Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, this is my first post. I just bought an Ardmore amp used, already assembled, I brought it home and plugged it in, cranked it to 10 and proceeded to wail with my Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy ( humbuckers ) and boy does it sound sweet! But, since I got it used, I'm wondering what the speaker load should be, I was using an 8 ohm box, is that correct?

Comment

• Hi, this is my first post. I just bought an Ardmore amp used, already assembled, I brought it home and plugged it in, cranked it to 10 and proceeded to wail with my Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy ( humbuckers ) and boy does it sound sweet! But, since I got it used, I'm wondering what the speaker load should be, I was using an 8 ohm box, is that correct?

You are correct Sir! It will also work with 4 or 16 ohm loads but 8 is ideal. Enjoy
      Best regards,
      Rich
      www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Thanks! I'm really amazed at the way this amp responds, it seems to have a musical kind of feedback at almost any note. It makes me feel like frickin' Hendrix. Way cool!! Thanks for coming up with such a cool sounding, affordable amp.

Comment

• Richard, From looking at your website, it seems as though there are no mods for the Ardmore, is that right? But, you have quite a few for the Gilmore, why is that? t'ott

Comment

• Richard, From looking at your website, it seems as though there are no mods for the Ardmore, is that right? But, you have quite a few for the Gilmore, why is that? t'ott

tonsotubetone,

Thanks for your inquiry. The Ardmore's heart is voiced in Vox-land. It is bright and full of chime. Think Beatles/Byrds/Petty. So far, folks have like the amp as is. It really wouldn't sound good installing a 'M' mod, it would ruin the vibe. The Gilmore Jr's 'V' mod is pretty much the same tone stack that is in the Ardmore. The Gilmore, who's heart is voiced early Fender Tweed, lends itself tone-wise to various mods due to its design. Early Marshalls were very similar to Leo's Bassman at that time
            Best regards,
            Rich
            www.guytronix.com

Comment

• please forgive me for asking a question that has, perhaps been addressed already...

can the gilmore put out sufficiently loud clean tones for recording purposes (say, like the cleaner guitars in "sultans of swing")?.

thanks,
              jai shankar.

Comment

• please forgive me for asking a question that has, perhaps been addressed already...

can the gilmore put out sufficiently loud clean tones for recording purposes (say, like the cleaner guitars in "sultans of swing")?.

thanks,
                jai shankar.

The Gilmore Jr can sound clean as you mention but mic placement and speaker(s) are important too. It will begin to 'break-up' at around 2 PM on the volume control. If you want to go above the Gilmore Jr's clean, the Ardmore is the way to go. Way clean and a lot of chime. If MK's tone with DS is your quest, plug your Strat into the Ardmore with a nice 8 ohm load. The Gilmore Jr likes to 'see' 16 ohm loads. Either amps will work fine at 8 or 16 but each has it's own magic with the proper load.
                Best regards,
                Rich
                www.guytronix.com

Comment

• The Gilmore Jr can sound clean as you mention but mic placement and speaker(s) are important too. It will begin to 'break-up' at around 2 PM on the volume control. If you want to go above the Gilmore Jr's clean, the Ardmore is the way to go. Way clean and a lot of chime. If MK's tone with DS is your quest, plug your Strat into the Ardmore with a nice 8 ohm load. The Gilmore Jr likes to 'see' 16 ohm loads. Either amps will work fine at 8 or 16 but each has it's own magic with the proper load.

Care to make any specific speaker recommendations? Thanks.

Comment

• [QUOTE=edeibler2000;22521200]Care to make any specific speaker recommendations? Thanks.[/QUOTE

Thanks for asking

I like the Weber 16 ohm 12" Blue Dog, Ceramic Magnet, 16 ohms, lite dope, pre-broken-in for the Gilmore Jr.

For the Ardmore, I like an 8 ohm Celestion G-1265 or Weber's 'knock-off' 1265 at 8 ohms for the Ardmore.

Please note that there are a lot of very nice sounding speakers out there. The 'key' is running 16 ohm loads with the Gilmore Jr and 8 ohm loads for the Ardmore.
                    Best regards,
                    Rich
                    www.guytronix.com

Comment

• One of my Customers installed a bunch of toggle switches on his Gilmore Jr to switch in and out the various components from stock to 'V', 'M' and bright mod components. It provided for interesting combinations. You can see his build on my 'Builder's Pictures' area on my site.

If I were to do it, relays are the answer.

Comment

• If I were to do it, relays are the answer.

It would take many relays or switches to pull it off with both mods installed in one amp. Each mod has ~ 6 components (I believe the 'V' mod has five) One mod is specific to the gain stages in the amp ('M') while the other is specific to the tone stack ('V'). The 'M' mod would be the easiest to switch in or out since it directly replaces existing stock values. The 'V' mod is a bit more involved/tricky due to re-routing the design of the stock tone stack as well as direct component value changes.
                        Best regards,
                        Rich
                        www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Man, great thread - at first. I wish some recordings would have panned out, especially after a planned get-together at a studio. Oh well.... Anybody else have any recordings using the Gilmore Jr.?

I recently bought one used. I imagine that I'll be buying a kit to build myself eventually as well. I'd love to have one at my office as well as at home.

One more speaker question for you, Richard.... The Blue Dog is part of the British Series. For a more "Fender Tweed" sound, what speaker(s) are the ticket? Thanks, and I look forward to becoming a customer of yours as well.

Comment

• Hello Guitolin,

Weber's 12A125-O would be a nice choice for what you are describing. 16 ohms is the ticket ;^)
                            Best regards,
                            Rich
                            www.guytronix.com

Comment

• Thanks, Rich. I really appreciate your help.

Shane

Comment

• "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
                                If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Comment

Working...
                                X