X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the open and honest reply!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
      View Post

Cool, didn't know you were the designer of the Quadrafuzz! (Hope you licensed the hell out of that to Steinberg!)

Actually, interesting story there. They played me their Red Valve-It amp sim and asked how I liked it. I said I didn't like it, but I was the wrong guy to ask because I didn't really like any distortion, so I made my own. One thing led to another, and the guy who coded it was a guitar player, and "got" the concept TOTALLY. IMHO the plug-in was better than the hardware . They asked what I wanted in return, and I said that the design was legally "dedicated to the public," and they had no legal or moral right to give me anything. But, they insisted that I deserved a royalty. I told them I didn't, but they worked out an agreement anyway. Hartley Peavey is the same way - he used one of my circuits in a bass, didn't owe me anything because I'd published the design, but he said he just wouldn't feel right unless I got something in return. Class acts, both of them.

But wasn't that essentially an amp sim as opposed to a cab sim?

It was not an amp sim, but a multiband distortion unit followed by a cabinet simulator. Even back then I liked going direct into PAs and mixers, and I felt the cab was an essential part of the distortion sound for guitar. It added no distortion, only filtering.
      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAceOne
        View Post

I would not go that far. Moreover the Amp-sim comes from the hardware (together with the firmware).

The iPad is and should not be more than a management/control user-interface.

I'll definitely cast my vote with yours. The DNA chips that DigiTech uses are DSP dedicated to creating guitar effects. I'm sure DTR will correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume those chips are more powerful in terms of audio processing than what you could expect from an iPad.

As to DigiTech's "baby steps," I think your "slow but steady" approach will pay off in the long run. I've seen too many companies stumble when trying to make this transition, and often, it was because they didn't really understand that selling/marketing/supporting software is a very different art compared to hardware.
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAceOne
          View Post

Thanks for the open and honest reply!

I also agree with that. I appreciate that DTR is giving us insights into how companies work in the real world.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
            View Post

I'll definitely cast my vote with yours. The DNA chips that DigiTech uses are DSP dedicated to creating guitar effects. I'm sure DTR will correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume those chips are more powerful in terms of audio processing than what you could expect from an iPad.

And the fact the iPB is featuring 2x second generation DSP DNA2 chips. (The GNX4 was powered with 1x DNA1 DSP, the recent RP-product line features 1x DNA2. And those also have to take care of the user interface.)

Although the iPad A5 CPU is quite powerful it will not reach the specialized DSP-performance.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
              View Post

We have discussed offering some sort of SDK for the iPB-10, and it may one day happen. Since we are working with very limited resources, we need to focus on getting the iPB's core functionality and spec'd features nailed down first before we worry about any external stuff. Additionally we have never offered an SDK for any of our products ever, so doing so for the iPB-10 will be a huge cultural change and a huge challenge. We are a capital "H" hardware company learning how to be a software company, we will be taking baby-steps into these areas.

That's good to hear. I understand the need to get the reg specs down first. However, baby steps are not gonna take you anywhere. If I was on your board I would be pushing hard to take a major plunge in the direction of opening it up. DT has a time sensitive opportunity here. If you can be the first modeling/effects company to provide a significant resource for developers wanting to jump in, you will be light years ahead of the competition. Apple has the biggest market share in smartphones and tablets just because they were first, not because they're really "better" in any significant way. DT already has the breakthrough hardware (not to mention the best quality in this price range) and there are so many possibilities w/software that if you allow developers to give you a boost, you won't even have to go far down that road. The devs will keep your momentum in that direction, and you guys can focus on what you do best: hardware. And on that road, at least with the iPb, the next step should be making connections which will open up the hardware to more than just iPad. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by drob
                View Post

I just ordered the Gator Micro Keyboard Bag (GK-2110) and sadly it is not quite big enough for the iPB-10. So don't waste your time getting that one. Going to try this one next: SKB SC2111

This one fits: Gator GP-ART-2214PC Artist Series Percussion Controller Bag

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Noodler@TGP
                  View Post

After living with my iPB-10 for a week and gigging with it tonight I just don't get all the angst about the patch switching time-out issue. I already pretty much know where every one of my "go to" patches live on the board (I don't even need the iPad in the unit to "see" anything). Switching to a patch in a different bank is only two quick footswitch stomps. If you need time to read the labels on each and every patch in a bank before selecting your patch then you need to think more about how you're labeling your patches or how you're organizing your banks. Sorry to be so blunt, but I just don't get it.

+1 (said something similar in an earlier post)

Comment

• More for the request queue...

After playing last night using the 4CM setup with an amp head I'd like to see the "footswitch" jack used to provide amp channel switching capability. If this is possible that would be a huge win for the iPB-10 as a "programmable pedalboard". If you think that the primary focus should be on the pedal models and not the amp models, then having the iPB-10 capable of switching channels on your external amp would be a great feature.

I also want to have a second expression pedal available as an option. Maybe that "footswitch" jack could once again be leveraged for a second expression pedal.

Comment

• I am about to order my IPB-10 and have a question. Is there any forum or site where users can/do exchange pedal settings for different specific tones? I currently have the Boss GT-10 and can download patches that other users have created. I know or understand that capability is not in the IPB-10, but even if there place to trade pedal settings would be nice.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Comment

• Not yet possible... But don't let this hold you back from ordering one!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gregg29576
                          View Post

I am about to order my IPB-10 and have a question. Is there any forum or site where users can/do exchange pedal settings for different specific tones? I currently have the Boss GT-10 and can download patches that other users have created. I know or understand that capability is not in the IPB-10, but even if there place to trade pedal settings would be nice.

That's what we've all been so patiently waiting for, since it's been hinted that patch sharing will be part of the almost nearly any day now imminent software update. And, other than taking screen shots (which is imprecise) there's no easy way to share the patch parameters. In large part, this is due to the lack of a mode which simultaneously shows or exports all patch settings in a numeric format. This is a function also on the table of hopeful changes. Currently, the only way to see the exact numerical settings is while you're modifying an individual setting. And then, only after it has already changed, so there's currently no way to see a precise numeric patch setting in static format!

Comment

• I have a whole list of change requests which I haven't even proposed yet, since the hope is that many of them are already included in the upcoming revision. Full display of numeric settings is one of them, and has already been suggested by others in this thread - which by now should rightfully be a forum all its own. Until they release an API (Application Programming Interface for non-geeks) for the iPb, we are at the mercy of DT management and a single programmer for upgrades and design improvements in the software.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
                              View Post

That's what we've all been so patiently waiting for, since it's been hinted that patch sharing will be part of the almost nearly any day now imminent software update. And, other than taking screen shots (which is imprecise) there's no easy way to share the patch parameters. In large part, this is due to the lack of a mode which simultaneously shows or exports all patch settings in a numeric format. This is a function also on the table of hopeful changes. Currently, the only way to see the exact numerical settings is while you're modifying an individual setting. And then, only after it has already changed, so there's currently no way to see a precise numeric patch setting in static format!

Thanks for helping clear that up. it would be nice to be able to share patches and maybe it will come in an update soon. I going to go ahead and order it this week so I can get started on the learning curve. I'm not sure but from hearing the demos online and listening to the same types of effects on my GT-10....the IPB-10 sounds like it blows the GT-10 away.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by moreofU
                                View Post

As for sound quality... yes! I haven't played the GT10 (used to have a GT3), bit I can vouch that the iPB10 sounds awesome!

as a follow-up to my previous post about forgetting the iPad when i went to rehearsal on thursday... I DIDN'T forget it on sunday morning. I was able to create some quick tones based off of some other tones I had made for the 3 songs I was playing. After I played my part in the service, I went to the tech booth to work the camera. another guy played my guitar for the last song. Well, i've never been out in the congregation to hear my own guitar as I am unable to clone myself. I leaned over to the sound guy and said "Dude. My guitar sounds awesome!" He said I know and that it sounds better than any of the others. The rest of the morning and at the afternoon church picnic, i've never gotten so many compliments about both my playing and the tone. I didn't really want to be noticed that much during the service, but it's good to know it sounds good.

From perspective, it's the plethora of pedal and amp choices that I have, and that it's so easy to manipulate the sound. Of course, I'll take some credit in knowing how to shape the sound with the pedals, but having all the tools makes it easier than trying to get something you want out of limited resources that can't do what you want.

The only issues I had (that probably only I noticed) was during sound check I had tweaked (and saved) 4 patches to my liking and after switching several banks too fast, the app crashed. When I brought it back up, my patches that i had just created (and saved) were gone and it reverted back to the factory patches in that bank. But I think this has more to do with it being an iPad 1 which I've seen and others have reported having this problem. So the moral of the story is either don't switch too many patches too quick, or get and iPad 2 or 3. But DO know that the iPB sounds SWEET! I heard it for myself.

Thanks for the feedback on that. My GT-10 sounds pretty good when you are just using tone effects like delay, chorus, flanger, etc. But any of the overdrives or distortions sound like I'm playing in a tin can. Very animated rather than a real overdrive sound like my amps dirty channel. Just sounds horrible to me.

I have the iPad 1 but I may pick up a 2 or 3 used and dedicate it to the IPB-10.

Comment

Working...
                                X