No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Noodler@TGP
    View Post

I have to admit that in all the excitement for the new release, I am disappointed that there wasn't a single new pedal included. I either want some new pedals made available or some hooks put into the iPB-10 so that we can use the iStomp library of available pedals.

I seem to remember this in previous threat, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Noodler@TGP
      View Post

BTW - I do have the FS3X, but I can't figure out how to make it do anything besides control the music player.

It does not do anything more than controlling the iTunes music player for now.

As you have quoted DigiTechRep yourself you might want to read it again. He says: "Right now it controls iTunes..."

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
        View Post

PIcking up the description field, let me also point out the folloiwng

To date we have been taking about Artist , Song ( and now Description)

But there is also Name. Its important, as when I imported U2/Mysterious Ways, I thought it didnt work...but I later found it under Edge-Mysterious Edit !

Name is easy to pull out as its part of the file name.

So I am going to start displaying that Name next.

Still open tot consider Description. paka, as thats your domain, perhaps we can test it off line to see if its even feasible

I do think it would be better for people to use the Description field rather than just emailing text to mediaman. That way it stays with the patch permanently.

Actually, it's pretty easy to parse out the Description text manually. I don't wanna take the time to write a parser right now, but will be happy to do the jquery popup. If you can make a field for description showing the first 12 chars with an link icon next to it for a popup, I will write the code and email it to you with further details. Patch posters should then (optionally) put a description in the patch their name, guitar/amp settings, which parts to use with which effects within the patch, etc.

Comment

View Post

But there is also Name. Its important, as when I imported U2/Mysterious Ways, I thought it didnt work...but I later found it under Edge-Mysterious Edit !

Sorry, my fault on the awkward name...I had the same experience opening Black Sabbath and thinking it didn't work, until I saw it under Sabbath Black. Minor enhancement request, it would be nice if opening a preset file would load that preset into the pedalboard view when opening.

MediaMan, great job on organizing this and making a library where we can share tones. Getting the MIME type set properly is huge, so I can do all this from the iPad without plugging into a computer. Kudos!

I do try to use the fields in the patch: description, artist, etc. Is anyone else experiencing a Nexus crash whenever they try to tap on the Genre field in either the My Library, or Assigned views?

Comment

View Post

So I am going to start displaying that Name next.

Okay, this is now (automatically) done. Its derived from the preset file (that sers send me, ie I cant change it).

This helped shed a lot of light for me, as I can now see where to expect the preset to show up in Nexus.

Name now shows up in all the ready reference listings. As well, I added another sort/filter listing, ie one By Name.

Paka is making two other points, both valid, but needing some discussion (and discipline), and that is:

1) that we should agree on some convention that we all use for Name (aka Tone Title ), as this utimately how the shared preset file is automatiicaly named.

2) that we should agree on some convention on how to best use the description filed, as this meta data can be extracted for ready reference, and because it will cut down on having to manually email that info alsong with the preset.

Next steps

- ALL : share some ideas on conventions for Name (akaTone Title) and Description. As a mimumin the should include User name.

- paka : can your scriptisalso pull out Song and Artist?
            iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
            My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

• To all non-geek types, for now, feel free to email presets anyway you like ; I'll sort it out anf follw-up with you as needed. The main thing is we get to share stuff.

Once we have our 'rules/conventions', things will be even easier.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Illinidan
                View Post

Is anyone else experiencing a Nexus crash whenever they try to tap on the Genre field in either the My Library, or Assigned views?

YES.

Comment

• For those of you who have tried my tones please give some feedback on what you think.

Comment

View Post

Is anyone else experiencing a Nexus crash whenever they try to tap on the Genre field in either the My Library, or Assigned views?

Forwarded to engineering!

Comment

View Post

I do try to use the fields in the patch: description, artist, etc. Is anyone else experiencing a Nexus crash whenever they try to tap on the Genre field in either the My Library, or Assigned views?

No crash here, but I don't even have an option for tapping on the Genre field in the Assigned view. I do have Name and Genre as options on My Library and Factory Tones.

What gives? We're both running the same version, so this is a strange bug.

Comment

View Post

- paka : can your scriptisalso pull out Song and Artist?

I think we have our wires crossed. What I tried to say was that (for now) I will not be writing a parser to extract anything from the raw .ipb10p files. That's a fairly large task involving, among other things, dynamic access to the posted files, server scripting access, etc. What I tried to point out is that by just viewing the raw .ipb10p files in a text editor, the description field can be manually parsed out (by you!) - i.e. cut/pasted into a field on your HTML data sheet. That field would show the first 12 chars or so of the desc and then a small icon. When icon is clicked (or even hovered) , it will pop up an overlay screen with the full text of the description field. Just a way to economically display data too large for the screen. It's not essential, since you could just do what your doing with the "gear" column now. But that's already getting a little messy, I think. Personally, the gear stuff might be better off showing when hovering over the User, also to conserve space and try to keep everything on even rows. (Esp. because gear info is also redundant to user in most cases)

Comment

• Yes- crash when I try to edit genre

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by paka
                            View Post

I think we have our wires crossed. What I tried to say was that (for now) I will not be writing a parser to extract anything from the raw .ipb10p files. That's a fairly large task involving, among other things, dynamic access to the posted files, server scripting access, etc. What I tried to point out is that by just viewing the raw .ipb10p files in a text editor, the description field can be manually parsed out (by you!) - i.e. cut/pasted into a field on your HTML data sheet. That field would show the first 12 chars or so of the desc and then a small icon. When icon is clicked (or even hovered) , it will pop up an overlay screen with the full text of the description field. Just a way to economically display data too large for the screen. It's not essential, since you could just do what your doing with the "gear" column now. But that's already getting a little messy, I think. Personally, the gear stuff might be better off showing when hovering over the User, also to conserve space and try to keep everything on even rows. (Esp. because gear info is also redundant to user in most cases)

Quote Originally Posted by paka
                            View Post

Yes! Working great now. One tweak I would suggest for everyone with special note to MediaMan: Make sure to name the patch something obvious and the name in the name column of Ready Ref site should match that exactly. I just downloaded Mysterious Ways but could not find it. After much head scratching and searching, I found it in Nexus with the title "Edge - Mysterious Edit".

We might want to go a bit further and adopt some naming conventions. For instance, if the patch is for a specific song, then always start the name of the patch with the song name, like "Mysterious Ways - Edge Edit". This becomes especially important as the library starts to grow, because Nexus, as of this update, does not allow sorting on artist or song, but only on Name. If it's a general sound like "Brian May Sound" then we can use the artist's name as the first word in the Name field, followed by a descriptive word like "sound" or "tone", etc. Not trying to get too anal here, but I think this library will grow quickly and I think it would become a nightmare if we all renamed the tones once that got into our own libraries. We won't know what we have vs. what we don't.

Another suggested convention: patch uploaders should probably include their user name somewhere in the Description field. Otherwise, we can get too patches with the same name and not know where they came from (Nexus will simply add "- Copy", etc.). Could also put that into the Artist field after the real aritst: "Edge/Illinidan". Maybe Mediaman can decide which conventions to use and put them in the instructions for uploading.

Add to suggestion box: Nexus: ability to sort patches on artist, song, genre.

My sense is this. Keep it simple. For both users and me

Recall the shared library concept is not (yet) a native part of the product. We have defacto created one, in literrally hours. outside of Nexus - pretty cool - and the reference site is filling a big void in that regard.

Its suprisingly working pretty well (after our teething pains), so I wouldn't want to mess with it too much, especially because :

1) While it may be techincally possible to build a high-end web app to seamlessly auto process an emailed attachement , and extract meta data from it, and allow users direct editing etc. etc etc. thats really a bit more that I want to chew.

2) MOST IMPORTANT - I think we need to be careful not to over complicate things, or be too onerous on users when it comes to naming conventions. I'm all for automation, and even up for a little manual work at my end (clearly) for the greater good to make the ipb10 experience better, ..but it may not be practical to adopt conventions/suggestions which really can't be enforced. EG the "rules " may suggest naming a patch as Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar, but some may need to called it Set 1 - Stones. Some may want Brown Sugar, some may want Jagger - Rock. And users may or may not want to bother with descriptions. So if data cant be validated at the source, getting too clever might not be a great idea.

3) While clean standardized NAMES are of course desireable, and a NAMEing convention like artist-song, it cannot be enfored. And regardlesa of clean/dirty names. they likely would always, be tweaked, once imported to meet individual preferences.

So that said, all we really need for the library concept, is for the user to
                            • name the tone with a artist-song convention if possible, if not dont sweat it

• send the preset file via NEXUS ( as they have been doing today) to resets@mediamanhost.com" rel="nofollow">presets@mediamanhost.com

• leave the subject line as is (so I can auto rule them)

• somewhere in the body include

-Song (if not already in the name)

-Artist (if not already in the name_

-user name (if not already obvious from the sending email address)

Note, on the reference site, the psosted Song and Artist can be enforced , (ie I will keep then clean and will respond to user feedback to clean them) so perhaps that's the best solution in the end.

Thoughts?

Final point, I look at this as an interim solution. I'm up for continuous incremental improvement. Beyond that, if you, or the other gurus, or DT, want to build the ultimate preset sharing app, I say go for it!

Comment

• I have a question maybe someone can answer. After the update....when I try to create and save a patch/tone and give it a name, I can't get the ipad keyboard to open so that I can type in the text field to name it. I know I was able to do this before the update. Am I losing my feeble old mind???

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gregg29576
                                View Post

I have a question maybe someone can answer. After the update....when I try to create and save a patch/tone and give it a name, I can't get the ipad keyboard to open so that I can type in the text field to name it. I know I was able to do this before the update. Am I losing my feeble old mind???

Can you edit the name under My Library??

Comment

Working...
                                X