No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
    View Post

This is what we are planning to do, we have higher priorities for future updates but we will try to slot it in at some point.

Ok, thanks. But have you considered that because a change to the hard-coded parameters is basically a no-brainer, that maybe it should be included in the VERY NEXT firmware/software update which applies? It never makes sense to put off a simple thing, when you can scratch it off your list quickly. Just sayin...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
      View Post

A rational voice. However, virtually anything is feasible, I think you mean cost-effective. If DT management decides it's not cost-effective to set up user preferences on these TWO timing issues, I certainly can understand that.

Your comments are premature; as DTR said, "This is what we are planning to do [making some parameters user preferences], we have higher priorities for future updates but we will try to slot it in at some point." So that would certainly indicate not just changing to a different hard-coded value.

Personally, given a choice for a hard-coded value which might please you and displease others in one month or a variable parameter in four months, I'd vote for the latter.

What I'm seeing here among those that want to support these settings is a lot of rationalization.

Another possibility is that a lot of people just don't think it's a big deal. They organize their patches the way they like, they select them, they don't run into problems...they don't care, and don't find the current values a problem It probably never even occurred to them that it was a problem for some people until they saw this thread.

Am I the only one that makes frequent new patches, changes settings alot, and doesn't want to have to re-organize my banks if my set list changes? Is everyone really that organized? Or are they just willing to submit to the way things are?

It's not a question of submitting, it's a question of not finding it a problem. For example, to one of the people here, being able to put five delays in series is really important. That's all well and good, but the iPB-10 can't do that currently. But someone who doesn't want to put five delays in series simply won't care. They're not "submitting" to a limitation if they don't perceive it as a limitation. That person isn't coming in here complaining that people are submitting to not being able to put five delay in series. He made his point, a couple people said "yeah, that would be nice" but there was no huge groundswell of people clamoring for that feature. That's the kind of data the companies use when prioritizing decisions.

The crux of the issue is this: What is the REAL REASON for the reversion in the first place? Ther is ONLY one that I can see: There is no exit key for "bank select" mode, so if a selection is never made, the lights would keep on flashing indefinitely.

Well, there's another one; without an Exit or Cancel option, you would be forced to select a patch to exit bank select mode. If you made a mistake and ended up in the wrong bank, you would be forced to choose a patch you didn't want.

I have suggested the solution several times: a double tap on any patch would exit bank select mode WITHOUT selecting

Yes, it would be possible to program a double-click on a switch or something like that, but I've seen that movie before with other manufacturers...there are always complaints that people have to click too fast, or that it's not fast enough, or if they don't double-click in time then some other problem happens, etc. The latter is always a distinct possibility - you click once, your foot slides off the switch on the next press, and now something has happened that you don't want at all. Things are not always as simple or obvious as they might seem.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Who will be displeased if the timeout is made to say 15 seconds? This IS the quick fix. And if DT so chooses, they can go the extra mile and make it user configurable in 4 months. I personally don't see that as necessary. Best solution is to have an exit key for quick exit AND a much longer timeout as fallback. Who will be displeased? It can work for everyone!

As to submitting, point taken. But I would remind you that you yourself stated that it bothered you in the beginning. Then you got used to it. Is that submission, or adaptation? Just different words for the same response. I definitely understand your points of view, so do not want to argue. If I were DT however, I would be listening to both sides of this and asking myself: How can we please the MOST people, and how can we make this product really shine on the showroom floor? These timing issues, IMO, are not the way.

Comment

• I'm sorry paka, this will not be in the next release. We will try to schedule it into a future release.

Comment

View Post

But I would remind you that you yourself stated that it bothered you in the beginning. Then you got used to it. Is that submission, or adaptation?

Neither, actually; t's the difference between learning an unfamiliar unit, and using a familiar one. It's like with keyboards, where I have to look at the manual for every button press for a while, but then I just whiz around the buttons.

Comment

• Hi everyone....Anderton and Digitechrep. I don't own an IPB-10 as of yet but wanted to sign up just so I could bi*ch about it....is that okay? Sorry..I just had to. Really I don't own one yet but am currently looking to sell my ahem....Boss GT-10 so I can buy the IPB-10. I've looked, listened and read what everyone says here and I am really looking forward to getting the IPB-10 in my grimy little hands. Even with some of the complaints I see here, I still think it will be much easier to navigate and program than the GT-10 I have now. Don't get me wrong. I like my GT-10, but it has it shortfalls as well. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thanks for letting me troll through here to help me make up my mind on the IPB-10. Hopefully I'll have it soon adn can share my experiences with with the rest of the board.

Thanks!

Comment

• Hi gregg29576!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                  View Post

Neither, actually; t's the difference between learning an unfamiliar unit, and using a familiar one. It's like with keyboards, where I have to look at the manual for every button press for a while, but then I just whiz around the buttons.

Craig - I respect you too much to argue with you. Thanks for putting up with the whinings of a perfectionist (you too DigiTechRep). I will officially shut up on this issue now!

For those like Gregg considering purchasing the iPB-10, DO NOT HESITATE just because some insolent old curmudgeons are bitching about fine points. It's a GREAT sounding unit and has so many positives that you would be INSANE not to try one out!

Comment

View Post

Craig - I respect you too much to argue with you. Thanks for putting up with the whinings of a perfectionist (you too DigiTechRep). I will officially shut up on this issue now!

For those like Gregg considering purchasing the iPB-10, DO NOT HESITATE just because some insolent old curmudgeons are bitching about fine points. It's a GREAT sounding unit and has so many positives that you would be INSANE not to try one out!

Don't worry paka...you haven't discouraged me! I like people who can argue...debate with passion AND respect for each other. It shows you have a passion for what you do and what you want to achieve.

I've listened to many of the demos of the IPB-10 and it just sounds so sweet and so real.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gregg29576
                      View Post

Don't worry paka...you haven't discouraged me! I like people who can argue...debate with passion AND respect for each other. It shows you have a passion for what you do and what you want to achieve.

That's the thing about Paka...his attitude isn't "this sucks," it's "here's how to make it perfect for what I want!" This is music; people form emotional attachments with their gear because it's how they express themselves.

I'll be interested in hearing your opinions about the iPB-10. Don't know if you heard the examples I posted way back when, but your use of the word "sweet" is pretty accurate. It seems to me that new generations of DigiTech DNA modeling do indeed get sweeter; I wonder if that relates to the use of multiple DNA chips in a single unit, whether they're getting more refined in their algorithms, or...well, it's probably all of the above.

Comment

View Post

Where's the emoticon for "group hug"?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                          View Post

This is music; people form emotional attachments with their gear because it's how they express themselves.

Well said, Dr. Anderton. Sorry, no group hug.

Comment

View Post

I fail to see how that 2.7 seconds was a "lifesaver". Even without reversion, the bank/patch would not have changed; your sound would not have changed. It would have remained in "bank select" mode, patiently awaiting your next move. In fact, I believe your initial panic was likely induced by your learned response that you had some sort of time limit to respond. It's an unconscious behavioral control mechanism, like the old "Skinner box" experiments - you know, where the rats got zapped if they hit the wrong button, and got rewarded with food if they hit the right button. (I for one, don't like being treated like a rat!) You may have felt saved, but in reality, it was the iPB's CONDITIONING which caused you to panic, and then made you wait (unnecessarily since you could have just tapped bank down twice without waiting).

What I'm seeing here among those that want to support these settings is a lot of rationalization. Many people are willing to fit into DT's mold by saying "I can get along with it", "If you organize your patches the right way", "It was a lifesaver". There are those of us who feel strongly (including MANY supporters when they were new to the unit) that we don't want to be rushed, and we don't want to be conditioned to induce panic. Am I the only one that makes frequent new patches, changes settings alot, and doesn't want to have to re-organize my banks if my set list changes? Is everyone really that organized? Or are they just willing to submit to the way things are?

The crux of the issue is this: What is the REAL REASON for the reversion in the first place? Ther is ONLY one that I can see: There is no exit key for "bank select" mode, so if a selection is never made, the lights would keep on flashing indefinitely. I have suggested the solution several times: a double tap on any patch would exit bank select mode WITHOUT selecting. But this solution seems to have eluded DT designers, and I wish they would consider it (or some other "exit key" solution).

Until we get a reasonable resolution, I'm gonna start calling the iPB my Skinner Box - affectionately of course!

The psychoanalysis is really patronizing, and it has the side effect of making me wonder exactly how much you've actually used the unit.

If you hit the up/down buttons, the banks will scroll without changing the patch. What I'm saying is that I accidentally hit the button an unknown/unintentional number of times. In a dark room, in the middle of a song it's difficult to analyze the display to figure out where I was and therefore, where I had to go to get to my desired patch. Thanks to the current timeout, I didn't have to do that...I simply waited and the display reset to my current patch after a couple seconds.

I suppose I could follow your lead and launch into a long analysis of how our schools are failing to impart good reading comprehension skills, but I think I'll take the high road instead......

Comment

• Fair enough, R2112. Points noted. There are always many sides to every story, and none has to be completely "correct". My only intention is to present alternative perspectives, not to step on individual feelings, so for that I apologize.

... of course, by mentioning the "low" road, are you not already embarking on it?

Comment

• Question for Anderton or anyone else that wants to offer an opinion. I'm wondering how you think the IPB-10 will work with my gear. I currently have a PRS 2 Channel-H amp head with a 2x12 custom made cabinet. (sealed back) I have two 12" Eminence "Swamp Thang" speakers. My guitars are a PRS 20th Anniversary Custom 24 that I have installed a matched pair of BareKnuckle Abraxas pickups. Also have a 1975 Ibanez "Strat" (lawsuit series) with the EMG DG-20 (Gilmore) pickups. (Love me some David Gilmore). I am currently using my Boss GT-10 in a 4CM using the effects loop send/return. I'm not really using amp modeling since I love the way the dirty channel sounds on my amp. I guess my question is....should I use the IPB-10 in 4cm or just go straight in and use some of the modeling in the IPB-10? Or do you think its' just going to be trial and error?

Thanks for any input.

Comment

Working...
                                X