion though - if you are planning on building a custom head to house your Guytronix kit, make sure you leave enough room up top to allow for tube swaps as needed... and, if you're thinking about getting the 2 watt mod, for the extra height for the Gilmore Jr's tube socket adapter / 2 watt tube, which is definitely 'taller" than the stock 1/2 watt tube setup.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• Dano, would you be willing to track some clips of yours and post them up here? If you need someone to host them, email them to me and I will toss them up on my server.

I'd like to get several players / amps / examples posted, so if anyone else has built one and wants to submit clips, they would definitely be welcomed.

- George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe
              Dano, would you be willing to track some clips of yours and post them up here? If you need someone to host them, email them to me and I will toss them up on my server.

I'd like to get several players / amps / examples posted, so if anyone else has built one and wants to submit clips, they would definitely be welcomed.
              Phil, I've got no recording equipment, and you're seeing the extent of my computer skills right here

Not to mention that I'd be too embarrassed to let you all hear how poorly I play!

So far, I've only run my Gilmore through an old 2x12 cab I've got, and through the 4x10 cab in my Bassman combo. I've got a pair of the 8" Webers that Rich mentioned in his recent post, but I haven't used them yet; still got to build a cabinet for them, and a cab for the Gilmore itself. Got to wait for better weather, as I have to do all the machining outdoors. Such is life in Michigan, in the wintertime, in a single-wide trailer.

Once I've completed that, I can give my review.

And I ain't skeert o' no dang Shore Patrol

Comment

• It's all good Dano. Thanks anyway.

- George Carlin

Comment

• *chirp*
                  61 reissue SG
                  H&K Attax40
                  and a Banjo

Comment

• I have a 16ohm red fang in a closed back cab and it loves my Gilmour Jr. I have the M mod on mine.
                    www.guitarparamedic.com

Comment

• Hey I just finished my first build of a Gilmore Jr. What a BLAST. I wanted a combo/head, so I built the kit components into a Valve Junior Chassis and then into the Valve Junior Cab. I also have the optional attenuator built into the chassis and I patch cable it in when I want it (knob up front). I can't beleive it all fit in a Valve Jr. A lot of fun.
                      I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this thread. I wanna know what other sounds people are getting. Mine is very 3-D sounding and warm. I also have a lot of headroom; maybe due to the v-mod? Who knows..I dig it. I only have a double humbucker Wolfgang right now, but I can't wait to try it with some single coils.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1esotericguy
                        Hey I just finished my first build of a Gilmore Jr. What a BLAST. I wanted a combo/head, so I built the kit components into a Valve Junior Chassis and then into the Valve Junior Cab. I also have the optional attenuator built into the chassis and I patch cable it in when I want it (knob up front). I can't beleive it all fit in a Valve Jr. A lot of fun.
                        I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this thread. I wanna know what other sounds people are getting. Mine is very 3-D sounding and warm. I also have a lot of headroom; maybe due to the v-mod? Who knows..I dig it. I only have a double humbucker Wolfgang right now, but I can't wait to try it with some single coils.
                        Sounds like a cool way to do it

The V-mod definitely widens the tone's range, and I did the 2-watt mod to get more clean headroom before breakup.

Wait 'til you run a Tele through it

Comment

PLEASE, no more gas. I just bought a Verbzilla reverb that now lives with the amp. Next is going to be an extension cab. And my Wolfgang is particularly noisy, so maybe a gate or Decimator. MORE STUFF MORE STUFF. I wish I could move all my GAS energy into practice energy

Comment

• Originally posted by danbomb
                            I have a 16ohm red fang in a closed back cab and it loves my Gilmour Jr. I have the M mod on mine.

Clip please?

- George Carlin

Comment

• I am not really set up for recording.
                              www.guitarparamedic.com

Comment

The V-mod definitely widens the tone's range, and I did the 2-watt mod to get more clean headroom before breakup.

So I ended up borrowing a really nice USA STRAT (and subsequently buying a cheap one) and you weren't kidding. Single coils are my hero through this amp. Warm and jangle-y. It's like a "Little Wing" music box.

Comment

Working...
                                X