Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally figured out the problem with my 4CM setup last night... There's a trick you need to use if you're using an amp head/combo that has a separate line-in (MP3 in, stereo aux in, etc.) in your 4CM instead of a separate preamp and power amp setup.

I've used 4CM with my GSP1101 for years so I had never run into any issues because I've always used a separate preamp (Tech21 PSA-1.1) and power amp (ART SLA-1). However, when you have both the preamp and power amp combined as they are in an amp head or combo you'll run into problems with your effect chain order in a 4CM setup. If you just connect your cables as specified for 4CM and you place the volume pedal after the amp block in your chain, you'll find that you can never reduce your volume level to zero. This is because once the signal hits the preamp it has "free" direct access to the power amp and then to the speakers. Even if you roll the volume pedal all the way back, if it's after the amp block there's nothing you can do, but put the volume pedal earlier in the chain. Of course if you do this then your volume pedal isn't controlling just the volume, but also your gain level (just like you would with your guitar's volume control).

So here's the trick. If you really want the volume pedal to only adjust the volume level and not mess with your gain structure then you need to plug in a "dummy" plug into the effects loop return jack. On most amps if you plug something into the return jack that has no signal then you won't getting any sound coming out of your amp. This dummy plug effectively breaks the link between the preamp and power amp sections. Then the output from the iPB-10 is the only way the signal comes back into the power amp via the line-in jack on the amp.

Of course if you're using the return jack on your amp for the iPB-10 output connection then you won't have this issue, but unless you have a stereo effects return you'll lose any stereo effects.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Noodler@TGP
      View Post

It's definitely a problem due to the skins/protectors you're using. I just have an easily removable case for mine so I can pop it in and out. If you want to keep your skins on the iPad you might consider modifying the tray to allow for more thickness. It looks like the black cushion pads could be removed from the tray and replaced with something thinner, but still provides sufficient cushion.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to decide whether I'm going to keep them or not. But at least I have a workable solution in the meantime.
      Great transactions with: JRguitar, cbh5150, others forgotten.
      - '92 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
      - '06 Martin D-16R
      - '07 Little Martin
      - '12 Traveler Speedster Hot Rod
      - Marshall JMP-1C
      - Marshall Class 5
      - Marshall DSL401
      - Egnater Tweaker
      - Yamaha THR10

Fitness & Nutrition Forum

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
        View Post

Use the tray for the iPad 1.

Oh, of course. Duh!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
          View Post

Use the tray for the iPad 1.

Yep - I figured that out. Works just fine. Thanks!
          - '06 Martin D-16R
          - '07 Little Martin
          - Marshall JMP-1C
          - Marshall Class 5
          - Marshall DSL401
          - Egnater Tweaker
          - Yamaha THR10

Comment

• I just want to update the review that I have written few days ago. Following this thread I had the chance to try to use the IPB-10 in a different way. Before I was using it directly in my combo (Roland BC 60) and deleting all ampsim and cabinet no 4CM(that I tried). Thanks to some of you I tried to add an ampsim and delete the cabinet. In this combination a can get a really nice sound that is very very sensitive to my touch and dynamic. I have to admit that the only ampsim that makes me happy is the VOX ac30 maybe because is very close to the sound that I am looking for and my real amp. But adding the VOX ac 30 the sound becomes more sensitive to my touch. In this way just using the knob of my guitar I can make a complete clean sound or a little bit crunchy. So in this way I can start from a little crunch sound and add an OD or DIST to get a really huge variety of distorted sound that I can adjust just rolling off the knob volume of my guitar. Even when I am in crazy distorted sound any note is clear. The only thing that makes me happy and crazy at the same time is that I always feel like trying to use another amp sim and see what happens, but up to now, for me the best amp sim is the Vox ac30(talking about the music and the sound that I am looking for).

So I have to say that the digitech IPB 10 is an amazing machine that is making me so happy about the sound and all the possibility that I have just under my fingers. I am still looking for other kind of sounds but any time that I start making a new patch I end up with a sound that is good enough to gig with.

So once again thanks to all of you that have created this great thread

Comment

• Can anyone confirm the current Firmware version that should be showing for the IPB-10? Many people referenced having to update when they first plugged in, and mine didn't, so I just want to make sure mine is current. It's showing Firmware Version 1.18.00. Nexus App is version 1.04 I believe.

Thanks.
              - '06 Martin D-16R
              - '07 Little Martin
              - Marshall JMP-1C
              - Marshall Class 5
              - Marshall DSL401
              - Egnater Tweaker
              - Yamaha THR10

Comment

• Firmware: 1.18

Nexus: 1.04

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof
                  View Post

Can anyone confirm the current Firmware version that should be showing for the IPB-10? Many people referenced having to update when they first plugged in, and mine didn't, so I just want to make sure mine is current. It's showing Firmware Version 1.18.00. Nexus App is version 1.04 I believe.

Thanks.

Same here.

Under Settings:

-App Version : 1.04,

-Firmware Version (unplugged) : 0.0.0.0

-Firmware Verision (connected) : 1.18.0.0
                  iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
                  My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

• And the links I have for the intial 'update' procedure are these:

As an aside, Digitech should really rationalize all those ipb-10 pages into one.
                    iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
                    My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

• Awesome - thanks guys!
                      - '06 Martin D-16R
                      - '07 Little Martin
                      - Marshall JMP-1C
                      - Marshall Class 5
                      - Marshall DSL401
                      - Egnater Tweaker
                      - Yamaha THR10

Comment

• Hello, everyone! Just wanted to say how great all of this information is.

I received my iPB-10 yesterday but was more than a little bummed to find out I was shipped a broken unit. The pedal had some sort of an input issue where it wouldn't receive the signal sent by my guitar. Needless to say, another one is on the way and should be here in a few days.

Just curious... has anyone else had or heard of this problem before?

Comment

• Tonight I remembered an old "trick" from back in my Line 6 POD days that I decided to test out with the iPB-10. The "trick" is the Radial Dragster. It's somewhat controversial, but I have to say that I like the effect of the Dragster on my tones. The idea is that the Dragster allows you to dial in just the right amount of load on your pickups which in turn affects their frequency response. I think it really amounts to just another way to EQ your tones, but it works. What works well is that when used with digital modelers, the Dragster easily dials-out any harsh top end or fizz in the tone. It just makes everything sound/feel smoother. Radial primarily markets it as a fix for wireless systems to restore your guitar tone when you switch from using a cable to wireless, but for about $50 its a good tool to have in your bag of tricks.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
                            View Post

Suggestions:

1) AUDIO PLAYBACK OF CONFIGURED TONES - In a futUre NEXUS update, is it technically possible to 'listen' to the each of the 100 tones? I am thinking of the scenario where one has the ipad in a standalone mode ( ie on the subway with headphones), creating tones and simple wanting to hear them back. As ther is no guitar input in this scenario, the playback would be a some sort of predetermined (yet configurable) audio file.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
                            View Post

We've been talking about a way to implement this one, we have a few possibilities.

That's great to hear. After all - my AmpKit+ App on the iPad can play built-in riffs and have them approximate the sound of the patch settings. Granted, with the iPB - it won't be exactly like what we'll hear in real life through a guitar amp or something, but it sure would be fun to tweak sequence of pedals and various parameters and hear the changes in tone with the iPad alone... I can see myself messing with that in a ton of different situations where I wouldn't have the actual iPB pedal available...
                            - '06 Martin D-16R
                            - '07 Little Martin
                            - Marshall JMP-1C
                            - Marshall Class 5
                            - Marshall DSL401
                            - Egnater Tweaker
                            - Yamaha THR10

Comment

• Has anyone had problem calibrating the expression pedal? if so what did you do to

solve it?

Mine is stopping at the first display of 'td' When I press #5 it gives me a an 'Er' in

the led.

Thanks!

Comment

• Is there anybody else out there that pulls up the App Store app multiple times per day to see if I get an "iPB-Nexus Update" notice? Or is it just me?

- '06 Martin D-16R
                                - '07 Little Martin
                                - Marshall JMP-1C
                                - Marshall Class 5
                                - Marshall DSL401
                                - Egnater Tweaker
                                - Yamaha THR10

Comment

Working...