No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by MNStratGuy
    View Post

I know people have asked this, and I know you can't commit to anything really... just curious as to what your thoughts are as to when that update might possibly be released?

I'm not saying anything about dates anymore.

To clarify, just use the 'Stomp Loop' jacks, and not the 'Amp Loop' jacks?

No, just use the regular in and out.

Comment

• okay - thanks so much for your reply DigiTechRep. I appreciate the info!

I have one other question - I currently use a Line6 M13. I want to get an iPB-10 and give that a shot. currently, for a solo boost, I use an EP Booster in the FX Loop of the M13. it boosts the output of my signal a little - but it does this in the middle of the FX loop on the M13, sending the boosted signal level back into the M13 for further processing, before ultimately going on to the output to my amp. I find this to work quite well, and also frees up my use of the EQ model in the M13 for this purpose.

I've not run into this problem on the M13, but because it boosts the signal, could I possibly distort the remaining FX patched 'after' where the loop is inserted? the signal isn't boosted much - in fact, I have the volume on the EP Booster set at minimum - just kicking it on brings it up enough it seems. I was initially concerned about overloading the converters in the M13, but that hasn't seemed to be a problem. I have a couple of distortion / OD boxes I run in the loop in my current setup that I initially would like to try with the iPB-10. one of them is the iStomp, and it sounds FANTASTIC with my Bassman. I know the models probably aren't the same from the iStomp to the iPB, but I'm hoping to ditch some more pedals and just rely solely on a MFX unit.

Comment

• It should work fine either in the normal input or in the StompLoop. In the StompLoop would be ideal since the loop can be located anywhere in the iPB-10's signal chain, and you can save its on/off state with a preset.

Comment

• See below, wasn't finished with the post yet

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAceOne
            View Post

Craig, you are right. Kudos to DigiTechRep (and to yourself BTW ;-))

I think I'm still angry for the way they fooled me for months about the GNX4 OS-X 10.5 driver and X-Edit software update which finally never arrived :-( Although DT-Support emailed me several times "it's coming. It's in test

I'm hoping that you at least dig your iPB-10 with the feature set as is. The new features will certainly be cool, but we released it feeling pretty good about the existing feature set.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
              View Post

I think that kind of behavior deserves kudos, frankly. He can't win either way. If the update is pushed out ahead of schedule to meet a deadline and has problems, people will complain that it has problems. If he waits until they've done enough QC that the company feels confident about it, then people will complain that it's been delayed.

Craig, you are right. Kudos to DigiTechRep (and to yourself BTW ;-))

I think I'm still angry for the way they fooled me for months (literally!) about the GNX4 OS-X 10.5 driver and X-Edit software update which in the end never arrived :-(

Back that time DT-Support had emailed me several times saying "it's coming. it's in test. it's almost there" over months. Seriously! Then came OS-X 10.6 and 10.7. Then they finally discontinued the GNX4 and it was clear that no update would ever arrive :-(

Once bitten, twice shy. Guess that's all.

Cheers,

SpaceAce

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep
                View Post

but we released it feeling pretty good about the existing feature set.

It's a great device, no doubt about it. And while it's already packed with lots and great features there always something missed or sought after even more. Nothing wrong with that as long as support and updates are coming regularly and over a reasonable product lifetime.

I still wonder if DT is satisfied with the sales figures of the iPB10 and if it has exceeded a required threshold to continue support for it?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAceOne
                  View Post

It's a great device, no doubt about it. And while it's already packed with lots and great features there always something missed or sought after even more. Nothing wrong with that as long as support and updates are coming regularly and over a reasonable product lifetime.

So overall, you dig yours?

I still wonder if DT is satisfied with the sales figures of the iPB10 and if it has exceeded a required threshold to continue support for it?

Odd question, sales are never satisfactory.

Comment

• I had a quick question on the USB interface. I read in the manual you can connect to a daw for recording. Could this also work as a straight usb interface with other software amps sims that reside on my pc?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GYM1
                      View Post

I had a quick question on the USB interface. I read in the manual you can connect to a daw for recording. Could this also work as a straight usb interface with other software amps sims that reside on my pc?

Hm, possibly, I don't really know, I've never tried this. If it works at all I'd imagine the latency would be brutal.

Comment

• Thanks. If I ever get around to this one with my ipb 10 will let you know what I find.

Comment

• Since you cant talk about specific details, could you hint if they are adding any pedals to the next update or just features and fixes.

Comment

View Post

Hm, possibly, I don't really know, I've never tried this. If it works at all I'd imagine the latency would be brutal.

Aha! I get to teach you something about the iPB-10 for a change!! The USB interface feature is actually very cool, for a couple reasons. We'll cover Windows first, then Mac.

Note that with Windows machines this is a WDM driver, not ASIO. So in your host, you'll need to select WDM, WASAPI, or WaveRT (in ascending order of preference) as the driver mode under Preferences, or wherever you choose the driver mode. If you select ASIO as the driver nothing will blow up, but "DigiTech iPB-10 In/Out" will not show up as an available input or output. You also don't want to use MME or DirectX (unfortunately, the only non-ASIO Windows option with Ableton Live), because then the latency will be so long as to be unusable.

With Sonar using WDM, the lowest I could go was 441 samples, or 10ms latency. With WASAPI as the driver mode, Sonar could hit 220 samples (5 ms) with no problems.

With Mixcraft 6, which offers WaveRT, I could get down to 5ms (Mixcraft doesn't indicate the number of sample buffers, but I assume this would be around the same as WASAPI on Sonar). Presumably these latency figures are one-way, not round-trip, but still those are still more than acceptable and on a par with many commercially-available audio interfaces. I was quite surprised that the iPB-10 drivers were compatible with WaveRT; not that many are.

With Core Audio, using an older Quad Core Xeon Mac I was able to get 45 samples with Ableton Live - excellent performance, with a listed 6.3ms round-trip latency.

However, the really cool part is that under the iPB-10's settings, you can adjust the ratio of what you're hearing from the DAW's output via USB, and what's coming from the iPB-10. If you monitor from the iPB-10, you essentially get zero-latency monitoring with effects because you're listening to the iPB-10 output, not monitoring through the computer. So typically for this mode you'd turn the DAW track's input echo (also called input monitor) off, and set the iPB-10 XLR fader mix for 50% USB and 50% iPB-10. Then you'll hear your DAW's tracks from the USB side, and your guitar (with zero latency and any iPB-10 processing) from the iPB-10 side.

If your computer is fast enough that you can get 10ms or latency or under (preferably under), then you can monitor solely via USB and turn on input echo/input monitoring at your DAW so you can monitor your guitar through the computer. This lets you monitor the guitar through any plug-ins inserted into your guitar's track, with of course the tradeoff being the latency caused by monitoring through the computer.

So yes indeed, you can use the USB as a decent computer audio interface, and as long as your host supports one of the faster Windows audio protocols or you're using a recent Mac, you're in good shape.

But wait - there's more! The audio interfacing is class-compliant, and doesn't require installing drivers for either Windows or Core Audio. Furthermore, it seems very few people realize that WDM/WASAPI/WaveRT drivers have been able to aggregate multiple interfaces for years. (Apple Core Audio can aggregate too; it got a bad reputation because it didn't work all that well initially, but these days it's pretty reliable.) So, you can still use your favorite, go-to interface along with the one in the iPB-10.

Cool, eh?
                            N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Very Cool! Thanks Craig!

Comment

View Post

So overall, you dig yours?

Odd question, sales are never satisfactory.

Yes, I dig it. (I'm an IT-guy musician so I got the hang of it quite fast...

Regarding sales: You know what I meant...

Comment

Working...
                                X