Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got my amp today and got to fire it up this evening. TONE!!! This is definitely a keeper.

Rich, after listening more to the sound samples on your site and speaker manufacturers' sound samples more, I decided I liked the Celestion V30 instead of the Jensens. I got a clone to try first, and it sounds really good (without a cabinet). I plan to build a speaker cab and an amp head cab, but I couldn't resist soldering a cable onto the speaker and plugging it in.

The comments about surprising amounts of volume, even at 1/2 watt, are true. Not deafening by any stretch, but too loud to crank while the Mrs. is trying to sleep. I am wondering about recording levels through a mic too.

Rich, do you have a master volume or attenuator mod/kit available? I may put something like that in the amp cab. Has anyone else done that?

Thanks,

Shane

Comment

• I just got my amp today and got to fire it up this evening. TONE!!! This is definitely a keeper.

Rich, after listening more to the sound samples on your site and speaker manufacturers' sound samples more, I decided I liked the Celestion V30 instead of the Jensens. I got a clone to try first, and it sounds really good (without a cabinet). I plan to build a speaker cab and an amp head cab, but I couldn't resist soldering a cable onto the speaker and plugging it in.

The comments about surprising amounts of volume, even at 1/2 watt, are true. Not deafening by any stretch, but too loud to crank while the Mrs. is trying to sleep. I am wondering about recording levels through a mic too.

Rich, do you have a master volume or attenuator mod/kit available? I may put something like that in the amp cab. Has anyone else done that?

Thanks,

Shane

Hello Shane,

The Gilmoe Jr records 'BIG'. An SM-57 is all you need to capture a huge sound. Gary Gerhart designed the Gilmore to be one excellent recording amp. The Gilmore Jr is a sub-set of the Gilmore Amp and uses the same transformers and stock output tube. I am currently looking for another source for rheostats (attenuation) since the price from my typical supplier has gone through the roof. Please check my site once in a while for acivity. Enjoy your tone ;^)
      Best regards,
      Rich
      www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Hi Phil,

I know this is old but can you please re-host the pictures?

They're not showing up.

Thanks

So you make your amp kit order, and a few days later the box shows up via Prioity Mail - I was actually impressed with how fast that was.

Opening the box reveals an expert packing job. Everything is set in the box in an organized manner, and individual elements of the kit are wrapped seperately.

Pulling everything out of the bubblewrap and packing paper reveals this:

Again, you'll notice that everything is well organized. One example - polarized parts such as diodes and polarized capacitors are placed into a seperate bag - which is handy for old hands and new builders alike, since these parts require special attention to their orientation when they're being installed.

Comment

• Oh man, I forgot to post my build in here

And with the guitar god charms.

yay!
          Love,
          Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

• hello mth,

why not stain the provided oak end caps the color of your nicely built cabinet?
            Best regards,
            Rich
            www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Phil,

Any chance you could re-post these photos?

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I know this is old but can you please re-host the pictures?

They're not showing up.

Thanks

Comment

• All my website stuff is being redone right now, and I'll try to find links, but I can't make any promises. There is one "gut shot" pic that I took up on the Guytronix site:

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Thanks Phil,

Eric

Comment

• I can't wait to get one of these things.
                    Epi Vintage G400 Rio Grande BBQ
                    Crybaby 535Q
                    Peavey Triple XXX Super 40
                    Palomino V8
                    Digitech Bad Monkey
                    Danelectro FishnChips

Good Deals with: Reignman, The4thlast1, LithiumZero, shredhead885, chad_sux
                    UG: Metalcore_slave

Comment

• I know this was a long time ago, Mr O'Keefe, but the Gilmore Jr Build pictures are all gone. And I would like to see them please.

Comment

• I would be truly remiss if I didn't take the time to thank you guys for your candid post. You have helped GUYTRONIX survive during this very tough economy. It ain't easy, but I did learn how to juggle a bit Again, thank You!
                        Best regards,
                        Rich
                        www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Hey all, thanks for the great thread. Last post was 18 months ago. Did the conversation move, or does someone like me just need to come along and resurrect it? :-) I'm thinking of building a Gilmore Jr. soon. Top notch job on the sound clips. They give enough detail to really hear the character of the amps.

That said, it would be great to have 3 clean and three dirty clips playing about the same thing through 'stock', 'M', and 'V' mods to judge the difference between them. It would be really helpful considering that amateurs like me can't easily install and remove mods, and most of us won't have the money to build three of these, lol... Wish I could though.

Comment

• Glad to see your still out there, Rich. I build my Gilmore... some years ago? I don't even remember anymore. Don't play it much, but it really spurred me one to build other amps and pedals. Fantastic directions, a great sounding amp, and a wonderful learning experience.
                            Love,
                            Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

• Thanks for the kind regards HR. I am happy that you are melting solder ;^) An adjustable level tube effects loop in the works. Stay safe Bud.
                              Last edited by Richard Guy; 04-06-2014, 08:13 AM.
                              Best regards,
                              Rich
                              www.guytronix.com

Comment

Working...
                              X